Catherine & William: 'Closer' Magazine and Breach of Privacy - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fandesacs2003 said:
France is a Republic, and noblesse titles have been abolished since the French Revolution. All citizens of France and abroad are towards french law equal civil persons and they use only their legal name. It is the law for W+K to be referred like this. Noblesse title are still used by French aristocrats, only in their social life.
I'm sure that even QEII will be referred as Elisabeth Windsor-Bowes Lyon (or Moundbatten, I do not really know)

Got more to do with the fact she isn't Middleton than the none use of their titles.

From what Sky News were saying, these weren't 'royal lawyers' acting for the Cambridges, rather they were lawyers from a separate French firm that were recommended to them for the purposes of the French litigation. I don't think this firm have previous experience of acting on behalf of the British royals and so their names are not 100% correct. I don't think it's a big issue.

I'm just glad they won the injunction.

Got more to do with the fact she isn't Middleton than the none use of their titles.

I think it was as someone from France said, the surname of the Duchess was used as is custom. her maiden name. Was also said that it could have been added espouse Mountbatten-Windsor but wasn't.

Channel 5 in the UK are milking the current peak in William and Catherine interest, they are showing a 1 hour baby fever 'documentary'. Discussing how the child will be brought up, where, godparents. Television is in the toilet.

It's not just the papers making money.

Snakes and Ladders!

Whilst EBay has now CLOSED down the Option to Bid on any Magazines concerning the couple.

Germany, America and Australia are now considering whether to publish the pictures in some of their weekly magazines.

Don't be surprised if when the couple return to the UK on Thursday/Friday 20 Sep they don't head straight for Wales and stay there till Xmas.

Channel 5 in the UK are milking the current peak in William and Catherine interest, they are showing a 1 hour baby fever 'documentary'. Discussing how the child will be brought up, where, godparents. Television is in the toilet.

It's not just the papers making money.

Well, the docs are expected. I remember the ones about finding William a wife a couple years back. Also, one on how to marry a prince.

The degree of attention and interest among the press when it comes to these two is just bonkers. One of the lawyers was heading into the courtroom in Paris yesterday and they were pursued by what I can only compare to a rugby scrum of TV crews, reporters, photographers apparently from all over the world. I mean, William and Kate weren't even there!

I can only imagine what the press is going to be like when Kate is pregnant and has her first child. I think that's why it's important for them to make the point to the media that there are certain things they won't tolerate. This is the time to do it, rather than when there are little children involved or when Kate is expecting.

It's only fair the Will and Kate sue the press for this and good that they won! What they did this time is wrong and intrusive and this is a good lesson for the media. Will and Kate need to show them that they will not be messed with. They have their rights to privacy too.

The degree of attention and interest among the press when it comes to these two is just bonkers. One of the lawyers was heading into the courtroom in Paris yesterday and they were pursued by what I can only compare to a rugby scrum of TV crews, reporters, photographers apparently from all over the world. I mean, William and Kate weren't even there!

I can only imagine what the press is going to be like when Kate is pregnant and has her first child. I think that's why it's important for them to make the point to the media that there are certain things they won't tolerate. This is the time to do it, rather than when there are little children involved or when Kate is expecting.

I've read a few articles concerning this issue and for the majority, the opinion is that this was a very wrong invasion of privacy and some even gave links to what Wills and Kate were doing on their tour. And that was just in the comment section.

The line has been drawn in the sand. Someone stepped over it and its going to be taken care of.. legally by any meas necessary. Those that are wishing for a baby bump from the Duchess will actually find out if and when THEY decide to announce it.

Isn't that what our mods have been telling us?

Let's be honest. This won't stop anything, only these special pictures are concerned. French celebrities and the princily family of Monaco have sued several times before including Charlotte casiraghi with criminal charge some months ago. They will only get about 30000-40000 euros (the magazines already have a budget for that kind of lawsuit) and the decision will be seen on closer's next front page but that won't stop Closer for publishing another pictures of them from another times.

Last edited:
Let's be honest. This won't stop anything, only these special pictures are concerned. French celebrities and the princily family of Monaco have sued several times before including Charlotte casiraghi with criminal charge some months ago. They will only get about 30000-40000 euros (the magazines already have a budget for that kind of lawsuit) and the decision will be seen on closer's next front page but that won't stop Closer for publishing another pictures from another times.
The Dutch Royals have the correct idea......and it works.

And also, I doubt anyone will be jailed. Never happened before!

My laugh for the day!!!!

If you can use Google, you'll be able to see that William hasn't got much left to hide from us all.

It's not the same with men anyway. I mean, William was every bit as topless in Provence as Kate was, but nobody blinks an eye.

Oh gawd! Just great! My country is probably going to be next to publish these pix. I will hang my head in shame that there is no class in American media.

Oh gawd! Just great! My country is probably going to be next to publish these pix. I will hang my head in shame that there is no class in American media.

It is my sincerest, one might even say fervent, wish that no Canadian media outlets fall to the temptation. I would be so ashamed, as you say.

You have that right. I'll be standing next to you in the shamed corner

I'm just glad they won the injunction.

I sometimes think the media and certain commentators underestimate just how 'tough' the Duke of Cambridge is. IMO HRH does not take abuse from anyone and the tabloid press cross him at their peril.
I'm sure the last thing Closer thought was they would wind up in court having TRH lawyer staring them down lol.

There is nothing strange at that: France is a republic, so titles are not legally recognised. When you go to court, you are indentified and addressed to by your family name and for a woman by your birth name, what could just had been added would be :
Catherine Middleton, épouse Mountbatten-Windsor, but this is not mandatory.
This is totally usual.

Thank you assia, and Nico, for pointing this out. It's interesting to know what happens under different legal systems.

I feel sorry for the duchess in this situation, but she is smart. I bet this doesn't happen again. She will always know to wear a bikini or a bandeau top from now on, no matter how private she thinks her surroundings are.

Has anyone else noticed how the British tabloids and especially the DM are trying desperately to re-frame this 'scandal' involving Closer and TRH?
I have counted 4 articles in the last 2 days where basically they start out with 'we deplore this type of intrusion into their privacy BUT....' and then go on to blame the Duchess of Cambridge and tell her to 'keep her kit on'
Richard Littlejohn of the DM went as far as to say that the Duchess is 'public property' and should expect photos any time and anywhere. With Leveson still to issue his report, it clear that the DM is trying in influence the debate and basically say 'blame the victim.
I think it will interesting to see just how much coverage the British tabloids continue to give this story especially if the court continues to rule against Closer.

I do think the timing of all of this mess, however unfortunate was the best it could have been on a few levels. Because they were on tour they were busy every minute of every day. They had a job to dp. There was no hiding, no stalking by the UK press for that shot of Kate crying. The press was already with them.
Also the press Corp traveling with them got a backstage pass to see the fall out from something like this. It may have forged a stronger relationship between the Cambridges and their home press. Will and Kate were more human and real people to them, and maybe W&K saw some allies and not always the necessary evil.

They didn't have time to dwell on anything... They called in their A-Team...delegated what needed to be done and moved on and trusted those at home to fight the good fight. They didn't have to look at the press and the photos. It became a daily status report. they had a job to do and they were doing it brilliantly. They were visiting countries that were so joyful and happy...it became infectious and rubbed off.

and most important ... they were together. And they could help each other and balance each other's pain and anger in the moment. they were a good team. If William had been in Wales and on shift and trying to take care of Kate. And Kate wouldn't have been there to forge on and calm him down. Flying back and forth to London, Scotland, and wales would have just perpetuated the drama. This way, They were working together...with people so less fortunate than them but happy.

And nice closure that the injunction came just before they return.

Media a Friend or an Enemy

:ohmy:In due course William and Catherine will learn that the Media is a very powerful force. They can build you up and also can tare you down. It is left to them to decide "that is it not what you do is how you d it."

I agree that the media goes to far to hurt people. It is better to have a friend than an enemy.

Back
Top Bottom