Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone see any other royalty outside of the UK in the running for godparent?

I personally, think not. William does not seem close to the related royals across the channel and given the curent political climate, there is not advantage to it.

What do you all think?

Prince Pavlos possibly as William is godfather of one of his children.

I think the only real choice of non-UK royals would be someone from the Greek Royal Family.

If a royal who isn't from the UK is chosen as one of Baby Cambridge's godparents, then I also think it will be Pavlos. I like the idea of royals from other countries as godparents, but I think they will choose two family members and then friends. I also think the Countess of Wessex would be a good choice for a godparent as William and Catherine seem to get on well with her.

Last edited:
Elizabeth Alexandra Victoria Francesca
Phillip Charles Edmund Francis

Zara Phillips godmother
Maybe one of the York girls
Does Kate have any cousin?
I see cousins more than siblings being godparents.

Kate has 2 first cousins Lucy and Adam from her dad side. Uncle Gary has a teenage daughter . Lucy and Adam were at Kate bday shindig this year went they went to see Circe du Solie. I would think Zara and Peter have better shots than the Yorkies. William seems closer to them then Bea and Eugiene who seem to interact more with Harry.

Kate has 2 first cousins Lucy and Adam from her dad side. Uncle Gary has a teenage daughter . Lucy and Adam were at Kate bday shindig this year went they went to see Circe du Solie. I would think Zara and Peter have better shots than the Yorkies. William seems closer to them then Bea and Eugiene who seem to interact more with Harry.

I think William and Kate like Zara a lot (just through what I see in pictures - but they do seem to seek her out and then kvetch). So I think and hope they pick her. Plus how cool is it to have an Olympic medalist for a godparent!

Beyond that, I know the Harry bond is solid, but I see it as a house of cards.

Zara would be a cool godparent. You see her constantly playing with Savannah making her laugh. Plus she can teach baby C to ride a horse.

I'd love to see them name the baby Georgiana; not only would it be unexpected, but also a nod to all the Kings George, as well as to the second most famous (infamous?) woman to come from the Spencer family--The Duchess of Devonshire:

Georgiana Frances Elizabeth Victoria

Yes, because infamous is the way to go.

They may do what CP Victoria and Prince Daniel of Sweden did in naming their daughter Estelle - use a minor royal name. Has there ever been a British regent's name that wasn't a "royal staple" name?

No, the heirs have usually very traditional British royal names. Sometimes a younger child will gain a less traditional. Andrew for instance was named for his Greek paternal grandfather. George III had some unusual names, like Adolphus and Octavius (who was named as he was their eighth son and his name meant eight in Latin).

For the first born will be traditional, the UK royals are far more conservative IMO then the Swedes. A king, queen reignant/consort I see being chosen. For a second child, a more unique name from the family tree. The only unique name I could see (in it not being the name of a reignant or consort) is Alice, as it is not only for Philip's mother but is found through the royal tree, including Victoria's daughter. Something like Georgina, while pretty, I don't see even for a second child. They may branch out more in the family tree, but I don't see them going that far and that common. If they wanted to honor the Georges, IMO it will be a son named George.

Princess Alexandra Diana Caroline Elizabeth

Prince Arthur Philip Charles Michael

Carole instead of Caroline aside, I'll be shocked if the middle names are not used. The first name is the one I am unsure about. I hope they don't use any of the middle names as a first, the baby should have his or her own identity.

I really, really hope the baby is a girl, so I'm not even going to bother to suggest boys names.

I would love her to be named either Mathilda or Eleanor, after two of my favorite royal queens, Empress Mathilda or Eleanor of Aquitaine.

However, I think they will go a bit safer than that, and she will have either Mary, Alexandra or Victoria as her first name. Elizabeth will be one of her middle names, as will Caroline (nod to Kate's mum and other Brit Queens). Diana will not be used (saved for Harry to use maybe?). Frances instead maybe?

Mary Elizabeth Caroline Frances
Alexandra Elizabeth Caroline Frances
Victoria Elizabeth Caroline Frances

Prince Pavlos possibly as William is godfather of one of his children.

King Constantine is William's godfather also. Perhaps Princess Marie-Olympia may be chosen as a godmother???

They may do what CP Victoria and Prince Daniel of Sweden did in naming their daughter Estelle - use a minor royal name. Has there ever been a British regent's name that wasn't a "royal staple" name?

The British - particularly the English - don't have a long history of using new names for heirs. Since William I there have been 15 names used for regnants, 9 male and 6 female. In terms of the firsts, each one of the female names belonged to someone who wasn't intended at birth to become a monarch owing to their gender. In regards to the rest... Well, most of them weren't intended on becoming monarchs either, owing to their position in the line of succession.

William I conquered while Henry I and Stephen each seized the throne. Richard I, John, and Charles I, (and Henry I for that matter) were all younger brothers, while James I and George I were both cousins of a monarch who died without issue. This leaves Edward I as the only English/British monarch born as the heir to have an "original" name since the conquest.

The Scottish kings have a bit more variation, but it also goes back a lot farther and didn't always follow primogeniture - a lot of names were introduced because second sons followed their elder brothers in the succession. By the time primogeniture was being followed, however, we do see that the firsts were people who weren't meant to inherit - Margaret was a granddaughter (and through a female line), John was a great-great grandson of a previous monarch, Robert I was a great-great-great grandson of that same monarch and was elected/a conqueror, James I was a younger son, and Mary was a daughter.

I think that we should get away from traditional royal names.
I fancy Josephine for a girl, [ Jo for short]
Alexander for a boy.

If it must be traditional
David or Michael for a boy

Mary or Victoria for a girl

NOT Ann, Diana or Elizabeth

Caroline would also pay tribute to The Prince of Wales. I'm definitely not a fan of Matilda but Eleanor is very nice. I like Louise but that's taken by the Earl of Wessex's daughter. Elisabeth with an 's' instead of a 'z' would be a little different from HM but would still honor her. For many reasons, I don't think we'll see 'Diana' in the mix at all. There are so many great names for boys that I would have a hard time in choosing one let alone several!

For a girl

Princess Charlotte Frances Elizabeth Victoria (in some order)

For a boy

Prince David Charles Philip Michael

Is this thread about what we would like the baby to be named or what we think the baby will be named?

If the latter is correct, then I have to say the baby will certainly not have Elisabeth, Josephine, Matilda, Eleanor, Francesca (?!) or Michael as first name. Those names work well for Danish, Belgian and perhaps other royals, but not for the British. They are absolutely not going Victoria-and-Daniel with the first name, and quite possibly not with the middle names either.

It is very likely that the first name will be Victoria, Mary or George - leading to a Victoria II, Mary III or George VII (or George VIII ;)).

If the former is correct, I'll say that cool and very old, though unfortunately unlikely first names include Robert, David, Alexander, Malcolm and Margaret. Choosing one of those would lead to a Robert IV, David III, Alexander IV, Malcolm V or Margaret II.

Is this thread about what we would like the baby to be named or what we think the baby will be named?

If the latter is correct, then I have to say the baby will certainly not have Elisabeth, Josephine, Matilda, Eleanor, Francesca (?!) or Michael as first name. Those names work well for Danish, Belgian and perhaps other royals, but not for the British. They are absolutely not going Victoria-and-Daniel with the first name, and quite possibly not with the middle names either.

While I agree that there's a 99% chance that neither Elisabeth, Josephine, Francesca nor Michael will be used, I can't understand why one would count out Matilda or Eleanor? Empress Matilda and Eleanor of Aquitaine were both very prominent ladies in the history of the British Royal Family, and excellent namesakes if you ask me.

Victoria, Alexandra, Elizabeth, Diana ( and will be known as Diana in private.)
OR
Arthur, George, Philip, Charles

As for the godparents, I do not think the Spencers will be left out.
(just so Mummy can be 'part of the excitement' )

Well, I'll make my final predictions (or at least confirm predictions I have already made).

Boy:

HRH Prince George Arthur Philip Michael of Cambridge.

Girl:

HRH Princess Elizabeth Victoria Diana Carole of Cambridge (and I think and hope it's a girl).

Due date:

July 7th.

Godparents:

- HRH Prince Harry of Wales.
- Ms. Philippa Middleton.
- HRH the Countess of Wessex.
- HRH the Crown Prince of Greece.
- Mr. Hugh van Cutsem.

Last edited:
I can't understand why one would count out Matilda or Eleanor? Empress Matilda and Eleanor of Aquitaine were both very prominent ladies in the history of the British Royal Family, and excellent namesakes if you ask me.

Sure, but when was the last time a princess was named Eleanor? The last time one was named Matilda (after centuries of no Matildas in the family) was in 1751, and that one died as the exiled and disgraced queen of Denmark and Norway.

Royal Eleanors were not very lucky either. One spent many years imprisoned by her husband, one spent almost her entire life imprisoned by her uncle and cousin so that she could not claim the English crown (which she would have inherited under male-preferance primogeniture), one was so unpopular that Londoners almost stoned her to death, one was supposedly a leper, and one angered the Church by breaking her vow of chastity. To be honest, I am not surprised that there haven't been any Eleanors in the family since the Middle Ages :lol:

For a girl I like Alexandra, Charlotte, Alice, Victoria (but not the nicknames), Rose, Isabel, Eleanor and Josephine.

I hope they don't pick Elizabeth or Diana for a first name.

For a boy I like James and maybe David and Alexander.

To be honest, I really don't like most of the "royal" boy names.

Well, I'll make my final predictions (or at least confirm predictions I have already made).

Boy:

HRH Prince George Arthur Philip Michael of Cambridge.

Girl:

HRH Princess Elizabeth Victoria Diana Carole of Cambridge (and I think and hope it's a girl).

Due date:

July 7th.

Godparents:

- HRH Prince Harry of Wales.
- Mrs. Philippa Middleton.
- HRH the Countess of Wessex.
- HRH the Crown Prince of Greece.
- Mr. Hugh van Cutsem.

The "EX" CP of Greece, thanks to a plebescite 40 years ago.
Did Pippa get married ???Mrs??

The "EX" CP of Greece, thanks to a plebescite 40 years ago.
Did Pippa get married ???Mrs??

No. It common to call women's who are not married 'Mrs' or it was a long time ago anyway but I don't know if it is anymore. It was popular in high society in the 19th and 20th century to call all married or single women's mrs especially one working for wealthy couples.

Last edited:
Unmarried is Miss, married is Mrs. Many use Ms when status is unknown or the person does not want the status specified.

I've always been partial to Victoria and since there aren't any Victorias in the BRF that's the name I think they'll select if Baby Cambridge is a girl. The same reasoning applies to George for a boy's name (though I'm not terribly partial to it). Yes, I realize that there's at least one distant cousin named George but by the time Baby Cambridge inherits the throne that relationship will be sufficiently distant to not matter, unlike James, Viscount Severn.

My guesses:

HRH Princess Victoria Elizabeth Caroline Frances of Cambridge

or

HRH Prince George Philip Charles Michael of Cambridge

No clue as far as godparents except definitely Prince Harry and likely Pippa too.

MY GUESSES

HRH Princess Amelia Caroline Diana Elizabeth of Cambridge

HRH PRince Æthelwulf Æthelbald Æthelbert Æthelred of Cambridge :whistling:

that's 'cos i can't really think of any boys' names i really like...

If they have a daughter I certainly hope one of the names will be Diana. She is after all the paternal grand mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom