Catherine & William: 'Closer' Magazine and Breach of Privacy - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sophie was taken in pic BEFORE being
Diana was not taken topless

Diana was photographed topless in a hotel in southern Spain (an area full of paparazzi)... but Hola magazine bought the photos and retired them, favor that was returned later with interviews and photos.

Lumutqueen said:
I can understand the privacy issues and the photographer and publisher has gone way out of line. But even on a private estate why would you go around topless when you know paps will be anywhere they can be to get pictures. Look at the honeymoon pictures we got?
If it was to get an even tan, she shouldn't. I'm not saying she's in the wrong I just don't understand why anyone would go topless.

Because sometimes it's really nice and freeing to do so? I'm American, and I still prefer to sunbathe topless when I'm in the privacy of my own backyard, which has high privacy fencing and can't be seen into unless someone were to climb over the wall and completely trespass.

Asking why she chose to do this and acting like she's done something wrong is complete victim blaming. She was on a totally private estate, alone with her husband.

How exactly could she have done more? She was in a relatively remote region of France, at a family member's home, in front of only her husband.

The ones that ought to be held responsible are te publishers of this garbage. I usually come down hard on people for not showing common sense, but it's hard for me to see how Catherine could have done anything else to protect her privacy.
Totally agree. I too, usually are pretty harsh on those that do not exhibit common sense, but in this situation, I can not fault Catherine or William. I feel sad and angry for them. They are a newly married couple on a break before a jam packed tour, they were letting their hair down and relaxing. And secretly I applaude Kate for taking her top off, nothing bugs me more than bikini top tan lines!

I'm a little confused as to exactly what Catherine could have done to have prevented a perverted stalker creeping about the place from taking photographs of her.

In France, a man (in this case one with a camera) may creep about unseen in the countryside stalking women with the hope of finding them scantily clad in order to take photgraphs of them...(one could conceivably imagine than the same man might very well be the type (or similar to the type) who hide in sand dunes at the beach talking photos of children or young girls).

Not only in France. Don't forget the so called William's "peeing picture" taken in UK some years ago. But i agree there's something plainly pervert about the whole concept of these king of pictures.

Diana was photographed topless in a hotel in southern Spain (an area full of paparazzi)... but Hola magazine bought the photos and retired them, favor that was returned later with interviews and photos.

Wish someone could have done that for William and Catherine.

I'am not blaming Kate but she must be more careful because you can never be too careful about these things...it's her privacy of course, but has Duchess of Cambrige such things are forbidden...that is the only way to avoid, the paparazzi will chaise her all the time...with or without clothes, for the rest of her life, so she has to be mucht more careful and I'AM not blamming her but...she could avoid it...she is not a normal person...

Absolutely. When you enter into royalty, you know taht you have to be more carefull, and you know that papz are everywhere and omnipotents. Money attraction is soo strong that they do everything to have it. I read that these topless oics have been negociated 0.5 - 1 million of euros!! Imagine for the guy he took them. With such money, you can almost retire... you do not care about legal actions, how severe could them be, comparable to 0.5 million??? There is no way to stop this. Even if not published in France these pics would be sold in Germany or Italy, where they have not such strict laws, but in any case these pics worth for gold!!
Of course, as often said, IF nobody buys the magazine, then, papz will stop, but who really believes that nobody will buy?? People is fed from such publications...
So the only way to avoid, is TO BE CAREFULL.

I hope the magazine gets sued and the photographer prosecuted. The next few days would be so hard for the very private Will and kate.

How exactly could she have done more? She was in a relatively remote region of France, at a family member's home, in front of only her husband.

The ones that ought to be held responsible are te publishers of this garbage. I usually come down hard on people for not showing common sense, but it's hard for me to see how Catherine could have done anything else to protect her privacy.

While the Linley family call this their vacation home - they also rent it out as a holiday villa. It has its own website where amenities are explained and one can "book" dates of stay.

There is another ethical question here. How many of us believe in their right to privacy, believe that paps are creeps, think the mag is a rag - but still went and looked at the photos? Ethically, by looking at the photos, I endorsed the invasion of their privacy. I'm not proud of that, but it is true.

Last edited:
Who is the editor of this vulgar gossip magazine?

To be honest, I really would have hated to be the person that had to break the news of these photos to William. On our CNN, its scrolling that the couple is "saddened" by the photos. I would wager a guess that William is totally livid. He never really did have much love for the press and as protective of Kate he is, I wouldn't blame him if he's out for blood on this one. St. James responded quite quickly too so we know this is no laughing matter.

I do have to give some credit to the British press. As much dirt as they like to push in their rags about "royal scoops", they were on the mark staying very far, far away from these photos. Even they knew that the lines of decency had been crossed and most likely legal action would ensue.

Kate was violated. Pure and simple. I hope they throw the book at this photog and the magazine that would print his pics.

I'm a little confused as to exactly what Catherine could have done to have prevented a perverted stalker creeping about the place from taking photographs of her.
They are being photographed no matter where they are, including a secluded beach walking their puppy. It certainly was naive to think they would not be under surveillance when it was known that they were spending time at the villa. Their thinking should have been ..."of course there will be some creepy person around here somewhere". For them to think that they will not be hounded when outside of the royals very personal space and security was naive. It does not make the photos right but the reality does not always follow right or wrong.

Of course the British tabloids and mags won't publish the pics.
They will publish pics of the magazine showing the pics.
The photo agencies are already packed with pictures of people looking at the mag's cover, holding the mag in their hands, buying it - all for the purpose of showing these pics without publishing them and without having paid for them. Nothing but pure hypocrisy.
They are being photographed no matter where they are, including a secluded beach walking their puppy. It certainly was naive to think they would not be under surveillance when it was known that they were spending time at the villa. Their thinking should have been ..."of course there will be some creepy person around here somewhere". For them to think that they will not be hounded when outside of the royals very personal space and security was naive. It does not make the photos right but the reality does not always follow right or wrong.
Very true.
They don't even need to look at Princess Diana's example, they could have learned from The Duchess of York's topless photos more than twenty years ago and comparable photos of Princess Margaret back in the 1970s.
It's nothing new that the Windsors can expect privacy only within their own four walls, and that's a reality they have to live with.

Last edited:
The Sun's editor said they won't publish any photos, ""The Sun has no intention of...publishing these intrusive pictures. The circumstances are very different to...Harry".

Perfectly well said!!

Of course the British tabloids and mags won't publish the pics.
They will publish pics of the magazine showing the pics.
The photo agencies are already packed with pictures of people looking at the mag's cover, holding the mag in their hands, buying it - all for the purpose of showing these pics without publishing them and without having paid for them. Nothing but pure hypocrisy.

If you do a google actuality reserch for the DoC you will find many very clear pics of the cover. I found already some of the inside pics, and the whole pics will follow soon. Even if official news sites do not published, bloggers will do it!!!!
OK, nothing to do, It's DONE...
IMO they should do nothing, just ignore, and be more carefull in the future...
They are a beautiful, young and in love couple, they are doing a perfect job and we all love then. FULL STOP.

Last edited:
"They should not feel safe around their personal surrounding" How sad is that and how sad that people think this is okay

miche said:
"They should not feel safe around their personal surrounding" How sad is that and how sad that people think this is okay

Totally agree. Its very sad

peanutbutterfly said:
Totally agree. Its very sad

Yup. And so is the idea that if they even for one minute let themselves relax and feel safe, and a photographer takes advantage of it, than they're somehow partially to blame.

I feel very sad for Kate right now.

Absolutely. When you enter into royalty, you know taht you have to be more carefull, and you know that papz are everywhere and omnipotents. Money attraction is soo strong that they do everything to have it. I read that these topless oics have been negociated 0.5 - 1 million of euros!! Imagine for the guy he took them. With such money, you can almost retire... you do not care about legal actions, how severe could them be, comparable to 0.5 million??? There is no way to stop this. Even if not published in France these pics would be sold in Germany or Italy, where they have not such strict laws, but in any case these pics worth for gold!!
Of course, as often said, IF nobody buys the magazine, then, papz will stop, but who really believes that nobody will buy?? People is fed from such publications...
So the only way to avoid, is TO BE CAREFULL.

By saying that Kate needs to be more careful you are condoning what this photographer did. She is not in a hotel topless beside it's pool, she is not on a beach lying topless on her beach towel, she is not even on boat out at sea lying topless on deck - she is in a private house, by it's private pool. The fact that people like you will have a 'blame the victim' reaction, which is what you're doing with a comment like that, is why photographs like this are still being taken. With your comment you are saying that it is ok for this man to hid and use a long range lensed to spy and photograph Kate like this, you are blaming Kate for this mans disgusting actions. :bang:

By saying that Kate needs to be more careful you are condoning what this photographer did. She is not in a hotel topless beside it's pool, she is not on a beach lying topless on her beach towel, she is not even on boat out at sea lying topless on deck - she is in a private house, by it's private pool. The fact that people like you will have a 'blame the victim' reaction, which is what you're doing with a comment like that, is why photographs like this are still being taken. With your comment you are saying that it is ok for this man to hid and use a long range lensed to spy and photograph Kate like this, you are blaming Kate for this mans disgusting actions. :bang:

MY GOD NO!!!
It is like the story of the theive! If you let the door of your house wide open, it will always be someone who will entry and steal you. Of course it is disgusting what he is done, of course he went into your private area, of course it is illegal, but world is full of thieves!! To be protected, JUST CLOSE YOUR DOOR!!

fandesacs2003 said:
MY GOD NO!!!
It is like the story of the theive! If you let the door of your house wide open, it will always be someone who will entry and steal you. Of course it is disgusting what he is done, of course he went into your private area, of course it is illegal, but world is full of thieves!! To be protected, JUST CLOSE YOUR DOOR!!

Except this is about more than taking simple precautions. This is about the fact that photographers treat them like prey. They were in a private house, surrounded by 650 acres of private land, on an unannounced holiday and with a security team in place. They did everything right.

In this situation, William and Kate did everything right, and a photographer still bypassed all of their precautions. The blame lie solely with the photographer and magazine editor.

she definitely should have kept her top on, they both created an opportunity for the paperazzi which does not make them victims but just plain stupid.

I can understand the privacy issues and the photographer and publisher has gone way out of line. But even on a private estate why would you go around topless when you know paps will be anywhere they can be to get pictures. Look at the honeymoon pictures we got?
If it was to get an even tan, she shouldn't. I'm not saying she's in the wrong I just don't understand why anyone would go topless.

Very true, and yet...it's only to be expected!

These days there is little privacy for anyone; for William and Kate, the only place they can truly be private is behind palace walls, and they must keep that in mind.

It's happened before to so many others: Harry, Charles, Diana, Fergie...
it's not their fault but they need to be aware.

Even after the most unpleasant and evil incidents, one could draw some good conclusions.
In this case it was nothing to make fuss about:
-they are husband and wife;
-Kate is a natural beauty ( not a silicone artificial, like many Hollywood stars) and she could be example of remaining this way for younger girls.
Besides all, I think the paparazzi hoped for different kind of photos, I guess nothing stops them from doing this unless people refuse to buy the gossip papers.

Do you know how many normal women this happens to every year??? Some person takes private pictures of them unknown to them and it ends up on the internet!! This is sick and a huge violation. Its not about being famous. They didnt invite this sicko over for lunch. They were spied upon. From miles away. How any of you could blame her is beyond me. But we're women why should I expect better.

Back
Top Bottom