Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. I also think it is important to pick true loyal friends. It appears that this is what was done.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a bit of speculation as to whether or not HRH Princess Beatrice will be named as a godparent--but what are the odds that she will actually attend the christening?

All word from the palace has been of a small family affair, but all we have confirmation is that great-aunts and uncles of HRH Prince George won't be in attendance (which makes sense, considering Princess Margaret did not attend Prince William's christening). In my opinion, they can easily forgo great-aunts and uncles but still invite their cousins--or at least the ones who are old enough to attend such an event. That would be the Phillips and HRH Princess Beatrice, as Eugenie is in NYC.

It would be special to include HRH Princess Beatrice considering she was the last royal to be christened at St. James's Palace.

Bosom buddies become royal godparents | The Sunday Times
Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah 1h Who's made the cut as Prince George's godparents? My exclusive on William and Kate's choices in @ST_Newsroom http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/People/article1326939.ece …
Seguito da HRH in BC and 12 others

Espandi

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 11h Sunday Times: Prince George's godparents inc Emilia Jardine-Paterson,Fergus Boyd & Hugh van Cutsem (old friends of Will&Kate) - @RoyaNikkhah

Well...At least we we'll see if that's true...
Here it is said 3 of the godparents are: Emila D'Erlanger, Fergus Boyd and Van Cutsem

William and Catherine might surprise everyone by not choosing Pippa or Harry to be godparents.

Wow, there are a lot of emotions that are sur
facting with this christening. Remember is is just a baby and his new parents.
i do believe that the godparents should be of a younger age, more the age of the parents.

That poor baby has no idea what he's in for in this life.

Can we get them to move up the christening? This is becoming all rather batty and it's best we get it over and move on to more important things like staring at Kate's belly looking for signs of a sibling or getting out crystal bowls to try and figure out what color the kitchen was painted in KP.

That poor baby has no idea what he's in for in this life.

Can we get them to move up the christening? This is becoming all rather batty and it's best we get it over and move on to more important things like staring at Kate's belly looking for signs of a sibling or getting out crystal bowls to try and figure out what color the kitchen was painted in KP.

Yes! Absolutely! Let's move up the Christening! I am betting that Catherine wears a blue dress with white flowers. She'll probably be wearing nude pumps. I'd like to see the Queen in lavender and Camilla and Carole in blue. I'm thinking Camilla's hat will have feathers, the Queen's will have a ribbon detail, and Catherine....I'm not sure.

I think the kitchen is painted blue-gray with white cabinetry.

At least there is a Kate engagement on Friday to tie us over to next Wednesday. I'm thinking a new Alexander McQueen outfit for Kate and William's standard navy suit with a blue tie.

Yes! Absolutely! Let's move up the Christening! I am betting that Catherine wears a blue dress with white flowers. She'll probably be wearing nude pumps. I'd like to see the Queen in lavender and Camilla and Carole in blue. I'm thinking Camilla's hat will have feathers, the Queen's will have a ribbon detail, and Catherine....I'm not sure.

I think the kitchen is painted blue-gray with white cabinetry.

Pippa often wears a teal blue. I do hope they all get away from all the blue... I mean, I know he's a baby boy, but gosh.

I love the idea of a blue gray kitchen with white cabinetry. And a big oak informal table for family suppers.

I agree that it will be an Alexander McQueen dress. Of course, if she really wants to break royal tradition, she could wear a nice pant suit.

I'm thinking blue because the baby is a boy, but I also think blue flatters most people, especially as they (not me) get a little older.

I would like a big oak table in my kitchen. I'm thinking they have bamboo floors (sustainable for Charles) with dark stain.

William and Catherine might surprise everyone by not choosing Pippa or Harry to be godparents.

That would indeed be a surprise. I can't see it happening though, I'm almost completely certain that they both will be godparents. They could also swap Pippa with James, but I still think Pippa is more likely to become godmother.

I like blue, but I hope to see someone in purple, green, white and Fall colors. Or maybe someone might pull a Diana and bring pink :D
I don't have anything against it but since it was a boy it was a bit weird, but I loved the break from being predicting.

Is there any choice Prince Charles or even The Queen might be godparents? I know some Royal families do that (Spain and Norway to name a few) but the British have their own thing. Is it possible?

IMO that could be possible as there are a few examples:

Queen Mary was one of Prince Charles's godparents and so was Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine. Queen Mary is Charles's maternal great-grandmother and Princess Victoria is Charles's paternal great-grandmother. The Queen Mother was also Princess Anne's godmother. Princess Nicholas of Greece and Denmark was Princess Alexandra's godmother and grandmother.

You're correct about Spain and Norway being the countries to have grandparents as godparents; King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia are Infanta Leonor's godparents, Paloma Roscolano is Infanta Sofia's grandmother and godmother. Don Felipe de Maricharlar also has one of his paternal and maternal grandparents as godparents. In Norway, Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Prince Sverre Magnus also have grandparents as godparents. :flowers:

However I think William and Catherine will choose aunts, uncles and friends as George's godparents.

Last edited:
I like blue, but I hope to see someone in purple, green, white and Fall colors. Or maybe someone might pull a Diana and bring pink :D
I don't have anything against it but since it was a boy it was a bit weird, but I loved the break from being predicting.

Maybe Catherine could wear pink shoes. In all honesty, the style of the dress Diana wore for William's christening has not aged well. I think the queen looks great in lavender. Perhaps Carole or Camilla can wear green.

I wonder if all of William's cousins, both from the royal line and the Spencer family, all of whom he's on good terms with, will be invited? He's always been keen, apparently, to include the Spencers in every thing. In fact, I was disappointed in his naming the baby George (not English enough for mine) but have subsequently learnt that George Alexander Louis was named for the eldest son of each of his Spencer aunts and his Spencer uncle - George (Sarah's eldest son), Alexander (Jane's eldest son) and Louis (Charles' eldest son and heir), although the first name had the added benefit of pleasing the Queen. As he's said, he thinks of his mother every day and it's easy to see that Diana's legacy and memory remains strongly with him. As the baby's Christening will be held in the small Chapel Royal at St James where Diana lay before her funeral it's been suggested that it's the Duke's way of including his mother, or her spirit, in the service.

Such a personable and admirable man of intelligence, determination and strong character William is proving to be: he will have his personal and domestic arrangements donehis way (wedding; Christening; Christmas, etc) and is proving to be a good husband and family man at that. His future 16 realms are very fortunate, indeed.

I'm personally looking forward, most eagerly, to seeing a photo of the Queen and the three direct heirs on this day and I do so hope that one is released.

Incidentally, Frelinghighness (#238), Pavlos of Greece is godfather to Prince Christian of Denmark - those two royal Houses are very close.

In fact, I was disappointed in his naming the baby George (not English enough for mine) but have subsequently learnt that George Alexander Louis was named for the eldest son of each of his Spencer aunts and his Spencer uncle - George (Sarah's eldest son), Alexander (Jane's eldest son) and Louis (Charles' eldest son and heir)

Has this actually been confirmed by P.William himself?

I wonder if all of William's cousins, both from the royal line and the Spencer family, all of whom he's on good terms with, will be invited? He's always been keen, apparently, to include the Spencers in every thing. In fact, I was disappointed in his naming the baby George (not English enough for mine) but have subsequently learnt that George Alexander Louis was named for the eldest son of each of his Spencer aunts and his Spencer uncle - George (Sarah's eldest son), Alexander (Jane's eldest son) and Louis (Charles' eldest son and heir), although the first name had the added benefit of pleasing the Queen. As he's said, he thinks of his mother every day and it's easy to see that Diana's legacy and memory remains strongly with him. As the baby's Christening will be held in the small Chapel Royal at St James where Diana lay before her funeral it's been suggested that it's the Duke's way of including his mother, or her spirit, in the service.

Such a personable and admirable man of intelligence, determination and strong character William is proving to be: he will have his personal and domestic arrangements donehis way (wedding; Christening; Christmas, etc) and is proving to be a good husband and family man at that. His future 16 realms are very fortunate, indeed.

I'm personally looking forward, most eagerly, to seeing a photo of the Queen and the three direct heirs on this day and I do so hope that one is released.

Incidentally, Frelinghighness (#238), Pavlos of Greece is godfather to Prince Christian of Denmark - those two royal Houses are very close.

William has been very open about wanting to maintain Diana's memory in his life. I am willing to bet money that the christening will include a meaningful reference to Diana, although I am not sure the choice of the chapel was it. I find it hard to believe that the fact that it was one of her final resting places is a positive memory for him. I am sure that he will also ensure that George and any other children will understand how important Diana is to William.

Regarding George's names, as others have pointed out, they are not just Spencer family names. One of Charles's names is George, one of William's names is Louis, and Alexander is the male form for one of the queen's names. I believe William and Catherine when they say they just liked the names and they have no special meaning. There is no reason for them to lie.

Regarding George's names, as others have pointed out, they are not just Spencer family names. One of Charles's names is George, one of William's names is Louis, and Alexander is the male form for one of the queen's names. I believe William and Catherine when they say they just liked the names and they have no special meaning. There is no reason for them to lie.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Diana connection was considered - William is very much Diana's son - when choosing the names, in addition to the M-W connection and the fact that they liked the names. The three names are named that have many historical connections and pay tribute to both sides of William's family. The name George also has the added advantage of being one that until George's birth was one of the few names of a British monarch not currently in use by an HRH. Personally, the more I hear the name the more I think it's a really good one.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Diana connection was considered - William is very much Diana's son - when choosing the names, in addition to the M-W connection and the fact that they liked the names. The three names are named that have many historical connections and pay tribute to both sides of William's family. The name George also has the added advantage of being one that until George's birth was one of the few names of a British monarch not currently in use by an HRH. Personally, the more I hear the name the more I think it's a really good one.

I agree, Ish. If they considered family names, I think they choose names that were meaningful to both sides of William's family. In the future, they may honor Catherine's side of the family.

These Godparent reports are ridiculous particularly the sense of "normality" they are supposed to give. George isn't going to have a "normal" life and being surrounded by exceedingly rich, land-owning people won't give it either. Lack of a title does not mean normal. It's rather "let's pretend". I really would like the remaining godparents (if there are any) to reflect reality and royal, protected, protocol-led life he is going to lead.

I agree, Ish. If they considered family names, I think they choose names that were meaningful to both sides of William's family. In the future, they may honor Catherine's side of the family.

True there. They also may not really worry about doing that. Not every family places a lot of emphasis on using family names. I think the only family given name used among the Middleton children was Elizabeth (which, I'm sure we could expect to see appear in a daughter's name regardless). Francis was something of a family name in the Middletons, but as Michael didn't see fit to pass it on to his son I wouldn't be surprised if passing it, or other names, on to Catherine's children would be a big issue.

There's a difference here, between Catherine's family and the M-Ws or Spencers. We know the Spencers and M-Ws have a history of repeating names, so we should expect to see those names appear in any Cambridge children (and we did with George). The Middletons don't have that history, so to not see an appearances shouldn't be taken as an oversight or neglecting the Middleton heritage.

These Godparent reports are ridiculous particularly the sense of "normality" they are supposed to give. George isn't going to have a "normal" life and being surrounded by exceedingly rich, land-owning people won't give it either. Lack of a title does not mean normal. It's rather "let's pretend". I really would like the remaining godparents (if there are any) to reflect reality and royal, protected, protocol-led life he is going to lead.
Try telling that to the media.

Every comment about the baby's names are true and valid: nevertheless, I am confident in my belief that William intended to honour his mother and her family, first and foremost. Apart from his grandparents, father and brother, William is far closer to the Spencer family (whom he sees regularly) and his in-laws (an affectionate and close-knit family which he relishes) than the royal family. As someone said, he's very much his mother's son, but his position is much, much stronger.

So far as the Christening goes, of course he and the Duchess should ask whomsoever they choose, irrespective of their rank in life, royal or otherwise. Although it's naturally of interest to us, it's really none of our business - it's purely the parents' prerogative, though given the baby's probable future role, a royal or two from somewhere might be appropriate, i.e. Haakon of Norway? Mary or Frederik of Denmark?

Sunday times is saying that not a single member of the royal family or middletons are asked to be godparents. I am alittle surprised Harry and Pippa aren't on it...but, they are family and they will always play a huge part in all of their childrens lives. I remember Ingrid Seward saying don't assume family members like pippa/harry would be asked because they are already aunts and uncles. I also wonder if another reason TVS and James and Guy weren't asked was because they played impt parts in the reception part of the royal wedding.

I am not able to view the full article, but, that was in the bit I could see.

Sunday times is saying that not a single member of the royal family or middletons are asked to be godparents. I am alittle surprised Harry and Pippa aren't on it...but, they are family and they will always play a huge part in all of their childrens lives. I remember Ingrid Seward saying don't assume family members like pippa/harry would be asked because they are already aunts and uncles. I also wonder if another reason TVS and James and Guy weren't asked was because they played impt parts in the reception part of the royal wedding.

I am not able to view the full article, but, that was in the bit I could see.

Odd, odd, and more odd, IMHO.

What's next, a christening gown from Marks & Sparks?

I don't think its that odd the only members of the royals that probably had a chance were probably Harry, Zara and Peter...

I think the guest list is going to consist of the godparents and their spouses and harry, charles, camila, queen, prince phillip, and the middletons.

I do wonder it their is a chance of a spencer being in their..bc they only said royals and middletons.

Last edited:
The more I think on it, its starting to make sense to me that their choices of godparents are seemingly going to exclude the royal family and the Middletons.

Its kinda like this. There's a dinner and to make sure it goes off with perfection, you need the right kind of things on the table to support the meal. The royals are forks, the Middletons are the spoons and the Spencers are the knives. They are a given for any meal. In this case, the meal is a shrimp dinner. Their choices or godparents are the shrimp forks. Now there's just about everything needed to for the meal to succeed.

I think who we thought were closest to Will and Kate family wise, they see as already going to be a huge part of George's life regardless. Its a given. We still have to wait on the announcement of the other godparents and I think we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Every comment about the baby's names are true and valid: nevertheless, I am confident in my belief that William intended to honour his mother and her family, first and foremost. Apart from his grandparents, father and brother, William is far closer to the Spencer family (whom he sees regularly) and his in-laws (an affectionate and close-knit family which he relishes) than the royal family. As someone said, he's very much his mother's son, but his position is much, much stronger. So far as the Christening goes, of course he and the Duchess should ask whomsoever they choose, irrespective of their rank in life, royal or otherwise. Although it's naturally of interest to us, it's really none of our business - it's purely the parents' prerogative, though given the baby's probable future role, a royal or two from somewhere might be appropriate, i.e. Haakon of Norway? Mary or Frederik of Denmark?

I think that godparents who are from another royal house just for the sake of it is outdated now. The only reason we still see it commonly with the Scandinavians is because they actually are friends and pretty close.

Martin ‏@MartinRoyalUK 5h
Regarding Prince George's godparents, Ken Palace said they'd be issuing an operational note 'closer to the christening'. My guess; this week

Back
Top Bottom