Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m definitely not a fan of Diana but I like that he chose names from his mother’s side.

He honored both sides of his family without actually saying what side he was actually honoring.

He may well have decided to honor his mother by honoring her family by using their names while at the same time making it seem he was using RF names

At first, I thought the media was doing an overkill comparing the dresses but with the names, I think both the names and the dresses were for Diana.

Good job William.

Me too, Queen Camilla. The dress, especially, was so obvious that even the non-Royal watchers in my family noticed it (and they were not looking at side by side photos, but they did watch media coverage that included both women).

If it were my naming decision, I'd have done something very similar (go with traditional names that are in use on both sides of the family). Notice how they also avoided using a name belonging to a younger member of the near family.

I don't think that's how nicknames evolve, and I don't recall Wills being announced as William's nickname (nor, for that matter, a formal early announcement for Harry, either). If there was, I missed it - and would love to know about it.

I wonder if the Victorian/Edwardian era influenced my one grandmother (who was born in 1886), whose children were nearly all nicknamed. (In fact, one of the ones who wasn't nicknamed was named after a maiden aunt, and then given to the maiden aunt to raise in another state - resulting in a sort of "female junior" relationship in terms of names.)

If Kate's family intended to call Catherine "Kate" all along (and they probably did) I doubt they put that on her birth announcement. Instead, they probably discouraged people from calling her Cat, Cathy or other versions and just called her Kate or Katey. That's what we did.

Nicknames are not usually formally announced. As someone posted upthread, there are nicknames for George (although it is quite nice if they go ahead and call him George, he's a baby right now, and it's really irresistible in many cases to avoid using a sweet nickname when they're babies).

Georgie would my own unavoidable utterance if I saw that little face.

Wills was never announced as William's nickname, but Harry was. There's a difference between the two - William is known in the public as Prince William, while Harry is known as Prince Harry, despite his name being Henry. The reason is because when Harry's name was announced it was also said that he would be known as Harry.

I'm having a hard time finding articles that quote BP directly, but here are two from when Harry's name was announced.

The Montreal Gazette - Google News Archive Search
Hello, Harry! - Birth Announcements, Prince Harry, Princess Diana : People.com

Wills on the other hand was initially just a family nickname that probably did evolve naturally. It doesn't seem like it's something that he gets called often as an adult, in comparison to his brother's almost exclusive use of his nickname.

The same can be said of Edward VIII (David) and George VI (Bertie) in comparrison to their sister, Mary (born Victoria Alexandra Alice Mary). David and Mary were given a slew of royal names but went by their last name, while Bertie was given a slew of royal names but went a nickname based on his first name (Albert). The difference is that David and Bertie were officially Prince Edward of York and Prince Albert of York at birth, while Mary was Princess Mary of York.

That a nickname for Baby George wasn't announced when his name was announced implies that he's going to be known to the public (perhaps not necessarily by the public, but to them) as Prince George, much like how his father is known as Prince William, and his great-grandmother was once known as Princess Elizabeth. Nicknames for him might evolve within the family, but it won't be like how Harry's known.

That's not the board for me :lol:
(did you mention there that the Louis was after Camilla's grandson?)

If they had wanted to remember Diana with the name, they could have used her middle name, her last name, her brother's name, her father's name...but they didn't... they just used names they liked and whatever names they would have chosen, someone would eventually have made a link with Diana.

The diana-'fans' occasionally resemble religion-fanatics....very dangerous people...

I happen to mention that the names match his cousins. That doesn't mean I'm anti Windsor. Why does the most simple things turn into an out and out war? No one hates the Windsors simply bc they notice the names match up.

Thanks, I thought there was another one about the four George's. part of it or along the lines of "George i was bad but George ii was worst"

I know the song you're talking about, but I can't remember the lyrics or find it online.

I believe it ended with IV being called the worst.

At first, I thought the media was doing an overkill comparing the dresses but with the names, I think both the names and the dresses were for Diana.

Good job William

With all due respect i really think there's is no "hidden clues" about the names and the dress.
I'm perfectly aware that a tiny minority is positively gutted that 1. they didn't have a girl to call her Diana 2. Diana was not expressly named by the family as the late Grandmother of little Georgie.
Just thinking that the Duke and the Duchess of Cambridge wanted to show to the world their disdain for the Windsors with some secret signs, only seen by some die hard fans (how strange), is just laughable. The chosen names match their cousins indeed, but also the Windsors, the Monarchy in general and the aristocraty in particular and even, as pointed out, Camilla's family. These facts are maybe too unthinkable to handle....
As for the dress, it was not the same colour, not even the same cut but yes dots were seen and i didn't know until yesterday that the late princess of Wales had the monopoly on the polka dots dresses.
This desperate attempt to see Diana in every steps made by this couple would be funny if it was not for some, thankfully not every admirers of the late princess, the expression of deep bitterness and vengeful feeling toward William 's family. Wich is, for the first day on Earth of a little one from this very same family, rather disturbing.
Diana was in their mind and their soul, they don't need to express to the entire world their feelings by showing some clues "in memoriam" to feed the cheesy spirit of some, excited by some media. We are not in one of those damn "Lifetime" movies for Pete's sake !
Why , oh why, can't we take the situation as it is : a wonderful event, some great memories shared together, a very happy family and a bright future for a Monarchy as popular as ever.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you, thank you, thank you Nico

You said exactly what I wanted to say but I wouldn't have been so polite.

As you say, enjoy the moment and leave the rest alone and stop taking sides.:flowers::flowers:

I agree. Well said, Nico.

So George Alexander Louis here you are!! Having more than one name is something i always wanted!

Wills was never announced as William's nickname, but Harry was. There's a difference between the two - William is known in the public as Prince William, while Harry is known as Prince Harry, despite his name being Henry. The reason is because when Harry's name was announced it was also said that he would be known as Harry.

I'm having a hard time finding articles that quote BP directly, but here are two from when Harry's name was announced.

Wills on the other hand was initially just a family nickname that probably did evolve naturally. It doesn't seem like it's something that he gets called often as an adult, in comparison to his brother's almost exclusive use of his nickname.

The same can be said of Edward VIII (David) and George VI (Bertie) in comparrison to their sister, Mary (born Victoria Alexandra Alice Mary). David and Mary were given a slew of royal names but went by their last name, while Bertie was given a slew of royal names but went a nickname based on his first name (Albert). The difference is that David and Bertie were officially Prince Edward of York and Prince Albert of York at birth, while Mary was Princess Mary of York.

That a nickname for Baby George wasn't announced when his name was announced implies that he's going to be known to the public (perhaps not necessarily by the public, but to them) as Prince George, much like how his father is known as Prince William, and his great-grandmother was once known as Princess Elizabeth. Nicknames for him might evolve within the family, but it won't be like how Harry's known.

Yes, I remember the announcement of Prince Harry's name. They announced his full name and said he would be called "Prince Harry."

The name chosen for the baby does roll off the tongue easily when said aloud. It also is a strong regal name. I am hoping this leads to an increase of the beautiful, dignified names in the general public. Parents really do need to think about the effect a name has on a child as an adult. Well done William and Catherine.

Does anyone remember why they said he would be called Harry instead of Henry? I always felt, my opinion, that if you were going to use a nickname, why not just name the child that name. Now I am not talking about Sweetcakes, Bubba, or Skip, but when you name your child Kristen, but then tell everyone you are going to call her Kristi, why not just name her Kristi? I never understood it, nor did I like it. When I chose my son's name, one of the criteria was there wasn't an established nickname so he would be called what I named him.

Does anyone remember why they said he would be called Harry instead of Henry? I always felt, my opinion, that if you were going to use a nickname, why not just name the child that name. Now I am not talking about Sweetcakes, Bubba, or Skip, but when you name your child Kristen, but then tell everyone you are going to call her Kristi, why not just name her Kristi? I never understood it, nor did I like it. When I chose my son's name, one of the criteria was there wasn't an established nickname so he would be called what I named him.

I think a lot of people like having a full, more formal name, whether or not they start out with the intention of using a nickname or not. Others will remember better than I do, but I think Charles and Diana stated that they chose Harry because it was an old-fashioned pronunciation of Henry, or something like that. I think some people like having the flexibility (sometimes when kids themselves reach a certain age, they either start using their full first name or do the opposite, and start using a nickname), and, to me, having a nickname as a legal first name just doesn't look quite right. It just seems too informal or something (I can't quite put my finger on it; perhaps it's just that, like the royal family, I'm very traditional about such things).

I read somewhere that Diana wasn't a fan of the name Henry and only agreed to it if they called him Harry.

It could be said that Harry isn't an appropriate name for the child of the heir to the throne, while Henry is, so as a compromise he got both.

Personally I'm a fan of given name-based nicknames. If you give your kid the name Xxxx but call him X it gives him the opportunity to use one potentially more professional sounding name in certain aspects of life - school, work, etc - while having another name to use when with friends and family. I think it's even more important when the nickname is something that sounds juvenile, fantastical, or just too nickname-y. I mean, would you rather your doctor be known as Jonathan or Johnny?

I used to work with a guy whose legal name was Jamie but when applying for jobs he used James because he felt his name was a hindrance due to it sounding like a nickname.

Thank you for further making my point. My point is that the formal initial announcement did not include the "Harry" information and all you can find is People Magazine (the article is dated almost one month after the infant's arrival; the Montreal Gazette article is (not surprisingly) more timely - but still cites no sources and would be rejected wholesale as the definitive answer if it were to be published today.

How exactly did the Crown convey to the Gazette that Henry (before he was even christened) was to be called Harry? Through informal means? Are you saying that William and Catherine have no such means of disseminating how they wish their child - or themselves - to be called.

We can state all we want that "Catherine" should be called "Catherine," but it sure appears that her friends, family and the world media call her Kate. Was this officially announced?

I really would like an answer - I've never seen an official announcement of Catherine becoming Kate or becoming "known as" Kate.

These things happen through less informal methods.

I presume that the reason why they didn't name him Harry is because it's a nickname whereas Henry is a "proper" name. Personally I find nicknames-gone-first-names incredibly annoying. Though I've been called Zel or Elja all of my life, I thank goodness that I wasn't christened Zel or Elja because, to me, a nickname is a nickname and it should stay a nickname. Zelia is my "professional" name. I'm Zelia on official documents and in official matters, and I'm Elja to friends and family, and I'm pretty content with that.

I thought he looked like Diana's father a bit when I saw the first pic. I have just looked at a straight-on pic of a baby I think is Prince George on the blog Miss Honoria Glossip. (Miss Glossip does not identify every picture, makes you guess). In this pic on Miss Honoria's site, Prince George looks even more like the bulldog Earl of Spencer. Now that does not mean he will continue to look this way! My grandsons have changed looks regularly, with aging. Incredible changes, with unthought of relatives popping into view.
I didn't like "George" but I do like Georgie and Geo. Geo sounds very cool, like Leo for Leonardo. Or like Gia for Gianna, the pretty Italian name for John (female name). I have always loved Gia for a name; my Italian butcher's daughter had it and I thought, I'd like to be Gia! Or Gianna, or Giannina Mia, the wonderful operetta song from a production I was in so long ago that I forget what it was called.

Thank you for further making my point. My point is that the formal initial announcement did not include the "Harry" information and all you can find is People Magazine (the article is dated almost one month after the infant's arrival; the Montreal Gazette article is (not surprisingly) more timely - but still cites no sources and would be rejected wholesale as the definitive answer if it were to be published today.

How exactly did the Crown convey to the Gazette that Henry (before he was even christened) was to be called Harry? Through informal means? Are you saying that William and Catherine have no such means of disseminating how they wish their child - or themselves - to be called.

We can state all we want that "Catherine" should be called "Catherine," but it sure appears that her friends, family and the world media call her Kate. Was this officially announced?

I really would like an answer - I've never seen an official announcement of Catherine becoming Kate or becoming "known as" Kate.

The official press release from the Palace upon the birth of Prince George gives the full name of the child, and concludes with the information that he will be known as Prince George of Cambridge - I wasn't around at the time and will try to do some sleuthing, but I was under the impression that a similar announcement was made with regard to calling Harry "Harry" rather than Henry.

As for Catherine vs. Kate, the official engagement announcement (and other official press releases, as far as I know), have referred to her is Catherine. The fact that she's known as Kate was, I think, rather obvious at that point, as it had been known throughout her relationship with William that that is what she is called.

Well, here's another article for you, also dated two days after Harry's birth.

St. Joseph News-Press/gazette - Google News Archive Search

The palace said the royal family will call the new prince Harry. This affectionate diminutive is in contrast to palace instructions that William must never be referred to as Bill, or Willy.

Personally, I think the fact that in all the articles announcing Harry's name that I can find - from September 17 - he's referred to as Harry kind of implies that the Palace announced he was to be called Harry. This is despite the fact that I can't find an official announcement (or direct quote) from the palace online dating almost 30 years ago. But that's just me.

Well, here's another article for you, also dated two days after Harry's birth.

St. Joseph News-Press/gazette - Google News Archive Search

Personally, I think the fact that in all the articles announcing Harry's name that I can find - from September 17 - he's referred to as Harry kind of implies that the Palace announced he was to be called Harry. This is despite the fact that I can't find an official announcement (or direct quote) from the palace online dating almost 30 years ago. But that's just me.

Here's a link to an Associated Press article form Sept 17, 1984 that mentions "a Buckingham Palace announcement that he will be called Harry". I saw a picture of yesterday's official print-out announcing Prince George's name - I assume something similar was handed out back in '84, but it probably isn't available digitally.

I agree completely! (And did the same thing you did, with my own children).

I never understood using nicknames (unless the given name is something completely horrible, which has been known to happen).

But why give a child a name and then call him something else? Just name him what you intend to call him! :bang:

Last edited:
Here's a link to an Associated Press article form Sept 17, 1984 that mentions "a Buckingham Palace announcement that he will be called Harry". I saw a picture of yesterday's official print-out announcing Prince George's name - I assume something similar was handed out back in '84, but it probably isn't available digitally.

So glad you found it. I definitely remember the announcement but couldn't find proof. Ish was correct. Whether anybody wanted to believe it or not is another matter.

Thank you!

But, if Harry becomes King, will he be King Harry? No.

And people do still call William "Wills" in real life, yes?

Baby George has no official nickname at this time, that much is obvious. Harry did, William didn't (perhaps the parents had learned something in the meantime).

Interesting, still, that the actual announcement disappears into time, while the newspaper accounts remain (which again, is my point: practical usage will trump official usage anyway). I think they will actually call in George in public (I have never used one of my daughter's nicknames in public - the other one, we use all the time; rather like the royal family has done with William and Henry).

If they end up calling George "Alex" at home, I will bet that Next Royal Baby (if they intend a nickname) will have an official announcement.

Anyway, I've been properly trained here not to believe the press unless there is an actual announcement on the official website (see how time changes things? Different standards for 25 years ago...) So, I'll continue to ask for facts.

The point still is: nicknaming is more fluid than official naming; Wills and Harry both had nicknames (and who knows how many, actually?) - while only one had an official announcement.

Henry VIII was called Hal, without an official announcement (and there should be no debate about his nicknames - again probably not just one). If parents are determined to use another name than the official given name, it makes sense to announce it - but nicknames can arise in many ways (and without consistency across even the same set of parents).

My point, again, is that there is more than one way to get a nickname (compare "Rufus" to "Lilibet" to "Wlls" to "Harry").

Last edited:
But, if Harry becomes King, will he be King Harry? No.

And people do still call William "Wills" in real life, yes?

Baby George has no official nickname at this time, that much is obvious. Harry did, William didn't (perhaps the parents had learned something in the meantime).

Interesting, still, that the actual announcement disappears into time, while the newspaper accounts remain (which again, is my point: practical usage will trump official usage anyway). I think they will actually call in George in public (I have never used one of my daughter's nicknames in public - the other one, we use all the time; rather like the royal family has done with William and Henry).

If they end up calling George "Alex" at home, I will bet that Next Royal Baby (if they intend a nickname) will have an official announcement.

Anyway, I've been properly trained here not to believe the press unless there is an actual announcement on the official website (see how time changes things? Different standards for 25 years ago...) So, I'll continue to ask for facts.

The point still is: nicknaming is more fluid than official naming; Wills and Harry both had nicknames (and who knows how many, actually?) - while only one had an official announcement.

Henry VIII was called Hal, without an official announcement (and there should be no debate about his nicknames - again probably not just one). If parents are determined to use another name than the official given name, it makes sense to announce it - but nicknames can arise in many ways (and without consistency across even the same set of parents).

I think part of the difference is the public vs. the private usage. William is always known and called William publicly (sure, some magazines and such sometimes call him Will or Wills, but they like to shorten names - easier to fit in a headline) , just as Harry is known as Harry . Nicknames are more fluid, but I think there's a clear difference between the way the boys' names/nicknames were meant to be used.

Yes, there's a clear difference. The category of "nicknames" is not one solid brick. There are various kinds.

William Rufus may never have heard his - but there it is (or maybe he did; historians disagree...and if Harry were to become King, I wonder if he would be in history books as Harry - or Henry; I'm guessing Henry IX).

There might be a footnote about his birth announcement and longterm use of the name "Harry" (or he could I suppose make himself King Harry I - but I doubt it, I seriously doubt it; he was almost barred from doing that by the official announcement itself "your real name is Henry; we will call you Harry").

Tell me how many other times that's happened, btw? Was that the only one??

Georgie is the most likely nickname. Geo is the Italian form of George and I have never heard of someone called George being called that as a nickname. Diana called William, Wills it wasn't just in headlines and Wombat got dropped in as well. Sometimes babies pick up nicknames along the way my nephew was called Monkey cause well he looked like a little monkey he is no 38 and in the family he is still Monkey. Nicknames are generally terms of affection they aren't meant for more formal things. No reason William and Kate won't have a little nickname for George if we find out about it could be another thing. I do think Georgie is probably the most obvious one and Georgie Porgy will no doubt at some stage be said to him. My sister was born Kathryn but she get's Kat she was Kathy growing up but somehow it just evolved. I'm in Oz everyone has a nickname mine is Sebastian (which isn't my name someone started calling me that years ago and does to this day) and my last name get's used as my nickname as well as a shortened version of my firstname which is what my family use. We know the Queen get's Lilybet, Princess Margaret got Margo within the family I remember reading they called Prince Edward, Scooter at some stage. I can't imagine Charles with a nickname or Anne to be honest but I bet Andrew has one. In time one may come out for little George.

In regards to Harry's name should he ever become King, I believe he would reign as King Henry IX. Reason being is an example we all saw last year during the Olympics when Harry officially closed the Olympic games for his grandmother. He was announced as Prince Henry of Wales. At birth they announced that his name IS Henry but will be known as Harry. So Henry it would be for anything official, formal and such.

Of course we all know everyone wants a Henry, they wouldn't have a Willie or a Sam.... hehe. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom