Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Arthur, but as someone said, probably they wouldn't use that. Although if the child eventually becomes King, he wouldn't have to use Arthur as the regnal name.
I like Alexandra, Caroline or Charlotte for a girl.

Would have to think more about godparent possibilities.

Both Queen Elizabeths were/are dominate queens, so that is very highly possible. The old knows the first queen by right being Elizabeth III highly possible. There may be a Victoria in there, the rest is up for grabs. A king named after his living uncle, unlikely. George Albert then maybe a Phillip somewhere is a possibility.

I like Arthur, but as someone said, probably they wouldn't use that. Although if the child eventually becomes King, he wouldn't have to use Arthur as the regnal name.

Monarchs can take any name they want to reign under, even one that is not amongst their given names.

Hmm ... I just noticed that I didn't propose any male names. Perhaps I'm psychic??? Oh, well ... here are my picks for little boys:

Philip Charles Arthur George
Arthur William Charles Philip
George William Michael Philip

One more addition to my predictions for a Princess. It seems I had completely forgotten the Carole -- Caroline angle ...

Caroline Elizabeth Frances Catherine:flowers:

I do like the idea of calling a little girl Elizabeth it would be a great tribute to the Queen and Queen Mother. Victoria was said to be a favourite of Prince Charles if he ever had a daughter not sure if William likes it though. Also I hate the idea of her being called Vicky or some nickname. Charlotte, Alexandra, Alice and Amelia are all lovely. And yes I can see Diana being used as a middle name, William gave Catherine her engagement ring so I can really see that happening if it's a girl. Don't like the name Albert for a boy besides Prince Albert of Monaco is already around. George and Phillip are both nice names. They could surprise us and go with something a little more modern as a middle name and call the baby that but officially they are known as something more traditional. Why would Camilla be a god parent when she is a step grandparent it makes no sense. God parents are chosen so if something happens they can help raise the child Camilla is too old and I see Catherine and William choosing their own generation as godparents. Harry, Pippa, I would love Peter or Zara and some royal from overseas and old friends are most likely. It's going to be an interesting few months......LOL

Unfortunately you can only read the article if you subscribe to the Times. And the Telegraph only allows you to read 20 articles a month without subscribing. I'd be broke if I subscribed to all the newspapers I wanted to read.

Here it is - I do subscribe

Although the sex of the royal baby is not yet known, speculation is already rife over his or her name.
Bookmakers believe that the most likely names are Mary, Victoria or Frances for a girl, and John for a boy. Among the least likely names were Wallis and Fergie.
The odds that the Duke of Cambridge will name his first-born child after his late mother, Diana, have been judged at between 9-1 and 12-1.
Odds of 9-1 for the name Frances were given by at least two companies. Frances was the middle name of Diana, Princess of Wales, as well as her mother’s first name. The name Elizabeth has odds of 16-1. As well as being the name of the present monarch and her mother, three of the Queen’s granddaughters (Zara, Beatrice and Louise) have it as a middle name. Elizabeth is also the middle name of the Duchess of Cambridge and her mother, Carole.
The Duke of Cambridge and his father the Prince of Wales both share the names Arthur and Philip. Arthur has been given odds of between 16-1 and 20-1, with Phillip judged more likely, with odds of between 10-1 and 12-1.
Bookmakers are also offering odds on a whole host of baby-related issues, including how much it will weigh at birth, who the godparents will be and what hair colour the baby will have. Paddy Power are offering odds of 6-1 that the baby will have ginger hair.
Predictions on the parenting website Mumsnet ranged from Mary and Matilda to Edmund and George. The social networking site Twitter was alive with suggestions ranging from Charles and Benedict to Phoebe and Genevieve.
#UnlikelyRoyalBabyNames was trending on Twitter last night with suggestions including Leroy, Tupac, Apple, Justin Bieber, Dave, Fanny and Bruce.
Bookmakers offered odds of 1,000-1 that the baby would be called Waynetta or Chardonnay; Wayne, Kevin and Sharon were given odds of 250-1.

This is related- for whom are William and Catherine godparents? I think Wills serves for Viscount Severn,Prince Konstantine Alexios, a Van Cutsem and they probably are more. But I have never heard anything yet about Catherine being a godmother. Anyone with a good memory out there?

Finally! I've been waiting for this:
Girl:
HRH Princess Victoria Alexandra Catherine Elizabeth of Cambridge
HRH Princess Alexandra Victoria of Cambridge
HRH Princess Amelia Elizabeth Alexandra Victoria of Cambridge

I would love for there to be a Queen Victoria II

Boy:
HRH Prince Michael James Alexander of Cambridge
HRH Prince Michael Phillip William Alexander if Cambridge

So happy for TRH the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge! The whole world has been waiting for this!

Now to see what Monaco is going to come up with??????

This is related- for whom are William and Catherine godparents? I think Wills serves for Viscount Severn,Prince Konstantine Alexios, a Van Cutsem and they probably are more. But I have never heard anything yet about Catherine being a godmother. Anyone with a good memory out there?

William is not godparent to Viscount Severn. According to Wikipedia he has three godchildren: Prince Constantine Alexios of Greece and Denmark, Tom Pettifer (son of Tiggy Legge-Bourke and pageboy at William & Catherine's wedding) and the adorable Grace van Cutsem, whom I'm sure we all remember from the wedding. :)

Finally! I've been waiting for this:
Girl:
HRH Princess Victoria Alexandra Catherine Elizabeth of Cambridge
HRH Princess Alexandra Victoria of Cambridge
HRH Princess Amelia Elizabeth Alexandra Victoria of Cambridge

I would love for there to be a Queen Victoria II

Boy:
HRH Prince Michael James Alexander of Cambridge
HRH Prince Michael Phillip William Alexander if Cambridge

So happy for TRH the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge! The whole world has been waiting for this!

Now to see what Monaco is going to come up with??????[/QUOTE]

Is it a competition :lol:

ps - love your first choic of names for a girl

Last edited:
Unless the Queen issues new Letters Patent, if the baby is a girl, she will not be a Princess until her grandfather becomes King. She's be Lady X. If the baby is a boy, it would be Prince X of Cambridge.

Unless the Queen issues new Letters Patent, if the baby is a girl, she will not be a Princess until her grandfather becomes King. She's be Lady X. If the baby is a boy, it would be Prince X of Cambridge.

Point taken.

Cepe
I guess it's not now. Thanks for the compliment!

I think QEII will leave her as a Lady and allow her to become a Princess under KCIII.

I do not care for the name Arthur, and I think it's another that has been regarded as bad luck, since Henry VIII's brother Arthur died without ever ascending the throne.
It just seems sort of dated.

As for the name Charlotte, since Earl Spencer just named his baby daughter Charlotte Diana, I think the Cambridges will avoid that as well.

Boy: William Michael Phillip Charles
Girl: Elizabeth Catherine Diana

I hope they don't use Arthur or Diana. Arthur is a bit too cliche (King Arthur), and I don't think I need to explain why Diana won't be the best choice for a first name. I hope to see an Isabella or a Grace (yes, I know the latter is more than unlikely, but it's still a nice and regal name) for a girl, and maybe a Nicholas for a boy. I also like the name Sophia, but since there's a Sophie in the family already, they'll probably avoid that name to prevent confusion.

I'm not sure about the godparents, but I do hope to see maybe the Countess of Wessex, since it appears her and Catherine have developed a bond. It would also be delightful to see Harry and Pippa in the mix, along with some friends outside of the royal circle.

Girl names:
Alexandra Victoria Francesca Beatrix
Georgina Francesca Victoria Alexandra

(2nd daughter)
Cecilia Caroline Charlotte Catherine

Boys:
George Francis Edmund Charles (1st son)
Alexander Frederick William James (2nd son)

(Francesca honors both Diana & her mother. Beatrix honors Diana's favorite grandmother who was also very close to Charles' grandmother.)

(Cecilia=Queen's grandmother; Caroline=Kate's mother, Charlotte=Charles)

(George in honor of the Queen's father, Francis in honor of Diana,
(Edmund for Diana's grandfather, can be replace with Edward for Diana's father but don't really care for that since it's William's uncle's name.)

I know royal tend not to have nicknames but I do like Frankie & Georgie whether boys or girls.

Godparent: Princess Anne to mend fences for not being selected as godparent to William.

Last edited:
First names for a girl:
- Elizabeth (Elizabeth I and II, Kate's second name)
- Victoria (Queen Victoria)
- Charlotte (Princess Charlotte of Wales, tribute to Prince Charles)
- Mary

If the tradition of 4 names holds, then I'd put my money on Elizabeth Diana Caroline Philippa or Victoria Diana Elizabeth Caroline.

First names for a boy:
- Charles (Charles I and II, Prince Charles)
- George (George I to VI)
- James (all the Kings of England and Scotland named James, plus Kate's brother)
- Henry (Henry I to VIII, Prince Harry)

If the tradition of 4 names holds, then I'd go with George Philip Alexander Michael or Charles Alexander Michael James.

As far as Godparents go, I'd expect to have:
- A member of William's immediate family (almost certainly, Harry)
- A member of William's extended family (one of the cousins like Peter, Zara, Beatrice or Eugenie)
- A member of the Spencer family (one of William's cousins)
- A member of Kate's family (probably, Pippa)
- A mutual close friend (one of the Van Cutsems or Tom van Straubenzee)

Also possible:
- Another family friend or couple's friend
- A member of Camilla's family (Tom or Laura - quite possible seeing as William appears to be very friendly with them and little Eloise was a bridesmaid)
- A member of one the royal houses, most probably one of the Greeks such as Crown Prince Pavlos (to honour Prince Philip's side of the family)

Last edited:
Wow its starts getting complex when you get grandchildren and great grandchildren of the monarch getting christened. Does anyone know who QEII's godparents were?

Wow its starts getting complex when you get grandchildren and great grandchildren of the monarch getting christened. Does anyone know who QEII's godparents were?

Godparents of Queen Elizabeth II: King George V (paternal grandfather), Queen Mary (paternal grandmother), Princess Mary [Viscountess Lascelles] (aunt), The Duke of Connaught (great-great-uncle), The Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne (maternal grandfather), Lady Elphinstone

Lately, they seem to be the kind of family that avoids having more than one close living member with the same name, while reportedly the Queen has give her blessing to the name and rejected Andrew and Fergie's choice of Annabel.

So possible names for a boy are likely Alfred, Edmund, Geoffrey, Lionel, Stephen, and Thomas. Possible names for a girl are likely Adela(ide), Alice, Arabella, Augusta, Constance, Emma, Frances, Isabel(a), Joan, Juliana, Mary, Matilda, and Maud. I am not sure how close William is to the Spencers, Margaret's family, Kents, and Glouchesters so I think Alexandra, Amelia, Cecelia, Charlotte, Eleanor, Gabriella, Helen(a), Victoria; Albert, Alexander, Arthur, George, Frederick, Leopold, Michael, and Robert are still possible too.

Unlike Sophia and Louisa, I think Caroline might be different enough from Carole to be used too. Victoria may come with too much weight. Charlotte was reportedly the name Diana wanted to use if she had a girl. If they are going with a name no living member has then the bookies might be right with Mary. While I consider Caroline, Mary, Alice and Alexandra too,

I vote for Charlotte Elizabeth Diana Carole

Arthur is used as a middle name and thus I do not think they see it as cursed like John and Richard. I believe Charles wanted it too, and Diana rejected it. While I consider George, Robert, and Alfred (Alfie) too,

I vote for Arthur Charles Philip Michael

I would like the godparents to be Harry, Pippa, Guy Pelly/Thomas van Straubenzee or a Van Custem, Alicia Pitt-Fox/Olivia Beasdale or another friend, Zara and Konstantinos-Alexios of Greece (william's godson/distant relative).

Isabella, Elizabeth or Charlotte and Arthur would be my picks. I'm thinking girl ;)

Well, we can easily predict what Baby Cambridge's middle names will be, as the pool of names for either sex is rather limited for future monarchs.

My guess is that Alexandra, Elizabeth, Mary, Victoria will most likely be in the mix if Baby Cambridge is a girl.
if Baby Cambridge is a boy, Arthur could definitely make an appearance as it is the middle name of Philip, Charles and our Papa-to-be. Charles, Philip, Henry, Edward, and George - some combination of these names will be thrown in somewhere as well.

My guess for names NOT to be included are David (abdication crisis) and John (unlucky within the family from what I recall).

I think either one of Kate's siblings and Harry will be god Parents. CP Pavlos or CP Felipe could be GPs as well - the families were close (are still close? not sure!). CP Hakkon is my wildcard for GP. The Van Cutsems and the Van Strabenzees would round out my guesses.

Hi,

I do like the name Charlotte. It hasn't been used since 1817 and may be consideed cursed also because of Charlotte's death then.
But, has Philippa been considered yet here? That name is very ancient and would be an honourable one; also recognizing her great grandfather.

I like James for a boy, as it would further honour Scotland.

Larry

John (unlucky within the family from what I recall).

Yes, John and Stephen are both considered unlucky in the British royal family due to the only 2 British Kings with those names. I also think it is very telling that there hasn't been a James since James II. Considering that James was run out during the Glorious Revolution I tend to doubt that name will be resurrected now.

I also HIGHLY doubt Arthur will be chosen as a first name. Because King Arthur only brings one image to mind. And not all of the connotations are great, after all his queen ran off with his best friend (not sure adultery is something this family is keen to reference in even a vague way at this point). Then of course there is the eldest son of Henry VII, who died so young and whose widow became the first of Henry VIII's six wives. I do think it is a name that the family has historically liked for a middle name but I don't think it's one that they would have use for a first name even before the marital troubles that plagued the last generation of royals. Now I doubt it will show up at all.

Hi,

I do like the name Charlotte. It hasn't been used since 1817 and may be consideed cursed also because of Charlotte's death then.
But, has Philippa been considered yet here? That name is very ancient and would be an honourable one; also recognizing her great grandfather.

I like James for a boy, as it would further honour Scotland.

Larry

Charlotte is a really pretty name!

I like James...a monarchal name, a strong name. Could be a middle name, but unlikely a first name as his cousin's name is James.

Last edited:
On the off-chance of twins I'm going to go with:

Boys:
1. Phillip Charles Arthur William
2. Patrick Michael James Thomas

Girls:
1. Charlotte Elizabeth Diana Catherine
2. Caroline Francis Philippa Mary

Boy then Girl:
1. Phillip Charles Arthur William
2.Caroline Elizabeth Diana Philippa

Girl then Boy:
1.Charlotte Elizabeth Diana Catherine
2.Henry Patrick William Michael

Edit: I don't think there have ever been twins in the direct line of succession in the BRF, have there?? With the association of hyperemesis gravidarum with twins, I'm hoping for such a situation!

Last edited:
For a girl definely - Diana Margharet. For a boy - Charles-Edward!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom