Catherine & William: 'Closer' Magazine and Breach of Privacy - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are pictures of Letizia sunbathing topless, along with Caroline and Charlotte

Perhaps my understanding is somewhat stereotyped but I do think toplessness remains more acceptable on the Continent than in Britain, even today, so it would be considered less "scandalous".

I do think some of you are being a bit harsh on TRH. The Duke and Duchess might have looked at the geography of the estate and considered that it was safe. You're not expecting someone to be taking pictures of you from 900 metres away.

And I would lend my voice to those praising them for not wavering in the slightest in their public duties: to look at them you would not know anything was going wrong in their private lives.

You're not expecting someone to be taking pictures of you from 900 metres away.

In their position and all the stories of the past I would expect somebody trying to take pictures from a space satellite.

Seriously, how can you go topless outside unless you dont care or you are arrogant enough to think you can control the press.

Letizia topless : Never saw
Caroline topless : Of course, since her 18y
Charlotte topless : Never saw

About topless. In Continent it is not considered scandalous, and it is not fashionable anymore. Nevetheless, I think it is not considered "correct" for a future Queen. If pics were published of a topless Mary, Maxima, Victoria, or even Mette Maritt, I think the problem would be the same. They are non suitable pics.
Right or wrong, for every people his future Queen should have a certain code of behavior, and Kate has shown that she had it, and these pics are quite "annoying"
I do not think that QEII would ever make this mistake! And do not tell me about her age, because 40 years ago, when topless was extremely fashionable, she could have done, but she did not! (at least she has NOT be caught).

In the end, for Kate, going topless outside your own walls, is beyond naive, thinking that the paps will give her a pass. For most people a royal is a celebrity these days, nothing more.

Yep. I agree.

We've - or at least all of us who are going to make an effort to - all seen Kate's boobs now, and they are just boobs. We've all got them, in one form or another. Thing is, I think the Cambridges should play it down and just let the whole kerfuffle die a natural death, rather than keep breathing life into it by stirring the embers with a law suit, especially with criminal proceedings.

I know William is pissed off with the paps because of what they did to his mother, and I am the first to blame them for flashing those lights into the driver's eyes on the night of the fatal crash, but ranting now will not bring his mother back. He needs to get a grip. And move on.

Yep. I agree.

Thing is, I think the Cambridges should play it down and just let the whole kerfuffle die a natural death, rather than keep breathing life into it by stirring the embers with a law suit, especially with criminal proceedings.

You are right, it will be forgotten, everything is always forgotten, unless the threat of the magazine "CHI" is true. They said that they have more delicate pics than those we saw. I hope that is not true, they do not desserve such a behavior.
Nevertheleess, the magazine has announced 26 pages!!! What could be the interest of 26 pages of a topless woman!! we saw all in two pict!!! More became a waist of paper!!!

A list of some notorious intimate photoshoots, combined with papz' awfull behavior

- Pcs Caroline, topless in abt 1980. Pcs Rainier was furious, but where is the fuss?? She was in a small boat with some friends...
- 1990 - Pcs Caroline crying into the chappel, in Stefano's cuffinn-dead body. AWFULL. Pics have been forbidden in France but published in Germany
- The famous full magazine edition of Eva Tremilla with pics of Daniel Ducruet (then married with Pcs Stephanie) having sex with a strip star outside a villa!!!! These pics resulted to divorce!
- 1980 (?) Romy Scheider's young boy died in bad accident (trying to jump into his granma garden, his has been inpaled by the iron lences of the fence ), and the paparazzo has been introduced into the hospital morgue, dressed like a nurse....
-1997 Pcs Diana dying...

So comparing to THESE behaviors, taking on pics a young couple, is NOTHING!!!

Last edited:
I am late to this, and its sad that their trip is being derailed by topless gate. All this recognition for HM (Jubilee, Olympics) and then the new generation steps in with a different understanding of service & duty.

No matter what legal position there is, how can one be so stupid in Kates position and go topless anywhere. Privacy is a human right but reality is different. Its not rocket science that paparazzi do have long distance lenses and no conscience.

And to pull the Diana card over and over again (forgetting that the Diana - press relationship wasnt so one-sided after all) is just embarrassing.

Well, I guess I would blame William & Catherine for putting themselves in this position if they were on a public beach or on public property but they weren't. They were on private property doing something (which I think they are use to doing when in private and vacationing privately) and their privacy should've been respected. I don't even think William & Catherine would've let their guard down like that if they felt it wasn't in private. So now that their privacy have been violated, I really don't think I could blame them for persuing legal action on the pictures.

I remember when someone stole a camera from Pippa's car that had private vacation pictures of William & Catherine on vacation. The pictures were taken to The Sun and The Sun did the right thing by turning the pics in to the police. I think I remembered that correctly, lol. The paps should know crossing the line would land you in trouble.

The royals should stand up for their rights, despite being public figures. They have a right to their privacy too.

I remember when someone stole a camera from Pippa's car that had private vacation pictures of William & Catherine on vacation. The pictures were taken to The Sun and The Sun did the right thing by turning the pics in to the police. I think I remembered that correctly, lol. The paps should know crossing the line would land you in trouble.

This is a very nice gesture!!
But they did return them also because they were the product of an illegal action-robbery (like a stolen wallet, you have to give it to the police..), or simply because they were not interesting pics, or because the Sun is NOT closer or CHI...

Yep. I agree.

We've - or at least all of us who are going to make an effort to - all seen Kate's boobs now, and they are just boobs. We've all got them, in one form or another. Thing is, I think the Cambridges should play it down and just let the whole kerfuffle die a natural death, rather than keep breathing life into it by stirring the embers with a law suit, especially with criminal proceedings.

I know William is pissed off with the paps because of what they did to his mother, and I am the first to blame them for flashing those lights into the driver's eyes on the night of the fatal crash, but ranting now will not bring his mother back. He needs to get a grip. And move on.

I'm sure William is still upset about what happened to his mother but I think William is upset about the paps and magazines trying to make money off of his wife. I think any husband, royal or not, would be upset that a stupid photographer is taking a private picture of his wife and splashing it all over the papers and on the net. All William is trying to do is protect his wife and I don't blame him.

This is a very nice gesture!!
But they did return them also because they were the product of an illegal action-robbery (like a stolen wallet, you have to give it to the police..), or simply because they were not interesting pics, or because the Sun is NOT closer or CHI...

Well I think a reporter from The Sun said that the pictures were pretty intimate but they did the right thing. It wouldn't have been nice of The Sun to publish the pictures.

Well I think a reporter from The Sun said that the pictures were pretty intimate but they did the right thing. It wouldn't have been nice of The Sun to publish the pictures.

OK, cudos to them, bravo!!

The British tabloids only hold back because of the strict label rights in the country and because they do not want to end up on the black list on future events (Cambridge baby etc). William will be King one day and he might never forgive those who have annoyed him, big time, like this.

They are all out to make money, the British tabloids would be the first ones to print topless or more pictures from any other royal of any country except Britain. This is not a moral or ethical decision, its enforced by the circumstances.

The British tabloids only hold back because of the strict label rights in the country and because they do not want to end up on the black list on future events (Cambridge baby etc). William will be King one day and he might never forgive those who have annoyed him, big time, like this.

They are all out to make money, the British tabloids would be the first ones to print topless or more pictures from any other royal of any country except Britain. This is not a moral or ethical decision, its enforced by the circumstances.

Very realistic, you are right.

I just think the photographer should do the right thing and stop publishing the pictures. Many of the pictures are out, some will be taken down but many of them have been seen and there's nothing can be done about that.

What just make me smile during all of this, the Cambridges are allowing their lawyers to handle this and they are carrying out their duties on behalf of The Queen and not letting this get them down.

I think our discussion is an endless story... Of course I'm blaming the photographs, they are absolutely awful, but FIRST of all, I'm blaming Kate for having be OUTSIDE topless. Royals, must have constantly in mind that they are exposed everywhere, except inside the walls of their home. All the rest is philosophy. Even if they gain their cause, and of course they will gain it, topless pics are already everywhere. This should have been avoided.

If I'm not mistaken, Prince Charles was photographed inside his own home. So essentially, the royals aren't safe anywhere. It's sad really. I don't blame Kate one bit. The fault lies entirely with the paps.

Last edited:

I agree. Although I would hope the British press wouldn't have published topless and intimate pictures of foreign royals on vacation. Have they done this before?

If I'm not mistaken, Prince Charles was photographed inside his own home. So essentially, the royals aren't safe anywhere.

Really? You see this is why the royals put their foot down when it comes to their privacy. If they can't relax in their own home or on private property then something have to give.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Although I would hope the British press wouldn't have published topless and intimate pictures of foreign royals on vacation. Have they done this before?

If they havent, then only because nobody in Britain knows who these foreign royals are and the pictures dont sell. They might not show dead bodies like the US mags but are not far behind when it comes to exposing celebrities, zooming in on anything indecent (very often given the opportunity by those who want to be even more famous). There is no shame, their own royals are an exception for different reasons.

The other way around, for the foreign press (like the irish guy said), William & Kate are celebrities and there are no favours and why should there? Its all about making money, even if those mags will lose lawsuits who cares? The fine will be pocket money for them.

Somebody said it in a different way earlier, and I agree: it only takes a little thought to avoid such a desaster. Of course its a violation of privacy but who wins here? It only takes time, energy, makes William even more angry but in the end it wont change a thing. Next opportunity, the long lense will be in position again.

I think my most predominant reaction, and I have had a few distinctly separate ones, is the incredible sadness I feel for William and Catherine. William is likely much more devastated than she and while neither should be embarrassed, each will be for the other, it is a normal response of people who love one another.

It's a commentary, an object lesson in modern values, that is revealing and ought to be embarrassing to every single one of us who feeds the terrible machine that creates situations like this.

I'm a Canadian and they are my future King and Queen and I would like to say, for the record, this to them: the shameful way in which you were exploited has angered me on your behalf and your ability to carry on through this has impressed me. I always thought well of you, but now I am proud of you as individuals - not just as a future monarch and his consort - for the way you have responded. It is a proof that dignity is a thing that cannot be TAKEN - it has to be GIVEN and you have kept yours. If I ever have the chance to have to curtsy to either of you, it will be the (lady) bow of respect earned, not demanded. In a weird way, you gave me a gift :)

That said, sue the a**hats from here to Kingdom come!

Really? You see this is why the royals put their foot down when it comes to their privacy. If they can't relax in their own home or on private property then something have to give.

Yep. I just found an article...it was actually a friend's home. Nevertheless, he was inside.

Then, in 1994, it was the turn of the Prince of Wales. A photograph of him naked on holiday at a friend’s chateau near Avignon was published in Paris Match and the German paper Bild. It showed Charles standing at a window of his room after going swimming with only a white towelling robe thrown over his shoulder.

The prince had spent time at the chateau every summer and been pictured through the same window four years earlier by a platoon of paparazzi who had their long lenses trained on him from a nearby olive grove.
His detectives had supervised the setting up of a ‘privacy screen’ in the chateau grounds but at least one photographer beat the security.

Source: Dailymail

Last edited:
If they havent, then only because nobody in Britain knows who these foreign royals are and the pictures dont sell. They might not show dead bodies like the US mags but are not far behind when it comes to exposing celebrities, zooming in on anything indecent (very often given the opportunity by those who want to be even more famous). There is no shame, their own royals are an exception for different reasons.

The other way around, for the foreign press (like the irish guy said), William & Kate are celebrities and there are no favours and why should there? Its all about making money, even if those mags will lose lawsuits who cares? The fine will be pocket money for them.

Somebody said it in a different way earlier, and I agree: it only takes a little thought to avoid such a desaster. Of course its a violation of privacy but who wins here? It only takes time, energy, makes William even more angry but in the end it wont change a thing. Next opportunity, the long lense will be in position again.

Well, I think it's very good that William & Catherine are standing up for their privacy because this time it was a camera lense, next time it could be a gun. The only choice they have is to put their foot down.

They were in a private world in an intimate moment and were caught off guard and the photographer just wants money, these scandalous pictures have to stop, its creating a bad images of The BRF, the palace and themselves( catherine and harry). How embarassed do you think they feel with people pointing fingers at them. The damn photographer of course only did it for the $ and not once did they think twice that it could ruin the reputation of someone or even a nation. When someone os doing well why must they hate and try to ruin that person.

They were in a private world in an intimate moment and were caught off guard and the photographer just wants money, these scandalous pictures have to stop, its creating a bad images of The BRF, the palace and themselves( catherine and harry). How embarassed do you think they feel with people pointing fingers at them. The damn photographer of course only did it for the $ and not once did they think twice that it could ruin the reputation of someone or even a nation. When someone os doing well why must they hate and try to ruin that person.

Grandduchess24, I think The Duchess of Cambridge is proving that she's coming out of this with her head held high and she's moving forward with so much grace. She's got her husband supporting her through it all. She's going to be okay.

There's a difference between these stolen pics and those of some previous scandals. The Cambridges are a married couple. Not dallying with others than their spouses. For me it's pretty non-starter as a scandal. Everyone knows Kate has a model's body, this just proved it, no problem. I guess my standards are different. The papparazi are scum but Kate is beautiful and faithful to her husband.

I just read a report saying that Chi magazine, in addition to the photos, printed an interview with a prominent Italian plastic surgeon who gave his expert opinion of the future configuration of the breasts in question. Yuck. Leave her alone!

William and Catherine only ever gave something to the worldwide public. He did not chose to be born as heir of The Prince of Wales but accepted that role while he in addition seeked a profession where he could give something to his home country beyond fulfilling the duties that are due to his position. She married him and now helps him coping with his life.

What did they take apart from the costs anyone in their position would have incured?

And what is the result? People use them, people mock them, sell them or tell them to let anybody do to them whatever they like because they are "public property". Guess what? It is a real shame! And I wonder if being Royal is worth it.

Well, I guess I would blame William & Catherine for putting themselves in this position if they were on a public beach or on public property but they weren't. They were on private property doing something (which I think they are use to doing when in private and vacationing privately) and their privacy should've been respected. I don't even think William & Catherine would've let their guard down like that if they felt it wasn't in private. So now that their privacy have been violated, I really don't think I could blame them for persuing legal action on the pictures.

The royals should stand up for their rights, despite being public figures. They have a right to their privacy too.

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if William and Kate receive messages from other royals expressing their support for them. No one should be "hunted" like this.

Everyone is applauding their composure but they were unable to acknowledge the native topless dancers, which they should have if only to show that it is not about them but about others.

This may scare off other potential wives for Harry. Sadly, the magazine will make a fortune on this issue alone and once the photos are out there, there is nothing to bring them back. 25 years from now, their children can google "naked photos of Kate" and find them.

Back
Top Bottom