Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In fact, Princess Alexandrina Victoria's uncle, the Prince Regent was the one who forbade the Duke and Duchess of Kent to name their daughter with names like Georgiana, Augusta and Charlote, so they came up with Alexandrinha Victoria.

The grandfather, King George III, wasn't able to take nothing in consideration by the time his granddaughter was born. The King was completly mad.

Yes. In fact, the naming discussion actually occurred at her christening, with the Prince Regent denying the names as they brought them up...

I like Alice. It seems both steeped in history, yet fresh at the same time. Actually, my mother-in-law is named Alice. I would have loved to have used it as a baby name, but we are Jewish and only use names of those who have left us, and she is very much still with us!

Yes. In fact, the naming discussion actually occurred at her christening, with the Prince Regent denying the names as they brought them up...

I think it must have been an awful situation. I would have tried to drown the Prince Regent in the font, if I were the Duchess of Kent.:lol:

I like Alice. It seems both steeped in history, yet fresh at the same time. Actually, my mother-in-law is named Alice. I would have loved to have used it as a baby name, but we are Jewish and only use names of those who have left us, and she is very much still with us!

I know, I'm also a Jew. My mother would like to name me after my grandfather, but Grandpa Schneider is, thanks to God, still with us.

Last edited:
I do like Alice and Alexandra too and Charlotte I'm not as keen on Victoria because I hate how it's shortened to Vicky. Hopefully we will know soon enough. I do like George for a boy but not Richard which can be shortened to Dick too many bad jokes with that name. I doubt they would name him Charles but I think Phillip would be nice as a first name or second. Of course they could surprise us and use something else and have traditional middle names for the baby to choose to reign with. I doubt it cause Catherine and William both seem pretty traditional but you never know. Maybe Catherine has a name she always loved for a baby? I doubt it would be a stupid name like Blue Ivy or North but maybe something more up to date.

I know, I'm also a Jew. My mother would like to name me after my grandfather, but Grandpa Schneider is, thanks to God, still with us.

Names for a future generation I suppose...

I am not fond of Vicky either... However, Tori is kind of cute. I also like Ali or Alix as a nickname for Alexandra.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not fond of Vicky either... However, Tori is kind of cute. I also like Ali or Alix as a nickname for Alexandra.

My boyfriend's grandmother is a Victoria and she's called Vic by everyone. It suits her, although I wouldn't like it for anyone else.

I think I heard that Will and Kate are waiting to see the baby to give it a name. I like that Idea. Have a list of suitable names to give you something to draw on but wait and let babyc be the decider.

I think I heard that Will and Kate are waiting to see the baby to give it a name. I like that Idea. Have a list of suitable names to give you something to draw on but wait and let babyc be the decider.

I'm sure they have a "short list" of both boy and girl names but waiting to name a royal heir is not unusual. We did not know William's name until a week after he was born. Same with Harry. I also think it was the same with Charles. So, even after this babe is born we will still have some frenzy about the name.

I would like to thank some of the posters for disparaging my nickname - Vicki. Please remember how your comments sound to those of us with a name that you "hate." #rude

I would like to thank some of the posters for disparaging my nickname - Vicki. Please remember how your comments sound to those of us with a name that you "hate." #rude

That's fair. And one of my favorite characters in literature was a Vicky- Vicky Austin from the Madeleine L'Engle books

I have had my name on several list's of names people hate as it's deemed "common" it isn't something to take personally. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. It's called an opinion and unless it's someone making fun of a name it's hardly rude. The press have a habit of making up some awful nicknames and it's something someone in William and Catherines position do need to think about. For instance Richard can be called Dick can you imagine how much fun the press would have with that?

You are coming across are rather sensitive. People may dislike/hate a name - that doesn't mean they dislike or hate a person with that name.

Vicky and its various derivatives reminds me of one of the most obnoxious students I have ever taught and whenever I hear the name I think of that child - hence I really dislike the name. I have taught one or two other Vickys but they have been rather nondescript students who although pleasant and well-behaved have really lacked personality or charisma - so for me the name Vicky is a name I think of as a name that has nothing to recommend it.

The name Alexandra on the other hand I associate with the brightest and cutest little girl I taught in my first year of teaching - she basically ran my classroom for me and made a very new teacher feel welcome into a new career and city - a big ask for a 7 year old. I have taught other Alexandras since then and some have been rather naughty and one quite a vicious young lady but I also associate the name with the first little cutie with the big brown eyes and the widest smile - so for me that is a name I simply think is lovely.

My own name is another I would never give to another person because besides it being my name it is also the name of a colleague who is the nastiest piece of work I have ever come across.

Names we like or dislike are often due to real people we know with those names.

Last edited:

Get over yourself. I've had people say stupid things about my name to my face and I wasn't bothered. Some people will love one name and others will hate the same one. No big deal. My name is Maria Magdalena and I wouldn't care if anyone on here said it was horrible.

How likely are the possibilities that the Tom Parker Bowles or Laura Lopes are among the godparents?

I would think that Tom and Laura aren't likely choices for this baby maybe future ones. If they pick Harry and Pippa, you only have 4 slots open if they go with the standard six godparents.

My wish for girl names would be Alice, Charlotte, Elizabeth, or Alexandra. For boys I like Alexander, James, George, Charles, or Phillip.

There's a difference between people not liking the name, and people insulting you as a person. The latter never happened. My name is Elizabeth Alexandra, and over the years I've had more than a few people tell me the names together make me sound pretentious. Forget the fact that I didn't choose my names, my parents did.

All some people have said is that they don't like the nickname "Vicki/Vicky." I don't like that particular nickname either, because when I hear "Vicky", I think of words that rhyme with it like sicky and icky, and therefore if I know someone named Victoria, I just call them Victoria. That doesn't mean I hate people named Vicky or that I would make fun of them or call them names or otherwise be rude to them.

I think you're taking this a bit too seriously. Everyone has likes and dislikes when it comes to names.

Well, I like 'Vicky', it has no negative associations for me. I believe Queen Victoria's eldest daughter was called Vicky within the family.

If you don't like Vicky, call the baby Victoria if that is their name. Liking or not liking a name is personal. Now if you hate the person, because of their name, then that is a problem.

Yes Queen Vic's daughter was called Vicky. Many of those named Victoria while she was alive, either went by their middle name, or a nickname. Edward VII's daughter Victoria went by Toria. Victoria Eugenie was often called Ena, the last of her middle names.

I'm sure they have a "short list" of both boy and girl names but waiting to name a royal heir is not unusual. We did not know William's name until a week after he was born. Same with Harry. I also think it was the same with Charles. So, even after this babe is born we will still have some frenzy about the name.
Actually, Harry's names were announced the day after he was born - the day the family left the hospital for Kensington Palace.

There's a difference between people not liking the name, and people insulting you as a person. The latter never happened. My name is Elizabeth Alexandra, and over the years I've had more than a few people tell me the names together make me sound pretentious. Forget the fact that I didn't choose my names, my parents did.

All some people have said is that they don't like the nickname "Vicki/Vicky." I don't like that particular nickname either, because when I hear "Vicky", I think of words that rhyme with it like sicky and icky, and therefore if I know someone named Victoria, I just call them Victoria. That doesn't mean I hate people named Vicky or that I would make fun of them or call them names or otherwise be rude to them.

I think you're taking this a bit too seriously. Everyone has likes and dislikes when it comes to names.

I actually never said that anyone disparaged people, just the name-but please understand that it is hurtful when someone points out all the faults with your name. Sorry if this seems sensitive.

There's kind of two sides to this discussion.

On the one hand, names are largely one of those subjective things. No name is horrible (except for maybe North West), each one is just a name that some people will like and others won't. It's like food - you might like the sound or look or meaning behind it, or you might not.

On the other hand, it really does suck to hear a lot of people say how much they hate your name, even if it's not directed at you. For a lot of people, our names are part of our identity. We are our names, and to be told that someone hates it - whatever it is and whatever reason they have for it - can hurt.

We should remember when commenting on names we dislike that someone has that as a name and part of their identity - and that someone might be reading your comments. At the same time, when hearing someone critique a name that happens to be yours, we should remember that it's not a critique addressed to you and chances are whoever's making said critique doesn't realize it's your name.

Since the majority of us don't use our real names shock my names not really Meadow then chances are we will hit on a few peoples real names. My name has been mocked and disparaged but I'm not making an issue out of it because I understand it's not directed at me personally. I've also had so much other stuff thrown at me in life people not liking my name just isn't important.
William and Catherine may surprise us with a more unusual first name but I would love a little Elizabeth who I would call Elizabeth because I have never been a fan of Liz or Betty and I do think Alexandra is very regal sounding. I wonder if they will say a nickname if they plan to go that route? You know like Harry is Prince Henry but it was made known from day 1 he would be known as Prince Harry? i think they probably have a short list and like most parents are waiting until the baby is born to decide. You might think this is funny but sometimes I see names as being better on blondes and some more suited to Brunettes. Like Melody is blonde sounding name to me etc.

I could care less if you made fun of my name as long as you spell it right. I haven't seen my name (real name) mentioned. Which is Michele but I can't see the Royal family using it.

Names: Elizabeth Diana Carole Alexandra
Philip Charles Arthur George. ( I want to put Henry in there but it doesn't sound right in my head.

For GodParents I say
Prince Harry
PIppa
Zara
I could see Eugenie or Beatrice there but I wouldn't hedge my bets on it.

Last edited:
My name, Mariel, is what I use as my screen name here. It is sufficiently unusual that I have met, in person, only one other Mariel in my life, when I was in college. The other Mariel was nicknamed Mel. I'm glad I have never been Mel. I have been Maire, so-called by Irish or Irish-loving relatives. I do not care a whole lot for my name but it's handy to be able to sign only one name and have most people know who it is. Even though I like my last name a lot (my married name) and am so glad I got it.

I presume the royal Cambridges will not use a name as unusual as mine for their baby. If they do use an unusual name, it won't be unusual long.

I presume the royal Cambridges will not use a name as unusual as mine for their baby. If they do use an unusual name, it won't be unusual long.

I don't think that's necessarily the case.

Despite "royal patronage", the name Eugenie has never become popular, and although Beatrice is becoming popular now, it's taken about 25 years to catch on :).

Some people will actually avoid using the Cambridge baby's name because they won't want to be seen as copycats, even if the name was previously on their shortlist. It is the same with celeb babies, people do get put off using these names.

I don't think that's necessarily the case.

Despite "royal patronage", the name Eugenie has never become popular, and although Beatrice is becoming popular now, it's taken about 25 years to catch on :).

Some people will actually avoid using the Cambridge baby's name because they won't want to be seen as copycats, even if the name was previously on their shortlist. It is the same with celeb babies, people do get put off using these names.

I think that depends on who the celebrity is. I think the name Violet became more popular after Jennifer Garner and Ben Afleck gave it to their daughter (though not necesarily because). However I don't think the name North will ever become popular. Especially now.. and that has more to do with her parents than with the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom