Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The queen and 3 kings shot was probably the last one done . All the others are on the couch. So the lights and stuff would have to repositioned a bit when they switched out the couch for a chair. Also the couch photos are straight on in the room and the chair photo is angled with 2 walls in the photo. With the Queen on a tight schedule, it makes sense for William to hold him since George is more use to his daddy than the queen.It could be the other way around where they did that photo first. It still makes sense for William to keep George calm for the rest. I wonder if Kate had to stand by Jason to keep George from looking around for his mummy.

The queen and 3 kings shot was probably the last one done . All the others are on the couch. So the lights and stuff would have to repositioned a bit when they switched out the couch for a chair. Also the couch photos are straight on in the room and the chair photo is angled with 2 walls in the photo. With the Queen on a tight schedule, it makes sense for William to hold him since George is more use to his daddy than the queen.It could be the other way around where they did that photo first. It still makes sense for William to keep George calm for the rest. I wonder if Kate had to stand by Jason to keep George from looking around for his mummy.

Oh, I'd say that's a sure bet. What I would love to know is what happened or was said before the Families picture was taken, because they all look like they'd just finished laughing over something, so the smiles are all genuine looking to my eye. Harry in particular has a very wicked grin on his face in the picture.

Now maybe I'm seeing something that's not really there, but it just seems like something really funny had just happened, and in turn that lovely picture was created. :)

Loved the official photos. They must have had great fun sifting through them, and a great laugh picking the main one of Kate, Will and George. Talk about character !! His arms in the air, a la Leonardo di Caprio in Titanic.... saying... I'm KING of the World ! which he kind of is, really ! LOL

Everyone looked so well, but again... for me.... my goodness... Pippa stole the show style wise. Her outfit was utterly sublime... possibly the best I have ever seen Pippa look, along with the you know what dress of course !!

Ohhhh just looking and her and Harry standing next to each other in the official photo would make you weep. On paper... they are MFEO .... why can't it just come about !!!! They look so good together. Who needs a dodgy banker with a penchant for PINK trousers and a skinny girl that looks about 11. DUMP THEM...and fall in love.... I demand it !!! LOL. Imagine the POWER foursome they would make.

I agree the pics are wonderful. I am afraid I don't share your enthusiasm for Pippa's look for this day. Her hair style choice with that odd flower fascinator was rather puzzling to me and her dress...I'll get into that in a minute.

Catherine, Carol and Camilla stole the show today by looking elegant and pulled together from top to bottom. Hair, hats, makeup , clothing, accessories....simply perfection. Pippa to me looked like she woke up, slapped some more eyeliner on, pulled her hair in a side pony, stuck a flower in her forehead and borrowed something cream colored out of the Queen's closet.. Don't get me wrong....I love Pippa, but she is hit and miss with her fashion choices and this one is definitely a miss
Sorry. :flowers:

Oh, I'd say that's a sure bet. What I would love to know is what happened or was said before the Families picture was taken, because they all look like they'd just finished laughing over something, so the smiles are all genuine looking to my eye. Harry in particular has a very wicked grin on his face in the picture.

Now maybe I'm seeing something that's not really there, but it just seems like something really funny had just happened, and in turn that lovely picture was created. :)

Harry always looks wicked. :lol: God bless the woman he chooses to marry. She will have her hands full with him. :eek:

You know how it is with group photos, some people look good, others don't. The large group shows everyone looking well, and I agree, Gracie, kudos to Prince Phillip.
Also agree texkit cat that didn't like Pippa's look, but she looked "fine". James looks better with a beard, imo and I'm not a beard person.
What really struck me is that cute hands up picture which obviously, K&W couldn't resist. And, that it is so obviously not a good shot of Kate, shows where her vanity lies, or doesn't, she wants her baby front and center. She's off to a good start as a wonderful mother.

You know how it is with group photos, some people look good, others don't. The large group shows everyone looking well, and I agree, Gracie, kudos to Prince Phillip.
Also agree texkit cat that didn't like Pippa's look, but she looked "fine". James looks better with a beard, imo and I'm not a beard person.
What really struck me is that cute hands up picture which obviously, K&W couldn't resist. And, that it is so obviously not a good shot of Kate, shows where her vanity lies, or doesn't, she wants her baby front and center. She's off to a good start as a wonderful mother.

What a lovely comment!!! I agree with everything you said. The baby is so cute!!!!

Several of, myself included, are a little disappointed that there wasn't a picture released of the Queen holding George. She may have her reasons for not holding him, or at least not having a picture of her holding him released. We will never know.

He looks like a very heavy active baby, and based on the comments of both William and Catherine, he is quite fussy and vocal. I would imagine that everyone involved decided it would be best that William held him to keep him calm and to prevent a meltdown with someone he isn't used holding him at a crucial time. Nothing wrong with that.

My favourite one is the 4 monarchs one: it's charged with symbolism, tradition and continuity. A feast to look at. Makes one very proud to have them as monarchs.

My least favourite is the large group one: I would have liked the Queen to have sat a tad closer to the baby and Kate.

You are right. Group photos are a nightmare for a photographer. As for James, as much I love beards and depending on how well trimmed they are I find them sexy. Some men look better with a beard and my husband is one of them and would never consider shaving it. It's his look and one that suits him best. James is a very good looking man and has excellent bone structure in his face. Nothing wrong with having a beard, but his doesn't do justice to his face with the way it is trimmed. IMO of course.

I see no reason to copy a photo from over a hundred years ago. This is 2013 and the father wants to hold his son and the others have no desire to be copy cats. Go on and hold your son Wills. Btw ain't no way that baby is 3 mos old. I think Kate gave birth in March but they forgot to tell anybody until July (or was it June?)

I see no reason to copy a photo from over a hundred years ago. This is 2013 and the father wants to hold his son and the others have no desire to be copy cats. Go on and hold your son Wills. Btw ain't no way that baby is 3 mos old. I think Kate gave birth in March but they forgot to tell anybody until July (or was it June?)
No one on here said that Price William couldn't hold his Son? Who said that? Also no one said they shpuld copy anything.

Pardon me, but what in the world are you referring to in your comment about when the baby was born? I had two HUGE boys and they were born when I said they were born, they happened to be very big kids, and neither I nor my husband are large. Babies some in all sizes

I don't remember a picture of Queen Elizabeth II holding future monarch Prince William of Wales. Anyone know of one?
I have never seen a picture of The Queen holding Prince William as far as I can remember However I bet there are a lot of pictures of The Queen holding Prince William in the Royal family Private Photo Albums.

Now the Royal Family Private Photo Album of photos that are not public that would be something to see! But those kind of photos may not be seen until after The Queen passes.

Then I bet a lot of never before seen photos of the Queen with her grandchildrens and great Grandchildres will be made public.

No one on here said that Price William couldn't hold his Son? Who said that?

I think the idea is more the general disappointment that the Queen wasn't holding George.

To me, it's not so much about recreating the Victoria picture as it is about the focus. As the Queen is sitting and centred your eye goes to her first; if she was holding George then the two of them would be the focus of the picture. Instead, he's off to the side with his father.

There are many reasons as to why William may have chosen to be the one holding the baby - George may not like being held by others, he may have been on the brink of being fussy, the Queen may not have felt comfortable holding him, or posing with him (it is a rare sight to see her holding a baby), etc. That doesn't mean that we can't be a bit disappointed that she isn't holding him.

To me, another part of the appeal of having the monarch hold the great-grandchild in the 4 generations photos is that it makes a circle. Your focus starts with the monarch and child in the centre, goes to the heir apparent, then his heir apparent, then ends up in the centre with the monarch and child again. With this picture - while it is a good picture - the circle is broken, as you end at William and George.

I don't understand why some are nitpicking the photos to death.

I don't remember a picture of Queen Elizabeth II holding future monarch Prince William of Wales. Anyone know of one?

There aren't many pictures of QEII holding babies. There are shots of her holding her own children - I can't remember if I've seen any of her holding Andrew or Edward, but there are ones of her with Baby Charles and Anne for sure - and there's one of her with Peter as a baby. I'm pretty sure the picture of her holding Peter is the only one we have of her holding a grandchild, and there are none of her holding a great-grandchild. It's been suggested that this is deliberate because she feels it takes away from the image of her as a monarch - which makes sense. Female monarchs always have to struggle with how they establish themselves in a masculine role, and that may be part of how QEII did so.

Pardon me, but what in the world are you referring to in your comment about when the baby was born? I had two HUGE boys and they were born when I said they were born, they happened to be very big kids, and neither I nor my husband are large. Babies some in all sizes

Good gracious it was a joke for crying out loud. Do I need to put sarcasm after every sentence to make that obvious to u?

George is a big baby. He must at least be in the top 5% of babies his age as to size. He looked fine with his arms extended. He may not make lots of facial expressions, but his body language is THERE!

Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist
I thought it was funny. Me and a friend of mine were joking that the U.K never shut down it Government and that the Queen should come over here or we should move over there.

British Royalist<
I love your comment, yes the Queen should come here and straighten out our congress or we should let her have this country back, I don't think she would want it now with the way it has become. I have thought many times about moving to the UK, being retired, not sure how to do it. I love the history that goes with the country being a history buff, it would sure give me plenty of places to go and explore. I just love the Queen and Charles and William and his family. They are darn okay in my book!

There is, on the other hand , a photo of the Queen Mother holding William at his Christening which was very much appreciated at the time for the significance of 4 generations in the same picture.

in 1894, Edward and George didn't shave theirs off - stupid comment

Very stupid, indeed! Why should James shave the beard he loves just for his nephew's christening? It would be ridiculous. Sometimes I think some people have to have SOMETHING to complain about in any situation.

Reports on Twitter that two more pictures will be released in time for Sunday papers :)

Reports on Twitter that two more pictures will be released in time for Sunday papers :)

Who's reporting this?

Very stupid, indeed! Why should James shave the beard he loves just for his nephew's christening? It would be ridiculous. Sometimes I think some people have to have SOMETHING to complain about in any situation.

So true. The complaint of men not shaving for big events seems to come up every time a royal (or related) man shows up to an event with any sort of facial hair. There seems to be this idea that they must be slobs or lazy (or both) if they don't shave; it can't be that they're deliberately growing out their facial hair because they like it.

There are pics of HM holding Andrew and Edward here:

Former nanny's letters provide a rare glimpse of the Queen's private family life | Mail Online

A quick google of "The Queen holding her children" will turn up others, too, but not many.

Thank you! I knew, of course, that pictures had to exist but couldn't remember seeing them. This is greatly appreciated.

It was Joe Little of Majesty magazine Ish. If it were anyone else, I'd wonder too, but coming from him, it gives it far more legitimacy IMO.

Via Twitter 42 Minutes ago: @theroyaleditor: 2 more official Prince George photographs set to be released for UK Sunday newspapers. Perhaps The Queen will be holding the baby in them?

Look like the Journalist reporting this work for the London Evening Standard

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you.

I don't know if we should expect a picture of the Queen holding George, but I would like to see one that includes the godparents

Awesome, thank you. I don't know if we should expect a picture of the Queen holding George, but I would like to see one that includes the godparents

And one with both set of Grandparents (okay Three Grandparents and one step grandparent... Don't want to start any anything with William, Catherine and George .

Super photos! It's so nice to see Prince George as he is an extremely handsome baby - I bet he can screem the place down when he's tired or wants feeding!

I'm looking forward to seeing the additional pictures on Sunday and think they will be just as good as these whatever the pose/composition will be.

With regard to James's beard, it suits him so well! With regard to one or two comments suggesting he ought to have shaved it off for the Christening, I do wonder if people are living on another planet - what would Prince Michael of Kent think if it was suggested he should shave his beard off at every family event?!

Back
Top Bottom