Catherine & William: 'Closer' Magazine and Breach of Privacy - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could not read a lot of this thread, because the judgmental attitude of so many posters is as repulsive to me as the taking of the pictures. Neither is right.

It's almost as if some of you hope that Kate will be emotionally scarred by this, but I bet she won't. She's an intelligent person.

Women should be able to take their shirts off if men do. It doesn't matter whether you're going to be the Queen of England or not. People who care that she was topless are silly, in my opinion.

The invasion of privacy started with the photos, and then continues with the excoriation of Kate by some of you for wanting to enjoy being outdoors with the sun on her skin.

I do appreciate the more sensible approaches of many of you and the compassion so many of you express.

I suspect the legal action will attempt to be low key and over with as soon as possible. The grainy pictures (some of which certainly do not look like Kate) are out there. Closer could well be sued out of existence (will be interesting to see) but it's certainly not an 'obscure' tabloid..

Well said Princess Kaimi

I wonder if Vicount Linley could press trepassing charges in the addition to the privacy charges of William and Kate if the photographer was on his land thus a double whammy of charges and fines.

It's almost as if some of you hope that Kate will be emotionally scarred by this, but I bet she won't. She's an intelligent person.

She's not only intelligent but this whole incident has shown that she's also very level headed and can carry on with grace under fire. I don't doubt that this incident has been very upsetting for the couple and they are very angry, but they sure aren't playing into the publisher's aim of denigration. What needs to be done is being done quietly and Wills and Kate are carrying on doing their Jubilee tour winning hearts wherever they go. Now that's what I call class.

Diana died because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Paparazzi didn't force her at gun point not to wear her seat belt. And by the way, when Diana died she wasn't royal she was fair game. When she was hounded by the press when married there were issues.

My response was mainly directed at the fact that I don't see why security is in anyway to blame for not scouting the area for potentially photography spots. The photographer was half a mile away with a long lens camera, what exactly could security do?

This was an invasion of privacy, but i will always be of the opinion that anyone who appears topless not in their own home is silly. It's beyond me to understand why anyone, royal or not, would do that.

I'm not interested in getting into a debate over Diana's death. What I will say is that the car she was travelling in would likely not have been travelling so fast, and the driver would have been less likely to lose control of the vehicle, had there not been a swarm of paps on scooters pursuing them. Should Diana have had her seatbelt on? Yes, absolutely, but there's little doubt that the presence and the actions of the paps was a significant factor in that accident.

Even taking Diana's death out of the equation, William saw his mother's life (and to a lesser extent, those of his other family members) blighted by paps and the press. She was complicit in it to a certain extent, but as any public figure who has faced the prospect of daily stalking by paparazzi will tell you, life very quickly becomes just about unbearable. A life with no privacy is no life at all, IMO.

Osipi said:
She's not only intelligent but this whole incident has shown that she's also very level headed and can carry on with grace under fire. I don't doubt that this incident has been very upsetting for the couple and they are very angry, but they sure aren't playing into the publisher's aim of denigration. What needs to be done is being done quietly and Wills and Kate are carrying on doing their Jubilee tour winning hearts wherever they go. Now that's what I call class.

Very well said!

There's a cultural difference involved here as well. In some places, breasts are to feed babies, period; and the men find other parts of a woman much more attractive, such as the hips. In some parts of the world, people are probably wondering what all the fuss is about.

Women should be able to take their shirts off if men do. It doesn't matter whether you're going to be the Queen of England or not. People who care that she was topless are silly, in my opinion.

I think it's deplorable that the Duchess was photographed so, with what we must assume was her every expectation of privacy in a private house on private land. Why shouldn't she go topless with her husband in such a situation?

Did you know that in New York City, of all places, it is completely legal for a woman to go topless in the public street? There is a young woman who walks around Greenwich Village with no shirt on, all the time in summer. Sometimes friends join her. Nobody hassles her. Maybe Kate should go there if she wants to take off her shirt ;)

There's a cultural difference involved here as well. In some places, breasts are to feed babies, period; and the men find other parts of a woman much more attractive, such as the hips. In some parts of the world, people are probably wondering what all the fuss is about.

I really don't think its a matter of bare breasts at all. Even with cultural differences all over the world, there have always been certain intimacies that are reserved only for between couples in their own private world. This is what I feel was violated. Something that Kate chose to share with William and William alone was taken from him and plastered all over for the world to see. One part of something very special between the two of them is now in the public domain and cheapened.

Face it, bikinis in and of themselves really don't leave that much to the imagination and the world certainly has its share of photos of bare breasts (and more) in abundance readily available at one's fingertips. What this photographer's act has done was intrude on something that belonged only to William and Kate. To me that is criminal.

I really don't think its a matter of bare breasts at all. Even with cultural differences all over the world, there have always been certain intimacies that are reserved only for between couples in their own private world. This is what I feel was violated. Something that Kate chose to share with William and William alone was taken from him and plastered all over for the world to see. One part of something very special between the two of them is now in the public domain and cheapened.

Face it, bikinis in and of themselves really don't leave that much to the imagination and the world certainly has its share of photos of bare breasts (and more) in abundance readily available at one's fingertips. What this photographer's act has done was intrude on something that belonged only to William and Kate. To me that is criminal.

I agree with this 100%

Here is a link to a tumblr post by #1 New York Times bestselling author John Green that I found interesting and I also agree with:

A Proposed General Rule about Pictures of Naked People

Of particular interest was his idea that those who looked at the pictures were also guilty of invading her privacy.

This is a forum. People debate in forums. Many points of view give many perspectives. Differing opinions between females doesn't mean we are being cruel to each other. I don't think any less of a person who has expressed a different point of view to my own. We might agree on something else down the track. :neutral:

And on this forum it is my opinion that some of these posters are being cruel towards Kate and William. Not as cruel as on the Royal Insights Forum but its bad enough here with the idea of blaming the victim.
Pls don't pull the opinion card to attempt to thwart someone else from having one.
As for the security I definitely do not blame them for this situation, there is only so much they can do to protect them. The fact that the photo was taken from far away gives me the impression that there was nothing anyone could do to further protect Kate. It would be like blaming Diana's security for the gym photos.

This isn't about someone else's opinion of what is suitable exposure or not. This is about privacy. William and Kate's choice for privacy. This situation violated their right to privacy. All the people ( the Closer editor included) who feel there is nothing wrong with Kate showing her breasts are missing the point...it is not their judgment or opinion that matters, Kate chose not to publicly show them. It was her choice, it was a private time between a husband and wife. And that choice was taken away from her.

If anyone can impact the privacy laws, it will be William. He has the resources, respect and history behind him to be a serious champion to effect change. Few human beings on the planet have the history with paparazzi he does. another point of note, he was instrumental in his home country on the demise of Murdoch's News of the World, essentially lighting the match. And now he is taking this to French paparazzi. He is not a frivolous boy. He is a man to be reckoned with, and I assume him to be a formidable opponent.

I also feel William is pursuing this to firmly establish how he feels about privacy. He and Kate are getting ready to start a family and I assume they will be fiercely protective parents. Private time is private time.

German media reports that the French mag which printed the pics threatens to publish "sex pics" of them if they don't give up sueing them for the publication of the other pics.

Is that true? And if so, how dare they? (BTW - I don't believe such pics exist - there is no way IMHO that Diana's son, burned child that he was, would risk being fotographed on having sexual relationships with his wife. And even if: where is the public interest in seeing a married couple that way?

It was my wishful thinking that if WIlliam sued for ownership of the magazine and won, its his to do as he pleases with it and shut it down. It'll never happen though in a million years.

Watching the litigation unfold on this will be interesting though.
The British royal family is always embroiled in some paparazzi drama. Their reaction/outrage is plebeian. I find it interesting that only British royal ladies are caught in these awkward situations. There are no indecent photos of Crown Princess Letizia of Spain or Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium.

It's great that everyone on here is sharing their opinons and peacfully.

The British royal family is always embroiled in some paparazzi drama. Their reaction/outrage is plebeian. I find it interesting that only British royal ladies are caught in these awkward situations. There are no indecent photos of Crown Princess Letizia of Spain or Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium.

I think that's because the British Royals are the most reconized and the most watched in the media.

The pictures of the Duke & Duchess should've never been taken in the first place. They were busy enjoying some private down time on private property.

As I said before, I really admire how William & Catherine are handling this situation. The media is all over this and the royal couple are carrying out their duties on behalf of the Queen with so much dignity and grace.

Last edited by a moderator:

First it was sunbathing that was 'plebeian' and now expressing dismay at being the victim of criminal acts is also 'plebeian'. Is there anything else you'd like to label 'plebeian' while you've got our attention?

And they say the British are obsessed with class :rolleyes:.

LOL, sunbathing topless is hardly indescent, or plebeian for that matter. Nor is being angry at having your privacy violated and taking action against such violations.

BTW who in the 21st century even thinks in terms of "plebeians" any more.

Last edited:

With all due respect, and for whatever reason, the economies, cachet of royalties, world governance participation, wealth, history, etc. of many monarchies do not stand shoulder to shoulder with the British Royal Family. I love me the royals all over the world, but the bulls-eye on the Brits is larger than any other country's.

We are captivated by the leadership of countries. We pick on the monarch, the president, the prime minister of this place or that relative to their power, their influence or their SHINE in the public eye. We also pick on their consorts and children, associated peeps and family.

You imply that the Brit royal females are the cause of the ruckus. That only Brit royals get caught in awkward situations. I would suggest that you look closed at people (MEN AND WOMEN) under similar scrutiny and draw some additional conclusion. Respectfully.

There are pictures of Letizia sunbathing topless, along with Caroline and Charlotte. There also pictures of Frederik naked. I really don't get Al_bina point other than to say victims are "plebians"

First it was sunbathing that was 'plebeian' and now expressing dismay at being the victim of criminal acts is also 'plebeian'. Is there anything else you'd like to label 'plebeian' while you've got our attention?

And they say the British are obsessed with class :rolleyes:.

AGREED! I'm a plebeian and darn proud of it. Go back far enough in any family and you find plebeians. I loath this sort of false-righteous name calling. It is beneath the expected behavior in these forums.

The British royal family is always embroiled in some paparazzi drama. Their reaction/outrage is plebeian.

To paraphrase a line from one of my favorite movies, "The Princess Bride":

"I don't think this word means what you think it means."

If a photographer had gotten pictures of some random couple and published those photos in magazines or on the internet, they'd be arrested for spying and violating privacy. So why is it acceptable when the people involved are famous? Does this mean they shouldn't step out the front door anymore? Not to mention the fact that they aren't actors or musicians who chose this life...William was born into it and can't get out of it. So please, those of you who seem to think William and Kate don't deserve time alone and out of the public eye, what should they do instead? I seriously want to know.

Well ,Plebian is a great word and a few posters now know it's definition.
Of course the royals have all been embroiled in sex scandals, just look at thepresent Kings of Sweden and Belguim.
However, this issue has nothing to do with sex or nudity, it has to do with money, imo.
Which images, whether it's William peeing,Harry's full monty, Diana's nude pregnant belly or Catherine's naked body will bring in the money that the public will pay for. And, unfortunately it's a mostly female audience that's interested for some reason.

German media reports that the French mag which printed the pics threatens to publish "sex pics" of them if they don't give up sueing them for the publication of the other pics.

I sure hope that if this is true that somewhere it is captured in bold black and white hard copy. Add extortion and blackmail to the list of charges. This is really starting to turn vile.

I have a right to express my opinion using a word/words I like. At the same time, the TRF members have a right to disagree with me. If my word/words goes/go against TRF rules, moderators will modify or delete my posts.
It is entertaining to read ardent empty speeches.

Last edited:
Of course you have that right, its just that the words you chose make you sound as if you have read too many Victorian novels, Trollope perhaps, and live in a long gone era.

Just because William and Catherine are royals does not mean that it is "open season" on them by the press every time they step out of their home. They are human beings and do have a need for privacy. It is wrong for the paparazzi predators to stalk them as if they were prey. The press bully William and Catherine by publishing photos taken at a private estate, then taunt them with talk of more revealing photos. This is rude.

For anyone concerned about privacy. Check out your own back-yard in Google Earth. You may even be in the picture.

I have checked the front of my house and a) I would not be sunbathing topless, b) the google van could not gain access to our back garden :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, it is wrong that people can make money on such sneaky photos of the Duchess of Cambridge.

I absolutely and wholeheartedly support the action being taken against publication of these photos. Anyone with HALF a brain SHOULD be able to understand that it is 100% UNACCEPTABLE to have such photos of taken of them without their express consent then published for the purpose of humiliating them and for monetary gain.

Am I to understand that some posters on here will be happy for me to stalk them the rest of their lives and take photos of them half naked from a position outside their house, then post them here on TRF for all to see?? Cos all I have to say is that I'm a paparazzi photographer and you can't touch me! I HAD expected better of some people!

I know the Cambridges and royals are glad the pics are not splashed all over the net. You can't even find them and that's how it should stay.

I have checked the front of my house and a) I would not be sunbathing topless, b) the google van could not gain access to our back garden :ROFLMAO:

No van needed. All the imagery provided by Google Earth is provided by satellite. Technology now is such that a satellite can pick up numbers on a license plate if needed.

Back
Top Bottom