Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Violet is one of the "old lady names" which have been recently coming back into fashion. I don't think it's unusual enough, or those actors sufficiently high-profile, for its popularity to be affected.

What has always surprised me is that the name Diana never really rose in popularity after Lady Diana Spencer appeared on the scene.

I could care less if you made fun of my name as long as you spell it right. I haven't seen my name (real name) mentioned. Which is Michele but I can't see the Royal family using it.

Names: Elizabeth Diana Carole Alexandra
Philip Charles Arthur George. ( I want to put Henry in there but it doesn't sound right in my head.

For GodParents I say
Prince Harry
PIppa
Zara
I could see Eugenie or Beatrice there but I wouldn't hedge my bets on it.

Your boy name is what Diana said during her wedding vows switching Charles's first 2 names. Charles's name: Charles Phillip Arthur George.

William and Catherine may surprise us with a more unusual first name but I would love a little Elizabeth who I would call Elizabeth because I have never been a fan of Liz or Betty and I do think Alexandra is very regal sounding. I wonder if they will say a nickname if they plan to go that route? You know like Harry is Prince Henry but it was made known from day 1 he would be known as Prince Harry? i think they probably have a short list and like most parents are waiting until the baby is born to decide. You might think this is funny but sometimes I see names as being better on blondes and some more suited to Brunettes. Like Melody is blonde sounding name to me etc.

Yes - I have an Elisabeth - I have always loved the name. I thought long about naming her that, as I wanted an Elisabeth, not a Liz, Beth, Betty, etc., because I love the name itself! She is called Elisabeth almost exclusively. Her older sister has a "sister nickname" for her, sometimes calling her Lily.... But at school, with friends, family, etc. it has remained her full name.

I know a really cute Violet, who is 11 years old. She has violet-rimmed glasses. She plays baseball on my grandson's Little League co-ed team. They will separate girls and boys next year so I won't see Violet as much.

I know a really cute Violet, who is 11 years old. She has violet-rimmed glasses. She plays baseball on my grandson's Little League co-ed team. They will separate girls and boys next year so I won't see Violet as much.

The portuguese variant of the name "Violet" is "Violeta", but isn't a very popular name nowadays. Although it's a very common name for older women.

I have a great-aunt called Violet. A 98 years old spinster with no sense of humour, who lives in a very somber mansion.

Last edited:
I think the name Violet became more popular after Jennifer Garner and Ben Afleck gave it to their daughter.

Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, had an older sister named Violet Hyacinth Bowes-Lyon who died before she was born. So the name does have a connection in the royal family. I like the name Violet as a middle name and as a pairing with the "V" in Victoria, such as Charlotte Victoria Diana Violet.

I'm uneasy about the name Violet as it's only one letter away from Violent :ermm:

Big difference between Violet and violent, in pronunciation. Now a name like Violant as can be found in the old Spanish kingdoms, is much more uncomfortably close.

i think we all can expect for a girl: Charlotte, Alexandra, Mary, Elizabeth, Victoria, Alice, Anne, Alice... I think this are the most likely though...
For a boy: unfortunately George... I hope they can think of Arthur and Richard, I absolutely love those names, they are regal and majestic.

Charlotte is a classy name but its too girly for me lol. Mary is too plain. Alexandra is nice. So are Elizabeth and Victoria ...

I like the boy name George (good reason behind it too) or Arthur (because prince Charles reportedly wanted to name William Arthur instead)

With Baby Cambridge about to be born at anytime now Here are the First Names that have been said the most over the last 7 Month

For Girls:
Elizabeth
Alexandria
Victoria
Mary
Catherine

Honorable Mentions:
Carole
Diana
Louise
Charlotte
Margaret

For Boys:
Philip
George
Arthur
William
Edward

Honorable Mentions:
Alfred
Albert
Charles
Michael

Charlotte is a classy name but its too girly for me lol. Mary is too plain. Alexandra is nice. So are Elizabeth and Victoria ...

Queen Mary III does not sound plain at all, though ;) I like the idea of having Princess Mary Alexandra of Cambridge who would ascend as Queen Mary III, but there haven't been any double-barrelled British royals in ages and I suspect that is not a coincidence.

I have a hunch that the Baby Cambridge will be a boy, so I think Philip Charles Michael Albert would make a nice name. If the baby is a girl, I am thinking Victoria/Alexandra Elizabeth Caroline Frances.
I would love a Princess Victoria, though!!!
Therefore,
HRH Prince Philip Charles Michael Albert of Cambridge
or
HRH Princess Victoria Elizabeth Caroline Frances of Cambridge/HRH Princess Alexandra Elizabeth Caroline Frances of Cambridge
For Godparents my guess would be Pippa Middletion, Prince Harry, Zara or Peter Phillips, one of the Princesses of York, maybe one of the Van Custem brothers or someone from the Greek Royal Family. Just my thoughts. :)

It would be nice to honor Sophia of Hanover or Charlotte of Wales, both women would've been Monarchs on their each respective eras if they didn't die before ascending to the throne.

For me, the most regal numbering name is Queen Mary III, its so gorgeous, regal and majestic, even more than Queen Victoria II, or Queen Elizabeth III, or Queen Anne II (and I like all of them, but they don't beat Mary the Third)

I have a hunch that the Baby Cambridge will be a boy, so I think Philip Charles Michael Albert would make a nice name. If the baby is a girl, I am thinking Victoria/Alexandra Elizabeth Caroline Frances.
I would love a Princess Victoria, though!!!
Therefore,
HRH Prince Philip Charles Michael Albert of Cambridge
or
HRH Princess Victoria Elizabeth Caroline Frances of Cambridge/HRH Princess Alexandra Elizabeth Caroline Frances of Cambridge
For Godparents my guess would be Pippa Middletion, Prince Harry, Zara or Peter Phillips, one of the Princesses of York, maybe one of the Van Custem brothers or someone from the Greek Royal Family. Just my thoughts. :)

Your choices are my favorites too. The less ridiculous, and more probable, names seen here for ages...

Unfortunately, when I hear Queen Mary, I think of "Bloody Mary" .... NOT good! Up to this point I have not registered a preference but I would dearly love an Alexandra if the baby is a girl. And honestly, I'm rather tired of "George". I think a King Philip would be lovely but of course it doesn't have a history AND even if given the name it does not necessarily mean that Philip would be used as King.

Unfortunately, when I hear Queen Mary, I think of "Bloody Mary" .... NOT good! Up to this point I have not registered a preference but I would dearly love an Alexandra if the baby is a girl. And honestly, I'm rather tired of "George". I think a King Philip would be lovely but of course it doesn't have a history AND even if given the name it does not necessarily mean that Philip would be used as King.[/

tired of George? You have one great George in Your history at least. Philip does have a history in Gb and its Spanish! As a Brit, when I hear Mary I think of Queen Mary , wife of George V and someone who dedicated her life to the Crown. alexandra,of course, is best known for the Danish Queen Consort of Edward VII

It doesnt matter what you think or what I think. I dont believe history matters a huge amount, and other royal families arent even registering.

all I want is a well baby, a well mother, a relaxed and happy dad and a name that is not a burden.

and soon, please - make it soon.

When I hear Queen Mary I think of the wife of George V. Mary would be a nice name so would Alexandra. I think both were two of the most interesting Queens in recent history.

Last edited:
I think a King Philip would be lovely but of course it doesn't have a history AND even if given the name it does not necessarily mean that Philip would be used as King.

It does have a history. King Philip II would be a namesake of Queen Mary I's husband and co-ruler. That connection, however, would not be one to brag about :whistling:

A "George" story. I'm doing this cos this thread has gone on for ever and I hope the mods forgive me. But it shows how universal names are - kind of.

We had an American friend who was working as a pilot in Switzerland so off we went to see him. V lucky, as he was based in Lugano, on the lake a few miles from northern Italy.

Every Sunday, the local (rich) people would take their dogs and their mink coats for a walk along side the lake. We also went for same walk (sans dogs or mink). We spotted in one of the small parks which dot the lakeside a white marble bust, on a pedestal.

WE were amazed when we saw the inscription "Georgio Washington".

No one in the town could explain why this statue was there. But Georgio is looking out, over Lake Lugano, which is a place of great beauty.

Would naming the child Philip bring up any numbering issues at all?

Some consider Philip and Mary (I) to be a coregency along the lines of William (III) and Mary (II), and indeed laws were published under the name "Philip and Mary." Unlike William III, however, he didn't get the throne after his wife's death.

Regnal years of English monarchs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mary I married the Hapsburg prince Philip (future Philip II of Spain) on 25 July 1554, who was promptly made co-ruler of England. Their joint reign is officially referred to as "Philip and Mary", but the numbering of their regnal years is not reset to 1 for both, but rather retained separately for each. So the first year of "Philip and Mary", which begins on 25 July 1554, is officially referred to as "1 & 2" (1st year of Philip, 2nd year of Mary).

So the (potential) numbering issue would be...would the child reign as just plain "Philip", not counting the supposed coregency, or "Philip II", considering his reign as "King" a (brief) coregency?

It sure seems like there would be the precedent for "Philip II", seeing as Philip was treated as a ruler under the laws of the time (unlike other disputed rulers like Jane Grey), and William III was given an ordinal as coregent with Mary II.

Last edited:
They could get round it by using two names. Like the French king Philip Augustus, for example.

HRH Prince Alexander Philip Louis James

Well as Cambidges are having a girl, Michaela Charlotte Frances Victoria is a wonderful name for a future queen! My congrats to the couple on the 'eve' of their first-born's birthday!

Michaela is a pretty name for Mr and Mrs Smith's baby,but not a future monarch IMO.

Hope its a girl, but we don't know, or if tomorrow is the day they will be born.

Yeah I don't see Michaela. I would love for them to think out of the box but both are pretty traditional so chances are the babies name will be too. Princess Charlotte, Elizabeth and Alexandra are my faves. I find Mary kind of boring and too common for a name. Victories I'm not keen on but being it's a name Prince Charles has always liked I'm thinking there is a chance for her to be called that. I like George (well I like George Clooney LOL) and I think Phillip would be a lovely tribute to Prince Phillip who has been ill lately. I wondered about John being a middle name for a boy after the boys other Grandfather. They could surprise us all with their first name choice which would be nice although the bookies would be a little mad. LOL Let's hope we know soon.

I would name the prince after the godparents, in whatever order: Peter, Alexander, Edward, Henry. David is my favorite name for an heir, and there is also a godparent available in the RF for David. I think Peter would be grand, not only having an available godfather in the RF, but to honor Catherine's grandfather who served with, I think, Prince Phillip. Four or five godfathers at the ready.

Yeah I don't see Michaela. I would love for them to think out of the box but both are pretty traditional so chances are the babies name will be too. Princess Charlotte, Elizabeth and Alexandra are my faves. I find Mary kind of boring and too common for a name. Victories I'm not keen on but being it's a name Prince Charles has always liked I'm thinking there is a chance for her to be called that. I like George (well I like George Clooney LOL) and I think Phillip would be a lovely tribute to Prince Phillip who has been ill lately. I wondered about John being a middle name for a boy after the boys other Grandfather. They could surprise us all with their first name choice which would be nice although the bookies would be a little mad. LOL Let's hope we know soon.

Michaela is a beautiful name; it would the be to honor Catherine's father, Michael Francis Middleton. It would be definitely outside the box though. I believe the name 'John' has been sworn off by the BRF. Those in the BRF with this name have met early demises. The last prince with the name in the BRF was HM's uncle, who I believe passed away at age 14. It has been said Diana wanted to name HRH the DoC John, but HM did not allow it.

Michaela is a pretty name for Mr and Mrs Smith's baby,but not a future monarch IMO.

Hope its a girl, but we don't know, or if tomorrow is the day they will be born.

That is why the word eve was in quotation marks. Maybe Her Royal Highness will not be born tomorrow, but it will be soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom