Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There might not be much to see since Clarence House and St James Palace are attached. Can the chapel be seen from the street?

This is interesting in that BRF christenings are considered private and the only indication there has been one is the official pictures released the day after.

By the look of it, a whole bunch of media types are planning to be there tomorrow to see - what exactly? Wonder what, if any, arrangements are in place? If there is no photo opp. for the media, relationships could slide.

I would image there will be pool coverage of the photo shoot afterwards. That is what we got for William's christening with reports and some video.

The event is advertised as a private family event. The palace can't be blamed for numerous press crews covering a door. It is just like when George was born. Everybody knew beforehand that the only thing that they were going to see is them taking the baby home from the hospital and maybe family visits. However, the crazy press started camping out in the beginning of July.

Last edited:
I don't Reuters and Sky News would be bringing Live Coverage if the royals and guest wouldn't be arriving at the outside entrance. I think there will be a pool of photographers and media covering the arrivals and departures. The pictures of the official photo shoot will be released the next day.

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal 8h
@310591 arrivals of #William, #Kate & #George only - christening private, but photos released later in week once they've been authorised

Last edited:
This is interesting in that BRF christenings are considered private and the only indication there has been one is the official pictures released the day after.

QUOTE]
Yes it is interesting as marriages/funeral services are generally accepted to be public events. It is perfectly understandable that the media will be swarming all over the doors for photos, not least because there hasn't been a picture of George with his eyes open yet. Although the official pics will be released a day later, I wonder if there will be some acknowledgement of the level of demand by a brief photo opportunity after the event. ( Keep the media on your side;) )

I dont expect to see anything tomorrow - a glimpse at the most. They aren't going to hang around outside with a small baby (its got v cold and windy); there is a timetable and then a reception at Clarence House. Official pictures available Thursday pm, as they need to be developed and then approved for publication by the Cambridges.

Some people will complain but - this is in keeping with tradition lol

I dont expect to see anything tomorrow - a glimpse at the most. They aren't going to hang around outside with a small baby (its got v cold and windy); there is a timetable and then a reception at Clarence House. Official pictures available Thursday pm, as they need to be developed and then approved for publication by the Cambridges.

Some people will complain but - this is in keeping with tradition lol

Well, traditionally we can't get into the delivery room either, but that didn't stop some of us from trying (at least metaphorically) ..:p

Wow. Three p.m. will be 2 in the morning where I am. Even if it was live coverage, I dont know if I could stay up for that one. Hopefully there will be plenty of videos to watch.

Will be there a live broadcast? What time is the ceremony?

True. I think the fact that the chapel is close to Prince Charles and Camilla's residence was probably a deciding factor, since it makes sense to have the post tea there. It's also somewhat "different" in that the last royal baby christened there was 25 years ago. We know William likes to be different

good grief - getting christened in a church is breaking with tradition - time to go and lie down

True. I think the fact that the chapel is close to Prince Charles and Camilla's residence was probably a deciding factor, since it makes sense to have the post tea there. It's also somewhat "different" in that the last royal baby christened there was 25 years ago. We know William likes to be different

There have only been 3 British royal babies other than George born in that time span though, Eugenie, Louise, and James. Other members of the family aren't royal.

There is an investiture at BP in the morning and I think a reception at night so that rules out BP and Windsor because the Queen need to go to all 3 events. It makes sense to use the Chapel Royal with SJP and Clarence House connected.

I don't understand how using the lily font from the Crown Jewels, in a replica gown by the AoC in a royal chapel is breaking tradition. It is not like the AoC is using drool from Lupo to christen George :)

I've never understood where the view of William as some kind of royal rebel comes from. I know he's said he likes to put his own stamp on things if possible, but he's also always made it clear that he's aware there are limits to how far boundaries can be pushed. Even when he's had some degree of choice - in his education, his career, his wedding, his son's name - he hasn't strayed too far from traditional royal territory.

I've never understood where the view of William as some kind of royal rebel comes from. I know he's said he likes to put his own stamp on things if possible, but he's also always made it clear that he's aware there are limits to how far boundaries can be pushed. Even when he's had some degree of choice - in his education, his career, his wedding, his son's name - he hasn't strayed too far from traditional royal territory.

Very true. For all we know, when William and Kate were in residence at Nottingham Cottage, they may have chosen the Royal Chapel as their place of worship even and found it fitting to have their son christened there. William does keep us guessing and that in its own way probably is what brands him a "rebel".

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 5m
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have chosen Zara Phillips as one of Prince George's godparents.

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal 16s
#royal Godparents include cousin Zara Tindall, William van Cutsem and Jamie Lowther Pinkerton, William and Kate's former private secretary

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 6m
William's godparents are uni friend Oliver Baker, William's childhood friend Hugh Van Cutsem mfl

Gordon Rayner ‏@gordonrayner 4m
Only five senior members of #royal family invited to Prince George's christening: Queen, DofE, Charles, Camilla, Harry.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 1m
Prince George's 7 Godparents: Zara Phillips, William van Cutsem, Oliver Baker, Emilia JP, Hugh Grosvenor, Jamie LP, Julia Samuel

georgina brewer ‏@Georginaitv 3m
The guests will eat the first tier of #William and #Kate's wedding cake at a reception for family and friends after the service this pm

Gordon Rayner ‏@gordonrayner 1m
Just 23 guests at #royal christening - the five royals I mentioned earlier, Kate's parents and siblings, godparents and their spouses.

Last edited:
Zara - Yeah, Julia Samuels is apparently a friend of Diana. Hugh G. is the heir to Duke of Westminster and his mum is William's godmother.

The times only had 2 right. No Fergus. Nice for Jamie LP to get picked.

Back
Top Bottom