Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My aunt, and great aunt were nicknamed "Mina" (pronounced Meena). I don't think it would be a great British Queen name. My other aunt Ethelwyn had a better British royal name, evocative of the Anglo-Saxon period before the Norman conquest. Alfred, as stated in a post above, was the greatest pre-Conquest king of England, but I don't think the "Fred" diminutive will do well. We do have a GREAT theater singer, Alfie Boe, the greatest of the portrayers of Jean Valjean in Les Miserables (get the CD on the 25th anniversary presentation of Les Mis to see).

Wilhelmina is just not a British name. I know George, Victoria etc. aren't British names either, but they've been adopted here on a very big scale. 99% of the British public likely will never have heard of Queen Wilhelmina or know that William III was Dutch. Superficially, the name sounds German to me, which is certainly not what the royals want in a name, particularly of a future monarch.

Also, the name is just much, much too close to Wilhelm (naturally enough) which would conjure thoughts of Kaiser Wilhelm, who wouldn't exactly be a figure of affection in the UK, given WW1 etc.

After repeating the name in my head a number of times, I agree with you :flowers:.

I like Wilhelmina, but I doubt that they'll choose it. William and Catherine will probably choose a more traditional royal name for their first born, like Victoria, George, Elizabeth or Arthur. I'm still betting on Victoria or George for the first born, though.

I think George is the likeliest choice for a boy. The last two Georges on the throne were much-loved monarchs, and also have many happy memories for the Queen. I think she especially would love to think of her great-grandson following in their footsteps.

I think I would ultimately love to see a Princess Elizabeth, if it's a girl. A tribute to HM and there'll be enough of a gap by the time she'd be reaching the throne, so there would be no confusion.

Much as I like Charlotte, it does bring Charlotte Church to mind, at least for me.

I don't see why, if the baby is a boy, he can't be named after his father- there were lots of Henrys, Georges, and Edwards in a row.
Why not two Williams?

And I really think if the baby's a girl they will choose Elizabeth.

I don't see why, if the baby is a boy, he can't be named after his father- there were lots of Henrys, Georges, and Edwards in a row.
Why not two Williams?

And I really think if the baby's a girl they will choose Elizabeth.

William is a beautiful name, and there's no problem to have Kings with the same name in a row (it's just a bit confusing).

But I don't think William will be the name if the baby is a boy. Certainly George or Edward.

And yes, for sure Elizabeth will be the name, if it's a girl.

I think, nowadays, people would see William naming his son William as, kind of, tooting his own horn. By naming a child after a particular person, the parents are essentially honouring that person and paying tribute to them. I know it happened often in the past, but it would be seen as a bit odd for Kate and William to honour themselves in a sense. By all means have William or Catherine as a middle name, but not as the first name.

I think George Charles William Micheal is a possibility. I think I stated the same aound page 1 of this string. LOL

Part of me thinks George will be in the name line-up, but I do not think it was be the Christian name.

I am still up for Louis or Arthur as a Christian name. *fingers crossed*

That's correct, I do believe that she's King Abdulah of Jordan's sister-in-law (she's married to Prince Faisal, who is Abdulah's brother). 'Princess Sara' also reminds me of the main charachter from the classic children's film/book A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, which I used to love when I was younger.
Yes, Prince Faisal current wife is called Sara, and one of his daughters is called Sara as well. And in Brunei, the wife of Crown Prince Billah is called Princess Sarah, one day she'll be Queen Sarah! I love that name, but not suited for the Cambridges first baby, maybe as a second child but definately not a first.

I'm wondering on something, can William and Catherine surprise us all with an unique name? I know the British are more traditional and especially with a future monarch's name, but we all said Victoria and Daniel will give a traditional name to their first child and we were all so sure, but in the end they surprised everyone with Estelle

No doubt there will be whinge on here when we find out the name like with Estelle last year. ;)

No doubt there will be whinge on here when we find out the name like with Estelle last year. ;)

I do think they will do something similar and use a name that's in a way traditional but yet different and not one already in use by the family. That's why I rule out Charlotte. Charles Spencer named his recent daughter Charlotte Diana.

George seems to be a good guess so I'm gonna stick with George for a boy and Georgianna for a girl with Alice secondary choice. Princess Gia sounds good for a female growing up and Queen Georgianna sounds regal.

I thought Estelle was a more traditional (old fashioned) name?

LaRae

Since people seem to want modern names how about Latifa or Beyonce for a girl and "the prince formerly known as prince" for a boy?

I thought Estelle was a more traditional (old fashioned) name?

LaRae

It's a beautiful and old-fashioned name, but has no tradition within the Swedish Royal Family.

Estelle was the name of the wife of Bernadotte cousin without succession rights.

I suppose Rupert, with Rupert Murdoch as godfather is out of the question.

I suppose Rupert, with Rupert Murdoch as godfather is out of the question.

Ellie Mae Jethrine LaBelle is starting to grow on me, but nowadays Southern girls all have surnames as names - whoever suggested calling the baby "Spencer" was spot on.

If Will married a Southern sorority girl, their baby girl would be named Spencer Elizabeth Madison Avery.

A boy would be Phillip Spencer Brayden Charles, and he's surely go by his second name Spencer, because that's how it's done.

She lives ina world, Jim, but not as we know it - Giraffe world

I think it will be a Girl. I also think it will be named Victoria or Elizabeth for first Named with the other names being used as a middle name. I think enough time will have passed by then for another Queen Victoria (II). It was 350 Years before there was a Second Elisabeth, But either way both Names will have a lot to live up too! There have been Two Mary's and 1 Anne But I can't see them gong with one of those as a first Name. There are gong to go with more traditional royal Baby names especially if this is a Girl because She will be queen and will be the first Girl not to be pushed back by a younger Brother and so that leave Elizabeth and Victoria. Also Those are more Famous then Mary and Anne. So what a better name for the Girl (Queen) who will be the first to have precedence over younger Brother then Elizabeth or Victoria?

If it were a Boy I could see George, Philip, Edward or William.

Girl: Victoria Elizabeth Diana Catherine Mary

Boy: George Charles Philip William Edward

Last edited:
I just read about Catherine's little "slip-up" regarding the gender. Perhaps she meant the teddy was for her dog!

I think they are having a girl too. I have always thought they were but I guess we wont actually know until the baby is born. I see Alice being one of the name's and perhaps Carole/Elizabeth. Perhaps she will be named for her godparents so maybe Sophie too? I think The Countess of Wessex will be one of her Godparents hence the choice of Sophie.

Princess Alice Sophie Elizabeth Carole?

I've made several suggestions but after giving it some serious thought I think we will all love

Princess Victoria Alexandra Mary Elizabeth Frances Caroline Alice

I think that the name "Diana" will be somewhere in a daughter's name, just not first.

Could you imagine the media pressure and constant comparison for any granddaughter of Princess Diana who was named and called "Diana".

Catherine gets more than enough comparison to Diana and she just married the son.

Lee27 said:
I think that the name "Diana" will be somewhere in a daughter's name, just not first.

Could you imagine the media pressure and constant comparison for any granddaughter of Princess Diana who was named and called "Diana".

Catherine gets more than enough comparison to Diana and she just married the son.

My mom hopes two things: 1. if it's a girl they don't use Diana as a first name and 2. it's not born on either July 1st (Diana's birthday) or 29th (Charles and Diana's wedding anniversary). I got mad (well, not mad, but disappointed), because the 29th of July is also my birthday, and I honestly wouldn't mind sharing a birthday with the future British monarch. Several British royals come close, though; the closest at the moment is Princess Beatrice at August 8th, and Princess Anne second at August 15th.

I've made several suggestions but after giving it some serious thought I think we will all love

Princess Victoria Alexandra Mary Elizabeth Frances Caroline Alice

Excellent, a bit too short, but otherwise just brilliant :D

I hope they don't use Diana's name at all, if the child is a girl. There's too many comparisons already between Catherine and her late mother-in-law, the absolute last thing they should do is foist those comparisons on to their newborn child, a child who will be monarch one day. There are far better ways I feel, to honor Diana's legacy and dreams/hopes/aspirations, than to do that. In fact, I'd love it if they chose names that don't reference anyone recent in either of their families. No Elizabeths, no Catherines, no Caroles, nothing like that.

Victoria, Alice, Charlotte, Caroline, Mary, and Alexandra are all names I'd like to see them use. Obviously not every single one of them, since the names usually top out at 3-4, but some combination.

Charlotte Alice Victoria Mary sounds very good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom