Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

I dont think Zara would reign as Baby George either :lol:

Haha, I meant Baby George (the new prince) isn't likely to change his name.

In my group of friends/family we refer to new babies as "Baby X" or "the Baby" for at least a few months, if not the first year or so.

Do we know why the Queen nixed Annabelle? I like it way more then Beatrice which is such an old name and wasn't in fashion back then and isn't now. I read Fergie wanted to use Victoria but Prince Charles wanted it in case he had a daughter. I like George for a name most George's I know get Georgie or G as a nickname. They might be able to relax a little more with the next baby? Naming wise I mean. I think his name covers pretty much everyone and it's a good strong name. All the George's I know or have met tend to have pretty strong personalities so it could be interesting. LOL William was nicknamed Thug by Diana I do hope George gives William a run for his money. LOL I'm sure Charles would find that really funny. I do think William and Kate will make good parents the hardwork has really only just begun.

William was nicknamed Thug by Diana I do hope George gives William a run for his money. LOL I'm sure Charles would find that really funny. I do think William and Kate will make good parents the hardwork has really only just begun.

Yes, according to many books, William was indeed a little terror as a child, and I would find it very amusing if his first-born son would give him a run for his money. It would be interesting to find out about George's childhood antics, and the reactions to the said antics by his parents/grandparents. Prince Charles has a sense of humor, I'm sure he'll be beyond amused by whatever it is the little guy brings out (as long as it's not dangerous, or extremely inappropriate).

I think all of the "he may reign as something else" is pure mindless media speculation, just like it is for Charles reigning as George VII.

The circumstances for Princess Alexandrina Victoria, Prince Albert Edward, and Prince Albert could not be any different. In the first two's case, they had been known by half of their regnal names all of their lives! It's not like "Princess Alexandrina Victoria of Kent" chose to reign as "Mary III" or "Albert Edward, Prince of Wales" chose to reign as "George V".

Prince Albert -> George VI was a one-off event that was necessitated by one of the darkest moments in the monarchy's history.

There's simply no logical reason as to why they would go by a name other than the one they've been called their entire lives.

I think we should just let HM's words do the talking here:

Upon Elizabeth's accession to the throne, she was asked by her Private Secretary what her regnal name would be, to which the Queen responded, "My own, of course—what else?"

YES!!!! They named him George! Thank GAWD it's not Charles or William or Henry. George Alexander Louis, best royal name I've heard in a long time.

I like the selection of Alexander but am bummed that this means no future Princess Alexandra.

No reason why not. Prince Andrew's last Christian name is Edward. Then along came Prince Edward a couple of years later.

The BRF doesn't have a lot of good choices for baby names, George is the best out of a bad bunch. It's sad that there can't be a Prince Alexander in the family.

The BRF doesn't have a lot of good choices for baby names, George is the best out of a bad bunch. It's sad that there can't be a Prince Alexander in the family.

No reason why not. Prince Andrew's last Christian name is Edward. Then along came Prince Edward a couple of years later.

However, it seems George is a very popular name in Britain. So those of us for whom it wouldn't have been first choice, will just have to learn to like it... but it's a strong manly name and the wee chap certainly appears to have strong features...

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed it, but did anyone guess George Alexander Louis (even if a fourth name was included, since we all assumed there would be four names...)???

Sorry if I missed it, but did anyone guess George Alexander Louis (even if a fourth name was included, since we all assumed there would be four names...)???

A lot of people guessed variations that included at least one, if not two of the names. I think I saw someone say they'd guessed all three, but included a 4th.

George is a fantastic name.
The name is making a comeback in Australia as I know a handful of young Georges. The feminine variations are already over trendy.

George Alexander Louis - it sounds well balanced and all names are apt.

George for many royal reasons - chiefly Prince Charles and King George V.
Alexander is popular with royals today - feminine of Alexandra (for the Queen) and is one of James Wessex's names.
Louis is very cool - sounds great - connection to William, to Philip's family, all the female Louises and is the same name as one of Camilla's grandsons.

George, Earl of St. Andrews and Alexander, Earl of Ulster, are both nice men. I am surprised that there is no name for Catherine's family - though George is the second name of her great grandfather, Frederick George Glassborow.
It's cute that all three names are the first names of the first born sons of all of Diana's siblings. George McCorquodale, Alexander Fellowes and Louis Spencer.
All blessings to Prince George.

It's cute that all three names are the first names of the first born sons of all of Diana's siblings. George McCorquodale, Alexander Fellowes and Louis Spencer.

Well spotted! I bet W&C never thought of that! Or it could be that we royal watchers have too much time on our hands :)

I would be surprised if it hadn't occurred to W&C who the various bearers of those names are.

Well spotted! I bet W&C never thought of that! Or it could be that we royal watchers have too much time on our hands :)

Do you really think that William doesn't know the names of his own cousins?

The names are well used in the Mountbatten family as well - Alexander and Louis - with Prince Philip's grandfather actually being orignally Prince Louis Alexander of Battenburg. The current Marquis of Milford Haven - the 4th - is also George Ivar Louis. The second Marquis, Prince Philip's other Mountbatten uncle was also George Louis Victor Henry Serge. The current heir has Louis as his third name as well. It is clearly a strong name in the Mountbatten family.

There are obvious and less obvious connections to many of William's relatives - Alexander is the male version of Alexandra - the Queen's second name.

We could go on and on finding links within the families - I assume that somewhere in Kate's family one or more of these names appear - but so far no reporting on that has been done.

The heir to the Duke of Gloucester is Alexander and the heir to the Duke of Kent is George and the heir to the Earldom of Althorp is Louis - so all three of the new princes names are names of family members who will inherit grand titles.

He was on a plane headed to Iceland. Not to diminish his death, but he was not killed going to fight anything. He had his problems, but I think he was a good man, and how the family perceived this, I do not know. My husband's first name is George, never called that and he hates it, but a family name just the same.

He was in the military, in a war, flying an airforce plane, on a military mission - that is KIA - as he was undertaking a military mission during a war.

It seems to honor the four monarchs who will have reigned before him: George VI, Elizabeth (Alexandra) II, and Louis for both Charles and William. Louis honors them both because it was the name of Charles's favorite Uncle and it's one of William's middle names. If they had continued the progression for two more names, he could have been Victor Edward George Alexander Louis.

Last edited:
It seems to honor the four monarchs who will have reigned before him: George VI, Elizabeth (Alexandra) II, and Louis for both Charles and William. Louis honors them both because it was the name of Charles's favorite Uncle and it's one of William's middle names. If they had continued the progression for two more names, he could have been Victor Edward George Alexander Louis.

He wouldn't have needed to add Victor to cover Victoria - one of her names was Alexandrina.

Really, his names cover every monarch since George I except William IV and Edward VII.

Mmm, can't say that I like the name very much.
Alexander is nice though.

Louis in Charles' and William's name seemed a given because of the favourite uncle Louis Mountbatten. But I wouldn't think William would use it for his son.
Maybe they just really like the name or would Louis Spencer be one of the godparents.

Are the godparents announced before the christening? What's the tradition on that?

Louis isn't one of Charles' names - Charles Philip Arthur George.

Louis is in Prince Edward's name - Edward Antony Richard Louis and also in William's. Louis is a very strong name in the Mountbatten family and although this is the BRF it is also part of the Mountbatten family through Philip.

Godparents will be announced when they are announced but either just before or on the day of the christening.

And the fourth of the Princess Royal's names is also Louise.

Godparents
Prince Harry
James Middleton
Pippa Middleton
Prince Pavlos of Greece
Zara Philips

I think there will a few friends rather than all the obvious family members and I don't think James Middleton will be a godparent of this child - Harry and Pippa are given - Pavlos or another Greek - maybe a cousin and then a friend of Kate's and a friend of William's and even an older person maybe and older relative such as one of William's uncles or aunt.

Alexander would have been a better first name. George sounds so old..
Anyway, his parents choice..So its good enough..

I think James Middleton is a more likely choice for godparent than Pippa, since Pippa's been a bridesmaid for the Royal Wedding.
(So now James should get a turn).

Probably Harry, and at least one close friend for the third godfather.

Zara may very well be godmother, or perhaps Sophie Wessex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom