Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really softening up to Frances/Francis as a middle name. It honours both Diana and Michael Middleton. I don't really like the name Diana, but they're probably gonna choose that for a middle name for a girl over Frances.

Something just occurred to me. Actually the first name will not necessarily be the regnal name as its quite common to use any one of the given names. Its very possible then that the first given name of the baby will be something totally unexpected with traditional other names.

If the first is going to be a name from a previous Queen or Queen Consort, I tend to lean towards Alexandra or Alexandrina. Or maybe even shorten it to Alexis.

Something just occurred to me. Actually the first name will not necessarily be the regnal name as its quite common to use any one of the given names. Its very possible then that the first given name of the baby will be something totally unexpected with traditional other names.

If the first is going to be a name from a previous Queen or Queen Consort, I tend to lean towards Alexandra or Alexandrina. Or maybe even shorten it to Alexis.

I'm not sure it's common at all. As far as I know, just three Monarchs in our history and one in Scotland used a regnal name which was different from their first name.

I think they may choose a relatively modern Christian name, but the middle names will have family links to them/ Elizabeth or Phillip will no doubt be in there somewhere, as tribute to his grandparents who have been a great support to William. I can't imagine Elizabeth or Philip will be a Christian name. No immediate family member has been giving them as Christian names.

Uh, I still can't get over "Estelle"... a French name for a child who should be the "Swedishest" of all Swedes, and instead of a name of several Swedish queens regnant (or at least queens consort) - Christina being the most obvious one. Yeah, I know, "it's a pretty name" and all that stuff, but still quite inappropriate.

ITA!!!
And I don't think it pretty at all.
But tastes differ.

I just think a (future) Swedish Queen ought to have a Swedish name!

I hope the Cambridges choose something very traditional for their child.

Three monarchs of the United Kingdom chose to reign under the last of their given names. Alexandrina Victoria was the first, choosing to reign under the name she had always used despite having been described as "Queen Alexandrina Victoria" in the first official documents. Her son Albert Edward chose to reign as Edward VII despite his mother's expectations of being succeeded by "King Albert Edward". Albert Frederick Arthur George chose to reign as George VI because the name George was more familiar, reminiscent of his father and less German-sounding - all of which was important in the period between his brother's disastrous reign and the Second World War.

That said, I don't think the first name of the child will not be the one intended as future regnal name. All monarchs who chose the last of their given names had a good reason to do so.

I want to add my thoughts to this thread, not that I'm disagreeing with anyone, but I simply want to document my prediction and see how close I come to being correct.

First, whether male or female, I believe the first name will be a traditional regal name found consistantly within the House of Windsor. Second, the secondary names will be predicted but they may fall within a different order. Here we go!

Male: (essentially any combination of these five names)
Edward Charles Michael Phillip
George Phillip Charles Edward
William George Phillip Michael

Femail:
Elizabeth Diane Carol Victoria
Victoria Elizabeth Catherine Frances

But there will be a Queen with this name in Spain (Leonor is the Spanish equivalent of Eleanor) so I think it's less probable.

I doubt the BRF or the British people care at all that a child on the continent might have a name which they wish to use themselves for a British princess.

It will be Catherine and William who choose the name, not British people.

It will be Catherine and William who choose the name, not British people.

Quite true, and while I am sure they will chose a solid British name for their child I very much doubt they would feel limited in their choices just because some continental prince or princess might already be using a name they like.

Female
Princess Catherine Elizabeth Diana Francis
Princess Matilda

Male
Prince Philip

Queen Elle??? Queen Primrose??? Queen Ella?? Queen Genevieve??? I think people have to put "Queen" in front of their choices and then think twice about what they would name a possible future monarch. The British royal family are not known for naming their children after soap opera characters or supermodels.
who would have thought that Victoria and Daniel would name their daughter Estelle? i like the name but it was unlikely for a Future Queen.
everyone said Victoria and Daniel were very traditional and look what we've got, the same can happen with W&C if they like a name thats 'not really fit' for a Future Monarch.

Victoria was not a very popular and used name back in the days too, it was Queen Victoria who gave the name a regal surrounding. maybe they will give a diferent name to a possible girl they have, so she would be The First of her name. (like in The Netherlands)

For a girl:

Mary Elizabeth Victoria Louise
Victoria Elizabeth Mary Alice
Elizabeth Catherine Frances Mary

For a boy:

Albert Charles Philip William
George Edward William Charles
Edward Charles William Louis

Girl:
Charlotte Elizabeth Alexandra Frances

Boy:
George Phillip Michael David

I like Catherine Victoria Frances Rose for a girl.

KPWillie, I like the euphony of your selection for a girl's name. But if they name her Catherine she must have a nickname. What could you imagine that to be? Cathy? Cathy Rose? They couldn't say "Catherine Victoria" every time they addressed her--too long.
So maybe a rearrangement of your selected four names might be in order, to Catherine Rose Frances Victoria, or better (because arrangement of end-s's) Catherine Rose Victoria Frances.
On the other hand, they might just address her as K2?
Names are fun, but hard, aren't they?

Last edited:
Name and Godparent Guesses ...

Boy:
David George Arthur Francis
Charles John Louis Michael
George William Philip Edward
Girl:
Georgiana Charlotte Elizabeth
Harriet Frances Alexandra
Charlotte Mary Philippa

Godparents:
David Linley
Hugh or Rose van Cutsem
Prince Harry
Princess Beatrice
JK Rowling
David Beckham
David Mayer de Rothschild
Princess Anne

What's the reasoning behind naming William "William"? And, it's not that hard to say the entire name "Catherine," it's usually pronounced as two syllables. She need not have a nickname.

I know many parents who have stood firm on the nickname thing - and if you do, your William can remain William in most circles, rather than be Will or Bill. In Hawai'i, even with a three or four syllable name, people still manage to say the whole thing.

Last edited:
who would have thought that Victoria and Daniel would name their daughter Estelle? i like the name but it was unlikely for a Future Queen.
everyone said Victoria and Daniel were very traditional and look what we've got, the same can happen with W&C if they like a name thats 'not really fit' for a Future Monarch.

Victoria was not a very popular and used name back in the days too, it was Queen Victoria who gave the name a regal surrounding. maybe they will give a diferent name to a possible girl they have, so she would be The First of her name. (like in The Netherlands)

oh, i like your thinking. Wouldn't it be great if they simply chose a name they really liked, like any other couple?

I just hope, if it's a boy, they don't name him Jayden. Or Braden. King Jayden...oh dear. (I do think they have great taste; both of them, so I trust them to choose wisely).

Both of my daughters have names fitting to be on a throne if necessary. ;)

They could name the baby Valerie like her grandmother, if it's a girl. Nice but not very common!

I like Catherine Victoria Frances Rose for a girl.

Ooooh...I've never thought of pairing those two names together before, but it's lovely and they really fit well w/each other in that particular order. Nice one!! :flowers:

Sigh...I know my given name will never make it and it's a shame as I've always thought it was a nice name. My name origins come from the Greek God of wine. Which considering I don't really like alcohol all that much, I find hysterical. :D

Anyway...Call it a hunch, but I have a feeling for a girl that Sophie will be one of the names. Kate and Sophie seem to get along really well and there were all those stories of Sophie helping out Kate in the run up to the Wedding...

As I said, just a hunch I have. The following are names I think could make it into the little Prince or Princess' name in a few months and are in no particular order w/one exception...

Elizabeth Katherine Rose

I've always loved that spelling of Kate's name for some reason I can't explain, so yes I do know she uses the spelling of it w/a "C", but that up there is just *my* personal preference of the spelling of the name. :) I've always said if I ever had a baby girl, that would be her name as I love them and the way they go together that way.

The others and these are in no kind of order whatsoever....

Charlotte Victoria Louise Diana (But *only* as a middle name) Anne Angela (one of HM The Queen Mum's names) Patricia

For a boy...

Peter Phillip Michael David Arthur Charles Patrick

And there are my picks. :flowers:

Girl: Alexandra Margaret Diana Anne

Boy: Philip Charles Arthur George

Frances Rose really does have a lovely ring to it... though I've always said that if you add Rose to any name it sounds even more beautiful.

Frances Rose
Elizabeth Rose
Victoria Rose

Victoria Elizabeth Frances Rose? :)

I highly doubt they would use John anywhere in a boy's name, since it's considered bad luck for the Windsors.

Girl:
Adelaide Victoria Frances Elizabeth

Boy:
Arthur Philip Edward Francis

If it's a girl, she might be called Diana Elizabeth or Mary. If its a boy I also think Arthur or Alexander might be chosen. For the godparents, I don't want to guess now.

I should imagine they will honour family members with the middle names, but I would like to think they would use different, yet still traditional first names.

For a girl - Alice Elizabeth Frances Rose
For a boy - Alfred Charles Michael Philip

I don't think they will use any name that has been recently used in their family for first names. This eliminates Eliza, Gus and Louis (children of Laura Lopes), Lola and Freddy (children of Tom Parker-Bowles), Albert and Leopold (children of Lord Nicholas Windsor), Xan and Cosima (Earl of Ulster's children), Lyla (Lady Rose Gilman's daughter), Senna and Tane (Lady Davinia Lewis's children), Savannah and Isla (Peter's daughters), Estella and Eloise (Lady Helen's daughters), Louise and James (Prince Edward's children) etc.

I wonder whether Eliza and Gus eliminate Elizabeth and Augustus, Freddy eliminates Frederick, Xan eliminates Alexander?

I notice everyone is choosing four names; isn't it three for a girl, four for a boy?
I know the Queen has three names but Prince Charles and both his sons have four.

I notice everyone is choosing four names; isn't it three for a girl, four for a boy?
I know the Queen has three names but Prince Charles and both his sons have four.

Princess Anne has four

Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise

I too think that a girl will have four names. Just like William and Harry, Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward. The Queen was given three names, yes, but so was her mother (Elizabeth Angela Marguerite), and at the time of her birth she wasn't meant to inherit the throne (just like Beatrice or Eugenie who also "only" have three names).

I am very excited, pleased and relieved to here William and Catherine's happy news and even better now that Catherine has been released from hospital to rest at home! Due to the early announcement of the pregnancy because of Catherine's hospitalisation we will have many months of speculation over potential names and godparents. Ever since there wedding when my royal watching has been re-enlightened when you read and learn about past and current royals, potential names have never been far from thought which I believe is different to the 18 or so months where it has been commentated 'yes she is pregnant as she is drinking water etc'
So I have always thought Frances/Francis would be a likely middle name to tribute both Williams mum Diana and Catherine's Dad Michael.
Assuming it is a girl I also believe Elizabeth will be in the mix, of course for the Queen but also as it is not only Catherine's but her mum Carole's middle names (while some see Carole as a step to common perhaps the Elizabeth will fit better). But to through my tip in I'd say Charlotte, which happens to be Pippa's middle name and the female form of Charles-nice hey ;o) and a historic and royal name from consort Queen Charlotte which is better than a celebrity type name. (My only reservation is Charlotte Monaco but it will be hard not using a name not associated with another living member of the royal family). Princess Alexandra is also his godmother so may that feature as it is also the name of a Queen consort.
Assuming it is a boy then I'm struggling more, I defiantly think Harry and James Middleton may be taken into account (James Middleton's middle name is William so they could honor the Dad and Uncle in one).
As to godparents, I defiantly think that William would want to follow the traditon of a Greek godparent so I guess it would be Crown Prince Pavlos.
I could go on and on; there will be people looking through there respective family trees to clues on potential names and through there godparents for clues on that; William was reportedly named after William of Gloucester a hero of Prince Charles who was fatally killed (I wonder if a similar scenario would occur or Princess Alexandra has Christable as a middle name like her Aunt Princess Alice as they were born on Christmas Day-another possible scenario (eg William and Catherine married on St Catherine's Day if the baby is born on a Saints Day or family members Birthday could that feature :eek:) much much to excitable
Mostly I just hope that have a healthy and enjoyable pregnancy and baby :eek:))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom