Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^
And just what pray tell is considered a "modern name"?

Last edited:
I agree with you:flowers: wondering it they will choose someone of a foreign royal family?

I really don't see that happening when Will and Kate have plenty of close family and friends to choose from.

This name is totally off the wall but they could name a new baby daughter such that she'd always be a Queen. Regina. I do think they're going to go for something totally unique for the girl's first name.

This name is totally off the wall but they could name a new baby daughter such that she'd always be a Queen. Regina. I do think they're going to go for something totally unique for the girl's first name.
I don't think so. I bet they will pick a very traditional name like Elizabeth or Victoria:)

I thought about modern names and looked up the 10most popular girls names for 2012.

Olivia
Lily
Sophie
Amelia
Emily
Jessica
Grace
Ava
Ruby
Mia.

Only really suitable one's are Sophie, Amelia and maybe Grace.

the name needs to have longevity as this child will be monarch in about 60 years time

I'm hoping for a boy.

I must be the only person that really, really, really does not want the names Elizabeth, Victoria, Diana, Spencer, Franc(i)(e)s, or Phillippa anywhere near this baby. It's time to bring a new name into the BRF. I fully realize there aren't going to be any Jennifers or Tiffanys or Blue Ivy Harper Seven Apple Seraphinas, but if they're going to modernize the succession laws put a possible Queen on the throne, why not a more modern name?
:lol: No you are not the only one who is tired of same names over and over again, Elizabeth, Victoria, Anne, Jane, Diana, Louise, Frances, Albert, Arthur, George, Charles, and so on and so on. :whistling:I would like to see some new "proper" names introduced to the line of succession like Charlotte, Carolina, Amelia, Emily, Rebecca, Steven, Mark, Matthew, Michael, Lucas, someting that hasn't been used in the direct royal family either for a while or not at all. I know I probably won't get my wish or will get critised for saying this but thats my opinion. :flowers:

Then the kid would be Queen Queen? :lol::lol: Also, it's a name that reminds me of something too personal to mention. ;)

I don't think so. I bet they will pick a very traditional name like Elizabeth or Victoria:)

So you keep saying. :whistling:

The Cambridges' are a traditional couple.

Boy- William Philip Charles Michael
Girl- Catherine Elizabeth Diana Carole

BTW, I think the baby will be a boy!

They will choose a traditinal name

I think they're having a girl

Last edited:
Then the kid would be Queen Queen? :lol::lol: Also, it's a name that reminds me of something too personal to mention. ;)

You're not the only one who thought of that too. :)

Come to think of it, Queen Regina is Queen Queen and then we'd have Regina, Queen Regnant in 60 some years time. Its a regal sounding name though.

Ok: my modified list for the kid.

Girl:

Georgiana (Gia)
Alice (perhaps Mary Alice)
Eleanor (Ellie)
Alexandra or Alexandrina

Boys:

Richard
Stephen
David
Alexander

:previous:
I like Sophia too; besides, it's the name of the Electress of Hanover who missed out on becoming a Queen Regnant of Britain by mere days.

Had never considered it up until now,I like it given the historical link!

I think anyone hoping for a 'modern' name is going to be disappointed. George, Edward, William, Henry etc. are not just popular with the royals, but with British parents in general. The traditional names have had a big revival over the last 10 years or so.

While the monarchy is being modernised (which is happening constantly; the institution never stands still despite what some people think), of greater importance is continuity. Choosing a name which everyone recognises as being regal and having been used before down the centuries is quite reassuring I think.

I've always thought Victoria requested that no future Monarch be called Victoria again after her?

There is a nice name from the far distant past of the Isles, Rowena. It is the feminine form of the first name of the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan. The archbishop, who participated in Will and Kate's wedding, will retire before the baby is born, so he could be a god father (I think--I don't know rules on that). Rowan would be a nice name for a boy, too. There are so many old nice names from the Saxon and Celtic past of Britain. My aunt's name was Margaret Ethelwyn, a Saxon name from the far past, and there are many more. Some digging into old records could be interesting.
I found one recently when reading a history of Glasgow cathedral. The founder of the cathedral (in a place already revered) was St. Kentigern. This would be too odd a name for the Prince to be, but it has a ring to it. Aidan was another saint of that far distant period in Scotland and Ireland. If you want to be traditional why not go whole hog into the early days of Britain?

Queen Rowena? King Aidan? I can't see them doing that. In regards to Aidan, that's way too Celtic, I think. Just like I can't see them naming their daughter Bridget. Considering England's history with Ireland over the centuries, I can't see the Cambridges choosing a first name that is associated with it, even tangentially. I think the last British monarch to have a name that in anyway tied to Ireland was the Duke of Windsor, and he was born before Irish independence.

I've always thought Victoria requested that no future Monarch be called Victoria again after her?
like if she ever know! unless she comes back from the dead to curse them if they name their daughter Victoria:lol:

Queen Victoria (II) is some name to live up to though (but again, so will a Queen Elizabeth (III) be). I still hope for either Margaret or Matilda. David is a lovely name for a boy and King David sounds nice. I do still have a fondness for Richard though :wub: that is a really wonderful name IMO.

Looking on the Spencer side, Johnny had 3 girls and 1 boy and his son Charles has 5 girls and 2 boys. So the Spencer side is predominately female. William does look more like the Spencer side somewhat so perhaps he's got the Spencer genes too?

As we all know the DoE can be somewhat stubborn. Perhaps after growing up with all women around him, he TOLD his little swimmers he wanted mostly males. :lol:

Spencer genes have nothing to do with the gender. The father's father's father's family's offspring are the only 'prognosticator' Determining the Sex of Offspring — Infoplease.com

I vote for Princess Gracie; the future Queen Grace! Don't care what other names they string along.

Archduchess Zelia, I can support Margaret or Matilda or David or Richard. But as for Celtic names, Rowena is NOT Celtic. It is, as far as I know, Anglo-Saxon. It was the name of a lady prominent in Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe". Lady Rowena, the Anglo-Saxon princess. And with her in the book was the Jewish lady, Rebecca. Rowena and Rebecca would make nice twin names--but they'd never live down having named the girls from Sir Walter Scott's novel.
Richard and David would be nice names for twin boys. Very dignified and traditional!

Last edited:
Archduchess Zelia, I can support Margaret or Matilda or David or Richard. But as for Celtic names, Rowena is NOT Celtic. It is, as far as I know, Anglo-Saxon. It was the name of a lady prominent in Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe". Lady Rowena, the Anglo-Saxon princess. And with her in the book was the Jewish lady, Rebecca. Rowena and Rebecca would make nice twin names--but they'd never live down having named the girls from Sir Walter Scott's novel.
Richard and David would be nice names for twin boys. Very dignified and traditional!

Yes, until the chavs of Britain call them Dick and Dave..... Will and Kate have to consider the cruel press and public.

David is fab, however.

Queen Rowena? King Aidan? I can't see them doing that. In regards to Aidan, that's way too Celtic, I think. Just like I can't see them naming their daughter Bridget. Considering England's history with Ireland over the centuries, I can't see the Cambridges choosing a first name that is associated with it, even tangentially. I think the last British monarch to have a name that in anyway tied to Ireland was the Duke of Windsor, and he was born before Irish independence.

So true.. and moreson since today's fuss in Belfast over flying the Union Jack on Kate's b'day.

They might even go very safe and simple. If its a girl, her name is Catherine (with a plethora of middle names) and a boy its William (same thing with middle names). No hidden meanings.. no muss no fuss. Pure and simple and traditional as the Queen herself was named for her mum. Boys took "George" to follow an example of dad and grampas.

I vote for Princess Gracie; the future Queen Grace! Don't care what other names they string along.

Y'know I've thought about that name too. Shows my age but I can just chuckle as I hear Gracie and think of Gracie Allen. You and her must be soul twins..... you both have a sheer inner sense of fun. :D

Actually I would not be surprised at a short, sweet, simple one syllable name for this child. We have Will and Kate and they obviously don't mind a bit being referred to as such. We've never seen Charles as Chuck or Charlie or Chaz or any derivative (ok.. there was Fred but... ) These are people that feel comfortable in the everyday world and will raise their children to be too.

From experience, there is no name in the world that given the opportunity, any child can come up with a rhyme to slur and denigrate the name. :D I thought I was safe with Maria. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom