Catherine & William: 'Closer' Magazine and Breach of Privacy - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about French laws but perhaps they have a 'cap' on how much damages one can seek per day or in total?

LaRae

I think the Cambridges had some sort of security with them.

William & catherine did put duty first ahead of their short vacation. They carried out official engagements throughout this year. They attended the official engagements with The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, they attended the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, Trooping the Colour, Olympic & Paralympic ceremonies and games. They have also supported their charities too. So what do you mean that they haven't put royal duty first? They can take a little vacation if they want to, just like all the other royals and non royals.

They were also official ambassadors for the Paralympic Games - something at which it was expected they would attend. Kate did so a couple of times but William never did. They then used the excuse of 'prior commitments' to avoid attending the Closing Ceremony surely an event an official ambassador should have attended.

If that event had been William working or Kate doing an engagement elsewhere fine - but to be on holidays - that is not right.

They were also official ambassadors for the Paralympic Games - something at which it was expected they would attend. Kate did so a couple of times but William never did. They then used the excuse of 'prior commitments' to avoid attending the Closing Ceremony surely an event an official ambassador should have attended.

If that event had been William working or Kate doing an engagement elsewhere fine - but to be on holidays - that is not right.

William attended some events in the first week, and then went back on duty with the RAF. Their holiday was only three days towards the end.

What bothers me is this: what if the stalkers didn't have cameras but had guns or some other weapons? Would the protective services still have been unaware that they were there?

Last edited:
What bothers me is this: what if the stalkers didn't have cameras but had guns or some other weapons? Would the protective services still have been unaware that they were there?
Probably. The set-up of the villa and the pool would make it impossible to protect someone wanting to lounge by the pool.

They attended a few events throughout the olympics, so personally whether they attended the closing or not, isnt much of a big deal. There support was shown throughout the games and they did a great job.
Taking 3 days off before a huge tour is the least they could do, especially after William working as well as Kate, not forgetting the couple have been busy throughout the olympics at various olympic events.

That's exactly what i'm trying to say. They try to make them look like pure angelic people when there not. Now the cover is blown and this shows who they really are.

I doubt anyone who ever saw the pic of Catherine modelling that see-through "dress" at university believed she was in private wearing burkhas. Go figure! So what "cover" was there blown? The fact that Catherine delights in highlighting her nice body occasionally does not diminish the fact that she on public engagements always dresses suitable.

Why is it so difficult to understand that Catherine owes most of us nothing at all and the Britons only part of her being because she promised that more or less on marrying William and accepting a Royal position?

Some here react as if she had been seen committing adultery on a public road...:ermm:

Kate and Willian are innocient victims of money hungry people. The woman who took those pictures does she have a daughter?. I do not see what is the big fus of nude or almost nude pictures. Our fore parents Adam and Eve lived in the garden of Eden in their birth clothing. Men have seen women nude(in person). Why a woman should want to see nude pictures of another woman since they have the same birth clothing by nature.

Kate is now a member of the Royal Family. Experience is our best teacher.
Tomorrow is another day and this dark cloud will pass like all others.

Can I be one to suggest that this need it's own thread? There are what 15-20 pages plus discussing this and whilst it's an event it's not like it's one Catherine or William are 'attending'.

Henry got his own thread pretty quick?

William and Kate are angels?! Lmao! Didn't they live together for years before they got married? Were they saying the nightly prayers and then going to separate rooms? Did William never see Kate topless until their wedding nite?

William attended some events in the first week, and then went back on duty with the RAF. Their holiday was only three days towards the end.

The point is that said they had 'prior commitments' and that turned out to be a holiday.

They are supposed to be royals whose job is to represent their nation. When they have an official role that role takes precedence over their own desires for holidays.

"Does anyone remember that Princess Diana was hounded to death by the Paparazzi?
Her son is now witnessing his wife receive the same kind of "no boundaries" treatment that ultimately killed his mother.
And so far not one reporter has made that connection! Is it amnesia? How could anyone forget the state of seige that Princess Diana lived under. And here it is... starting all over again."

Saw that quote in the news today. Thought I'd share.

To me this is not true at all. Diana's relationship with the media was a very special topic, not as black and white as portrayed by the palace at all.

William should refrain from bringing his mother into his own relationship with the media over and over again. Its like a jack-in-the-box coming out every time William is unhappy with the media. Time to finally get over it and move on.

William and Kate are angels?! Lmao! Didn't they live together for years before they got married? Were they saying the nightly prayers and then going to separate rooms? Did William never see Kate topless until their wedding nite?

The problem is not William to see his wife topless!!! The problem is the THE WHOLE PLANET (at least those who care) saw her!:bang:

I just read a report saying that Chi magazine, in addition to the photos, printed an interview with a prominent Italian plastic surgeon who gave his expert opinion of the future configuration of the breasts in question. Yuck. Leave her alone!

How a ceategory of Press find the imagination to be soooooooo disgusting????

To me this is not true at all. Diana's relationship with the media was a very special topic, not as black and white as portrayed by the palace at all.

William should refrain from bringing his mother into his own relationship with the media over and over again. Its like a jack-in-the-box coming out every time William is unhappy with the media. Time to finally get over it and move on.

I agree. With both paragraphs. One has nothing to do with the other. Nothing, of course, is straightforward, but it seems to me from the armchair in which I sit and quarterback these events that Catherine has, in fact, gone out of her way to distinguish her relationship with the press as being fundamentally different than the one Diana had.

There is nothing coy in Catherine that I can see and one presumes part of her charm for William is this very quality. I am sure he loved his mother very much, and deservedly so, but from what few things we know, most of which were said by Diana herself, William's young life was characterized, in part, by needing to be the "tissue bringer" in what seems, in retrospect, to have been a very emotionally difficult young life. Everything I know and have surmised by observation (a flawed and faulty process, admittedly) says that William is well aware of the part Diana played in her own media frenzy and that he will have taken precautions that this not be repeated - from either side of the fence. In fact, I have always been impressed by William's seemingly balanced "take" on this topic. Being angry and hurt that something happened in which the media played a part is not the same as thinking the media did it all on their own.

I think this lawsuit is a little like a shot across the bow ... Catherine is not my mother and I am not my father. For Trekkies, it's Picard's "The line must be drawn here. This far. No farther."

YMMV

unlike the topless pictures, getting on a plane is a very puplic, watched act for them, the media, the dignataries, the world is looking at you climb the stairs.

Kate knew that, I see nothing touching about that gesture unless William was having a public breakdown and needed support.

Oh. My. Goodness.

I, for one (and I suspect I am not alone) never saw them as either pure or angelic. Rather I find them human and natural, if not normal. That's their charm, really.

And, in what world, on what planet, in what cultural norm is being topless in front of your husband "impure"?

Further, what cover?

Yes, it does show who they really are. And I found it charming and heartwarming and I was happy for them that they seem to have a rich, happy, normal private life.

I saw a quick image in a video (I think, can't recall)
where they were getting on a plane the day this all broke. She had her hand on his back as they went into the plane and, I swear, I thought it one of the most touching things I have ever seen.
I cannot believe some of these responses.

Apologies if I seem rude. I'm just shocked - that comes out as rude sometimes.

france is a republic, they do not care a hoot whether royals work very hard.

I read on this forum that france does have strict privicy laws, but I do not really understand the purpose of the lawsuit, they are not planning to take the rags in Italy and Ireland to court. Slowly but surely those pictures will be everywhere.

what did caroline or her husband do about invasion of privicy by the press, a case they won, go to a european court, does anyone remember?

The Cambridges did their part in the Olympic and Paralympic ceremonies and they decided to take some private time off before their Jubilee Tour. Nothing wrong with them taking a little vacation.

The private property that they vacationed at was very far from any public road, which is why the photographer had to use a very long lense to take the pictures. William & Catherine were at a very private area and their privacy should've been respected.

The royals really don't ask for much. They work very hard on serving the people and all they ask is for a little down time and some privacy
. They are human like everrybody else and they deserve some privacy too.

Catherine did nothing wrong but who did do something wrong was the photographer. These paps have to know that there are boundries that they shouldn't cross. If the shoe was on the other foot, the paps wouldn't like if William & Catherine or anyone else took their pictures while they were in the privacy of their own home or on other private properties and sold the pictures for the whole world to see.

This is why many of us are taught as children to treat others the way you want to be treated. If you don't want something bad to be done to you, then don't do something bad to others.

Yes the royals live in the lap of luxury and their jobs comes with a great deal of privilege but that don't mean that their privacy should be violated and treated with disrespect.

it just popped up on the morning news, the french courts have ordered the magazine to hand over all digital photos and they can no longer continue sharing. they sitll thinking of filing criminal charges. WTG william and kate. :)

Last edited:
A court in France has banned further publication of the topless pictures. But this is just in France though, look at the 200 plus pictures that were apparently posted in an Italian magazine yesterday. A battle won in the war to wipe the pictures away.

i was listening to a talk show last night, and they were talking about the pictures. the concern of the PR people was the lawsuit would put a dollar amount on the pictures and would now put a 'bounty' out on her. i thought it was a good point, however, i also think they need to do something to slap the media.

This is a TOTAL and OUTRIGHT invasion of privacy. However I do wish that people would stop making such a fuss about it because that is just what the media want. Simply ignore the situation and it will blow over in no time.

Interestingly - the court document refers to Mr William Mountbatten-Windsor and Mrs Catherine Middleton.

In today's court announcement that bans any french publication from printing the topless pictures, Catherine is referred to as Mrs Catherine Middleton. William is known as Mr William Mountbatten-Windsor.

Frankly, I dont know why this would be a success. There will always be other countries who will print these pictures.

Question is, will Kate go topless again on a balcony because they have won one case? Will photographers refrain from taking pictures in such situation because they know the Wales will go to court? Both answers are no.

In this royal case, sueing will just be a waste of money, energy and time and will make William even more bitter towards the press. And in the end, it doesnt change a thing. Everyone has seen the pictures and the money has been made.

Bottom line: If you dont want to be seen topless or in any other compromising situation, dont get yourself into it.

Interestingly - the court document refers to Mr William Mountbatten-Windsor and Mrs Catherine Middleton.

Were they not allowed to do their royal titles?:ermm:

Anyway, congrats to the Cambridge couple! I think this ruling will be a great boost to the criminal case and squash the claim by Closer's editor that these photos should be allowed to print.

Last edited:
Frankly, I dont know why this would be a success. There will always be other countries who will print these pictures.

Question is, will Kate go topless again on a balcony because they have won one case? Will photographers refrain from taking pictures in such situation because they know the Wales will go to court? Both answers are no.

In this royal case, sueing will just be a waste of money, energy and time and will make William even more bitter towards the press. And in the end, it doesnt change a thing. Everyone has seen the pictures and the money has been made.

Bottom line: If you dont want to be seen topless or in any other compromising situation, dont get yourself into it.

Well said, I agree.

Well, I think what William & Catherine did was very important and should be applauded, they stood up for their rights for privacy. No matter if you are royal or not, no one should just sit and take the abuse from the media. This pap and magazine went out their way to invaded the privacy of two individuals and thought is was okay because they are public figures and why should they care about their feelings and rights to privacy.

Now yes, another photographer will come along and try to do the samething but maybe that person and other media outlets will think twice before they decided to do so.

I love the fact that Kate has kept her own name. She might have taken on all sorts of Royal titles as a result of marrying William, but she's hung on to this piece of her own identity. :)

I also agree!
I read that a copy of this mag. is on eBay and the bidding has reached several hundred dollars already!

This lawsuit will turn the mag. into a collector's item, and have more people scrambling to grab a copy before they disappear.

Back
Top Bottom