Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we had a Diana, now we have an Athena over in Denmark. Why not Artemis? We all once believed kings were demi-gods.

If Leonor in Spain one day has a first born son, she might consider naming him Jesus, skipping over the "demi" bit all together.

A common name among Amish boys is Christ. Perhaps Will and Kate would consider it for their little first-born lad. I wonder if Kate would have a penchant for dressing him in black pants, button down shirts and suspenders. Would he have a strong aversion to cars, and instead prefer the horse drawn carriages on state occasions? I'll send him some shoo-fly pie.

I might email SJP and suggest the name "Zeus." Marvelous name for a boy. His little cousin Xan can come over and they can play with their train sets.

Be forewarned in critiquing this posts. Those gods have no sense of humor, most particularly Zeus.

:previous:
However, I would be extremely shocked if Diana isn't one of the names.

Just thinking outside the box. Artemis being the Greek equivalent of Diana. It would be a tribute that wasn't "hit you in the face obvious" but there for those who chose to look. It being subtle would mean that the gutter press might miss it!:lol:

For a girl: I love Charlotte, Caroline, Anabelle and Sophia the most.
For a boy: I love Michael, Philip, Lucus and Henry the most.
I know it isn't going to happen but I would love to see a "shocker" name like Estelle, Athena, Jospephine, Vincent, Sverre, Alexis and Arianne. I think the British Royal family needs an infux of some "new" names.

Rebafan81 I agree! Influx of newer names would be great. Resurrection of some old or even old old names could become "new". In your list, I especially like Lucus and Anabelle as "newer" names, but does Anabelle have any royal background? Lucus would be a wonderful Christian name for a boy but it is hard to pronounce nicely with the "s" on the end. I think Estelle was a great name for the Swedish princess, because it honored a little-honored ancestress. I do not like the "greek god or goddess" names, think Athena is not too great unless it would be for a Greek princess. Josephine is a great use of an older name. Michael would be great to honor Kate's father but perhaps it sounds too Russian or Slavic because those guys used the name the most for their royals....not that Michael Middleton is in any way Slavic.
Some how I don't wrap my "sound filter" around Philip because of the "ip" on the end. I usually say the names out loud to see if I like their sound. Henry has a very good sound.
I like old anglo-saxon names for a royal. Edwina. Sound archaic but it is from the anglo-saxon past.
Ethelwyn. Edward is great but it's in use.
I've heard the names of Irish saints are not allowed (opinion on TRF) but there are some neat ones, like Aidan.

Last edited:
Rebafan81 I agree! Influx of newer names would be great. Resurrection of some old or even old old names could become "new". In your list, I especially like Lucus and Anabelle as "newer" names, but does Anabelle have any royal background? .

It was reported when Princess Beatrice was born that her parents had wanted to name her Annabel, but that the Queen rejected the name. I don't know if the story was ever confirmed, but if it's true, it makes it highly unlikely as a choice for William and Kate.

For a girl: I love Charlotte, Caroline, Anabelle and Sophia the most.
For a boy: I love Michael, Philip, Lucus and Henry the most.
I know it isn't going to happen but I would love to see a "shocker" name like Estelle, Athena, Jospephine, Vincent, Sverre, Alexis and Arianne. I think the British Royal family needs an infux of some "new" names.

Along those lines, its possible that William and Kate could come up with something unique, sound regal and honor William's mother without putting the full blunt of her name on the child. Something like Geordiana. :D

I heard the same story regarding Annabel for Beatrice. It was reported that the Queen thought it too "Yuppy." I also heard Beatrice narrowly beat out Charlotte for final choice.

Annabel is also the name of Camilla's little sister, so I don't think that has much possibility.

If it's a "new" name introduced, it will really be an old name, dusted off.
I'd like to see "Cecilia" or possibly Cecily or Adela. These were names of the daughters of Henry the Conqueror. He also had a daughter named Agatha, but hopefully that one does not reappear.

Along those lines, its possible that William and Kate could come up with something unique, sound regal and honor William's mother without putting the full blunt of her name on the child. Something like Geordiana. :D

Oh, good Lord! :lol:

Sounds like a dress designer from Milan.

I heard the same story regarding Annabel for Beatrice. It was reported that the Queen thought it too "Yuppy." I also heard Beatrice narrowly beat out Charlotte for final choice.

Annabel is also the name of Camilla's little sister, so I don't think that has much possibility.

If it's a "new" name introduced, it will really be an old name, dusted off.
I'd like to see "Cecilia" or possibly Cecily or Adela. These were names of the daughters of Henry the Conqueror. He also had a daughter named Agatha, but hopefully that one does not reappear.

I like Cecily quite a lot, actually. I haven't heard that name in a long time. Cecily Amelia sounds really nice.

I love the name but think the BRF would move towards Cecile which was the name of Prince Phillips sister Princess Cecile of Greece & Denmark, Grand Duchess of Hesse who was killed in a plane crash along with all of her family except one daughter who had remained at home.

What about Alice Cecile Margaret Theodora Sophie

I love the name but think the BRF would move towards Cecile which was the name of Prince Phillips sister Princess Cecile of Greece & Denmark, Grand Duchess of Hesse who was killed in a plane crash along with all of her family except one daughter who had remained at home.

What about Alice Cecile Margaret Theodora Sophie

You're right about Cecile the Nazi aunt. This is why "Cecile Margaret Theodora Sophie" would never be used - that's all the Nazi aunts, I believe. :lol:

You're right about Cecile the Nazi aunt. This is why "Cecile Margaret Theodora Sophie" would never be used - that's all the Nazi aunts, I believe. :lol:

There is no proof that Cecile or her husband Georg Donatus were members of the Nazi party. They died in 1937 en route to London.

All of the Duke of Edinburgh's sisters and their families were welcome at Buckingham Palace for many many years after the Coronation in 1953. Given the fact that most people would struggle to know that HRH had 4 sisters let alone the fact that one of them died so tragically, I fail to see why any or all of the names could not be used to honour the Greek-Battenburg family. After all, this family gave us the longest serving Royal Consort in history.

Princess Sophie (Philip's sister) is one of Prince Edward's godmothers so that is another sign that Philip's sisters were all welcome at Buckingham Palace.

The Duke of Edinburgh at 90: a tragic childhood - Telegraph

I don't believe any of Phillip's sisters will be honored in the child's name, but I do think his mother Alice will be.

I can't imagine any of his sister's names will be used, except for perhaps Sophie but that would likely be related to The Countess of Wessex if it is selected.

I can see Alice being used as both Anne and Lady Louise have Alice in their names. (Anne is Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise and Lady Louise is Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary, pretty much the same name except for Anne and Mary.)

Or the name of a contestant in a toddler beauty pageant...

Yes, it does. :lol:

Honey Boo-Boo's real name is Alana. Perhaps we will see that in the name... or not.....:ermm:

I was thinking of some other combined names:
Both Grandmas: Cardiana (it does sound like a sweater designer, however)
Diacarole (sounds like a continental dessert)
The Queen and Diana; Dianabeth (little known twin of Annabeth Gish?)
Eliziana (sounds like all things having to do with
this Queen's reign

Elizamariannetoria; All Queens of England combined. Very regal, indeed. Why give her a string of names, just pop it all into one.

Elizamariannetoria Regina

Wymanda, you come up with graceful combinations of names which sound well when spoken. The names you chose on this page, and on others, are like a faceted gem when put together.
Most of us are mad for Alice! So whatever goes with Alice.... it has such wide usage in the royal family. We should have a contest: If Alice is the first name, what is a second name to go with it and sound great? I think Alice Diana sounds acceptable even though I am not a fan of the name Diana for a royal princess. Alice-Anne Sophia sounds French, which I like, and I think it is time to honor the Princess Royal.

If it's a boy, a novel thought would be to honor Tim Laurence, the patient and intelligent spouse of Princess Anne. Somewhere in the four names, Timothy. Sophie Wessex and Edward could stand some honoring, as well, for their gracious service and style.
Henry Charles Edward Timothy?

Wymanda, you come up with graceful combinations of names which sound well when spoken. The names you chose on this page, and on others, are like a faceted gem when put together.
Most of us are mad for Alice! So whatever goes with Alice.... it has such wide usage in the royal family. We should have a contest: If Alice is the first name, what is a second name to go with it and sound great? I think Alice Diana sounds acceptable even though I am not a fan of the name Diana for a royal princess. Alice-Anne Sophia sounds French, which I like, and I think it is time to honor the Princess Royal.

If it's a boy, a novel thought would be to honor Tim Laurence, the patient and intelligent spouse of Princess Anne. Somewhere in the four names, Timothy. Sophie Wessex and Edward could stand some honoring, as well, for their gracious service and style.
Henry Charles Edward Timothy?

A resounding yes for Timothy. It does noticeably leave out the Yorks, however.....

Last edited:
George Timothy Phillip Andrew Michael

Timothy would be a sweet homage to Tim Laurence.
George Timothy Arthur Michael
Arthur George Timothy Michael
Alexander George Timothy Arthur

Well, an Artemis(ia) here certainly likes those choices. :cool:
However, I would be extremely shocked if Diana isn't one of the names.

I would think it's extremely unlikely that either Diana or Frances will be used, if the baby is a girl.
Caroline, Charlotte, Alice or Mary are likely to be used - and Elizabeth or Victoria will be in there somewhere.
For a boy, George, Philip or Henry must be there.

The names you mentioned are indeed very likely first-name candidates. However, William has already made it quite apparent he wants to honour his mother's memory so I would be very surprised if Diana isn't among the names of his first-born daughter. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

Gracie, cannot name baby after EVERY member of the royal family! Nor can every member of RF be godparents. I just named some couples who have been known for long and gracious service. I know some of those European goth-people have historically been attaching names a mile long to some babies, ten or more names I've seen.

Carole Middleton's name could figure in their second child's names, girl or boy, if Catherine can be persuaded to have another after the HG effect. Carol is a good man's name; my brother in law had it and I always liked it. He swam for the US Olympic team many years ago.

This child may be their only one. I would not blame Catherine if she does not have another after the MG. I have read that it usually occurs in subsequent pregnancies, but I don't know the statistics. Harry can have the "spare".

Last edited:
Gracie, cannot name baby after EVERY member of the royal family! Nor can every member of RF be godparents. I just named some couples who have been known for long and gracious service. I know some of those European goth-people have historically been attaching names a mile long to some babies, ten or more names I've seen.

Carole Middleton's name could figure in their second child's names, girl or boy, if Catherine can be persuaded to have another after the HG effect. Carol is a good man's name; my brother in law had it and I always liked it. He swam for the US Olympic team many years ago.

This child may be their only one. I would not blame Catherine if she does not have another after the MG. I have read that it usually occurs in subsequent pregnancies, but I don't know the statistics. Harry can have the "spare".

Oh, I'm not criticizing your selections, Mariel! :flowers:

I like the suggestion of Timothy. Completely traditional, but new, and honors someone who deserved it.

The names you mentioned are indeed very likely first-name candidates. However, William has already made it quite apparent he wants to honour his mother's memory so I would be very surprised if Diana isn't among the names of his first-born daughter. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

I'm still convinced that, while William will wish to honour his mother, it will be with her second name Frances as this would also honour his maternal "Granny Frances".
I suggested your name Artemis as it is another name for the Huntress goddess and would be less obvious than Diana.
There are also the Spencer family names of Sarah & Jane which could be used.

How about Geoffrey for a boy? Traditional, British, and sounds very close to Giraffe.

Geoffrey Charles Phillip Michael.

We have a list of names which could be, so at this point we are sort of having to wait. Wouldn't it be a kick if the RF name-mavens were actually reading this forum and got some ideas from us? I'm sure they have their own ideas which we may not even have thought of.
I'm glad you like Tim as a name, Gracie. As you say, new and yet traditional. Perfect in other words. I'm not sure what royal connotations Geoffrey has (haven't heard them) other than it's notable connection to Giraffe, which is a point in its favor. Is it a Crusader name (think it is).
Crusader names are probably not pc at the moment.

I like old anglo-saxon names for a royal. Edwina. Sound archaic but it is from the anglo-saxon past.
Ethelwyn. Edward is great but it's in use.
Why nor Edmund, a king Edmund IV of the United Kingdom, after two English and one Scottish kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom