Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with the story in the Mail. I'm not quite sure that William would call Guy and blatantly tell him he's not one of George's godfathers. And not only that I don't think that Guy would tell the media the whole story about the phone call anyway. He doesn't speak out to the media about this relationship with the royals, thus that is why he is still friends with them.

Yeah, but when they're quoting Guy directly it's harder to say that this story is made up.

Papers have a tendency of making stuff up and using an unnamed "insider" to allegedly verify the so-called facts that they're printing. When they're quoting a verifiable person, however, they tend to be speaking the truth. If Guy hasn't said what the Mail is claiming he said then he could sue.

Yeah, but when they're quoting Guy directly it's harder to say that this story is made up.

Papers have a tendency of making stuff up and using an unnamed "insider" to allegedly verify the so-called facts that they're printing. When they're quoting a verifiable person, however, they tend to be speaking the truth. If Guy hasn't said what the Mail is claiming he said then he could sue.

I do think it's possible the conversation happened - but with a different progression.

Sir, there have been these reports in the press...
Please, Guy - it's Wombat to you.
Well, Wombat, there have been these reports, I just wanted you to know, they are not coming from me. So embarrassing.
Yes, Guy, I know - no problem. Happens all the time.
Well Sir, do you want me to do anything to quash them?
Quash. Oh, I see. We find quashing does not always work. Maybe do what you think might be best, but softly?

This kind of conversation confirms that Guy is not being asked to be a godparent - so technically, it makes his statement about the conversation correct in spirit? :ROFLMAO:

Oh, I agree.

We've been told there was a conversation, but we don't know the context of it at all (although I think it happened the way you put it). Now Guy had come out and said that the rumours aren't true.

I am wondering if the made up story about Guy Pelly is the press' way of sending signals to Will that they would like a bit more access to George and Kate. It seems that of all Will's friends, Pelly might be the most controversial of the bunch, so of course he was selected for this made up story. I think we are going to see a tug-of-war and it might just be heating up.

Pure speculation, of course. It might have started when Will waited four hours to announce the birth itself. Victoria Arbiter, the CNN "royal correspondent" immediately commented, when she heard the time of birth on Will's dislike of the media. She remarked that Will has a problem differentiating between valid media and the paps. She also mentioned the fact that media saw Kate entering hospital and chose not to photograph and publish the photos, giving them some privacy. I thought it a clear message that the press would play fair with Will if he played fair with them.

I am afraid that George's birth will make this tug of war even harder.

Yes, I'm speculating. But I think this is what's going on.

Reactions: Ish
I think it is just as likely that one of the Palace/Clarence House/Kensington Palace leaked the notion that Guy Pelly might be a godparent to see if it would fly.

I don't find it unusual that William might have proposed him, for the following reasons.
1. Guy Pelly has been a friend to both William and Harry for some time. Not sure when they met, but it was years ago.
2. Pelly has taken the fall for William, apparently--I speak of the time when Harry stood accused of using drugs; some think that it was William, not Pelly, who introduced Harry to same.
3. According to Katie Nicholl, of the dubious Daily Mail, who wrote a book entitled ... William and Harry, in 2010, Guy Pelly stood by Kate during the 2007 breakup.
4. I know nothing of his background, but it is clear that Pelly actually works for a living, and I rather doubt that nightclubbing would have been something his parents would have chosen for him if they had been well-heeled enuf to offer him an alternative. He may well be an entrepreneur, a self-starter, of necessity.
5. He may sometimes drink to excess, but who doesn't in the William-Harry gang--and if that is his only misdemeanour, then he is well ahead of some of the royal circle of friends, several of whom were more-or-less foisted upon William and Harry by their definitely morally dubious Dad.

[I don't believe the Palace released any such info.

If you google Pelly you will see he has had several serious charges against him. One was for speeding at 129 mph, which was resolved and another is a drunk driving charge, which has yet to be resolved.

Guy Pelly caught speeding at 129mph in £100,000 supercar - Telegraph

Princes' friend Guy Pelly accused of drink-driving in sports car near his own nightclub | Mail Online

This is why I believe whoever started this misinformation sought to put Will in a very unfavorable light. The "source" could have chosen any one of Will's many, many friends. The source chose Pelly. This is beyond what I would characterize as "silly season" reporting.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I am afraid that George's birth will make this tug of war even harder...
Very well said! I think you are absolutely right. I think Will goes out of his way to show that he is doing things on his terms now - i.e. delaying the birth announcement, leaving KP for the Middleton home after just one night, the home snapshot photos...

The gutter press snuffling about during the "dry" season was digging under every piece of trash laying about looking for any tidbit to sensationalize and make a big headline with. This time they chose Guy Pelly. OOOH! "Bad Parent Will chooses unsavory character friend for a godfather" innuendo headlines. The dirtbags were looking to make money as a prime reason. Sensationalistic reporting does sometime goad responses and I do think this time it was William and Co. that ended up with the upper hand.

Guy Pelly did call Richard Kay and was directly quoted in his article. Its often been said that Kay and William's mother had a good working relationship and its very possible that out of all the press out there, William actually knows and respects Kay. I don't think Pelly would be as media savvy as Will is and between the two of them hatched the best response to this rumor without involving the "royal" powers that speak in it (BP/KP etc).

The article not only squashes the rumors of choice of a godparent but it also gave Guy Pelly an opportunity to address the press coverage he has faced over the years and kept quiet about. He was straight forward, honest, mentioned his current girlfriend by name, where they've vacationed recently and his current business ventures in detail. The interview with Kay I believe was well thought out and I'd not be at all surprised if William was the instigator and conspirator on the whole thing.

Chalk up another "Gotcha!" to William. He's quite a strategist when it comes to dealing with people and the media. He's had to be and learned well. If he ever decided to relinquish the role of King, he'd do well in the diplomatic corps methinks. :D

I'll make my final prediction about the godparent of Prince George of Cambridge:

- HRH The Crown Prince of Greece.
- HRH Prince Harry of Wales.
- Mr. Hugh van Cutsem.
- HRH The Countess of Wessex.
- Ms. Philippa Middleton.

I think those are all good choices and quite likely

Rose Van Custem is William's godchild just like Tom Pfieffter that why they were in the wedding. William and Kate know about the character of their friends more than people on the Internet.

Rose Van Custem is William's godchild just like Tom Pfieffter that why they were in the wedding. William and Kate know about the character of their friends more than people on the Internet.

I think you mean Grace van Cutsem, her mother is Rose.

Thanks that is what I meant to type but didnt Grace aka grumpy ear covering bridesmaid.

Well, the point of a godparent is someone who can step in and take the role of parent in an emergency. I'd pick someone who has children of their own who is good with them, who likes children and who would be a good mentor for my child. That seems to me to be the most important criteria. Though I thought godparents was a Catholic tradition so I was surprised when I heard the royal family had godparents.

From a religious standpoint, a godparent is a person who sponsors a child for his/her baptism. Often they are people who are expected to take an interest in the child's development, an adult to whom the child will have a special relationship with, although that isn't always the case in royal senses. Traditionally royals chose their godparents as much to honour or praise the godparents as to foster relationships between different families although this is in decline.

The connection between godparents and potential guardians if the parents die is likely made because people often chose the same friends or family members as godparents who they would chose to be a guardian of their child. This doesn't happen in royals; I highly doubt any one of Prince William's godparents was ever considered to be potentially his guardian in the event of his parents dying. Likewise with George; unless they go with close family, the godparents aren't likely to be guardians if something happens to the Cambridges.

I'll make my final prediction about the godparent of Prince George of Cambridge...
I think you may have hit the nail on the head, though perhaps not Pippa AND Harry. Maybe one sibling per child...?

I can definitely see a van Cutsem being a godparent, and I can see Sophie being chosen. It is a shame that the BRF are not that close to their European counterparts as I would LOVE to see Crown Princess Victoria as a godparent to little George, though she does have enough godchildren as it is!

I don't know if I would rank Sophie high - but possible. I do think Sarah McCorquodale is a strong possibility. Possibly Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton.

I don't know if I would rank Sophie high - but possible. I do think Sarah McCorquodale is a strong possibility. Possibly Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton.

TBH, I think they would choose Sarah before they'd choose Sophie. I'm still betting on a long shot of Laura Lopes though. I do think it'll end up being 3 godfathers and 3 godmothers with a good mix of family and friends.

Sophie is close to Kate and super close to Louise. I think there will be 6 godparents -3 guys 3 ladies. When does the queen come back from Balmoral? Harry's South Pole trip is in November and Charles is going to Chomg in mid Nov. So late October for the christening. I hope that they do it in St George's chapel because where else should a baby named George be christened but a namesake chapel .

I seriously think it will be in the Music Room of Buckingham Palace as George is a future monarch but I do agree it would be most fitting to have his christening in St. George's chapel. Its also the burial site of King George V.

Sophie is close to Kate and super close to Louise. I think there will be 6 godparents -3 guys 3 ladies. When does the queen come back from Balmoral? Harry's South Pole trip is in November and Charles is going to Chomg in mid Nov. So late October for the christening. I hope that they do it in St George's chapel because where else should a baby named George be christened but a namesake chapel .

First off...I do know what you meant, Kate is super close to Louise, but I would hope Sophie is as well considering she's her Mother. ;)

Second...I'd assumed the Christening would happen at BP in the Music Room, like w/William, but the more I think of, the more I like your idea. As you said, considering the symbolism of St. George's Chapel, and the little one's name...I like it. Just not too sure it'll happen, but I do like it.

As the date...October 30th is an excellent date for the Christening. A perfect date in fact. That it's also my Birthday has nothing to do w/it of course. ;)

xxxxx Pippa I'm sick of her, I want James as a godparent.

Since when has godparent selection become some sort of morality play from the Middle Ages? Why should any actions by Williams parents or by the Van Cutsem boys parents have anything to do with who is or is not "worthy" of being a godparent to Prince George?

I don't agree, NGalitzine. the godparents should be people of enough depth and good behavior to be able to give guidance to the child if needed, even to intercede if needed, as Charles did with one of his godchildren. Otherwise the ceremony is a sham. It would be just like lining people up for popularity awards. I don't know all of about the potential godparents, so I won't advise who they should be. This is not a secular award ceremony, it is a religious ceremony, to be repetitive.

^^^^^
I recognize that it is a religious cermony, having gone through it as the guest of honour and as a 6 times godparent in a CofE ceremony, but I do not think the parents of a godparent have anything to do with the selection of a potential godparent. To rule a Van Cutsem out as a godparent because some poster imagines some fault on the part of their parents seems rather unChristian to me, but then I have noticed that some of the loudest proclaimers of Christian values tend to be rather unChristian in their treatment of others.
Since Charles is godparent to a Van Cutsem son, and William and Harry have ushered at Van Cutsem weddings, and William is godfather to a Van Custem daughter it seems entirely probable one of the godparents of young George will be a Van Cutsem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom