Catherine & William: 'Closer' Magazine and Breach of Privacy - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my goodness, I have just read about the photographs and the lawsuit. I saw a picture of how far away the photographer was to get the images of the couple. He was well over a MILE away, probably even more. That is ridiculous and such an invasion of privacy. William and Catherine had probably thought going to Viscount Linley's Chateau, they would avoid press intrusion as it is very secluded. They are right to sue the newspaper. With Harry's image it was one of his so called friends who obviously gave the image to the press, whereas William and Catherine had no idea they were being photographed. I am sure other family members have gone to stay there, it's just a shame that the Cambridge couple attract so much publicity that they cannot seem to escape it anywhere.

The images show a couple doing the natural things one does on holiday when alone, I cannot believe paparazzi's felt it was appropriate to photograph such intimate moments. I am fully aware that we are in a "celebrity obsessed" world and the Royal family are celebrities in their own right, and should no doubt expect to be photographed all the time. This, however, is on another level as the photographer was so far away from them and had to use a LONG lens to capture the scenes. Madness!

Before they married, I had my doubts about Katherine. I've warmed to her since the wedding but in all of this, the dignity of the Duchess shines through. Look at her today - doing her duty, meeting people, promoting good causes. She's worth a million of that photographer and I couldn't more proud to have her as part of our Royal Family.

I agree entirely, BeatrixFan. If anything, I thought Kate was dealing with it better than William was. I suppose that's fair enough given what he saw happen with his mother and paparazzi in France.

I somehow doubt that William and Kate will ever holiday in France again.

According to the French Law, the magazine, the editor and the photographer can endure one year in prison and a fine of aproximately 50 000 euros.

Last week, French First Lady Valerie Trierweiler won a judgment of 2,000 euros after the publication of photos of her in a bikini. If the French First Lady can win a suit for being photographed in a bikini I have no doubt the Cambridges can win their suit, and likely something close to the maximum.
Surely the French remember that Williams mother died on their territory while being chased by paparazzi.

EIIR said:
I agree entirely, BeatrixFan. If anything, I thought Kate was dealing with it better than William was. I suppose that's fair enough given what he saw happen with his mother and paparazzi in France.

Yes I was very, very impressed with Kate's composure. If anything, she seemed to be the one emotionally supporting him and assuring him that she could deal with this.

I've always liked her, but this has convinced me she must be a very strong person.

Unfortunately, even a fine of the maximum €50,000 is nowhere near enough of a deterrent for unscrupulous paps and gossips mag editors. At 11am this morning a photographer on Sky News said 'Princess Kate naked' had been googled over 6 million times (who knows how many times it's been googled by now). Closer will make a bucket load of money out of this, €50k is well worth it.

What needs to happen is much bigger fines, a realistic risk of jail sentences for the paps and the editors, or even closure of the title entirely. Until that happens, the deterrent just isn't there.

Last edited:
People who really deserve to be punished don't get strict enough deterrents, any 'real' deterrent for invasion of privacy just isn't going to appear and shouldn't unless other matters get fixed first. I don't see why a magazine should be closed down cause it printed some pictures. If they appeared online first, should the Internet be shut down?

It's one naked royal after another these days, who's next? Beatrice?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, even a fine of the maximum €50,000 is nowhere near enough of a deterrent for unscrupulous paps and gossips mag editors. At 11am this morning a photographer on Sky News said 'Princess Kate naked' had been googled over 6 million times (who knows how many times it's been googled by now). Closer will make a bucket load of money out of this, €50k is well worth it.

What needs to happen is much bigger fines, a realistic risk of jail sentences for the paps and the editors, or even closure of the title entirely. Until that happens, the deterrent just isn't there.

I agree. The maximum should be some multiple of the amount the photographer was paid and a multiple of the amount the magazine earned in addition to a real risk of imprisonment for trespassing and violations of privacy for both the photographer and the publisher and editor of the magazine. This case will do doubt provide fuel to existing efforts to increase penalties and fines.

Surely the French remember that Williams mother died on their territory while being chased by paparazzi.

Indeed ,according to some lawyers it could be seen as a precedent and the judgment be particulary severe (hope so).

I really hope not !

How did anybody find out they were there in the first place? That's what I'd be wondering if I were W&K....there seems to have a been a breach of confidence somewhere along the way, or the paparazzi would have never known in the first place. Given the distance from the road shown in a prior post, I, too, would have expected complete privacy. What a low blow, especially on an official tour!

ETA: The Linleys must be terribly upset, too, for what it's worth.

I find it interesting that the official statement from St. James' Palace, which was apparently written with input from William and Catherine, (as per The Telegraph), mentions William's mother. Diana's name obviously isn't brought up casually in the public life of the British royal family, and William, especially, seems to keep her memory private. Diana being mentioned indicates to me a depth of emotion we don't usually get with these statements. I don't think William would have allowed a reference to Diana to be included if this were just one of the many more routine intrusions he's had to deal with.

^^Only one person has to notice and can tweet it, use Facebook or even call a pap agency. Social media is super quick now.

According to the French Law, the magazine, the editor and the photographer can endure one year in prison and a fine of aproximately 50 000 euros.

Thanks for the info!

50000 euros isn't going to act as a deterrent to the press that publishes these pictures, IMO. I imagine they see these sorts of fines as an acceptable cost of doing business.

The world is the way it is. Yes, the photographer was wrong and invaded their privacy.
But when you are a public person, you don't have any privacy. Fergie and Prince Harry both had a right to expect privacy too....but they didn't get it. If Kate didn't want pictures like this published, then she should have kept her clothes on when she was outside. She really has no one to blame but herself.

Apparently, this magazine is saying they have more explicit photos where she has completed removing her bathing costume for an all-over tan. (Which they have decided NOT to publish).

All I can say IS she is either very brave or very stupid to sit outside completely naked! (If true)? Private holiday or not!

The world is the way it is. Yes, the photographer was wrong and invaded their privacy.
But when you are a public person, you don't have any privacy. Fergie and Prince Harry both had a right to expect privacy too....but they didn't get it. If Kate didn't want pictures like this published, then she should have kept her clothes on when she was outside. She really has no one to blame but herself.

I suppose you would blame a rape victim stating she shouldn't have worn the short skirt top, too. :bang:

kakieanne said:

This sentiment is so foul to me. I can't begin to imagine how little empathy someone has to have to read the situation this way.

I do think some of these comments are akin to blaming a rape victim for wearing a short skirt. There are dangerous people out there so she should have worn pants.
One thing I hate to think about is how PISSED William is.

Last week, French First Lady Valerie Trierweiler won a judgment of 2,000 euros after the publication of photos of her in a bikini. If the French First Lady can win a suit for being photographed in a bikini I have no doubt the Cambridges can win their suit, and likely something close to the maximum.

Only 2,000 euros, that like lunch money to them. That some BS right there, so much for strict privacy laws in France

French pubs are sued constantly because of the laws there and penalties are never dramatic. Charlotte Casiraghi sued simply because she was photo'd walking out of her boyfriend's apartment.

This is all part of a larger problem that has more to do with a lack of boundaries in a new age of technology. What can be done? Not much, really, and I guess the palace will have to navigate around that. Celebrities live for the attention and obviously royals don't want to be celebrities...well, most of them anyway.

I do think some of these comments are akin to blaming a rape victim for wearing a short skirt. There are dangerous people out there so she should have worn pants.
One thing I hate to think about is how PISSED William is.
Is this for real? :ermm:

I think the 1 yr in jail is the ticket. the money is an arbitrary amount that the business is paying. But if there is a possibility of personal imprisonment - each individual will have to make a decision as to whether they will participate - not this insulting cavalier attitude.... 'oh she's splendid' 'she should be proud of how normal she is" "our 21st century princess" . The editor who made the call to run these pictures needs to go to jail for 1 yr. that would curb a whole lot of this invasion of privacy.

This sentiment is so foul to me. I can't begin to imagine how little empathy someone has to have to read the situation this way.
I know right. I watched Bondi Rescue season 1 a few months ago and there were a few girls sunbathing topless. I guess these girls also had no one but themselves to blame?

That makes me rage for days. It's such an effed up standard and also a dangerous message to send young girls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only 2,000 euros, that like lunch money to them. That some BS right there, so much for strict privacy laws in France

The sum was relatively small because the French first lady sued a magazine for publishing bikini photos but at the same time authorized the same photos to be published in another magazine where she is journalist.

How exactly could she have done more? She was in a relatively remote region of France, at a family member's home, in front of only her husband.

The Linleys did close access to all but a title page for the Chateau D'Autet. It's likely they and all kinds of guests have sunned by the pool in various degrees of dress in the past. But they and other guests do not carry the huge pap photo bounty on their heads that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge do.

The pool faces the road - time to erect a privacy screen, which is a sad commentary on prurient interest of the public.

I've never understood the silly interest in naked breasts in any case - even if they are the future queen's. At my university, in the woman's athletic building there was a high walled patio off the lap pool where one could sunbathe topless. Undergrads, faculty and admin alike would gather as the days warmed in spring and sun themselves like turtles on a warm road. This was in Michigan in the US which has really harsh winters and so to be able to do this felt exquisite.

Occasionally some male idiot would scale the high walls to peep at the exposed flesh. From 17-70 we all in unison booed and threw things at these silly intruders who quickly beat a retreat. As the Irish say "eegits!"

I think and hope Catherine has a sound enough body image to weather this. She certainly did a great job of that today. Well done Kate!:flowers:

Honestly there is nothing better than blaming the victim is there?

You can't sit there at your computer and honestly type this and think it is ok can you? Because when I read this it's more than just Catherine should of known better, I read that all women should know better and that women have no one to blame for their victimization than themselves.

Rage doesn't even cover it and yes it sends a wrong message to girls.

The Linleys did close access to all but a title page for the Chateau D'Autet.
...plus the links to other luxury vacation sites which promoted the property as a holiday destination.
It's a bit like installing an alarm system in a mansion after it has been robbed due to having only ordinary locks.
The English press had reported the destination of the Cambridges and the online advertising of the Chateau d'Autet provided an opportunity to check out how to access it best.
I'm surprised that security staff did not object here in the first place, and also that online pages have been erased now - after the fact, but before an impending lawsuit which might perhaps have to consider how easily available public information about the property was.

more worrying, there was no security that could have prevented this and this means they are not sufficiently protected against violence.

I find the compusure of Kate no big deal, it is the least she can do.

I know, I will never understand the blame the victim mentality that some people find so easy to use.

Look to me that the chateau had a high wall protecting the property and the pool was not facing the road since the road was .5 miles away according to news report (CBS).

And just no to the victim blaming

Honestly there is nothing better than blaming the victim is there?

You can't sit there at your computer and honestly type this and think it is ok can you? Because when I read this it's more than just Catherine should of known better, I read that all women should know better and that women have no one to blame for their victimization than themselves.

Rage doesn't even cover it and yes it sends a wrong message to girls.
Sadly, a lot of women suffer from the Holier-Than-Thou attitude.

Back
Top Bottom