Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If its a girl, definitely Elizabeth with Diana as the middle name

As for boy, perhaps Philip or Charles/Albert

I'm really hoping for a girl. Another reigning Queen in the way would be wonderful (we already have two Kings-in-waiting).

Girl - HRH Princess Elizabeth Victoria Diana Carole of Cambridge.

Boy - HRH Prince Edward Philip Michael Charles of Cambridge.

For godparent: Prince Harry, Pippa, Hugh van Cutsem and the Countess of Wessex. Maybe the Queen if the little girl will be named after Her Majesty.

Wouldn't it be a real hoot if they had boy/girl twins and named them Elizabeth and Philip?

I really do like those names too. Very regal if you ask me. I think I'm going to stick with my original brain blip of Georgiana for a girl and no serious feelings about a name for a boy yet.

Charlotte, Georgiana and Adelaide are all fantastic. All are very real possibilities. They could name the baby Catherine after her mother - not a name used by the BRF, but very traditional nevertheless.

IMO, it won't be Charlotte. It's too popular now and the BRF don't tend to follow trends regarding anything. Although it would be lovely - there almost was a Queen Charlotte rather than a Queen Victoria in the 19th Century but for Charlotte's untimely death. Charlotte is also the feminine version of Charles.

I'm virtually certain the name Diana will appear for a girl, but I do hope it's tucked somewhere in the middle - too much baggage for this child who will already have some big shoes to fill.

As for a boy, looking at the family tree, the names for British princes are much more mundane. Too many George's, Henry's and Edwards, IMO. I myself would like to see them branch out a bit with a very traditional but perhaps so far unused name. Alexander, perhaps. I could easily see Phillip.

I believe she's expecting a baby girl and she will have Elizabeth (after her mother, maternal grandmother and great-grandmother) and Diana (after her paternal grandmother) somewhere in her name.

Maybe they'll call her Elizabeth Diana Eleonor Grace

If it's a girl, then IMO Elizabeth won't be a Christian name, but a middle name instead. Here's my guess for a girl:

Victoria Elizabeth Diana Caroline- or maybe some of the Hanoverian names like Sophia, Charlotte, Adelaide and Amelia. I love the name Carlota but I don't think they'll choose it. Sophie is also a pretty name but we already have a Sophie in the BRF.

Here's my guess for a boy: If it's a boy then IMO the names Philip, William, Henry and Charles will definatly be in there somewhere. I don't think Charles will be used as a Christian name as we already have two people in the RF called Charles; the PoW and Viscount Linley's eldest son. So here's my guess for a boy:

George William Charles Henry or George Albert Philip Charles

I also love names like Christian, Edward and Leopold. But somehow I don't think they'll be used.

For godparents, I'd say probably Tom van Straubenzee, Prince Harry, Lord Max Percy and Lady Melissa Percy. Maybe some of the Spencers instead? Also, I read somewhere that the Devonshires are friends with the royal family so maybe someone like Bill Burlington? Although I don't know how friendly he is towards William and Harry. Just my guesses.

Last edited:
I'm virtually certain the name Diana will appear for a girl, but I do hope it's tucked somewhere in the middle - too much baggage for this child who will already have some big shoes to fill..

I'm hoping it doesn't appear at all! Remember the fuss when Earl Spencer named the daughter of his current wife Charlotte Diana?:bang:

I'm hoping it doesn't appear at all! Remember the fuss when Earl Spencer named the daughter of his current wife Charlotte Diana?:bang:
I really hope they put Diana somewhere in the child's name

What a lovely tribute

Last edited:
Girl - Mary Elizabeth Carol Diana
Boy - Albert Charles Phillip Michael

As for god parents: We need some royals, and Norway and Denmark are "family" so count the Crown Princely couples in, and probably Prince Harry. Then there has to be some non-royal family members, so Peter Phillips, Pippa and James Middelton are possible choices. I don't know what ratio they use in England in terms of godparents (ie if it's a girl, there are three female and two male god parents; if it's a boy, there are three male and two female godparents). Or is it just a big free-for-all for the couple to chose whomever they like

What fuss? Count Spencer had right to name his daughter after her aunt!

I would like a return to non-Hanoverian names. Like the Norman/Scots name Robert.
Like Margaret or Marjory (I believe "Margaret" came from a middle European perhaps Hungarian source, it means "pearl", and was unusual when Queen Margaret brought it to Scotland). I am not sure of the ethnic derivation of Marjorie (Margery) but she was the Scottish bride of Robert I. Anne or Anna goes back to the Bible and makes an end-run around Hanover. There are other Biblical names which could be interesting...take your pick.

What fuss? Count Spencer had right to name his daughter after her aunt!

Very little fuss, limited to people who pathologically hate Diana and would like nothing better than to erase her from history all together. In general, the same people who had a conniption fit that William gave Kate Diana's ring.

I am as certain that Diana and Elizabeth will appear in a daughter's name as I am certain the sun will rise in the morning. It's just a question of the order. Elizabeth is also a nod to Kate, whose middle name is Elizabeth.

I am also virtually certain Carole/Caroline/Charlotte would appear - but far more likely Caroline - this covers both Kate's mother and Charles.

"First Name Elizabeth Diana Caroline" Perhaps even Phillipa as a fifth name to cover Prince Phillip as this all important first born will inherit the throne.
"First Name Phillip Charles Michael"

I personally think that this child should have its own first name rather than named after someone close. As I said before, he or she has enough shoes to fill without being saddled with the first name of some larger than life figure in the family tree. That said, Will and Kate are a very conservative couple and the child's first name will be a very conservative, safe choice. No Xan, no alternate spelling such as Elysabeth, etc.

Very little fuss, limited to people who pathologically hate Diana and would like nothing better than to erase her from history all together. In general, the same people who had a conniption fit that William gave Kate Diana's ring.
Well, obviously Diana's brother had every right to include her name among her new-born daughter's; to suggest otherwise is just preposterous. As far as I remember, there was very little fuss indeed. Similarly, I have little doubt that should William and Kate have a daughter, Diana will be one of the middle names.

I did think giving Kate Diana's ring was somewhat unfortunate though. I understand the sentiments behind the move but if I were Kate, I'd prefer a ring that were uniquely mine and not laden with a very sad history of a failed marriage and tragedy.

How can an inanimate object be 'laden with a very sad history of a failed marriage and tragedy'? The ring had nothing to do with why the marriage failed. Seems like a bunch of superstitious mumbo jumbo IMO.

:previous:
Perhaps. I just shared my take.
Perhaps Kate saw it differently and was elated to receive the ring.

I remeber the DM headline - "Earl Spencer names his daughter after his sister Diana" (words to that effect) and then read that the little girl wasn't called Diana, it was just one of her other names.

As for the ring - I was very doubtful about it at first and felt that it was potentially adding a burden to Catherine - living up to Diana etc. But this hasn't happened and I've noticed that replica rings are named after Catherine (or Kate Middleton).

My name choices having been changing - currently they are Charlotte Mary Rose and Charles Philip Michael. IF there are twin girls, I think the other child will be called Alice Elizabeth

Let's stay on topic...we don't need to rehash the pros and cons of Catherine's engagement ring.

Any and additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Names and godparents please.

Zonk
British Forum Moderator

I would like a return to non-Hanoverian names. Like the Norman/Scots name Robert.
Like Margaret or Marjory (I believe "Margaret" came from a middle European perhaps Hungarian source, it means "pearl", and was unusual when Queen Margaret brought it to Scotland). I am not sure of the ethnic derivation of Marjorie (Margery) but she was the Scottish bride of Robert I. Anne or Anna goes back to the Bible and makes an end-run around Hanover. There are other Biblical names which could be interesting...take your pick.

Margery is a medieval form of Margaret. And Margaret originally has Latin origins in turn derived from a Greek word. St. Margaret is the patron saint of expectant mothers.

Oh For Heavens Sake!
Neither I nor anyone else commenting here "pathalogically hates" Diana! :ohmy:
We can simply see the way that the press would treat a child named after her. The name has become iconic (your reaction shows that) and the press would make so much of how this child will have to "live up to the image of her grandmother who, by the way, will be 37 years old for ever.
Diana had two names and the other would honour her and her family just as well and without the baggage.
As for Earl Spencers daughter: What other british Earl has produced a daughter who's birth and naming warranted a full page article in at least two daily newspapers???? Had he named her Charlotte Frances nothing would have been made of it. He named her Charlotte DIANA.

Oh For Heavens Sake!
Neither I nor anyone else commenting here "pathalogically hates" Diana! :ohmy:
We can simply see the way that the press would treat a child named after her. The name has become iconic (your reaction shows that) and the press would make so much of how this child will have to "live up to the image of her grandmother who, by the way, will be 37 years old for ever.
Diana had two names and the other would honour her and her family just as well and without the baggage.
As for Earl Spencers daughter: What other british Earl has produced a daughter who's birth and naming warranted a full page article in at least two daily newspapers???? Had he named her Charlotte Frances nothing would have been made of it. He named her Charlotte DIANA.

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. There was what, one or two articles about Earl Spencer's daughter? And they were really nice articles. They mostly commented that it was nice to honor Diana's memory that way.

That's exactly what would happen if/when William and Kate use that as one of their future child's names. It would be noted in the press right when the names were announced, probably in a mostly approving way, and then everyone would get over it. Let's not act like it would be a blight the child would carry forever- that's over dramatizing it quite a bit.

And let's also not forget that to William, Diana was not an icon, or a celebrity- she was just his mum and he loved her. If he chooses to remember her in this way, everyone should understand why and support it. If he doesn't, that's ok too.

It'd be fine, as either a first name or a middle name, and people would get used to it a lot faster than you seem to think.

Last edited:
I am as certain that Diana and Elizabeth will appear in a daughter's name as I am certain the sun will rise in the morning. It's just a question of the order. Elizabeth is also a nod to Kate, whose middle name is Elizabeth.

I am also virtually certain Carole/Caroline/Charlotte would appear - but far more likely Caroline - this covers both Kate's mother and Charles.

"First Name Elizabeth Diana Caroline" Perhaps even Phillipa as a fifth name to cover Prince Phillip as this all important first born will inherit the throne.
"First Name Phillip Charles Michael"

I personally think that this child should have its own first name rather than named after someone close. As I said before, he or she has enough shoes to fill without being saddled with the first name of some larger than life figure in the family tree. That said, Will and Kate are a very conservative couple and the child's first name will be a very conservative, safe choice. No Xan, no alternate spelling such as Elysabeth, etc.
I love the idea of Phillipa because that is also Pippa's real name.

Name for girl: Elizabeth Diana Caroline Phillipa
Name for boy: Albert Phillip Charles Michael

I'd love a little Matilda. It would be a nice tribute to Australia and also a nod to the first "Queen" of England (or to be more correct, Lady of the English), Empress Matilda, who was never actually crowned Queen which would make a new little Matilda the first British Queen Regent of her name, I believe. Matilda Caroline Elizabeth Diana perhaps? Or if they wanna use Carole's actual name, Matilda Elizabeth Carole Diana.

Richard would be sweet for a boy, but then again, there is the Duke of Gloucester who already "occupies" that name. Same with Alexander. So I'm thinking that if it's a boy, it'll probably be either an Arthur or a George. Arthur Francis Philip George or George Charles Arthur Philip maybe.

I like Matilda too, isn't that referring to the heir of William the Conqueror who was upset by another heir, Stephen? My Scots ancestor of that period, Fulbert the Saxon, fought for Matilda and had to leave England and take up residence in Scotland because of this. So I too like Matilda, if they don't call her Tilly. I can just see the press calling her Princess Tilly or just plain Tilly.

From the history of that period (the Stephen-Matilda fight) there were a number of royal Matilda's at that time, another one being a princess of Scotland. I suppose the name may derive from Matthew plus the suffix -ilda? Which I suppose is an Ango-Saxon suffix.

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. There was what, one or two articles about Earl Spencer's daughter? And they were really nice articles. They mostly commented that it was nice to honor Diana's memory that way.

That's exactly what would happen if/when William and Kate use that as one of their future child's names. It would be noted in the press right when the names were announced, probably in a mostly approving way, and then everyone would get over it. Let's not act like it would be a blight the child would carry forever- that's over dramatizing it quite a bit.

And let's also not forget that to William, Diana was not an icon, or a celebrity- she was just his mum and he loved her. If he chooses to remember her in this way, everyone should understand why and support it. If he doesn't, that's ok too.

It'd be fine, as either a first name or a middle name, and people would get used to it a lot faster than you seem to think.

Indeed. My point exactly. Is there really a need for some to get hysterical because William might want to name his child after his late mother?

Last edited:

I dislike Diana a lot but I like the name her brother gave his daughter and I hope the name figures in the Cambridges' daughter's name as well. I also kind of like that William gave Catherine Diana's ring. I am superstitious and personally would not want the engagement ring from a marriage that was unhappy and ended in a divorce but obviously William and Catherine are happy with their decision to use the ring and that's what matters.

It is actually possible to heavily dislike Diana(I hate to use the word hate) and not be bothered by her family honoring her. It's only right that they do so and I think quite a few haters would actually agree.

I just had another thought. I doubt this will happen but perhaps for one of their daughters they will use a name derived from the name Artemis. The Roman goddess Diana was called Artemis by the Greeks. Like I said it won't happen but I'm enjoying thinking about the possibilities. It would be a nice nod to the fact that Phillip was born a prince of Greece(I realize he is not actually of Greek heritage).

Last edited:
I read something awhile back that William like the name Alice. I am going to put that in the mix. I don't know about Diana. I think Frances might make it--to cover bother William's mother and Kate's father. (It is his middle name.) I think that Diana comes with big shoes to fill and if you already know that you are going to be Queen that should be enough shoes to fill if the previous Queen is your great grandmother who is a legend for all time! If we were talking spare maybe, but not first born daughter. I do believe that Elizabeth will be in there somewhere though.

If there is a son, then I think that Philip and Charles are going to make the final cut for names. Michael is a given almost and James might not make it because it is in use in the immediate family for a cousin.

i think Victoria for a girl just because having a Queen Victoria II would be amazing and have Diana in the name somewhere. For a boy I think James for James III.

Cynderella, if William likes the name Alice, then that shoots right up to a top position. It is a traditional royal name which hasn't seen recent use. It would honor the late Princess Alice, whom most of us admire so much. I love Princess Alice's middle name Cristabel, but the baby won't be born at Christmas, as Alice was, so that's probably not in consideration. In fact, an ideal (not likely but ideal) name for a baby Princess would be Alice Cristabel Caroline (for Kate's mother) Frances (for William's mother).
That's my nomination.
I'm not saying it won't be a boy. I don't have a clue there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom