Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is not just the Christening of George but of the future King and William and Kate need to accept that they aren't normal and that there are different expectations on them and their family than on the family of the Middletons or even on Peter's family.

Harry can have the private totally intimate christening of his children, and even the christening of the next child but George is the future King and so this fact needs to be taken into consideration - the public will turn on them soon enough if they keep treating the public at arm's length.

I don't understand why people are complaining. Both Charles and William are future kings and their christenings weren't public events why should George? He is also not likely to be King for about 50 years from now.

I fully agree with you. Prince William and his spouse have got a full right to have an intimate ceremony for their child and decide on a list of people they wish to share this special moment.

I suppose they do, but since their child will be king one day it would be fitting if they wanted to share parts of it with the rest of the country. They are public figures and their life is lavishly financed by the British public. Considering the interest of the public it would be gracious if they allowed the press to film it. If they do not want the intruision in their lives William should have renounced his rights and become a private person. We were able to see (parts of) the christenings of all other heirs (and spares) in all other monarchies, These were most often attended by the extended royal family, the prime minister and other officials, but to each their own I guess.

I don't know the family dynamics, but inviting a few aunts and uncles wouldn't be considered an invasion of privacy by most people, it would actually increase the joy of the occassion.

Last edited:
I don't think William has any requirement to allow the press to film the ceremony. It's a religious ceremony and the BRF have no tradition of making the christening a public one.

That said there is a difference between having an intimate, close family and friends ceremony and having a ceremony that is a bit more appropriate for a future king. A low key ceremony in which the bulk of the current royal family is excluded, and in all likelihood there will be a minimal royal presence among the godparents, is not really an appropriate ceremony for a future monarch.

I'm curious, since the palace hasn't announced the guest list or who the Godparents are for that matter, how can you say the 'bulk' of the current royal family is excluded, or are you using the Daily Mail's excellent sources as your guide?

Well, let's see. There are 20 royals, excluding George and the Wessex children. We know for a fact that Anne and Sophie aren't going to the christening, and it's very likely that Eugenie won't be in the country for it either. That drops things down to 17.

I don't think we can expect the Kents (5) or Gloucesters (2) to attend, dropping the count down to 10. Unlike his brother, William doesn't seem to be particularly close to his York cousins, so given as Eugenie isn't likely to come I wouldn't be surprised if Beatrice also doesn't make it - 9. So, already we're down to less than half the current royals.

Then there's Andrew and Edward. I can't see Edward going without Sophie, and if he doesn't... well, as neither Anne nor Edward would be going at that point, I could see Andrew also not going. If they don't go, then that brings it down to 7 royals.

The 7 that are attending are ones that pretty much have to be there. It's the christening of William and Catherine's child, Charles' grandchild, Camilla's step-grandchild, and HM and the DoE's great-grandchild. The remaining 7th person is Harry, who is both an uncle and very likely a godparent.

What's more is that of these 7, the only one who really is likely to be a godparent is Harry. Which means that of George's six godparents, only one will be a royal as it's not really likely that George will have a foreign royal godparent. In comparison, 2 of William's 6 godparents were royal and 5 of Charles' 8 godparents were royals.

I don't think William has any requirement to allow the press to film the ceremony. It's a religious ceremony and the BRF have no tradition of making the christening a public one.

That said there is a difference between having an intimate, close family and friends ceremony and having a ceremony that is a bit more appropriate for a future king. A low key ceremony in which the bulk of the current royal family is excluded, and in all likelihood there will be a minimal royal presence among the godparents, is not really an appropriate ceremony for a future monarch.

Surely not long ago (through most the 1990s, if my memory serves me right) there was a lot of negative commentary of how the royal family seem to only mix with other royals and could do with greater exposure to "normal" people. Not they appear to be attracting criticism for not potentially having enough royal god parents for the future King. No winning, is there? Is it really such as issue that George could potentially have only god parent that is royal? Would you prefer foreign royals? Would Zara or Peter be considered royal enough?

Richard Kay is saying now that Princess Beatrice and Sarah Chatto are possible godparents. I don't think either will be selected though. I think it will be immediate family and very close friends will be chosen as the godparents. Americans tend to choose people who are either family or one of their best friends. I don't know if the Brits do it differently. I don't get the impression he's all that close to a large portion of his family both royal and not(spencers). It seems like he's a bit selective when it comes to his family.

I also think all the godparents have probably been asked by now.

This is not just the Christening of George but of the future King and William and Kate need to accept that they aren't normal and that there are different expectations on them and their family than on the family of the Middletons or even on Peter's family.

Harry can have the private totally intimate christening of his children, and even the christening of the next child but George is the future King and so this fact needs to be taken into consideration - the public will turn on them soon enough if they keep treating the public at arm's length.

I recall seeing short videos released by the BRF covering either the before or after of Will's and Harry's christenings. Regarding Harry's christening, while Anne might or might not have been there - Zara certainly was as there is a really delightful segment where HM leans down and converses with Zara.

I don't have an issue with not filming the ceremony, as these ceremonies have always been private.

As for Anne and Sophie, I believe these royal engagements are planned out well in advance. Perhaps it's impossible for all members of the family to be present. Now whether Will's aunts and uncles were purposely excluded in some way seems to be conjecture on the part of the DM. The Palace spokespersons certainly don't help the situation with their answers.

I am going to reserve comment until I see who is actually present, what photos are released, and the actual godparents. But I do agree that George's christening, the godparents chosen, etc, cannot be treated as the average child christened. He's not the average child, he's potentially the future Defender of the Faith, as is his father.

Has it occurred to some on this board that William, unlike his emotionally stunted Dad, might be trying to accommodate the wishes of his WIFE--the lady who have birth to George?

If so, my hat is off to him. And what a bloody minefield to negotiate, when Uncle Gary and the Spencers, and the offspring of Camilla are factored in.

But for William, perhaps a contented wife is more important than having royal representatives, etc. as godparents.

I personally believe that Kate understood the family she was marrying into was the BRF and that the child she was giving birth to was the heir to the throne. The motto of this family has always been "duty first."

And other than the press, which cannot be helped, I think that the BRF has been more than accommodating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose they do, but since their child will be king one day it would be fitting if they wanted to share parts of it with the rest of the country...
Yes, you are right noting that little George is not just a usual child. One day he may ascend the British throne. At the same, it has been my understanding that Prince William is allowed to be very private and even fussy about his private life. It is within his rights to have a final say on details of the upcoming christening.

Last edited by a moderator:
@GracieGiraffe. Concur. Do think that Kate understood, insofar as it was possible, what it meant, and the enormous sacrifices entailed, when she married Will.

But still. Maybe Will really loves her; maybe he has a glimmer of understanding of what she gave up for him--little things, like privacy, anonymity, autonomy.

If he does, maybe he would have the insight and kindness to consider the wishes of his wife, even, heretically, to place them above DUTY, when it comes to the PRIVATE christening of THEIR first child.

Has it occurred to some on this board that William, unlike his emotionally stunted Dad, might be trying to accommodate the wishes of his WIFE--the lady who have birth to George?

If so, my hat is off to him. And what a bloody minefield to negotiate, when Uncle Gary and the Spencers, and the offspring of Camilla are factored in.

But for William, perhaps a contented wife is more important than having royal representatives, etc. as godparents.

George is the heir to the throne and Catherine knew that when marrying into the family. There is a limit as to just how private lives the 2nd and 3rd in line to the throne can live.

For William, harsh as it may sound, one of the most important things should be that he as well as his son are public people who are living privileged lives funded by the British people. It can hardly come as a surprise to either him or Catherine that they can't pull off living a normal and private life e.g. like that of William's cousin, Peter Phillips and his family.

Oh and calling Charles an "emotionally stunted Dad" is really mature, congrats :rolleyes:

Oh and calling Charles an "emotionally stunted Dad" is really mature, congrats :rolleyes:

If The Prince of Wales is an "emotionally stunted Dad", I wonder about what we can say about a mother who tells to her teenage son all her marital problems, trying to put him against his own father and paternal grandmother, and then decides to go to TV to talk about her personal life.:whistling:

How all of a sudden this joyous event is being turned into an attack on Charles & Diana? We don't need to get into all of this here.

I somehow doubt that that discussion belong in this thread.

Back on the subject, I would love it if they chose Tiggy as one of the godparents as she obviously means a lot to William. And I'm also still crossing fingers for Lady Sarah Chatto, I really like her a lot and I would love to see her as George's godmother :D

Back on the subject, I would love it if they chose Tiggy as one of the godparents as she obviously means a lot to William. And I'm also still crossing fingers for Lady Sarah Chatto, I really like her a lot :D

Good choices.

I believe The Crown Prince of Greece will be one of the godparents. At least one foreign Royal.

:previous:
I highly doubt that Crown Prince Pavlos will be asked to be a god parent. Unlike the continental royals, the Windsor clan cares very little about the other royal houses.

I think the palace made it clear there will be pictures and clips. I don't know what everyone is worrying about.

:previous:
I highly doubt that Crown Prince Pavlos will be asked to be a god parent. Unlike the continental royals, the Windsor clan cares very little about the other royal houses.

The Duke of Edinburgh is a Prince of Greece and Denmark by birth.

The King of the Hellenes are one of The Duke of Cambridge's godparents.

And The Duke of Cambridge is a godparent to one of The Crown Prince's sons.

The only thing that I'm getting from this is that people want the British Royals to change their tradition of private Christening because the Continental Royal do Public, Television broadcast Christening

The Duke of Edinburgh is a Prince of Greece and Denmark by birth.

The King of the Hellenes are one of The Duke of Cambridge's godparents.

And The Duke of Cambridge is a godparent to one of The Crown Prince's sons.
Still it does not mean that Crown Prince Pavlos will be one of Prince George's god parents.

Still it does not mean that Crown Prince Pavlos will be one of Prince George's god parents.

We can't be sure, but I think it's very likely.

The British and Greek Royal Families are very close to each other.

Hopefully, we will get something next week with regards to godparents and a professional photo of the Cambridges perhaps.

We can't be sure, but I think it's very likely.

The British and Greek Royal Families are very close to each other.
Prince William has got his own circle of people, who can be asked to be his son's god parents. Prince William had no say in selecting his god parents. Prince Charles, not Prince William, may have a close relationship with Crown Prince Pavlos. The ties may not as close as they were in the past.

Prince William has got his own circle of people, who can be asked to be his son's god parents. Prince William had no say in selecting his god parents. Prince Charles, not Prince William, may have a close relationship with Crown Prince Pavlos. The ties may not as close as they were in the past.

That's okay, but none of arguments changed the fact that The Crown Prince of Greece can be one of Prince George's godparents.

I've never said he will be one of them. I said he can be.

Back
Top Bottom