Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've posted the DailyMail article in the godparents thread but I'm 100% suprised and 100% disappointed that Henry and Pippa, sister and brother, are not godparents to the future King. Wrong choice IMO, they should have kept friends for the second child.

So many Van Custems to keep straight. So 1 of 3 for the times plus they ruled out family godparents and Jamie LP. I guess there isn't a leak at KP. Maybe the source was the same as the Cressy is invited source.

As I learned on twitter, Julia Samuel in addition to being a friend of Diana was a founder of the child bereavement charity that William is patron of.

I've posted the DailyMail article in the godparents thread but I'm 100% suprised and 100% disappointed that Henry and Pippa, sister and brother, are not godparents to the future King. Wrong choice IMO, they should have kept friends for the second child.

But wouldn't Harry especially be a good godparent for a second child since he is a second child of a future monarch. Andrew is his godparent for similar reasons. Pippa too. She is the second child also. There is still family represented with Zara who has always been close with William.

If you look at the godparents of the queen grandchildren- only Peter (Charles), Zara(Andrew) and Harry (Andrew) has a uncle/aunt for a godparent. Harry also has a cousin in Sarah Chatto who is also Lady Louise's gm. David Linley is Beatrice's and William has more distant cousins in Alexandra and Constantine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Harry or Pippa or James for the matter will be disappointed...they get to have will and kates kids as nieces and nephews for life.

I am quite shocked that they would serve a two-year old cake, even though it has been frozen. Symbolic or not, there's something unhealthy about it.

It is a fruitcake not a regular cake and they redo the fondant icing.

Surprised that neither Pippa or Harry are included - thought one of them might be, but pleased about Zara.
BBC article

:previous: It will be like watching paint dry for the next few hours.

I have to say that I am pleased with the choices (not that I need to be). And being an aunt myself, I am not one of my nieces godparents and took no offense when I was not asked. I will say that I have taken a much larger part in their lives that any of their godparents. So no Pippa, James or Harry does not surprise me. Being an Aunt/Uncle is a gift/honor all unto itself.
So love that they honored Zara and Jamie LP. I do admire the steady hand Jamie has provided both William and Harry over the years.

Not surprised -- and very happy -- about Zara and Jamie. I am non-plussed about the others. I think the only real surprise is that it seems the Spencer family have been excluded not only as a Godparent, but also as even as guests. Well, maybe they couldn't invite the Spencers without inviting Charles' siblings. ????

I think it was all about keeping the ceremony very small with just main family members and the godparents.

Last edited:
Not surprised -- and very happy -- about Zara and Jamie. I am non-plussed about the others. I think the only real surprise is that it seems the Spencer family have been excluded not only as a Godparent, but also as even as guests. Well, maybe they couldn't invite the Spencers without inviting Charles' siblings. ????

Do we know the Spencers aren't invited? If that is true, I will be disappointed too. And if it was a question of maintaining balance in the family, then I would have just invited Charles's siblings. We know that Anne and Sophie were unable to attend, so it would have been an additional 3 people at most, if you assume Edward and Timothy Lawrence would have attended without their wives.

I don't think they were excluding other family members but I think the couple just wanted a small gathering with the main family and the godparents. I think the other family members are very much fine with the arrangements.

I don't think they were excluding other family members but I think the couple just wanted a small gathering with the main family and the godparents. I think the other family members are very much fine with the arrangements.

I stated that I would be disappointed if Diana's family wasn't included. It may be that the Spencers are very much fine with the arrangements, or they may be very hurt. Unless one of us has a source within the family, we can't know how they are reacting.

I just don't think the royal couple would be out to hurt anyone's feelings but just wanted the ceremony to be a small affair.

As posted above, Earl Grosvenor is heir apparent to the 6th Duke of Westminster. The duke is worth over £7.35 billion! Grosvenor was born on 29 January 1991 making him only 22 years old. His sister, Lady Tamara Katherine Grosvenor, is married to Edward van Cutsem brother of godfather William Henry van Cutsem. William is the youngest of the four van Cutsem brothers and was born in 1979,

a little bit of genealogy:

The Hon Mrs Michael Samuel
(Julia Samuel was a close friend of The Princess of Wales)
Julia is wife of Hon. Michael John Samuel, son of late Peter Samuel, 4th Viscount Bearsted

Mrs David Jardine-Paterson (Emilia Jardine-Paterson attended Marlborough College with The Duchess)

Emilia Mary Florence d'Erlanger is the daughter of Hon. Mary Elizabeth Josephine Pellew, daughter of Pownoll Irving Edward Pellew, 9th Viscount Exmouth and Maria Luisa de Urquijo, Marquesa de Olias.

Prince Charles has arrived

Great shot of the baby. He's grown. All the ladies looked terrific, as usual.

George is now a big boy. I'm glad that we got to see Live feed of the royals, godparents arrive and we see them depart as well.

prince George is whole his father, very similar

What a beautiful baby!! He looks a lot like Prince William. George has very chubby cheeks! William seems to know just how to hold him and keep him happy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom