Catherine & William: 'Closer' Magazine and Breach of Privacy - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the lighter side of things.....

Oh how times have changed! Back in the time of Henry VIII, one of the most prestigious jobs of employ in the Royal Household was the "Groom of the Stool". How close was he really to the King? You guessed it. He was the royal arse wiper. Now that is getting up close and personal methinks.

Royal-Arse-Wiper

IMO, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge can take as many 'holidays' as they want as long as it fits in with William's RAF schedule.

William is a millionaire and the segment of the British public that complain about the Royals, will always complain no matter if W&C never left Wales.

IMO the closing ceremony wasn't an issue either. The Earl of Wessex is Patron of the British Paralympic Association, and he was representing HM in that capacity.

Last edited:
I'm probably more conservative than most, but I never would have considered going topless while in the vicinity of our servants.

While my sympathies all completely on William and Kate's side and I considered the publication of the photographies a gross invasion of privacy that must not go unpunished, I'd like to point out a couple of points (all my opinion and point of view):

1. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are the most famous couple in the world. More famous than Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, David and Victoria Beckham or any other "super couple". They know they are followed 24/7 and have to be more careful. At all times. Even when they think they are safe from prying eyes. The topless pictures were top news even in Armenia for several days - and we report news on royalty not more than once a year.

2. The reality is that they can trust very limited number of people, and certainly cannot rely on the discretion of photographers. Harry's recent Vegas adventure should have taught them a lesson or two as well. They should have considered the possibility that one of the stuff might take and sell pictures, no matter what sort of confidentiality agreements had been signed. And while the sympathies of people appear to be firmly on their side right now, the unfortunate pictures will always be there for anyone to see if a simple Google search is made.

3. William and Kate should be more careful about the number of holidays they take, regardless of their length or whether they really, really need them. If I'm not mistaken, at the time they were in France the Paralympic Games were taking place in London. I remember a couple of articles stating they made few Paralympic appearances because they were preparing for their upcoming tour: the revelation they were enjoying another holiday will not bode will with the British people, especially long-term.

I have no opinion on the number of holidays William and Catherine take, but the logical outcome of a person, (or couple), consistently guarding against your number 1 and 2 scenarios is a life of never ending suspicion and paranoia that I think would drive anyone mad. Whenever they're in public they're surrounded by press and nosy people with camera phones. When they're secluded on private property they need to worry about long range lenses and who knows what other, ever more invasive technologies that will certainly become available over the next several years. When they're inside you suggest they need to guard against the housekeeping staff as well as, I assume, the various civil servants and government employees who will be in and out of their homes as time goes by.
I guess one solution to this problem is William and Kate accepting the idea that someone may ALWAYS be watching them, no matter what, and behaving accordingly. To me, though, it seems much more sensible, not to mention more compassionate and humane, to punish the criminals rather than the victims.

IMO, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge can take as many 'holidays' as they want as long as it fits in with William's RAF schedule.

William is a millionaire and the segment of the British public that complain about the Royals, always complain no matter if W&C never left Wales.

IMO the closing ceremony wasn't an issue either. The Earl of Wessex is Patron of the British Paralympic Association, and he was representing HM in that capacity.

I agree - they are a privileged class and they will take vacations. HM and the DoE take 8 weeks in the summer, 6 weeks at Christmas. The younger royals tend to break it up into short stints between their other commitments. And as they take them in more public locations, ski resorts, islands, there are more sightings. More and more I'm beginning to understand why some just retreat to a castle.

As for the closing ceremonies - they were never expected to attend. They were leaving on their tour the next day. A late night event before travelling 1/2 way around the world doesnt make sense for anyone. They were seen at the airport at noon on Monday.

I have no opinion on the number of holidays William and Catherine take, but the logical outcome of a person, (or couple), consistently guarding against your number 1 and 2 scenarios is a life of never ending suspicion and paranoia that I think would drive anyone mad. Whenever they're in public they're surrounded by press and nosy people with camera phones. When they're secluded on private property they need to worry about long range lenses and who knows what other, ever more invasive technologies that will certainly become available over the next several years. When they're inside you suggest they need to guard against the housekeeping staff as well as, I assume, the various civil servants and government employees who will be in and out of their homes as time goes by.
I guess one solution to this problem is William and Kate accepting the idea that someone may ALWAYS be watching them, no matter what, and behaving accordingly. To me, though, it seems much more sensible, not to mention more compassionate and humane, to punish the criminals rather than the victims.
William and Kate - or any of the royals - are NOT like the rest of us. They enjoy life of an immense privilege, but have to pay a high price for that: they have no privacy at all. Because they are royals and are, to a large extent, funded by taxpayers, they are regarded as more or less public property.

Now, millionaires or just well-off people can have as many vacations as they want and no one will say a word against them: for instance, I took three vacations last year, each lasting two weeks. However, the royals are different because even when they personally fund they trips, the security is still covered by the taxpayers. They have to be incredibly the public mood - and taking seemingly endless number of vacations when the country is in difficult times (economy-wise) is not a very good idea. At least, that's my perception.

I agree - they are a privileged class and they will take vacations. HM and the DoE take 8 weeks in the summer, 6 weeks at Christmas. The younger royals tend to break it up into short stints between their other commitments. And as they take them in more public locations, ski resorts, islands, there are more sightings. More and more I'm beginning to understand why some just retreat to a castle.

As for the closing ceremonies - they were never expected to attend. They were leaving on their tour the next day. A late night event before travelling 1/2 way around the world doesnt make sense for anyone. They were seen at the airport at noon on Monday.

I never said anything about the Closing Ceremony. However, as Paralympic ambassadors, both William and Kate were expected to attended considerably more events than they did. Their absence would have been understandable if William were working and Kate - preparing for the tour, but that was not the case.

I would like to add that everything I wrote is strictly my opinion. No disrespect is meant either to the Duke and Duchess, or any members of the forum.

These Editors and the paps have learnt nothing. Their actions are vile and vomitous people...who should experience a dose of their own medicine.

So even if those pics hadn't been taken Kate was still stripping off in view of (one would hope for safety reasons) her bodyguards and taking a very big risk of staff in the villa seeing her. This idiot has probably cost certain people their job due to her irresponsible exhibitionism and I say irresponsible because she should have known, for all sorts of valid reasons, not to have done what she did.

Angela, you're missing the point. Instead of blaming the duchess who was spending quality time with her husband, she was subjected to this. She didn't ask for this. It was their time alone and what they do alone is no one's business. They live in the public eye and they deserve the space and respect his mother did not get. Her photos are splashed over the internet. it is a violation akin to sexual assault. So don't blame the couple. It is totally unfair. It's like if i were walking around my house in my undies and took a long lens shot and put it in the paper. I would feel violated. Taking a photo of someone, an ordinary person in the street unbeknowst to them is illegal. So why are paps allowed to take pictures of people who are famous when they are unaware or in their down time. It's not newsworthy. Paparazzinng should be subject to hefty, hefty fines on the individual paps. Editors and publishers who do publish should be subject to the same penalties.

I wonder if our attitudes about privacy have changed because of such TV shows like "living with Kardashians" and the Real Wives shows showing people 24/7.
If we can watch them, why not the royals 24/7.

I do not see why Catherine is being blamed. She was at a private home not a public beach. The picture were taken by an extremely long range lens from a road or maybe the actual property.

I do think these pictures will have serious repercussion on future relationships between Prince William and the media.

I do not see why Catherine is being blamed. She was at a private home not a public beach. The picture were taken by an extremely long range lens from a road or maybe the actual property.
According to the DM, the picture was taken from the road.
Here is the approximate location of the photographer.

Artemisia said:
I never said anything about the Closing Ceremony. However, as Paralympic ambassadors, both William and Kate were expected to attended considerably more events than they did. Their absence would have been understandable if William were working and Kate - preparing for the tour, but that was not the case.

I would like to add that everything I wrote is strictly my opinion. No disrespect is meant either to the Duke and Duchess, or any members of the forum.

Artemisia, I wasn't debating you, I was merely agreeing with Duke-of-Earl, who commented on the closing ceremony absence.

Paparazzis suck

[

Regardless of the fact the idiot paparazzi was on a public road, he was looking in and stealing private moments from them. it is akin to being a peeping tom, totally creepy, inappropriate and way out of line. Paparazzis should be held accountable and like all jobs, be it lawyers, drs etc there should be a code of professional behaviour set in place if they chose to do this kind of thing.

QUOTE=Artemisia;1464386]According to the DM, the picture was taken from the road.
Here is the approximate location of the photographer.[/QUOTE]

Paparazzis should be held accountable and like all jobs, be it lawyers, drs etc there should be a code of professional behaviour set in place if they chose to do this kind of thing.

Honourable professional photographers don't need a code of conduct, and the idea of such a code would seem to be at odds with the very definition of a paparazzo: "freelance photographer who aggressively pursues celebrities for the purpose of taking candid photographs".

Oh good lord who cares! If u have a problem with their holidays go whine about it in another thread. Back to discussing these photos and what was done to Kate

Not her fault, but she should've realised that she is a public figure and the paparazzi will do anything to get a shot let alone a scandalous shot. William obviously couldn't forget what the paparazzi did to his mum. If Kate wanted to sunbathe the palaces in England are the safest option.

I am of the opinion she herself is to blame. But what she did us a very normal thing to do. She should just take it with a pinch of salt.

This thread is just going in circles with people repeating their opinion page after page. What's the point?

A Danish magazine has published pictures of her changing her bikini bottom. If only she had worn a swimsuit. But that was for swimming and she wanted to get a tan. High price to pay when you can use fake creams and go to a beauty shop.

I do think if she had been on the phone to a good friend and said I'm going topless the friend would have WARNED HER NOT TO. A good friend would have! Even William in France did not spot the danger. AKA Sarah Duchess of York. We all make mistakes but I am sure Kate has appeared topless before but just never got caught!

Oh dear. Hail has been added to the rainstorm. Apparently the suite of photos available in print now includes shots of Kate removing and replacing her bikini bottoms.

Article here.

I am so disgusted. And a little heartsick for the two of them. A piece of me wants them to both strip naked, get out on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, invite the world's press corp, let them take as many pictures as they want and be done with it. Take the mystique, mystery and novelty away and you have no interest.

Whatever minor, fleeting, vestigial thoughts I had regarding how they might have, possibly, been more aware of the risk and acted accordingly or how their security might have been a little more vigilant have been *entirely* replaced by disgust to even be a part of a species (the only one, mind you) that preys on its own members.

It's not even about them being a Royal Prince and his wife, a Royal Duchess. It's not about them being a future Monarch and his Consort. It's about them being human beings. People. What sadness they must have in their hearts, what heaviness of spirit, to know that this is the world in which they are expected to provide leadership.

There are two ways it can go:

1. They will close up, guard their privacy so profoundly that they become true figureheads (not in the political sense) ... and we lose one of our most important connections to them. I worry more about this with Prince William than with Catherine.

2. They will refuse to let the cycle break them and they will try to break it by not allowing such things to alter who and what they are and how they conduct themselves among their own people(s). They will become more open, defiantly even.

I am sincerely hoping for a little defiance. Keep that thunder on your face, William, it's a good look - just keep it pointed at the target.

That just takes the biscuit, not only did she remove her top she got full naked just to get a decent tan? Hilarious.

There's nothing wrong with being pale girls.

I wonder if we might see a King Peter and Queen Autumn in the future? Because if THIS is what goes along with being the heir or the monarch.IT IS NOT WORTH IT!!! William,Harry Beatrice and Eugenie better head for the hills.

That just takes the biscuit, not only did she remove her top she got full naked just to get a decent tan? Hilarious.

Why hilarious? The Duke and Duchess were on a private estate and not a beach in Ibiza

Respectfully, while I appreciate your opinion and accept that it's valid and you are entitled to it, the addition of the single word sentence "Hilarious." renders it intellectually void.

Unfortunate. Irresponsible, even. These are words that match your opinion. Hilarious is another thing which bespeaks a kind of "neener neener" superiority that is both disrespectful and inappropriate.

Whatever this may be, whatever side of the fence you fall on, there is one thing I am sure this situation is not ... and that would be "hilarious".

Again, I make these comments with respect, knowing you have the same rights as I do to express an opinion.

:previous: A very articulate response, Catherine J. I couldn't agree more.

Catherine J said:
Respectfully, while I appreciate your opinion and accept that it's valid and you are entitled to it, the addition of the single word sentence "Hilarious." renders it intellectually void.

Unfortunate. Irresponsible, even. These are words that match your opinion. Hilarious is another thing which bespeaks a kind of "neener neener" superiority that is both disrespectful and inappropriate.

Whatever this may be, whatever side of the fence you fall on, there is one thing I am sure this situation is not ... and that would be "hilarious".

Again, I make these comments with respect, knowing you have the same rights as I do to express an opinion.

Thank you :)
I find it hilarious for a person to strip for a decent tan when everyone knows the side effects. Catherine looks good with pale skin. I personally find stripping, for anyone anywhere a strange idea. Not just for royals.

A light tan is ok but over the years I've seen women/girls so dark their skin looks leathery and unhealthy. Also seen the results of women who have tanned for years, as they age it ain't so pretty!

I'll stay 'natural'.

LaRae

I'm probably more conservative than most, but I never would have considered going topless while in the vicinity of our servants.

While my sympathies all completely on William and Kate's side and I considered the publication of the photographies a gross invasion of privacy that must not go unpunished, I'd like to point out a couple of points (all my opinion and point of view):

1. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are the most famous couple in the world. More famous than Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, David and Victoria Beckham or any other "super couple". They know they are followed 24/7 and have to be more careful. At all times. Even when they think they are safe from prying eyes. The topless pictures were top news even in Armenia for several days - and we report news on royalty not more than once a year.

2. The reality is that they can trust very limited number of people, and certainly cannot rely on the discretion of photographers. Harry's recent Vegas adventure should have taught them a lesson or two as well. They should have considered the possibility that one of the stuff might take and sell pictures, no matter what sort of confidentiality agreements had been signed. And while the sympathies of people appear to be firmly on their side right now, the unfortunate pictures will always be there for anyone to see if a simple Google search is made.

3. William and Kate should be more careful about the number of holidays they take, regardless of their length or whether they really, really need them. If I'm not mistaken, at the time they were in France the Paralympic Games were taking place in London. I remember a couple of articles stating they made few Paralympic appearances because they were preparing for their upcoming tour: the revelation they were enjoying another holiday will not bode will with the British people, especially long-term.

With all due respect Artemisia, if William and Kate accept points 1 and 2, their life is going to become increasingly unbearable. Of course they have responsibilities due to the fact that they receive a degree of taxpayer funding, but if this is the new 'normal' for royals then it's going to blow up in all our faces sooner rather than later. I would hate to see things get to the point where a royal is so harassed that they do something stupid. Is it any wonder that these people end up living such dysfunctional, often unhappy lives when they are denied the most basic of human rights?

Politicians, actors, musicians etc. generally live a normal life before coming into the public eye. They enjoy a private life and at some point make the conscious decision to give some of that up. They can also choose to withdraw from public life altogether. William has never had those options.

With regard to point 3, I've stated on these forums previously that William and Kate have to be very careful with their holidays. In this instance, I feel your criticism is unfair. I've seen no public criticism regarding their Paralympic involvement in the UK. The context of all this is that William, Kate and Harry were appointed Team GB ambassadors at a time when polls showed that the British people were not engaged with the Olympics. There were general fears that the public wouldn't come out to support the torch relay, buy tickets, participate in the cultural olympiad or support the GB team. This worry was ultimately misplaced as we saw, but Kate and William attended numerous events as part of their roles.

The greater issue, to me at least, is the fact that the Queen and the Prince of Wales chose not to attend a single Paralympic event, with the exception of the opening in the case of the Queen. They also attended almost none of the Olympics which was sad.

Unfortunately, the Cambridges' overseas tour was very close to the Paralympics and they needed to take a couple of days out before hand. That doesn't seem in any way excessive to me.

Warning: there is a bit of frank language in the linked article (body parts discussed in the common vernacular) but overall it had me nodding.

It concerns, is a bit of an open letter in some respects, the people who are clearly on the "well, what did she expect" side of the debate.

Anyway, read or don't ... YMMV

We Could Do With Some Manners

Warning: there is a bit of frank language in the linked article (body parts discussed in the common vernacular) but overall it had me nodding.

It concerns, is a bit of an open letter in some respects, the people who are clearly on the "well, what did she expect" side of the debate.

Anyway, read or don't ... YMMV

We Could Do With Some Manners
The comments of user below is somewhat disgusting. A public person will always be judged as a "fat' or "skinny", Kate is far from being an anorexic and she could be a role model anyway, at least she is natural ( implying breasts etc.). But the papers won't stop discussing it until they find new topic to start.

A long with my image of William going into a rage over this; I also fear Catherine has said tears over this. No woman....or person deserves this crap.

Artemisia, I wasn't debating you, I was merely agreeing with Duke-of-Earl, who commented on the closing ceremony absence.
My apologies for misunderstanding: I had posted my response before noticing DoE's post.

Thank you :)
I find it hilarious for a person to strip for a decent tan when everyone knows the side effects. Catherine looks good with pale skin. I personally find stripping, for anyone anywhere a strange idea. Not just for royals.
I happen to agree with you completely, on both accounts. Pale is, to me, much more attractive than the orange fake tan or unnatural deep tan. And getting completely naked in a place where you could potentially be seen (if not by paparazzi then by stuff or security) is bizarre and definitely not something I personally would ever consider doing. Then again, I acknowledge being more conservative than many.

With all due respect Artemisia, if William and Kate accept points 1 and 2, their life is going to become increasingly unbearable. Of course they have responsibilities due to the fact that they receive a degree of taxpayer funding, but if this is the new 'normal' for royals then it's going to blow up in all our faces sooner rather than later. I would hate to see things get to the point where a royal is so harassed that they do something stupid. Is it any wonder that these people end up living such dysfunctional, often unhappy lives when they are denied the most basic of human rights?

Politicians, actors, musicians etc. generally live a normal life before coming into the public eye. They enjoy a private life and at some point make the conscious decision to give some of that up. They can also choose to withdraw from public life altogether. William has never had those options.

With regard to point 3, I've stated on these forums previously that William and Kate have to be very careful with their holidays. In this instance, I feel your criticism is unfair. I've seen no public criticism regarding their Paralympic involvement in the UK. The context of all this is that William, Kate and Harry were appointed Team GB ambassadors at a time when polls showed that the British people were not engaged with the Olympics. There were general fears that the public wouldn't come out to support the torch relay, buy tickets, participate in the cultural olympiad or support the GB team. This worry was ultimately misplaced as we saw, but Kate and William attended numerous events as part of their roles.

The greater issue, to me at least, is the fact that the Queen and the Prince of Wales chose not to attend a single Paralympic event, with the exception of the opening in the case of the Queen. They also attended almost none of the Olympics which was sad.

Unfortunately, the Cambridges' overseas tour was very close to the Paralympics and they needed to take a couple of days out before hand. That doesn't seem in any way excessive to me.

EIIR, as always, I respect your point of view, whether we agree or not. :flowers:
However, the simple fact is royals are not like the rest of us. Their life is made easier in every imaginable way - but the price for that is complete lack of privacy. It has always been the case, long before the digital era. They can accept or decline such life, but they can't expect to enjoy all privileges, yet also be like "everyone else". It's depressing, unfair but unlikely to change. And if we go there, I don't think their lives are all that hard: a mother who has to watch her child die of hunger - that's a tragedy. Keeping ones cloths on when there is a possibility of being photographed (by paparazzi, stuff or security) is common sense and necessity.

A long with my image of William going into a rage over this; I also fear Catherine has said tears over this. No woman....or person deserves this crap.
That I completely agree with. Any woman would have been depressed at such gross violation of privacy. The downside of being famous.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom