Old 07-09-2018, 07:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The godparents explained:
Prince Louis' godparents REVEALED | Daily Mail Online

Old 07-09-2018, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Very sad to hear the that Queen and the Duke won't be present today!

Old 07-09-2018, 07:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Is there a difference between The Lady Laura Meade and Lady Laura Meade ? Or is the word The just the most official form of address? Meaning that it was The Lady Diana Spencer as well?
Old 07-09-2018, 07:22 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Is there a difference between The Lady Laura Meade and Lady Laura Meade ? Or is the word The just the most official form of address? Meaning that it was The Lady Diana Spencer as well?
Yes, Diana was The Lady Diana Spencer (that's what was on the wedding invitations).

I *think* there are some women styled "lady" who aren't entitled to the "the," like ladies of the Garter and Thistle.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I'm shocked that the Queen and DoE are not attending. Didn't they attend the Christenings for their other 5 great-grandchildren?

I picked Harry Aubrey-Fletcher as a godfather so i'm pleased to see him chosen. I picked Lucy Middleton for Charlotte so I was one child off for her.

I'm quite surprised William chose Guy Pelly and Nicolas van Cutsem. While both are close friends, they are both controversial men. I guess since it's the third child and the Queen isn't attending, William thought he could be a little looser with his choices.
God parents are for life, not just for the Christening! I am sure the choice of God parents had nothing to do with who may or may not attend the christening.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Maybe The because her father is the current Earl? If he was deceased maybe she'd lose 'The'. I don't know, just a guess.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:25 AM
Serene Highness

Hmm, the Queen not attending (and Philip) is very interesting. I don't generally trust BP when they say it isn't for health reasons...

Then again, maybe the Queen is simply exhausted. She had a busy week of engagements last week and another this week and may just want to take it easier. Philip's lack of attendance I wonder if that has more to do with it being in London versus Windsor?

Pretty surprised Guy Pelly made the cut for godparent lol. But then again, he has shown himself to be a loyal friend even if he has made some interesting choices.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Wikipedia says:

Daughters of Dukes, Marquesses and Earls are The Lady on envelope and Lady in oral.
The same counts for the wives of Dukes and of Marquesses.

So it was always Lady Diana because it was in oral form.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Whenever the Queen misses an important event, there is speculation about her health. The fact that the Palace made a point to deny that her absence was due to health concerns actually has the opposite effect of increasing the speculation.
I agree. I don't think the PR folks are totally honest about health issues. There might be complicated, layered reasons, one being a judicious sense of how often does one ascribe an absence to 'feeling poorly'. Better to just say there will be an absence and move on.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
Hmm, the Queen not attending (and Philip) is very interesting. I don't generally trust BP when they say it isn't for health reasons...

Then again, maybe the Queen is simply exhausted. She had a busy week of engagements last week and another this week and may just want to take it easier. Philip's lack of attendance I wonder if that has more to do with it being in London versus Windsor?

Pretty surprised Guy Pelly made the cut for godparent lol. But then again, he has shown himself to be a loyal friend even if he has made some interesting choices.
Loyalty and good friendships means a lot to the royals.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I felt pretty sure Lady Laura Meade would be one of the godparents when I saw her with Kate and the children at that polo match. They seemed very friendly.

I am a bit surprised they didn't choose a royal cousin, though.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I'm shocked that the Queen and DoE are not attending. Didn't they attend the Christenings for their other 5 great-grandchildren?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I did not expect this, I wonder about the reason behind it. The christening of a great grandchild is really special, why miss it if not for health reasons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Whenever the Queen misses an important event, there is speculation about her health. The fact that the Palace made a point to deny that her absence was due to health concerns actually has the opposite effect of increasing the speculation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I agree. I don't think the PR folks are totally honest about health issues. There might be complicated, layered reasons, one being a judicious sense of how often does one ascribe an absence to 'feeling poorly'. Better to just say there will be an absence and move on.
Well, perhaps we should just calm down a bit.

1. According to all reliable sources during the past few years, the Queen is in ''remarkable'' god health for her age (yes that's the word they have been using), and if you take a look at her when she is out and about, you'll se it.

2. She has been spending her weekend with Philip in Norfolk, following her busy schedule in Scotland last week, and is on her way back to London today for yet a busy schedule this week.

Tweets from Rebecca English:

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will not be attending today's christening. There's no health issue for the Queen. She was working flat out in Scotland last week and has got a busy few days in London with the RAF Centenary event tomorrow and #Trump on Friday.

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
The Queen & Philip have just spent the weekend together in Norfolk. He is remaining there while she travels back to London today. Her decision not to attend was mutually agreed with William & Kate, while Philip clearly doesn't want to attend public events unless he really has to.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Serene Highness

People are hardly being hysterical, just discussing behavior seemingly out of the normal for the Queen.

And just because BP says there is no health doesn’t mean anything, for the record. The Queen is spry for 92 but 92 is still 92.

As it is, I myself lean more toward her being tired and taking some extra time to rest. I am sure William doesn’t begrudge his grandmother that and she will see plenty of Louis over the next few months.

I think I am also still getting used to Philip’s total retirement from public life. I thought these family occasions like christenings he would attend. I wonder if there was a discussion about holding the christening in Norfolk again to make it a little easier for Philip? He probably didn’t want the fuss.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

I am very surprised, somewhat shocked even, that the Queen and DoE are not attending the Christening....I can't imagine any reason for them not to. Ill health has been denied, they aren't out of the country etc. This is just very strange to me.

LaRae
Old 07-09-2018, 09:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Of course William and Catherine understand The Queen and Prince Philip not being able to attend, but the media and folks online still aren’t used to the fact that The Queen and Prince Philip are old. Prince Philip is retired and Her Majesty is being careful with her activities.

Don’t know if anyone paid attention to The Queen after the Royal Garden Party in Scotland. The woman looked drained by the end of it. Look at the video.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-09-2018, 09:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm going to factor in the the heat wave that seems to have been hitting the UK lately. Places like the chapel at St. James are most likely not air conditioned. A large city such as London tends to hold in the heat more so that open land so with a high expected of 83F today, that is probably taken into consideration. As we grow older (and I can attest to this fact), the heat is far more bothersome and uncomfortable. When the normal temps for July is in the mid 70sF, climbing into the 80s is *hot*.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I am very surprised, somewhat shocked even, that the Queen and DoE are not attending the Christening....I can't imagine any reason for them not to. Ill health has been denied, they aren't out of the country etc. This is just very strange to me.

LaRae
But they didn't attend Isla's christening back in 2012 either, did they? And in that case, I see nothing weird in them not attending William and Catherine's third child's christening when they didn't attend Peter and Autumn's second child's christening

Old 07-09-2018, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen is 92 and has a busy week. This week is also a massive one with the prep for Trump's arrival on Friday as well as the RAF celebrations tomorrow. It would have been nice for her attendance today but clearly everyone understands. But I also get why it is a surprise for many and it rightfully threw many off.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The Queen is 92 and has a busy week. This week is also a massive one with the prep for Trump's arrival on Friday as well as the RAF celebrations tomorrow. It would have been nice for her attendance today but clearly everyone understands. But I also get why it is a surprise for many and it rightfully threw many off.
I agree. As unfortunate as it is, it is understandable why the Queen and Phillip might have opted out. I am sure William and Catherine understand their reasoning and bear no ill or hurt feelings.

Although, I reckon it might have been wise to announce it prior to today (as it is stated that the decision has been made some time ago).
Old 07-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
But they didn't attend Isla's christening back in 2012 either, did they? And in that case, I see nothing weird in them not attending William and Catherine's third child's christening when they didn't attend Peter and Autumn's second child's christening

Different situation. Peter and Autumn live as private people. William is the heir of the heir. Louis's brother will be a King.

LaRae