Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

What about Geoffrey? I keep suggesting it and nobody seems to respond.

I would also like Philip and Alexander; but Geoffrey would be an old royal name, and not used by anyone in the British Royal Family now...

Larry

I guess I should have meant used in the actual BRF and not by extended family members (None of those people have ever been members of the BRF IIRC). :p

Joseph and Paul have been consistently popular in Christian countries for the better part of a millennium. Names like Gabriel, Elijah, Joshua, or whatever have only become common in the 90's and 2000's and are the kind of "trendy" previously little-used Biblical names that seemed to become popular among middle-class suburban Americans in recent decades. I get that other royal families have used names like Gabriel, but I think they're allowed much more leeway to be trendier, especially for non-heirs.

In the UK, Joshua only became popular post 1970, Gabriel has never been popular, Elijah only recently popular. Joseph has never dipped below 60 in the past 100+ years.

Popular baby names - Top 100 baby names UK | BabyNames.co.uk

Peter may not have a royal title, but as 12th in line for the throne, and the son of the Princess Royal, he definitely is a member of the royal family.

Lord Nicholas Windsor is the youngest son of the Duke of Kent, a cousin of the queen, again another member of the BRF.

Your argument for Gabriel and Joshua was not that they were not that they were trendy, but were too Biblical. I pointed out Joseph and Paul were extremely biblical as well. If you are going to ax Gabriel and Joshua for being too Biblical, how did Joseph and Paul survive the cut off?

And whether Anthony was born a member of the BRF, his marriage to Princess Margrat, and his pictures as an official royal photographer, and his children David and Sarah, will always link him to the family.

Edward was in fact given the middle name Antony in honor of his Uncle.

Hi,

I would also like Philip and Alexander; but Geoffrey would be an old royal name, and not used by anyone in the British Royal Family now...

Larry

Sounds a bit too much like Joffrey from Game of Thrones for my taste

Edmond or Owen is very nice.

I think it's unlikely but I really do love Owen. It would be a nice nod to Wales and sounds appropriate for a King.

This is my favorite of the unusual/unlikely suggestions.

what about Christopher then? stephen is technically a royal name and all the bad connotations are pretty obscure by now

Last edited:
Since both William and Catherine studied in Scotland, I think a name of one of the Kings of Scotland might be chosen. Maybe David, Robert, Malcolm, Alexander or Duncan.

I love David or Robert!

Hi,

Larry

Like the name. Might be argued a bit foreign, and not a good history. Empress Mathilda's husband, the second being Henry II's son who openly rebelled against both him and Richard at different times. And was in league with the French.

There are three: Edward, Lord Downpatrick, born 1988; grandson of Duke of Kent.

So if the new baby is named James, there would be four James: James Ogilivy, James Severn, James Middleton, and Prince James of Cambridge.

If we're taking into consideration the descendants of KGV and the immediate Middleton family then:

- Alexander 5 if we include Xan: Alexander Lascelles, Alexandre Lascelles, Earl of Ulster, Lord Culliden, and Alexander Ogilvy
- Charles 2: PoW and Charles Armstrong-Jones
- David 2: David Armstrong-Jones and David Lascelles
- Edward 4: Edward Wessex, Edward Lascelles, Duke of Kent, and Lord Downpatrick
- Henry 2: Harry and Henry Lascelles
- James 4: James Severn, James Lascelles, James Ogilvy, and James Middleton
- Leo 2: Leo Lascelles and Leopoldo Windsor
- Michael 3 including Mike: Mike Tindall, Michael of Kent, and Michael Middleton

There's also 1 each of Albert, Andrew, Arthur, Frederick, George, Nicholas, Peter, and Richard (to name a few of the more popular names seen here).

Looking at the Spencers, there's another Charles (Earl Spencer), Frederick (Viscount Althorp), Alexander (Fellowes), and George (McCorquodale).

Alexander has certainly got some use but most of the public would have no idea about them. Geoffrey? All I can think when I hear that name is "wash your hands Geoffrey" from a soap commercial years ago. I like Joshua one of my favourite names. What about Louis? Christopher is really nice too. I think it's harder to choose boys names then girls, boys need to have strong manly sounding names. There is a reason why you don't see Cyril, Nigel and Clarence anymore. (Clarence was my brothers middle name he hated it)

Certain names....Percival, Humphry and Herald for instance-are perfectly fine and noble/royal names...but no. just no. not for a modern little prince.

If we're taking into consideration the descendants of KGV and the immediate Middleton family then:

- Alexander 5 if we include Xan: Alexander Lascelles, Alexandre Lascelles, Earl of Ulster, Lord Culliden, and Alexander Ogilvy
- Charles 2: PoW and Charles Armstrong-Jones
- David 2: David Armstrong-Jones and David Lascelles
- Edward 4: Edward Wessex, Edward Lascelles, Duke of Kent, and Lord Downpatrick
- Henry 2: Harry and Henry Lascelles
- James 4: James Severn, James Lascelles, James Ogilvy, and James Middleton
- Leo 2: Leo Lascelles and Leopoldo Windsor
- Michael 3 including Mike: Mike Tindall, Michael of Kent, and Michael Middleton

There's also 1 each of Albert, Andrew, Arthur, Frederick, George, Nicholas, Peter, and Richard (to name a few of the more popular names seen here).

Different generations should be taken into consideration. And some names are more likely as middle, like Michael, so no matter how many there are

Michael: youngest is 35 (Mike), the other two are 65 and 71
Alexander: Earl of Ulster is 39, Alexander Lascelles is 33, There is Alexander Lascelles who is 11, but as the grandson of the queen's cousin, is a very remote relative not like Viscount Severn
Henry: Harry is 28, Henry Lascelles is 60
Edward: Lascelles (31), Wessex (49), Kent (77) and even Lord Downpatrick is 24
David: Armstrong-Jones (51) and Lascelles (62)

Freddie (34), George (51), Nicholas (42), Peter (35), Richard (68), Andrew (53) are all older then the parents in question, so different generation

The only names, that Baby C would spend much time with as a child, would be James, and possibly are Albert and Arthur. Arthur Chatto is 14, and Albert is 6.

The cousin thing doesn't work when the terms are the same for both cousins. One set of relationships (the baby's) is going up the line...

Monarchist-US, I like your odds, although I think it's less than 1% for an entirely new name to the family. Prince Dakota or Prince Kenai or Prince Iakai just don't sound quite right. Nor does Prince Corey.

My guess is that William is going to surprise everyone. He is a traditionalist, but he is also very much his own man.

A surprise would be great ... my personal favourite: Jeremy!

In addition a name of his and another of her family tree and maybe someones name who was important to the couple, such as e.g. James for Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton. :flowers:

Different generations should be taken into consideration. And some names are more likely as middle, like Michael, so no matter how many there are...

Oh, I agree. I wasn't trying to do a "I hope they don't use X because Y number of cousins have that name." It was just a "this is how frequent various names are in this family."

William is supposed to have met privately with Phillip about a week ago.

Could it be that William was asking permission to name the baby Phillip?
Don't know it Phillip agreed or disagreed but..

Phillip Alexander Francis Victor Charles
Alexander Phillip Francis Charles

Phillip (paternal grandfather's middle name & greatgrandfather's 1st name)
Alexander (Masculine version of middle name of great grandmother.)
Francis (maternal grandfather's middle name & paternal grandmother's middle name.)
Victor (Masculine version of Victoria {William is said to have wanted a daughter})
Charles (grandfather's 1st name)

Last edited:
What about Louis?

Too French and we know what the French did to Louis XVI.

I know that Lord Mountbatten was Louis, as was his father, but it is still more associated with the French kings and given the history between France and England and separately Scotland, I am not sure Louis would be appropriate.

James Phillip Michael
To be affectionately known as Prince Jamie.
However, now we've seen baby Cambridge, he looks like a George to me.

Sounds a bit too much like Joffrey from Game of Thrones for my taste

or Joffrey de Peyrac from those fantastic French Angelique novels...

However, now we've seen baby Cambridge, he looks like a George to me.

I agree. What a strong-featured little fellow he's going to be, I believe.

I still would like a Prince James of Cambridge...
I think it's harder to choose boys names then girls, boys need to have strong manly sounding names. There is a reason why you don't see Cyril, Nigel and Clarence anymore.

Or names originally male, now more female: Jocelyn, Evelyn, Hilary...

Last edited:
I don't particularly care for the name Louis, but I don't think it would be so associated with the French, considering both Charles and Philip's relationships with Louis Mountbatten. And it is one of William's middle names, so I wouldn't dismiss it just yet.

Looking at Baby C, while Philip is still my favorite choice (you and I agree on the names, Osipi; the orders are just a hair different!), he also looks like an Alexander to me.

I think they will go back in time for a Royal name not used in awhile.

I still want a Prince Stephen of Cambridge or a Prince Edgar of Cambridge.
But, the sweet little boy does look like a Prince George :)

The cousin thing doesn't work when the terms are the same for both cousins. One set of relationships (the baby's) is going up the line...

Monarchist-US, I like your odds, although I think it's less than 1% for an entirely new name to the family. Prince Dakota or Prince Kenai or Prince Iakai just don't sound quite right. Nor does Prince Corey.

Well, by "entirely new" I was referring more to names not used for a royal (HRH) prince...so there's quite an assortment of rather traditional names that are new for a HRH, even if they are used by non-HRH members of the extended royal family. So mainly the names I suggested, like Christopher, Anthony, Peter, Paul, Nicholas.

The 4% names are ones like Arthur, Alfred, Frederick, etc. that have been used for HRH royal princes before but not for a British/English/Scottish monarch.

Obviously I know nothing about what's going on in their heads, but those are my guesstimates.

The chances of them picking something as bizarre as the ones in your post are probably zero! :lol:

The name Spencer seems to be a popular option {with Americans}.

If I was in Harry's position and had a son, I might use Spencer as a name. Not for the heir though.

Probably because making a surname (especially a family maiden name) into a first name is a American invention.

Not an American invention I'm particularly fond of, but it's pretty common (especially nowadays, in the Hollywood/middle-class quest for "uniqueness" :whistling:).

I think the BRF will choose to stick with actual first names.

Does anyone think the Royal Family would ever use the name Oliver

Obviously controversial to Cromwell but Oliver is an old traditional name, would they ever be brave enough to do it or is it a name that simply will never be used

Probably because making a surname (especially a family maiden name) into a first name is a American invention.

Not an American invention I'm particularly fond of, but it's pretty common (especially nowadays, in the Hollywood/middle-class quest for "uniqueness" :whistling:).

Not actually an American invention at all, although it may be enjoying an American revival right now.

The history of using family names as given names goes back to the Ancient Romans. In European culture many names that are now rather common given names started as surnames, and many surnames are simply variations of "son/grandson of [given name]."

Like the person above me said it is not a new or American invention. In the UK it has not been uncommon, especially amongst the aristocracy.

As an example, the husband of Jane Grey, was named Guildford(or Guilford) because it was his mother's maiden name.

Robert Rich, 1st Earl of Warwick, had a daughter named Essex who was named after her maternal grandfather, Walter Devereux (1st Earl of Essex).

Last edited:
Viscount Severn is Baby Cambridge's first cousin, once removed. Baby Cambridge is Viscount Severn's first cousin, once removed. I've been an amateur genealogist for a long time and that is how their relationship would be described by genealogists (at least all the genealogists I've heard/read). It is a common misconception that the children of one's first cousins are one's second cousins.

Genealogy.com: What is a First Cousin, Twice Removed?

Ok my last bid is

Albert after King George VI (to honour the Queen)

Philip after The Duke of Edinburgh

Charles after The Prince of Wales and Earl Spencer

Michael after Michael Middleton

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom