Catherine & William: 'Closer' Magazine and Breach of Privacy - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know the Cambridges and royals are glad the pics are not splashed all over the net. You can't even find them and that's how it should stay.

Oh, you can find them, and very easily and quickly.

I have a right to express my opinion using a word/words I like. At the same time, the TRF members have a right to disagree with me. If my word/words go against TRF rules, moderators will modify or delete my posts.
It is entertaining to read ardent empty speeches.

Of course you have that right, its just that the words you chose make you sound as if you have read too many Victorian novels, Trollope perhaps, and live in a long gone era.

Yes, Al_bina, you to have the right to express your opinion using words that do not violate TRF guidelines. Just don't be surprised if some of us find the words you choose to use seem as though you are looking down your nose at the rest of us. We all put our panties on one leg at a time, you are not better than me, nor am I better than you, however I don't express my opinions (at least I hope I don't) in a way that would make anyone feel like I am above them.

I could not read a lot of this thread, because the judgmental attitude of so many posters is as repulsive to me as the taking of the pictures. Neither is right.

It's almost as if some of you hope that Kate will be emotionally scarred by this, but I bet she won't. She's an intelligent person.
In which posts did you read that some of us hoped Kate would be emotionally scarred. ??????????? I don't think anyone in here has expressed that, whether they have supported her bathing topless or not. I believe that some posters are saying (forgive me if I'm wrong) that being the future Queen of England, sunbathing topless was risky and she should have known better. But by saying some posters have a judgmental attitude - this is a forum is it not ? where we are all able to express how we feel - just because each of us has a differing point of view, doesn't mean we are being judgmental. :)

According to CNN the distance the paps were from the Chateau was 7.5 footballs fields away. I guess the paps now have the eye sights of an eagle or hawk since the claim the view was visible with the naked eye on the main road

LOL, seems to have become the word of the day.
Looking tanned was considered plebian until Coco Chanel made it fashionable in the 20's
Today, I would say looking tanned is not plebian anymore, just passe.

Looking tanned was considered plebian until Coco Chanel made it fashionable in the 20's
Today, I would say looking tanned is not plebian anymore, just passe.
Off topic, but it predates Coco. It goes back to the industrial revolution when the plebeians left the fields and went to work in the factories and saw no sunshine, while those that grew richer from the labour of others were able to embark on Grand Tours and spent time out of doors.

Judging from the number of people who flock to the beaches, spend time on their boats or other outdoor sports getting tanned is hardly passe. Even those who do not spend time out of doors seem to want a little colour either from a tanning booth, a bottle or sprayed on. Being pale and pasty does not seem to be a look many go in for.

JMO but calling someone a plebeian seems a raher condescending word and one probably outdated even in the days of the Dowager Countess of Grantham and used only by the most insufferable snobs even then.

Last edited:
for nine years straight while dating the prince kate did not ever have photograph taken with her top off. why now?

MIchelle are you referring to me or just the overall convo in this thread? Because I agree with you and I don't feel I ever gave the impression that this is about Kate's nudity or not.

for nine years straight while dating the prince kate did not ever have photograph taken with her top off. why now?

I'm getting the feeling William & Catherine do this on a regular bases but this time the paps decided to spy on them, take the pictures and publish them. William & Catherine have taken many vacations before and their privacy have never been invaded in this way before.

When the royals are in a safe and private place they let their hair down and just relax. Basically, they do just what we all do and all they want is some private time, just like everybody else.

The royals give so much of themselves publically all year round. I think they want to put their feet up and relax on private property they should be able to do that without having their privacy stepped on and invaded.

I get the feeling that the next vacation they go on, no matter how secluded and private the place they will be at, they will always look over their shoulders and feel a bit paranoid. No one should have to feel like that, royal or not.

Dman said:
I get the feeling that the next vacation they go on, no matter how secluded and private the place they will be at, they will always look over their shoulders and feel a bit paranoid. No one should have to feel like that, royal or not.

Agreed. And it's a beastly thing to do to someone- destroying their sense of safety.

I am not twisting the facts (I may have implied he was on duty too). He was absent at the Olympics ceremony because he was on duty, they could not lie on that, his mates would know they were lying. Now, what was the real reason for being absent at the Paralympic'? A prior unspecified commitment, much more important for the two ambassadors to not attend. They were not only hiding they were in France, they were showing those amazing athletes how much they care!

But they'd already spent a lot of time at Olympic events.
Let's face it, there's just so much a person can take!

(I myself do not care for sports, yet I watched much of the Olympics, caught up in the pageantry and the excitement.
But the Paralympics came right after, and it was overkill, imo. Maybe if there'd been a bigger gap between the events, it might have been better).

Their next vacation is probably to Balmoral and William would have a gun then. For the past two years they invited Kate's parents to Birkhall in the fall. So if I was a scummy photographer I would avoid the Scottish forests around Aberdeen in case I get mistaken a for a stag.

I have a right to express my opinion using a word/words I like. At the same time, the TRF members have a right to disagree with me. If my word/words go against TRF rules, moderators will modify or delete my posts.
It is entertaining to read ardent empty speeches.

I've always aspired to empty and at last, I have achieved it. Pity, my friends had complained in the past that I was too intense. I have worked on that, and I have apparently succeeded to become vapid and mindless.

Lets all celebrate.

Next challenge?

XeniaCasaraghi said:
MIchelle are you referring to me or just the overall convo in this thread? Because I agree with you and I don't feel I ever gave the impression that this is about Kate's nudity or not.

I wasn't calling anyone specific.. The general conversation..and not just on this board suddenly seemed to include opinions (not all) that W&K were being Puritan in being upset about topless photos, and therefore that lessened the intrusiveness factor. My point was that their privacy, whatever they were doing, was infringed upon. It was their choice to be private.

MichelleQ2 said:
If anyone can impact the privacy laws, it will be William. He has the resources, respect and history behind him to be a serious champion to effect change. Few human beings on the planet have the history with paparazzi he does. another point of note, he was instrumental in his home country on the demise of Murdoch's News of the World, essentially lighting the match. And now he is taking this to French paparazzi. He is not a frivolous boy. He is a man to be reckoned with, and I assume him to be a formidable opponent.

See now you have me creating conspiracy theories in my head.

MichelleQ2 said:
If anyone can impact the privacy laws, it will be William. He has the resources, respect and history behind him to be a serious champion to effect change. Few human beings on the planet have the history with paparazzi he does. another point of note, he was instrumental in his home country on the demise of Murdoch's News of the World, essentially lighting the match. And now he is taking this to French paparazzi. He is not a frivolous boy. He is a man to be reckoned with, and I assume him to be a formidable opponent.

See now you have me creating conspiracy theories in my head.

Well, the media can't continue to play games with William. This guy have a wife to look after and sooner or later they will have children to look after. He's got a family to protect now.

Their next vacation is probably to Balmoral and William would have a gun then. For the past two years they invited Kate's parents to Birkhall in the fall. So if I was a scummy photographer I would avoid the Scottish forests around Aberdeen in case I get mistaken a for a stag.

Not only will William have a gun but most likely will have a posse. Its mostly been non British press that has been printing this garbage though. I think the British press is all too aware off the advantages of keeping themselves in William's good graces and although they can allude to "dirt" on the royals, there's a line they will not cross. This was one of them.

I am late to this, and its sad that their trip is being derailed by topless gate. All this recognition for HM (Jubilee, Olympics) and then the new generation steps in with a different understanding of service & duty.

No matter what legal position there is, how can one be so stupid in Kates position and go topless anywhere. Privacy is a human right but reality is different. Its not rocket science that paparazzi do have long distance lenses and no conscience.

And to pull the Diana card over and over again (forgetting that the Diana - press relationship wasnt so one-sided after all) is just embarrassing.

I absolutely and wholeheartedly support the action being taken against publication of these photos. Anyone with HALF a brain SHOULD be able to understand that it is 100% UNACCEPTABLE to have such photos of taken of them without their express consent then published for the purpose of humiliating them and for monetary gain.

In the end it wont matter. The genie is out of the bottle, so to say. The future british queen has been seen almost naked and no court judgement can undo this.

In the end, for Kate, going topless outside your own walls, is beyond naive, thinking that the paps will give her a pass. For most people a royal is a celebrity these days, nothing more.

Last edited:
It is not at all like the story of the thieve. Kate was in a private place, not somewhere public. The door was closed. You are blaming the woman for taking her top off, not the man who hid, spied and used a long ranged lense to photograph her without her permission.

I think our discussion is an endless story... Of course I'm blaming the photographs, they are absolutely awful, but FIRST of all, I'm blaming Kate for having be OUTSIDE topless. Royals, must have constantly in mind that they are exposed everywhere, except inside the walls of their home. All the rest is philosophy. Even if they gain their cause, and of course they will gain it, topless pics are already everywhere. This should have been avoided.

^^^^ does this fall under the saying...an ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure. (or something like that) :)

^^^^ does this fall under the saying...an ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure. (or something like that) :)

Very well said!
Anyway, regardless the discussion of the responsibilty, I have admired them this weekend, the courage an the proffessionalism they are executing their task!
Bravo sweet couple.

I'll bet the pap was surprised when Catherine appeared topless. Something like that can't be planned, unless someone inside said "Kate sunbathes topless each day at 3:00p."

I'm ambivalent about the whole thing.

I'll bet the pap was surprised when Catherine appeared topless. Something like that can't be planned, unless someone inside said "Kate sunbathes topless each day at 3:00p."

I'm ambivalent about the whole thing.

Ha Ha!!! You are right!! He should never hope that he became soo rich!!

There ia another delicate pic, where William puts suncream to his wife "behind", for me worst pic than the topless.

I hope all those who now cry that Catherine should be more careful with where she sunbathes in private will applaud her when she choses next time a much more secured, more secluded destination - even if it comes at a much higher cost.

She can sunbathe any way she wants, anywhere she wants. The damage has been done, if it can be called damage. Next time it happens, I'll just say "big deal, we've seen it all before."

In any outside place she does it, she is on danger!!! Money is too sweet for papz!!!

Back
Top Bottom