The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-15-2018, 06:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I like that Louis' blood relatives (plus Camilla and James Matthews ) all wore blue and/or white. It was a perfect color scheme with the room.

For the most part I like the photos, though I probably would have made James Matthews and Meghan the bookends in the group photo, so in the event of divorce (especially any messy ones) both could be an easy crop out.

Quite rude and obnoxious of you to make such a suggestion.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
[/B]

Quite rude and obnoxious of you to make such a suggestion.
Actually, it's quite a common practice where I'm from. Just like you don't pick in-laws for godparents in case of a divorce. Unless you're closer to the in-law than you are to the blood relative spouse.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Nobility

Princess Charlotte looked so different on this day. I think it is the part in
her hair.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Majesty

Princess Charlotte is going to be a character. You can see it in her eyes
Old 07-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Royal Highness

Love the pictures except for the strange one with William and family standing, not good at all. Yet love the one with Catherine and Louis , what an outstanding picture, shows the deep love of a mother for her child. Yes as everyone said here, miss HM and Philip in the pictures. They so belong there with the rest of the family ....
Old 07-15-2018, 07:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Actually, it's quite a common practice where I'm from. Just like you don't pick in-laws for godparents in case of a divorce. Unless you're closer to the in-law than you are to the blood relative spouse.
Well fortunately for many people we don't all live in a cynical world where 'oh well you aren't blood so we should keep you out on the fringe just in case your wedding disolves'. Many people actually define family by more then blood. Divorce ends a marriage, not a family.

Harry had the ex wives of 2 Uncles at his wedding (Charles' first wife and Fergie). Margaret's ex husband was often included. Tom PB's wife who he is separated from, Sarah, was invited to the wedding.

Did you suggest Kate should be pushed to the edge of Harry and Meghan's wedding photos, just in case her marriage ends??
Old 07-15-2018, 07:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I like that Louis' blood relatives (plus Camilla and James Matthews ) all wore blue and/or white. It was a perfect color scheme with the room.

For the most part I like the photos, though I probably would have made James Matthews and Meghan the bookends in the group photo, so in the event of divorce (especially any messy ones) both could be an easy crop out.
Well, they are part of the family now, so I don't see a reason to position them differently (should Camilla be positioned differently as well? And what about Catherine? She is not a birth member of the royal family...); and cropping them out would be pointless anyway as these are the official photographs.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:40 PM
Courtier

I like the pictures. My least favorite is the one of the 5 Cambridges with the grey background. I think I would have liked it better if William and Kate had been sitting and George and Charlotte standing. As it is, the height difference between the parents and the two kids makes it awkward. I wish there had been a picture of Prince Charles with his grandchildren. I don't recall ever seeing one but I think it would be nice.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I'd say that is rather different. Many times someone is closest to the brother or sister, so it makes sense to pick that person as the godparent.

That's rather different than purposefully positioning all 'married-ins' at the outside so as to preserve an image of 'clean family' in case of a divorce. If there is a picture that includes someone you don't appreciate any longer in 10 or 20 years time it's not too hard not to put or keep that picture on your wall.

It won't do any harm to Louis to have a picture of what his core family was like when he was baptized; even if his uncle James gets married to someone -who isn't on the picture yet- or if someone is his family ends up divorced from the person they are married to right now (which would be very unfortunate).
Old 07-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Well fortunately for many people we don't all live in a cynical world where 'oh well you aren't blood so we should keep you out on the fringe just in case your wedding disolves'. Many people actually define family by more then blood. Divorce ends a marriage, not a family.

Harry had the ex wives of 2 Uncles at his wedding (Charles' first wife and Fergie). Margaret's ex husband was often included. Tom PB's wife who he is separated from, Sarah, was invited to the wedding.

Did you suggest Kate should be pushed to the edge of Harry and Meghan's wedding photos, just in case her marriage ends??
If she hadn't had Charlotte on her lap, then sure. If The Sussexes ever have children then I would have Catherine bookend the Christening photo too. Just like if Doria were to remarry before the Christening, I would put Meghan's new stepfather on the opposite end.

I fully embrace pragmatism. I know some others like to 'hope for the best and never prepare for the worst' and that's fine for them.

And there is a difference between married-ins and blood. Mark Phillips didn't get an invite, Charles' 2nd wife didn't get an invite. It seems Meghan step-grandmother wasn't invited. Apparently Fergie wasn't invited to the evening party. If James and Pippa divorced, do I believe that the Cambridges would maintain a regular relationship with him outside of events concerning baby-to-be Matthews? Nope. Same for Harry and Meghan.

Obviously there are some exceptions. Like I mentioned in the other post, in some cases one is closer to the in-law than to their own relative. But that's not applicable here.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Naming someone as a godparent is, in this day and age, more of a honor rather than being an actual role.

Christening pictures reflect the day it all happens and the people who all came together to celebrate the occasion. Whatever happens in the future, happens and no photo of an event in the present should be constructed to reflect possible things that may or may not happen in the future somewhere down the line.

It was just announced today in the General News for Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh thread that Philip has become the godfather of the Earl Mountbatten's great grandson at 97 years old. I would imagine that having the Duke of Edinburgh in the family portrait with his godson would be something to treasure in the years to come as it would be logical to assume that Philip isn't always going to be around to fulfill his godfatherly role.

Everything was exactly as it should have been and nothing more read into it besides what is in front of our faces that we can see.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Those christening photos are lovely! Easily my favourite Cambridge christening photos thus far. I love the one of all five of them together.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:58 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Let’s move on from arguing about where to place in-laws in pictures in case they one day get divorced.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:30 PM
Courtier

I am not a fan of the filtering and photoshopping on these pics and the overall quality is definitely not the best. That said, I do really like the pic with George beaming and Charlotte holding her little brother's hand. That one is the best of the bunch for me.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Charlotte holding Louisís hand is too cute!
I was just about to post the same thing. I imagine she is quite the little mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
I like the pictures. My least favorite is the one of the 5 Cambridges with the grey background. I think I would have liked it better if William and Kate had been sitting and George and Charlotte standing. As it is, the height difference between the parents and the two kids makes it awkward. I wish there had been a picture of Prince Charles with his grandchildren. I don't recall ever seeing one but I think it would be nice.
I was hoping for one of the 5 Cambridges with just the Middleton family too. I would imagine, though, they probably have all those pictures, but are just not releasing them.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

The same thing goes probably with the group portrait with the godparents. Some were deemed suitable to release for public consumption whereas some were to be kept private.

I can easily picture Charlotte very much being the "little mother" to her new baby brother. Instead of baby dolls, Charlotte probably is more inclined to the new "real" thing in the household. Its just too cute to imagine.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:47 PM
Majesty

I like the photo of Mrs. Middleton standing directly behind her daughter Catherine and Prince Charles standing directly behind his son William.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I was hoping for one of the 5 Cambridges with just the Middleton family too. I would imagine, though, they probably have all those pictures, but are just not releasing them.
Yeah, they're probably keeping the non-royal family side pics private. Back when we thought HM and Philip would attend, I was hoping for a pic of Philip-Charles-William-Louis, four male generations. Since the Queen had the four monarchs picture at George's Christening, it would have been a nice way to give Philip his own turn.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Am I seeing right? Does Harry have his hand on Kate's shoulder/neck? If so, it's the sweetest gesture I've ever seen from a brother-in-law. You can see the photo in question blown up in the article.

Also, I have no problem with the 'painterly' quality of the pictures. More power to them. As official photographs one would expect 'perfection'. JMO. Though I agree about the family shot, cannot imagine why they weren't all seated in the same location rather than put in front of a backdrop. Can't figure that one out.

Agree with someone who posted that Louis looks to be the 'prettiest' of Kate's babies. Kate is definitely besotted. She is radiant. That boy is going to be loved for sure.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

With looking at the photo and the position of Harry's hand, to me it looks more like he's holding onto the edge of the couch rather than than having his hand resting on Kate's shoulders.

Then again, my eyes ain't what they used to be.