Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. This baby will be a future king or queen and if William and Kate like a name that is already in use with another family member, well thats just the way it it is. Royal heir trumps minor royals and Spencer cousins

Yeah, I can't see William caring much that he has a young cousin named Charlotte if he really wants to use that name for his daughter (provided the baby is a girl, of course). You name your child want you want, and if someone else has that name, that's too bad.

My favorite is still Charlotte-Rose, I know the British royal family typically doesnt use a hyphened name but her name would go so well with Ingrid-Alexander, Cathrina-Amalia, Charlotte-Rose. I think it sounds great!:flowers:
(sorry I can't spell very well):ROFLMAO:

Problem is, Will and Kate have relatively few choices with names. They don't have the run of the entire baby book.

They certainly can't do that.

Those are the best (if not only) "name books" they can look into:

List of English monarchs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (from the Normans onwards).

List of British monarchs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of English consorts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (from the Normans onwards).

List of British consorts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My favorite is still Charlotte-Rose, I know the British royal family typically doesnt use a hyphened name but her name would go so well with Ingrid-Alexander, Cathrina-Amalia, Charlotte-Rose. I think it sounds great!:flowers:

I doubt Princess Ingrid Alexandra (who hasn't a hyphenated name), will reign as Queen Ingrid Alexandra of Norway.

Her father was Prince Haakon Magnus until 1991, when he became Crown Prince Haakon.

Similarly, I believe that, when the time comes, Princess Ingrid Alexandra will become Crown Princess Ingrid.

The Prince of Orange decided to reign as King Willem-Alexander, so, a Queen Catharina-Amalia is possible.:flowers:

Most Common Names of Brithish/English Monarchs:

Kings:
Henry's -8
Edward s-8
George's-6
William's - 4
Richards-3
James-2
Charles-2
John-1
Stephan-1

Queens:
Elizabeth's-2
Mary's-2
Victoria-1
Anne-1

1000 years and only 13 names. We need something new!

I notice more posters are going with my Charlotte Rose suggestion - how do we get the info to the Cambridges??

I notice more posters are going with my Charlotte Rose suggestion - how do we get the info to the Cambridges??

Charlotte Rose is a beautiful name, but I think it's more suited for a second born daughter.

Like the Yorks in the 20's, they give the firstborn a tradional name (by tradional, in saying that it was used by a previous Queen). But the second born was named Margaret Rose, indeed a beautiful name, but not as traditional as Elizabeth.

In my opinion, the Cambridges can do the same, naming a firstborn daughter Elizabeth or Victoria, and a second born Charlotte Rose.

Where in the rulebook (if there is such a thing) does it say they are only allowed to use names that have been used for british kings/queens (or consorts) before. I really wouldn't be surprised if they surprise us after all. Apparently Kate said they had a list of names and her friends kept texting her names. To me that means they will do what they like and not what the royal family has done for the past 300 yrs. People say they won't because they are traditional. They could pick a perfectly traditional name without using one the royal family has used 10x before. If the stories about William are true I don't think he will let anyone "bully" him into picking a certain name (or not).

Where in the rulebook (if there is such a thing) does it say they are only allowed to use names that have been used for british kings/queens (or consorts) before.

There's no rulebook. But there's a lot of tradition. Baby Cambridge is the future British Monarch.

Elenath, my point exactly. There are "traditional" names which haven't been used by the BRF in our memory. Like Timothy or Stephen, as Gracie suggests. (Gracie, I have a grudge against King Stephen because he ousted my family's choice, Matilda, but we don't have to associate Stephen with that particular king.) Or Peter, very traditional, reminds me of a beloved character in Narnia, a "knight". You are right, Elenath, they may not choose a BRF name as such, but won't choose a far-out name, either.

Charlotte Rose sounds fine. Yes, how do we mail the Windsors with our suggestions? Text, I mean. I did my first Tweet last night. No answer yet.

There's no rulebook. But there's a lot of tradition. Baby Cambridge is the future British Monarch.

So.... I don't mean they should go for Apple or Merlin... If I remember it correctly there were people here who said Victoria was thought to be an inappropriate for a Queen. And know we think it very "queenly". For me Georgiana for instance would be a lovely name. It has tradition in the upper classes while not being used in the royal family. Leopold is another one. It hasn't been used recently while it's still a traditional name.

Where in the rulebook (if there is such a thing) does it say they are only allowed to use names that have been used for british kings/queens (or consorts) before. I really wouldn't be surprised if they surprise us after all. Apparently Kate said they had a list of names and her friends kept texting her names. To me that means they will do what they like and not what the royal family has done for the past 300 yrs. People say they won't because they are traditional. They could pick a perfectly traditional name without using one the royal family has used 10x before. If the stories about William are true I don't think he will let anyone "bully" him into picking a certain name (or not).

People keep texting her names? Gawd, she must be bombarded with advice/opinions, it must drive her nuts. She might not choose George or Charlotte or Victoria simply because she's heard it so many times she's ready to scream.

People keep texting her names? Gawd, she must be bombarded with advice/opinions, it must drive her nuts. She might not choose George or Charlotte or Victoria simply because she's heard it so many times she's ready to scream.

Yes!! I would love it if they went out on a limb and chose something entirely new (I don't think they will but I would cheer if they did) and with a great meaning.

Girls:

Antonia (priceless one)
Helena (bright, shining one)
Meredith (great ruler)
Honora (woman of honor)
Ada (noble)
Seraphina (light)

Boys:

Augustus (great, magnificent)
Ethan (strong, firm)
Frederick (peaceful ruler)
Aaron (exalted, uplifted)
Simon (listener)
Theodore (gift from God)

I'm sure you traditionalists will freak out at this- it's just meant as a light hearted lift to the same names repeated over and over in this thread.

So.... I don't mean they should go for Apple or Merlin... If I remember it correctly there were people here who said Victoria was thought to be an inappropriate for a Queen. And know we think it very "queenly". For me Georgiana for instance would be a lovely name. It has tradition in the upper classes while not being used in the royal family. Leopold is another one. It hasn't been used recently while it's still a traditional name.

It has been used once recently, by a royal cousin. Lord Nicholas' second son is Leopold, actually Leopold Ernest Augustus Guelph Windsor.

I love Georgiana. They could call her Gigi privately.

The name of Ingrid Alexandra doesn't have an hyphen, while Catharina-Amalia and her father have. I quite like hyphened names, too bad the British Royal family don't use them traditionally, but I like your combination Charlotte-Rose.

I think I will stop guessing several names, this baby will be the future Monarch and as the British Royal family is known to be traditional, I'm sure they will pick a name that of a previous Monarch.
Though its more easy to pick a girl's name, since there are many beautiful, regal and sophisticated names, there are only a few to pick from previous female Monarchs (Anne, Mary, Victoria & Elizabeth), a boy has more range of names when it comes to previous Monarchs.
I think if the Duchess gets pregnant for the second time, I will go freely and breserk to point of guessing all kind of names (names likely to be used of course, nothing hideous like Apple, Maxwell, Blue Ivy...)

Last edited:
I doubt Princess Ingrid Alexandra (who hasn't a hyphenated name), will reign as Queen Ingrid Alexandra of Norway.

Her father was Prince Haakon Magnus until 1991, when he became Crown Prince Haakon.

Similarly, I believe that, when the time comes, Princess Ingrid Alexandra will become Crown Princess Ingrid.

The Prince of Orange decided to reign as King Willem-Alexander, so, a Queen Catharina-Amalia is possible.:flowers:

I thought I read somewhere that Prince Haakon said that Ingrid-Alexandra would be called Ingrid-Alexandra, not just Ingrid. I thought he said this not to long after her birth. I really like the sound of Ingrid-Alexandra instead of just Ingrid. IMHO:flowers:

I think if the Duchess gets pregnant for the second time, I will go freely and breserk to point of guessing all kind of names (names likely to be used of course, nothing hideous like Apple, Maxwell, Blue Ivy...)

The second born will be the spare, so, I don't think they'll use a untraditional name.

My bets are:

If they have a boy and then a girl (or vice versa) - George and Elizabeth.

If they have two girls - Elizabeth and Victoria.

If they have two boys - George and Edward.

I don't think they'll have more than two kids, so, we aren't going to see William's children with untraditional names.

if you look back at the Royal Family back in the 19th century you will see there were lots of George's, Alberts, Victorias, Mary's, Edwards, Arthurs, a couple Charlottes, Leopold's and Louise's in the family.

And in general in the 19th century it was common for family members to use the same names - but that was the 19th century, this is the 21st.

Not only is her name Charlotte, but it's Charlotte Diana. I've no doubt Will's daughter will have Diana in her names.

We really don't know if this would serve as a deterrent. Does Will spend time with the Spencers? Are they close? Are there so many nicknames for Charlotte that it does not matter? In some families use of the same name does not bother people.

Problem is, Will and Kate have relatively few choices with names. They don't have the run of the entire baby book. Perhaps the Spencers consulted with Will and Kate and it's not a name that they are keen on.

We'll see. ;)

They do have few choices and while I like Charlotte as a name and for it's historical purposes, I do question the use of it. Within the Mountbatten-Windsors there have only been 5 names used for a child despite it's already being used by a close (in relation) living family member, and there's always been a pronounced age difference - the Queen was named for her mother, two of the Queen's Bowes-Lyones cousins were named Andrew and Anne, Edward was used twice in the Windsor family at the time of Prince Edward's birth, and James has also been used twice. But, there's always a decent age difference - the youngest cousin was something like 16 when the name was given to a new member of the Mountbatten-Windsor family.

I'm in the camp of wanting to see a traditional name that hasn't been used recently. I hope if it's a boy they don't go with George, Albert, or Edward. If it's a girl I could see it being the name of a consort - I wouldn't mind seeing Matilda, Eleanor, Alexandra, or Mary. I think Mary would actually be a nice touch - it's the name of two regnants, several princesses, one consort, and is one of the Queen's names (plus is the name of William's great-great grandmother).

If a pre-Hanoverian name is used, it can be considered an Hanoverian/Windsor name.

And that includes Elizabeth, Charles, William, Anne, Edward, James, Mary and many others.

Except, what you said, and I quote, was "In my opinion, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will name their child with the name of a Hanoverian/Windsor King or Queen."

The Hanoverian monarchs were George I - IV, William IV, and Victoria. The Windsor monarchs were George V and VI, Edward VIII, and Elizabeth II. There is also the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha monarch, Edward VII, who was in between the two houses. That leaves us with the names George, William, Edward, and Elizabeth.

Even if we say that William, Elizabeth, and Edward are simply Hanoverian/Windsor names, ignoring that they have also been used by monarchs in other houses, Charles, Anne, Andrew, Henry, and James (all the other names of monarchs used in the Mountbatten-Windsor family) are not Hanover/Windsor names. Charles, Anne, and James are all Stuart names, and Henry is most recently a Tudor name.

If we're going with the idea that they're not going to use a name already in use, that limits them to just George and Victoria for the Hanoverian/Windsor monarch names. They have more options if they broaden the scope a bit - as has been done in the rest of the family. In my opinion, it kind of says something in that the two names that have only been used by Hanover/Windsor monarchs haven't actually been used by the Mountbatten-Windsors. I wouldn't be surprised if we've left George, Victoria, and even Albert behind for a bit as first names simply because the family became so saturated in those names and variations of them for so long.

Except, what you said, and I quote, was "In my opinion, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will name their child with the name of a Hanoverian/Windsor King or Queen."

The Hanoverian monarchs were George I - IV, William IV, and Victoria. The Windsor monarchs were George V and VI, Edward VIII, and Elizabeth II. There is also the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha monarch, Edward VII, who was in between the two houses. That leaves us with the names George, William, Edward, and Elizabeth.

Even if we say that William, Elizabeth, and Edward are simply Hanoverian/Windsor names, ignoring that they have also been used by monarchs in other houses, Charles, Anne, Andrew, Henry, and James (all the other names of monarchs used in the Mountbatten-Windsor family) are not Hanover/Windsor names. Charles, Anne, and James are all Stuart names, and Henry is most recently a Tudor name.

If we're going with the idea that they're not going to use a name already in use, that limits them to just George and Victoria for the Hanoverian/Windsor monarch names. They have more options if they broaden the scope a bit - as has been done in the rest of the family. In my opinion, it kind of says something in that the two names that have only been used by Hanover/Windsor monarchs haven't actually been used by the Mountbatten-Windsors. I wouldn't be surprised if we've left George, Victoria, and even Albert behind for a bit as first names simply because the family became so saturated in those names and variations of them for so long.

You're right.

In fact, I believe they'll use the name of a previous Hanoverian/Windsor member of the Royal Family (even if this name was previously used by pre-Hanoverian Royal).

My favorite options for boys are:

1. George (the one with more chances, in my opinion).
2. Edward.
3. William.
4. Henry.
5. Arthur.

For girls:

1. Elizabeth (the one with more chances, in my opinion).
2. Victoria (but I think this name will never be used by another reigning Queen).
3. Charlotte.
4. Adelaide.
5. Catherine.

Catherine Elizabeth Diana Frances. call her Queen Catherine.
Phillip Charles William Albert
Call him King Phillip

Phillip Charles William Albert
Call him King Phillip

King Philip sounds to French and Spanish, I don't think it'll be used by a British Monarch.

I do think Philip will be one of the middle names, like Prince George Philip Arthur Michael of Cambridge.

I'd like a little Mathilda, Alice, Eleanor or Leopold, Albert or even Arthur (however unlikely that name is). I especially like the name Alice and the stories about princess Alice, queen Victoria's daughter. That lady had guts...

On the "Musings" thread, cinrit suggested Boudica as a name for the baby if a girl is the firstborn. I simply had to say I agree that it would be an excellent choice.:D

Georgiana, check. Leopold, uncheck. Leopold is too Germanic, I think. Lord Nicholas Windsor is a fanatic traditionalist, so he might be the only British heir to give Leopold to his British baby. But his wife is said to be of Croatian noble descent, from a very interesting family, incidentally, and perhaps Leopold has a Croatian history.

What is the name of Lady Nicholas Windsor? Her last name is Frankopan. Her brother was a witness at Guillaume's wedding. Another brother is an Oxford don, and both parents are Ph.D.'s and/or MD's, I think both "degrees" in one of her parents' case.
There is another brother and sister who are also super achievers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom