Catherine & William: 'Closer' Magazine and Breach of Privacy - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lesson learned?

Frankly I doubt it. Remember the picture of the two walking on the beach during their honeymoon on some remote island? Photographers are everywhere and there is always someone willing to publish their shots. They should have known it ...:flowers:

Well the only solution to that way of thinking is for them to build a bunker inside their cottage in Wales and never leave.

*sigh*

The more I read the more I realize the problem is out here, in the world, where we seem to have forgotten the big lessons.

Flashback to 1890ish:

A woman walks into a House of Parliament and is promptly kicked out, carried out by two men when she wouldn't leave. The men sit around and say "can you believe the nerve?" and the women sit around saying "what did she expect? I hope she learned her lesson!"

Yes folks, the changes needed are almost always triggered by the populace - usually when a large enough portion of them have had enough. Sounds to me like we're still pretty far from progress.

Extreme example? No, I don't think so. It happens to have a gender basis, but that's only because I deemed it the most identifiable example. Might as well have been a black man going into a white man's barber shop and getting his head shaved as a lesson for his affront and the men talking later how he deserved what he got for his nerve.

Bah.

Why are people talking about them learning a lesson? Why are we not talking about teaching the perps a lesson? Would you say to your child, who has come home with a bloody nose, given to him by Stevie the Bully, "Well, what were you doing where Stevie could see you? I hope you learned your lesson and will stay hidden from now on!" I hope not. I really, really hope not.

Last edited:
*sigh*

The more I read the more I realize the problem is out here, in the world, where we seem to have forgotten the big lessons.

Flashback to 1890ish:

A woman walks into a House of Parliament and is promptly kicked out, carried out by two men when she wouldn't leave. The men sit around and say "can you believe the nerve?" and the women sit around saying "what did she expect? I hope she learned her lesson!"

Yes folks, the changes needed are almost always triggered by the populace - usually when a large enough portion of them have had enough. Sounds to me like we're still pretty far from progress.

Extreme example? No, I don't think so. It happens to have a gender basis, but that's only because I deemed it the most identifiable example. Might as well have been a black man going into a white man's barber shop and getting his head shaved as a lesson for his affront and the men talking later how he deserved what he got for his nerve.

Bah.

Why are people talking about them learning a lesson? Why are we not talking about teaching the perps a lesson? Would you say to your child, who has come home with a bloody nose, given to him by Stevie the Bully, "Well, what were you doing where Stevie could see you? I hope you learned your lesson and will stay hidden from now on!" I hope not. I really, really hope not.

I totally agree with you. I do find it a sad commentary on society that people think that "well the problem will never go away so best you stay in hiding and do not attempt to fight back even to make a point that your legal rights were violated." There seems to be a feeling that as soon as you become a public personality you give up all rights to privacy in all circumstances and unless you have hidden yourself behind closed doors with all the windows shuttered the public has the right to see and know everything you do. We live in an age where even the general public willingly post intimate pictures of their lives on facebook, updating the world on their dating lives and twitter about what they did today and what they ate and when they went to the bathroom. I guess in a society where people are so willing to give up their own privacy it seems normal and acceptable to them to be able to violate someone elses privacy.

Last edited:
I guess in a society where people are so willing to give up their own privacy it seems normal and acceptable to them to be able to violate someone elses privacy.

Bingo.

I am constantly appalled at some of the things I see on Facebook.

It reminds me of some sort of mass hysteria.

And I think you are *exactly* right. EXACTLY. Well put.

IMO, just a hired mouthpiece trying to protect the 'rights' of the gutter press.

"quit while you're ahead and don't try and limit the 'free press'." Give me a break for crying out loud

Yeah, I got about a third of the way into that and stopped ... blah blah blah.

What was that famous saying (no recall of who said it) ... something like "The public interest is not the same as what interests the public."

Kate's topless pictures prove we need to start respecting privacy - Comment - Voices - The Independent Quote: Of course it’s a matter of supply meeting demand. There seems to be an insatiable desire for celebrity images, and the more humiliating the better. But morally, because demand is there, does that validate the supply? I think a re-evaluation into the realms of what we find acceptable is needed when it comes to prying unabated, before it’s a case of vultures feeding on other people’s shame. There should be no justification for selling images of someone else’s intimate moments without permission.

Talking of mass hysteria!! god, she has some delusional fans out there. As if she were that important and had done something great for humanity. Some poeple need to get a life!

Whoa.

OR. People are so outraged over the principle.

And she is that important. To me, anyway. See, she's going to be the Queen Consort of my country some day and I would prefer, demand even, that people not disrespect her.

Talking of mass hysteria!! god, she has some delusional fans out there. As if she were that important and had done something great for humanity. Some poeple need to get a life!

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are important people.

Last edited:
See, she's going to be the Queen Consort of my country some day and I would prefer, demand even, that people not disrespect her.

Well said! We Canadians are very protective of our Royal Family

:previous: Yes, I remember a large fuss being made over a reporter who quoted remarks that the Princess of Wales made during her and the Prince's tour of the Maritimes in 1983. If they want to find somewhere truly remote, they should vacation in some parts of Canada.:flowers:

:previous: Yes, I remember a large fuss being made over a reporter who quoted remarks that the Princess of Wales made during her and the Prince's tour of the Maritimes in 1983. If they want to find somewhere truly remote, they should vacation in some parts of Canada.:flowers:

Its been done. Galen and Hilary Weston gave Charles the use of their chalet at Whistler for a private ski trip with the boys. Andrew has enjoyed private wilderness trips with friends from Lakefield.

I am not sure the privacy would be respected though if it was William and Catherine and it became known they were in the country on holiday. Given the white hot glare that is on them these days I think the temptation would be too great for a pap not to follow them or for a local to not snap pics and sell them. Maybe in 10-15 years if the attention dies down they might get away with it.

It all comes back to what local people are willing to do to protect their Royal Family. If people in the area kept things quiet and refused to take payment for information about the Royal Couple's whereabouts, it could be done. It all comes down to the almighty dollar, doesn't it? People accept money for giving details about private visits, and the paps get paid for getting pictures. The media outlets get paid when people buy the magazines. As another posted pointed out, a lot of us have become used to being shocked because of what tabloids will show and also because of people exposing themselves on social sites. Shock wears off. The ante keeps rising. In a way, I think that people have become addicted to the private lives of celebrities--and to knowing all about everyone's private life by extension. Once it was neighbourhood and family gossip about people we knew privately that kept previous generations entertained. Now the world is like one gigantic coffee klatch of gossiping.

Its been done. Galen and Hilary Weston gave Charles the use of their chalet at Whistler for a private ski trip with the boys. Andrew has enjoyed private wilderness trips with friends from Lakefield.

I am not sure the privacy would be respected though if it was William and Catherine and it became known they were in the country on holiday.

This may have already been discussed, although I have not seen it, but does anyone wonder how the Queen feels about the situation? It has crossed my mind to wonder if she feels Kate should have not been topless to begin with and bears some of the blame, or if she feels that Kate's privacy was violated and she bears none of the blame. I would just be interested to know. I know there is no way of knowing for sure without asking her, but I wonder what could be deduced about the Queen's feelings given what is known about her response to past situations.

This may have already been discussed, although I have not seen it, but does anyone wonder how the Queen feels about the situation? It has crossed my mind to wonder if she feels Kate should have not been topless to begin with and bears some of the blame, or if she feels that Kate's privacy was violated and she bears none of the blame. I would just be interested to know. I know there is no way of knowing for sure without asking her, but I wonder what could be deduced about the Queen's feelings given what is known about her response to past situations.

I personally can't imagine why HM would be upset at all with Catherine or William.
If the photos were taken on a public beach somewhere maybe, but the fact that this disgusting peeping-tom stalked them on a large private estate belonging to HM's nephew, the Queen fully supports the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and has nothing but outrage for the gross violation of their privacy.

Sucks about Harry but ... I have limited sympathy. You invite a bunch of unknowns into your room and play strip billiards while getting intoxicated ... one of them leaking a cell phone shot to the media is not entirely .... shocking. Wrong, but not shocking. No paparazzi, no one hiding in the bushes ... just Harry, drunk, naked and showing poor judgement... another day at the palace :)

It is a WORLD away from what happened to Catherine. She had every reasonable expectation of privacy and she was stalked for profit.

One is dumb, one is criminal. Apples and elephants.

Not sure if this was posted...
Based the latest poll , though, at least one in five Britons were quick to scour the web for those very images that no UK paper would dare touch. (Undoubtedly, the interest in the photos was purely scientific.)
The results of the YouGov poll of 1,600 UK residents, published in the Sun paper in London, revealed that a huge majority of Britons (72 per cent) backed Will and Kate's decision to sue Closer magazine over the photos taken at a private chateau in France.
On the other hand, natural curiousity has a pretty strong pull in cases like this ... the forbidden fruit, so to speak.
The pull is especially strong among the young in Britain. Almost half (47 per cent) of those 18-24 years old found the images online, and most of those were men (surprise!). Among 25-39-year-olds, that number was 32 per cent. The older the resident, the less likely they were to bother looking.
The Royals Watch
Curiosity killed the cat, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
If little were made of this, it would have died. Actually, I think, more has been made of this here, than anywhere else. No one is killing themselves for copies of this crap. One topless woman among many. I thougt you, Europeans were so open minded and we Americans were such Puritans.

OK, I would love to be a fly on the wall when something similar is done to a royal woman that you admire and respect. Bet your tune would be different then. Frankly, I'm glad there are people out there who support Catherine and are outraged by what was done to her. You think that she's done nothing great for humanity? And what exactly have YOU done that's so helpful to make such assumptions? Take a look at the faces of the people who meet her (especially the children), and you'll see that quite the opposite is true. In all reality, I would be outraged if something like this was done to ANY female, royal, famous, or not, because it's disgusting and outrageous. You appear to enjoy watching some get humiliated, and that's rather low.

Last edited:
OK, I would love to be a fly on the wall when something similar is done to a royal woman that you admire and respect. Bet your tune would be different then. .
I think you will find that the only person who fits that bill is a certain young lady from Argentina who married a certain Dutch prince.

I think you will find that the only person who fits that bill is a certain young lady from Argentina who married a certain Dutch prince.

I think you're right, but I didn't want to make assumptions.

I wonder if this is giving Kate a secret ego boost? I know it would me watching everyone go crazy over my naked chest. ;)

Two thumbs up for Daria_S and NGalitzine !!:mountie: :mountie: :wave:

Last edited:
Im´quite fed up with your assumption of my admiration for Princess Maxima, even if it were true, it has nothing to do here. Please take the trouble of revising my posts and check that I haven´t commented in the Dutch forum for almost a year.

OK, I would love to be a fly on the wall when something similar is done to a royal woman that you admire and respect. Bet your tune would be different then...
The only forum I usually comment is the Monaco, and not exactly because I admire of respect anyone there, but out of curiosity. My admitration and respect go for other people who deserve praise for their hark work and achievements in life. Caroline has made the same silly mistake of sunbathing topless. Did she care? I don´t think so, why should I? On the other hand, William and Kate seem to take the matter more seriously than it is, why? because they think they are untouchable? What do they think? that they can sunbathe naked in front of a road and no one will dare take a picture because they are what they are? It looks like the press is not afraid of them. They are publishing anyway, so William can go on with the suing, he´s only making things worse.

I don´t know if I understand your point, are you glad because some journalists are being threatened because Kate does not still get what her position in life is and continues to behave like a trashy celebrity? That is some way of showing support!!

As some are comparing to Harry, at least he was naive, and believed on strangers who were in his room, but he was not showing his jewels on a balcony so that anyone with a lense could photograph him naked. He was betrayed! I thought he was very stupid when it happened, but he was most probably drunk and knew he was going to war!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not commented on this situation so far but want to make one point. Neither William or Catherine are celebrities, and for French or Swedish, Italian or any other publisher to define them as such is an error. Nor do they act or wish to be considered as celebrities. Kardashianes are celebrities, d-z listers are celebrities - chasing publicity to keep themselves in the public eye.

The separation of famous/well known needs to be separated from celebrity.

Back
Top Bottom