Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is they get to pick whomever they want. It is not like there is an actual job that goes with being a godparent. These people will never be guardians for baby George. At most they will be expected to come up with nice christening gifts and then birthday and Christmas gifts and in return they will be invited to important events in Georges life like major birthdays, confirmation, wedding etc.

I agree. This is more of an honorary position, but the biggest problem is that there is a limited number. I can see 6 or 8 but 10 would be ridiculous. If I were them, I would be tempted to go for prestige and choose high profile royals. That would make it easier to explain to disappointed school friends and relatives. It will be interesting to see how William and Catherine handle it.

For godparents I predict CP Pavlos of Greece, Peter Philips and Hugh van Cutsem and Princess Beatrice along with CP Mary of Denmark and Bella Waley-Cohen
I have read that the Cambridges are friends with CP Fred and CP Mary.
The inclusion of CP Mary and CP Pavlos is fitting in my opinion because Prince George is a member of the House of Glucksburg.

Where did you read that the Cambridges were friends with the Crown Prince and Princess of Denmark? I know they all met once, in Denmark, in November of 2011 for a UNICEF event, but that's it. In any case, I don't think they'll be chosen as godparents, because British royals don't exactly shmooze with the royals from the Continent.

The DM is claiming that William has asked Guy Pelly, who is supposedly thrilled.

Choosing "high profile royals" doesn't seem to be in keeping with the way William and Kate have presented themselves to the world (or lived their daily lives) so far.

William and Kate receive congratulatory call from Denmark's Frederik and Mary | Royal Central

Maybe I'm reading too much into this. They just seem like they may be close friends, under the radar.

The way I see it is that the two couples have something in common and have joined together to aid and support UNICEF and spent some time together. It could be the start of a beautiful friendship but I don't think its the "stop on over for pizza and beer and play a few rounds of poker" type.... yet. I just see it as a good professional working relationship so far but until we are told otherwise, we won't know.

Interesting article, Giraffe.

It seems to be operating under the assumption that Pelly has been confirmed as a godparent.

Well, he is an interesting sort, I'll say that.....

Princes' friend Guy Pelly accused of drink-driving in sports car near his own nightclub | Mail Online

Look, we don't know if he is or is not a godparent, but the report circulated yesterday. Does anyone else find it odd he chose to soon thereafter release the risque video promoting his new club?

The way I see it is that the two couples have something in common and have joined together to aid and support UNICEF and spent some time together. It could be the start of a beautiful friendship but I don't think its the "stop on over for pizza and beer and play a few rounds of poker" type.... yet. I just see it as a good professional working relationship so far but until we are told otherwise, we won't know.

Mary is also godparent to the future Queen of Sweden, who has Mary in one of her four names. Wouldn't it be something if she went from simple Aussie girl to godmother of kings???

Mary is also godparent to the future Queen of Sweden, who has Mary in one of her four names. Wouldn't it be something if she went from simple Aussie girl to godmother of kings???

Hmmm.. and perhaps do a wee bit of matchmaking in the future between George and Estelle? What better start to a relationship than "My godmother is your godmother too. How bout it?" :D

Well, he is an interesting sort, I'll say that.....

Princes' friend Guy Pelly accused of drink-driving in sports car near his own nightclub | Mail Online

Look, we don't know if he is or is not a godparent, but the report circulated yesterday. Does anyone else find it odd he chose to soon thereafter release the risque video promoting his new club?

There's two ways that line of thinking can go.

1. William has asked Pelly to be a godparent and Pelly's been waiting for the news to pick up on it before releasing the video so as to capitalize on his relationship with William
2. The two reports are just a (well timed) coincidence

I'm kind of more inclined to believe the latter because I don't think William would actually ask Pelly to be a godparent. He's too controversial, too prone to scandal, and risks exposing too much of the Cambridge's private life, which we all know William doesn't like to do.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Pelly's taking advantage of the fact that he's known as William's "best friend" in promoting his business. It may be that this video's release was bumped up simply because Pelly's in the news as William's friend and therefore he's taking advantage of the gossip. I'm not entirely sure if I blame him there... I mean, if people are going to gossip about you regardless, why not take advantage of it?

My post says the Duke and Duchess have know the Crown Princely couple for years and have been friends for a long time

Thanks for the correction on that. I had no idea they knew each other before the joint UNICEF engagement. I do have to admit that they'd make an excellent choice in godparenting and definitely put a bit of royal into the choices of godparents.

I'm of mixed opinion on Guy Pelly though as a godparent. Perhaps his lifestyle is more flamboyant and bohemian than most but could a lot of it be for show? If anyone knows his true nature, it'd be William and I think he's a wise enough man to know this is his son he's choosing godparents for and if he does opt to ask Pelly, there'll be good reasons for it and well thought out.

I don't get the impression that William and Kate are that close to the other royals families. They have plenty of friends and family they can choose from for George's godparents. I guess we will see in a month or so.

The Pelly as godparent seems strange. The Cambridges are so good at keeping things quiet. A leak from their trusted circle seems suspicious

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like they've known each other for several years, in public they've met twice. Unless they do all their friendly gatherings in super super secrecy, I can see them being best buddies. A Greek royal as godparent is much more likely.

The one thing I would really like to see is an end to choosing Greek-wanna-be-royals as godparents. They are royal has-beens. If HMTQ or anyone else insists upon a foreign royal godparent, then go for the real McCoy.

The one thing I would really like to see is an end to choosing Greek-wanna-be-royals as godparents. They are royal has-beens. If HMTQ or anyone else insists upon a foreign royal godparent, then go for the real McCoy.

The Greek royals are the closest foreign royal relations to the current BRF. If they're chosen it won't be because they're royal but because they're family.

Constantine is William's godfather and William is godfather to Pavlos' eldest son. They are also relatives of Philip. Constantine's wife is the sister of Denmark's queen so they have royal blood on both sides.

The Greek royals are the closest foreign royal relations to the current BRF. If they're chosen it won't be because they're royal but because they're family.

Exactly. How much more "real McCoy" can you get than Grandpa's side of the family? :D

That's just insulting and rather ignorant IMO

Reaching out to foreign royal families for godparents is more of a continental thing to do. The BRF seem quite content to select godparents from amongst their own relations and friends. If it is a foreign royal then the Greeks would have the inside track since they largely live in London and attend BRF family events, both public and private, so are well known to the family,

Can you imagine the press going crazy if CP Mary was chosen as a godmother lol. (not out of the realm of possibility)

Its possible. Perhaps Pavlos and Mary as one set of godparents? That'd cover the royal angle nicely. Definitely think Harry and Pippa will be another set. If the rumors are true and one is Guy Pelly, who are they going to team him up with? It wouldn't surprise me if Beatrice is chosen to stand up as godmother with Pelly. In fact, I do think Beatrice is a very strong contender as godmother. She's always seemed to be quite close with both William and Harry.

Another choice I think that could get the presses into overdrive is if they asked Laura Lopes as godmother. Its within the realm of possibility for me as William and Kate were close enough to Laura to ask her daughter to be part of their wedding party. I think it'd be a beautiful gesture.

I think that Bea is closer to Harry than William. William to me seem closer to Peter and Zara than his York cousins. There is only a year difference in age between William and Zara and there is 6 years between him and Beatrice.

My post says the Duke and Duchess have know the Crown Princely couple for years and have been friends for a long time. They appear to be friends.

And they have excellent manners.

I stand by my comment that the Greeks are not royal, nor have they been for two full generations. They were kicked out of Greece several decades ago.

Good foreign, and truly royal godparents, would include Crown Prince Haakon and his wife, of Norway, and King Willem-Alexander and his wife, of the Netherlands. I propose them because they appear to possess the one thing wanting in the BRF, personal integrity, and I would like the very best for George.

I stand by my comment that the Greeks are not royal, nor have they been for two full generations. They were kicked out of Greece several decades ago.

Good foreign, and truly royal godparents, would include Crown Prince Haakon and his wife, of Norway, and King Willem-Alexander and his wife, of the Netherlands. I propose them because they appear to possess the one thing wanting in the BRF, personal integrity, and I would like the very best for George.

Little George's godparents do not have to be royal, and royal does not automatically mean 'the very best'...
Sounds like a Disney version of a baptism you're thinking of :lol:

The point being made about why someone from the Greek royal family would be chosen over any of the other European royalty is that the Greek royal family (deposed or not) are family. Prior to his marriage to the then Princess Elizabeth, the DoE was Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark. As mentioned earlier, there is a history in the BRF of having Greek relatives as godparents.

I don't believe that William and Kate will choose any of the godparents solely on the basis that they are royal but because they are family and/or close friends. Being a godparent is not something that is doled out like a order given by The Queen or a lifetime peerage

Osipi, I have nothing against godparents chosen because they are family or close friends, altho I have a personal preference for those possessing personal integrity. And if a foreign royal family possesses that, then I say humbly ask them if they would be willing to stand as godparents for George. If close family members or friends suit, then ask them. The point is to secure the very best for George.

I agree with Empress Jo in that the godparents chosen by the future Defender of the Faith for the next Defender of the Faith can't be just any old person Will and Kate like. It should be one with a bit of integrity. That said, I'm sure they can find six or so people in Britain with integrity if they don't chose to look internationally. :lol:

A Republic can't revoke the royal status from someone. The Greek Royal Family is as Royal as they were in 1973, that's why they are still referred to their titles at Royal Courts all over the world.

I'm sorry, but it is not up to you to decide who is Royal or not. In fact, for the Royals, once you are a Royal, you'll always be a Royal.

Richard Kay in the Mail has Guy Pelly denying he is going to be one of George's godparents. They also used a photo in the story of Guy and Harry and they look like teenagers. You would they could find a more recent photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom