Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been a queen consort called Dorothea

None of Catherine's grandparents are still alive. Mike's father Peter was the last to die right before the engagement was announced. William & Kate had to push back the announcement a couple of days due to his death. Peter was an RAF pilot in WWII and co-piloted an airplane with Prince Phillip on one of Phillip's tours in 50s or 60s.

If you look at everybody's names on both sides,

William Arthur Phillip Louis Henry Charles Albert David
Catherine Elizabeth Phillipa Charlotte James William

They are all traditional names. I would think there would be Elizabeth or Phillip in one of the names. I don't think Diana would be used as a first name. Fergie did the weird Victorian names with Beatrice or Eugenie. I like Phillip or Michael since both Phil and Mike get overshadowed by their wives.

I notice two members on this thread have put up Margaret Rose as a possible but unlikely name. I like it a lot, too. I like the use of sweet Rose to end a more savory name, Margaret. I am partial to the Scots queen name of Margaret, and I do like Matilda too, as a name with Scots ties. Matilda Rose would also be a savory-sweet combination, and nicely "old fashioned". I suppose Margaret-Rose hasn't a big chance because of the recent existence of another Princess Margaret Rose.
I hear the name "Alexandra" a lot among current royals and I think it is getting a little too common to qualify for a new-old name, although of course it's very royal.
I too think that naming a Princess after her mom would be fine. Remember there would need to be a nick name because of the mother having the name Catherine too.

Last edited:
I think that it's a virtual certainty that the first given name of the Cambridge baby will be the name of a former English Sovereign (post- Norman Conquest.) That gives us the following: William, Henry, Stephen, Richard, John, Edward, George, Charles and James for boys and Mary, Elizabeth, Anne or Victoria for girls. If you include the other Scottish Kings that adds Kenneth, Donald, Constantine, Alexander, David, Edgar, Duncan, Robert, Malcolm, MacBeth (and Lulach, Giric, Eochaid, Indulf, Dubh, and Cullen). I don't see them using either Stephen or John (both horrible Kings) and Richard has been unlucky as well as all three died well before their times after somewhat disturbed reigns. The more exotic Scottish names would seem to be non-starters also. Henry, Edward, Anne and James are in current use close to the throne (as are Charles and Elizabeth, but neither of those would surprise me.) I just don't see them choosing a name that hasn't been used by a Sovereign before, so no Catherine, Charlotte, Diana, Carole (or Caroline) Margaret, Alexandra, Arthur, Albert, Michael, or Philip - at least not as first names. Baby Cambridge will have a very traditional Sovereign's name, I can almost guarantee it. We'll just have to wait and see what it is.

I think that it's a virtual certainty that the first given name of the Cambridge baby will be the name of a former English Sovereign (post- Norman Conquest.) That gives us the following: William, Henry, Stephen, Richard, John, Edward, George, Charles and James for boys and Mary, Elizabeth, Anne or Victoria for girls. If you include the other Scottish Kings that adds Kenneth, Donald, Constantine, Alexander, David, Edgar, Duncan, Robert, Malcolm, MacBeth (and Lulach, Giric, Eochaid, Indulf, Dubh, and Cullen). I don't see them using either Stephen or John (both horrible Kings) and Richard has been unlucky as well as all three died well before their times after somewhat disturbed reigns. The more exotic Scottish names would seem to be non-starters also. Henry, Edward, Anne and James are in current use close to the throne (as are Charles and Elizabeth, but neither of those would surprise me.) I just don't see them choosing a name that hasn't been used by a Sovereign before, so no Catherine, Charlotte, Diana, Carole (or Caroline) Margaret, Alexandra, Arthur, Albert, Michael, or Philip - at least not as first names. Baby Cambridge will have a very traditional Sovereign's name, I can almost guarantee it. We'll just have to wait and see what it is.

I'm with you on this. I can see the first name of a boy being George, Charles, or even Richard (it's both a kingly name and one that's been used other times by Royals, including the current Duke of Gloucester). John won't happen because it's viewed as cursed - Prince John's tend to not do well. For a girl, I'd say Mary, Elizabeth, or Victoria.

If it's a girl and her first name is Diana I kind of feel sorry for her. Those are really big shoes to fill in. Also, it's kind of a slap in the face to Charles and Camilla. It should be in there somewhere, but not as the first name.

Girl:
Charlotte Frances Elizabeth Jane

Boy:
Edmund Arthur Peter Philip

I think it's almost certain that either Frances or Elizabeth will be in the name if it's a girl. I'd like to see something classical in her name, maybe something like Joan, Helen, or really out there - Cleopatra? (okay, that's one too far). Carole might be there; I can't see Camilla or Rosemary being included, although Rose (From Princess Margaret) may be nice.

A boy will probably have Philip as a name. I just can't think of many names other that the typical George, Louis, Arthur, etc... Michael may be in there.

Of course we will see these names among the baby names :Elizabeth,Diana for girl and Charles,Philip for boy...I expect a modern first name for the baby.

Of course we will see these names among the baby names :Elizabeth,Diana for girl and Charles,Philip for boy...I expect a modern first name for the baby.

Just what exactly is a "modern" name? Blue Ivy?

I don't know what you expect with more modern: Elizabeth, Charles, and Philip are still relatively common names, and one of the main trends of the moment is to revive old fashioned names.

Still, I think William and Kate will be sticking to tradition regardless.

isnt Savannah, Paige, Chris, modern names? i think a "modern" name is a name more in use today, taditional and old names usually are historical or not so common nowadays (but used to be in the past). well, just my thought.

Blue Ivy and lots of hideous names from Celebrities kids, doesnt fit in any category, they are all crazy, hideous and made-up just for show, they want to be diferent and original, but the outcome is disastrous.

isnt i think a "modern" name is a name more in use today, taditional and old names usually are historical or not so common nowadays (but used to be in the past). well, just my thought.

QUOTE]

Actually I think traditional or old names are very much in vogue now. Other than footballers, pop stars and actors I don't know too many people who go for very oddball names for their children.

Interesting debate on what is modern and what is not. To while away the time whilst I was working out my access probs to this site, ~I looked up the 1st names of babies announced in THe Times since 5th February (date chosen because I was getting bored). In the lists are some interesting results!

BOYS

Alexander, Humphrey, Roly, Ludovic, Henry, William, Harry, Arthur,
Jack (2), Harper (2) !!!!!!, Oliver, Frederick (2), Fergus, Dylan, Edward, George, Theodore, Angus, Toby

GIRLS
Rose, Flora (3) !!!!, Anastasia (50 shades reader??), Florence, Lavinia, Minerva, Scarlett, Audrey, Elizabeth,Sophie, Victoria and Cora.

Also, for those who are interested in current naming trends, if you google something like "most popular baby names UK", you'll find lists of the most popular names, year by year.

Thanks for sharing those names, cepe - very interesting to see what people are using.

I don't think there is an "of course" about it.
While the names will be traditional and will probably honour family members, the names you list may or may not be used.
Yes I think William will honour his mother in some way but I think HM will counsel he and Kate against using Diana becasue it does come with so much baggage.

As I said above, I'm 99.9999% sure the first name will be that of a former British Sovereign. No "trendy" or "modern" names need apply. They're naming a future monarch, not a pop star. :flowers:

I think some of you are forgetting this child will be the future monarch. Peter and Autumn Philips can name their daughters Savannah and Isla because they have no titles and will never be Queen. The idea of William and Catherine giving their child any name other than one that's been used by future monarchs in the past is just silliness. Modern names are nice, and can be very dignified, but you're not going to see a Queen Ashley or King Derek, no matter how popular those names might be.

I think some of you are forgetting this child will be the future monarch. Peter and Autumn Philips can name their daughters Savannah and Isla because they have no titles and will never be Queen. The idea of William and Catherine giving their child any name other than one that's been used by future monarchs in the past is just silliness. Modern names are nice, and can be very dignified, but you're not going to see a Queen Ashley or King Derek, no matter how popular those names might be.

I agree with this completely. While Zara and Peter - and Anne herself - may have all gone with less than traditional names, the bulk of the Windsor-Mountbattens (who are all much closer in line) have used very traditional names for their children. Asides from Peter and Zara, all of the grandchildren of HM have the names of former monarchs or princesses, and with the exception of Andrew (who was named for The DoE's father), all the Queen's children have the name of a former monarch. William's child is most likely going to have a traditional name as well - his or her first name will likely represent a former monarch's while their middle names are likely to represent family members and/or tradition. What's more is that Catherine's family seems to use traditional names as well. I think what's more likely to happen is that the child has a traditional name but a family nickname - one that may or may not be what they're referred to by the public.

:previous: You're right, of course, but as I said before, we can't go on and on about Elizabeth, Phillip, George and Victoria for the next 5 months, it's fun to have a little fun and see who gets it right. :flowers:

isnt i think a "modern" name is a name more in use today, taditional and old names usually are historical or not so common nowadays (but used to be in the past). well, just my thought.

QUOTE]

Actually I think traditional or old names are very much in vogue now. Other than footballers, pop stars and actors I don't know too many people who go for very oddball names for their children.

You're forgetting Sarah Palin. If she could name this baby she'd probably go with "Reign" for a boy and "Tiara" for a girl. :eek:

Alice must not be forgotten. Many royal ladies, even if not Queen of England, have been Alice. Duchess of Gloucester and Prince Phillip's mother, to start. Also I believe royals pre-Norman conquest COULD appear, although perhaps not as likely.

I am not going to suggest four names in a row starting with Alice. We have gone around the foursome a lot.

Charlotte almost became Queen. If she had not died in childbirth, she would have been Queen and Alexandrine Victoria would never even have been born, as her birth was a royal command performance for the Duke of Kent, who left his long time partner (partner of decades, with probable several children, but who was Catholic) in order to marry the sister of Prince Leopold and produce an heir. Charlotte is deserves a second chance, although I am an Alice fan. The Alices have been inspiring or else eccentrically interesting, like Prince Phillip's mum who smoked up the halls of Buckingham palace and joined a religious order, after her husband deserted her. One has to be feisty to be an Alice, and the Princess needs feist.
I think it is a boy, with Gracie Giraffe, anyway. Timothy or Robert for me. Timothy was not a "royal" so that's out by the figuring of this thread, but Robert was several times over a King of Scotland. Scotland IS a close part of the UK so far...maybe King Robert would inspire loyalty? James is a very good name but is it OK to use when there is Viscount Severn? I think it is OK and it is very likely, in fact. Prince Jamie.

I think Philip'll be there for sure (if it's a boy), and I'd like to see Michael in there. I don't think they'll use Charles though - I think instead they'll pay tribute to William's father by using Arthur, as it's the middle name that both William and Charles have.

I think it is a boy, with Gracie Giraffe, anyway. Timothy or Robert for me. Timothy was not a "royal" so that's out by the figuring of this thread, but Robert was several times over a King of Scotland. Scotland IS a close part of the UK so far...maybe King Robert would inspire loyalty? James is a very good name but is it OK to use when there is Viscount Severn? I think it is OK and it is very likely, in fact. Prince Jamie.

The BRF have fallen into a habit of not using names that someone currently living has - the exception being Edward, who shares a name with the Duke of Kent. While I like "Prince Jamie," I wonder if this child is a bit too close in age to Viscount Severn - there's only a 5 or 6 year age difference (as opposed to a 30 years or so age difference between the Edwards).

Alright, jumping in here with some of my ideas. I am amongst the group that hopes if it is a little Princess they will not use the name Diana, but I do like the idea that has been previously suggested of using Frances to honor not only her, but also her late mother, William's grandmother. But I would not be at all surprised to see the name Diana amongst a Princess's names either.

Alice Elizabeth Caroline Louisa
Alice Louise Mary Elizabeth
Victoria Frances Philippa Elizabeth
Victoria Mary Elizabeth Margaret
Charlotte Elizabeth Anne Georgiana
Charlotte Louisa Margaret Rose
Alexandra Victoria Elizabeth Caroline
Alexandra Elizabeth Mary Frances
Mary Elizabeth Caroline Frances
Mary Alexandra Frances Elizabeth

George Arthur Michael Charles
George Charles Philip Michael
Arthur Philip Richard Louis
Arthur Michael George Philip

The boy names are so much harder to come up with because of how many are already in use within the family.

I'm not expecting them to surprise us, but after a few recent royal names, I wouldn't exactly be shocked if they did either.

:previous, I really like your name suggestions - especially Victoria Frances Philippa Elizabeth, Mary Elizabeth Caroline Frances, George Arthur Michael Charles, and George Philip Michael Charles, which I think nicely show both sides of the family and tradition.

I would also suggest:
George Philip Arthur Michael
Richard Arthur Philip Michael
Richard Louis Michael Arthur

Here are some new combinations I've come up with:

Boy
Arthur Henry Richard George
George Albert Philip Edward

Girl
Alice Elizabeth Catherine Rose
Victoria Alexandrina Charlotte Mary

How about Alexandrina instead of Alexandra as a girl's middle name? We've had lots of members of the Royal Family with Alexandra as their name/middle name, and I'd like it if William and Catherine chose that name in honor of Queen Victoria (she was Alexandrina Victoria). The first born child IMO needs to have traditional names as they're going to be a monarch one day. So any Queen Tallulas or King Brandons wouldn't happen- IMO again. But could you imagine that?! :ohmy:. They also won't opt for any of the celebrity names; Jamie Oliver's son Buddy Bear sounds like the name of a character in a children's TV show :D. And Beyonce's daughter Blue Ivy sounds like the name of an air freshener or perfume. But then again, some Hanoverian names are coming back into fashion- Charlotte, Amelia, Sophia and Louisa for example. So they could choose one of those names, and it would also have a meaning to the BRF. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom