Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't Catherine want to name her baby son (if) after her father? Michael would be nice. Michael Edward George, for example.

Wouldn't Catherine want to name her baby son (if) after her father? Michael would be nice. Michael Edward George, for example.

Not necessarily. Not all women want to name their children after their father - the Queen didn't name any of her sons after her father (Charles and Andrew both have some of his names in their middle names).

Anne didn't give her son her father's name, nor did Sophie. Diana (reportedly) wanted to give William her father's name but it was (allegedly) nixed due to it being "cursed" in the BRF.

Until X has a name is it really all that wrong to call it the Prince(ss) of Camridge?

Yep, because The denotes a peerage. like The Princess of Wales, The Duchess of Cambridge. Baby C does not have a peerage, so like Harry is Prince Harry of Wales not the Prince of Wales, this baby is Prince/ss X of Cambridge.

Ish I believe Earl Spencer's first name was really Edward though he went by John. I could be wrong on that.

Yep, because The denotes a peerage. like The Princess of Wales, The Duchess of Cambridge. Baby C does not have a peerage, so like Harry is Prince Harry of Wales not the Prince of Wales, this baby is Prince/ss X of Cambridge.

Ish I believe Earl Spencer's first name was really Edward though he went by John. I could be wrong on that.

I agree that there's the problem with the The, but I think as the child has yet to be born or given a name calling it the (lower case) Prince(ss) of Cambridge is just an abbreviation of the more proper Prince(ss) X of Cambridge. Until the child is born and named I don't see it as being a huge deal - if it continues after the child is born and given a name then it's wrong, but for now? Not a huge deal.

You are right, the 8th Earl Spencer's full name was Edward John Spencer. According to Wikipedia he went by "Johnnie."

How about just "Johnnie," like we Southerners do. Lots of people have what others would call nicknames. This is not uncommon.

For example, the infamous John Edwards was named "Johnny" by his parents (or Johnny Ray - I forget which), and this is what was placed on his birth certificate. He changed it to John.

So, they could go with Charlie (or Charlie Ray), Bert, Eddie, Lizzie, Beth, Billy (named for his dad), Mike (named for the other granddad), and of course I could go on.

I agree that there's the problem with the The, but I think as the child has yet to be born or given a name calling it the (lower case) Prince(ss) of Cambridge is just an abbreviation of the more proper Prince(ss) X of Cambridge. Until the child is born and named I don't see it as being a huge deal - if it continues after the child is born and given a name then it's wrong, but for now? Not a huge deal.
The Prince(ss) of Cambridge is higher title than Prince(ss) X of Cambridge.
In fact it is higher title than the Duke of Cambridge.

The royals in the UK don't seem to often include names from the non-royal relatives. The Mountbattans have been honored, but then again Philip's family was royal as well, though foreign. Maybe with this generation we will see a change more towards like on the continent (In Denmark both Christian and Isabella have both grandparents names, the Triple A's all have a name from their mother's family, Estelle has Ewa).

Anne: maybe since her kids have no title, did give Mark some recognition
-Peter was for a friend of Mark, and then Mark and Andrew as middle
-Zara named by Charles, Anne is also Mark's mother's name, Elizabeth

The others, some names can be found in the non-royal family branches, but likely chosen for their royalness. Harry has Charles for his dad but also a Spencer name including his Uncle. Bea has Mary which is in Sarah's family including her mother's middle name, Louise has Mary and that is Sophie's mother's name, James has Theo which is a short form of an ancestor's name.

Kate's family has a lot of royal names, so could kill both (Charlotte, Elizabeth,James, William, Constance, Anne......)

The royals in the UK don't seem to often include names from the non-royal relatives. The Mountbattans have been honored, but then again Philip's family was royal.

I noticed that too, to my dismay, because the pool of royal names is very narrow and quite boring. However, given the fact that William has been seen as a more modern future monarch, I can see him breaking that little rule. After all, Michael and Charlotte are good, traditional, conservative names, nothing horrendous like Harper Seven or Blue Ivy.

My least favorite, however, would be Arthur (sounds very German) or Philip, which, although quite nice, has a certain weakness to it, probably stemming from the phonetic f.

Anne: maybe since her kids have no title, did give Mark some recognition
-Peter was for a friend of Mark, and then Mark and Andrew as middle

I believe Peter was named for his paternal grandfather, Major Peter William Garside Phillips.

I believe Peter was named for his paternal grandfather, Major Peter William Garside Phillips.

I didn't realize Mark's father's name was Peter. For some reason I remember hearing somewhere it was a family friend's name.:doh:

I noticed that too, to my dismay, because the pool of royal names is very narrow and quite boring. However, given the fact that William has been seen as a more modern future monarch, I can see him breaking that little rule. After all, Michael and Charlotte are good, traditional, conservative names, nothing horrendous like Harper Seven or Blue Ivy.

My least favorite, however, would be Arthur (sounds very German) or Philip, which, although quite nice, has a certain weakness to it, probably stemming from the phonetic f.

Arthur sounds German? :ohmy: Latin name, though may have links to Irish or Welsh. Beyond England, the only foreign royal by the name was Arthur of Brittany that I remember, and he was a nephew of Richard I.

not that it is going to happen phillipa would tick every box.

not that it is going to happen phillipa would tick every box.

Except for being a British Royal name.

While Prince Philip is a member of the BRF, his name is not a British Royal one. It's more of a German one.

well, yes, a medieval queens and a few royals had that name.

Last edited:
Except for being a British Royal name.

While Prince Philip is a member of the BRF, his name is not a British Royal one. It's more of a German one.

There have been Philippa's in the BRF. And if we are going to rule out names that weren't originally British royal names, Albert and Victoria will have to be axed from the top of the list.

Philippa of Hainnault- wife of Edward III
Philippa Plantaganent- Edward III's granddaughter by his son Lionel. She is the grandmother of Anne Mortimer, who in turn was grandother of Edward IV and Richard III.
Philippa of Lancaster-daughter of John Gaunt

Philip is Greek, not German, means horse lover.

Arthur sounds German? :ohmy: Latin name, though may have links to Irish or Welsh. Beyond England, the only foreign royal by the name was Arthur of Brittany that I remember, and he was a nephew of Richard I.

I am biased: I have 3 German childhood friends named Arthur. :ohmy:

Maybe they will bring back a really well known, old fashioned/dull name that has lost popularity for babies these days -

Jane Elizabeth Rosa
Mary Ruth Louisa
Alistair Bruce Arthur Francis
David Geoffrey Charles Michael

Philippa Plantaganent- Edward III's granddaughter by his son Lionel. She is the grandmother of Anne Mortimer, who in turn was grandother of Edward IV and Richard III.
Philippa of Lancaster-daughter of John Gaunt.

If the baby is named Phillippa, would they call her Pippa? :lol:

you know they would nickname her to separate her from her aunt and grandad so she would be one of those.

Last edited:
Phillippe in Belgium, Phillipa in the UK, July would be declared the month of Phillips. :))

and spain, sort of. it's a good strong name and 'friend of horses' ...what could be more fitting for a little Windsor?

There have been Philippa's in the BRF. And if we are going to rule out names that weren't originally British royal names, Albert and Victoria will have to be axed from the top of the list.

Philippa of Lancaster-daughter of John Gaunt

Philip is Greek, not German, means horse lover.

Thank you for pointing out the Philippas - I stand corrected.

It's not very common for new names to be introduced to the BRF in the heir apparent, which this baby is (or... The heir apparent of the heir apparent to the heir apparent). Victoria was never the heir apparent, and her introduction of Albert to the common royal names was nothing short of an obsession with her husband and a fair bit of narcissism on her part.

What is far more common in the BRF is that a non-BRF name is given to someone who isn't in the direct line of succession and isn't expected to ever become monarch, and then circumstances change and he/she does become monarch. That's how Victoria got into the BRF. Look at the Queen - she had two children born in succession and given BRF names, then had a second son and gave him the name of a non-BRF.

Oh, yes, I forgot about Spain, how could I? The media will have a ball distinguishing between them royals when broadcasting news.

to be honest, in America the British RF is the only one the vast majority know or care about other than the occasional Princess Grace fan- including the media. the Swedish chef might as well be heir to the Swedish throne and lets not even talk about the Netherlands...

Thank you for pointing out the Philippas - I stand corrected.

It's not very common for new names to be introduced to the BRF in the heir apparent, which this baby is (or... The heir apparent of the heir apparent to the heir apparent). Victoria was never the heir apparent, and her introduction of Albert to the common royal names was nothing short of an obsession with her husband and a fair bit of narcissism on her part.

What is far more common in the BRF is that a non-BRF name is given to someone who isn't in the direct line of succession and isn't expected to ever become monarch, and then circumstances change and he/she does become monarch. That's how Victoria got into the BRF. Look at the Queen - she had two children born in succession and given BRF names, then had a second son and gave him the name of a non-BRF.

Victoria may not have been heir apparent, but they knew there was a high chance she would be queen. Charlotte was dead, and there was a rush of the remaining unmarried brothers, to marry and have a legitamite child. It was why a number of names for Victoria were vetoed, and her first name was Alexandrina. The Prince Regent didn't think certain names were quite suitable for the possible queen.

to be honest, in America the British RF is the only one the vast majority know or care about other than the occasional Princess Grace fan- including the media. the Swedish chef might as well be heir to the Swedish throne and lets not even talk about the Netherlands...

It may be a cultural/language matter.

Canada is much the same, with the exception of the Dutch. Except when royals wed, or visit us, the BRF are the only ones to make the news here. Because Bea and her sisters lived in Canada during the war with their mother, and one was born here, we have a connection to the Dutch royals.

Victoria may not have been heir apparent, but they knew there was a high chance she would be queen. Charlotte was dead, and there was a rush of the remaining unmarried brothers, to marry and have a legitamite child. It was why a number of names for Victoria were vetoed, and her first name was Alexandrina. The Prince Regent didn't think certain names were quite suitable for the possible queen.

Are you sure that's why they were vetoed?

The names vetoed reportedly included Georgina, Charlotte, and Augusta - all names already seen in the BRF (well, Georgina being a female version of George), and Charlotte being the name the Prince Regent used for his own daughter.

The way I've always read that story it seems more like the Prince Regent was just being a dick and trying to have his niece given a less-royal name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom