Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I still like Philip - to honour The Duke of Edinburgh. But, Geoffrey is an old Plantagenet name and would be different.

Also Plantagenet - Eleanor. I also favour Alexandra and Charlotte.

Larry

I think this forum would blow up. The combination doesn't sound like it would go together. Though I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Diana, Elizabeth or Carole as part of the name. Or they could forgo the name Diana just so they don't saddle the kid with unforseen pressure to be like their grandmother.

Francesca? Why would they go French and not simply Francis/es for Diana and Michael? And for a British princess?

Francesca is an Italian name. The French equivalent of Frances is Francoise (or, less commonly, France).

I would think that only British tradition names would be used for a future British monarch.

I can see Andrew gaining a little in the middle name spot maybe instead of Arthur. They both love Scotland, meet at St Andrews Univ. plus Kate is tennis mad and Andy Murray just won.

I also like Joanne and Alexis as middle names for future kids as William always remembers his 2 fallen military comrades on his Remembrance Day wreaths.

I would be very surprised if a girl is born if Elizabeth is not among the names.

In fact, I can see Elizabeth appearing somewhere in the names of at least one girl child in each of the grandchildren's family (Peter, Zara, William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise and James).

Isla Elizabeth Phillips being the first...

A lot of the answers here seem more like what various posters would like to name their child, than what William and Kate might actually name their child.

Maybe if it's a girl, they will name it Amelia. Not only is it beautiful, Catherine's maternal great-great-grandmother was named Amelia.

Princess Amelia of Cambridge sounds great. :flowers:

Maybe if it's a girl, they will name it Amelia. Not only is it beautiful, Catherine's maternal great-great-grandmother was named Amelia.

Princess Amelia of Cambridge sounds great. :flowers:

Amelia is a beautiful name, but you have to remember, this child will be the future monarch. So for every name you think of, you have to put "King" or "Queen" in front of it. Princess Amelia sounds pretty, but Queen Amelia...it sounds a bit off.

Amelia is a beautiful name, but you have to remember, this child will be the future monarch. So for every name you think of, you have to put "King" or "Queen" in front of it. Princess Amelia sounds pretty, but Queen Amelia...it sounds a bit off.

Plus: there will already be a Queen Amalia in the Netherlands in a couple of years...

maybe i'm wrong but if it's a girl I think they will name her Alice.
Alice was the name of Prince Philip's mother and would be a lovely tribute to him. It's also the name of one of Queen Victoria's daughters.

Princess Alice Charlotte/Carole Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge.

If it's a boy I think they will name him George.

Last edited:
Plus: there will already be a Queen Amalia in the Netherlands in a couple of years...

In fairness, Catharina-Amalia in the Netherlands. If we rule out names already in use, Victoria, Eleanor, Elizabeth and Alexandra can be ruled out as well.

Amalia of the Netherlands would likely be at the point of abdicating by the time Baby Cambridge comes to the throne, not that we in the UK care much about what some continentak royal is named anyway.

Alice is such a frequently recurrent name in the BRF that it does seem likely, Leticia. If it's a girl. I think it's good to honor good King George VI, but I'm hoping for David George or Alexander George. Or even Robert George--the Scots names which are the medieval background of the BRF.

Amalia of the Netherlands would likely be at the point of abdicating by the time Baby Cambridge comes to the throne, not that we in the UK care much about what some continentak royal is named anyway.

Catharina-Amalia is only 10 years older than baby C. Her grandmother and great-grandmother were in their seventies when they chose to abdicate. With the advances in medicine, CA could very likely chose to reign well into her eighties. If she abdicated at 75 like her grandmother, Baby C would be a 65 year old woman, and William 96. The likelihood William will be alive and still king at 96 are not overly high. And even if he is, Baby C would very likely be quickly queen. We're not Victoria, who is the same generation as Will and Kate.

maybe i'm wrong but if it's a girl I think they will name her Alice.
Alice was the name of Prince Philip's mother and would be a lovely tribute to him. It's also the name of one of Queen Victoria's daughters.

Queen Victoria's second daughter to be exact who was the grand-mother of Philip's mother.

Queen Victoria - Alice - Victoria - Alice - Philip - Charles - William - Baby C.

Queen Victoria's second daughter to be exact who was the grand-mother of Philip's mother.

Queen Victoria - Alice - Victoria - Alice - Philip - Charles - William - Baby C.

Both Alices have a wonderful legacy, one that would add to the name.

Alice of Hesse (not only grandmother to Philip's mum but also mother of the last Czarina of Russia) was mourned both in GB and Hesse when she died. Alice was a friend of Florence Nightengale,and used this friendship during the Prussian war, to help raise funds for the hospitals. She was known for her care for the wounded and sick. She was not popular at first as Grand Duchess, and was often over whelmed, but became well loved and respected for her social reforms. She also created the Alice hospital, as well as programs to educate women and train nurses. Her mother was angered that she chose to breast feed, but her interest in gynecology, and her influence in the hospital, led to changes in women's health.

And of course Philip's mother. She holds the incredible distinction and honor of being named a Righteous among Nations. This was an honor granted Non-Jewish people, who risked their lives and or liberty to save Jews during the holocaust. Alice remained in Greece with Princess Nicholas (mother of Marina, Duchess of Kent), in her brother in law George's house. She helped the red cross, and soup kitchens, and would go out after curfew to feed people, at the risk of being shot. She housed Rachel Cohen and two children, Jews who had been in Greece for safety, when the Germans took Athens. Rachel's husband had aided George I of Greece, and the king had promised the man aid in the future. Alice honored this, and doing so, saved the lives of the three Cohens.

Wonderful way to honor Philip, naming a baby for his mother and great-grandmother. But also an incredible legacy of a name.

There are others too:

-Princess Alice, Countess of Althone: granddaughter of Queen Vic by her son Leopold. Sister in law of Queen Mary (married to her brother Alex)
-Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester: mother of the current Duke,

In fairness, Catharina-Amalia in the Netherlands. If we rule out names already in use, Victoria, Eleanor, Elizabeth and Alexandra can be ruled out as well.

Which country is a Princess Alexandra the future queen? There is a Ingrid-Alexandra of Norway, but no future Queen Alexandra's to my knowledge. Also, there is a future Queen Elisabeth of Belgium, but no future Queen Elizabeth of Belgium or any other country. Lastly, so far Infanta Leonor of Spain is the heiress presumptive to the heir of the Spanish throne and sometimes her name translated to English is Eleanor, but mostly her name is referred to as 'Leonor.'

With all the strange names people are naming their children nowdays (Apple, Blue,Seven)etc. If it is a princess, I hope they won't name her Britannia...but then of course, she would have her own song...."Rule Britannia"!

Which country is a Princess Alexandra the future queen? There is a Ingrid-Alexandra of Norway, but no future Queen Alexandra's to my knowledge. Also, there is a future Queen Elisabeth of Belgium, but no future Queen Elizabeth of Belgium or any other country. Lastly, so far Infanta Leonor of Spain is the heiress presumptive to the heir of the Spanish throne and sometimes her name translated to English is Eleanor, but mostly her name is referred to as 'Leonor.'

If you look, I was responding to a post that said Amelia was an OUT, because of Catharina-Amalia. Based on that poster's reasoning, I was asking what other names had to be eliminated.

Yes I was speaking of IA, which you are aware of, though being snide about it. If Amelia is out based on Catharina-Amalia, by the same reason Alexandra should be out, based on Ingrid-Alexandra. Catherine as well, should have added that to the list.

Elisabeth/Elizabeth is the exact same name, pronounced the same way, just spelled differently which is common in different languages. If Amalia and Amelia are considered the same name, even though pronounced different, well again stands to reckon Elizabeth should not be used as Elisabeth is in use.

Leonor and Eleanor are the same name, variations in different languages, but same name. Leonor will be queen. Spain is changing the law, and her parents don't plan on any more children it has been said.

I didn't say the names couldn't be reused. I was responding to another poster, and asking if by their post, we had to eliminate all names already in use by a heir.

Last edited:
Countesmeout, thanks for that interesting info on the royal Alices. The name does have great historical interest. It would be a fine name for Baby C. I am interested especially in the new to me info on Alice of Greece. I already had an admiration for Alice of Gloucester. Hoping that will be the name...I've been in the Alice contingent for some time.

I know it's a royal tradition but I hope they will opt for other equally classy yet modern names.

I don't understand why some write Ingrid Alexandra as Ingrid-Alexandra, there's a big diference there. Instead Catharina-Amalia will probably reign with her double name like her father, but IA will reign only Queen Ingrid, like all her ancestors and also will her father (before he was Crown Prince, he was known as Prince Haakon Magnus, but then he became just Haakon after being 1st in line to the throne, the same will happen to IA, she will be just Crown Princess Ingrid of Norway). Plus, her parents call her just Ingrid, as shown in many clips of the family.

Eleonor is a variant of Leonor, but I always hated the "convertion" of a given name to other language, if she is named Leonor, she should be Leonor in all languages.

I think we all can expect for a girl: Charlotte, Alexandra, Mary, Elizabeth, Victoria, Alice, Anne, Alice... I think this are the most likely though...
For a boy: unfortunately George... I hope they can think of Arthur and Richard, I absolutely love those names, they are regal and majestic.

If you look, I was responding to a post that said Amelia was an OUT, because of Catharina-Amalia. Based on that poster's reasoning, I was asking what other names had to be eliminated.

I was the one who brought Amalia of the NL in this thread, but if 'that poster' referred to here is me, than please note that i did not necessarily say that the name therefore was to be eliminated...
I thought it was funny that the Sister Morphine that i responded to was saying that Queen Amelia sounded off when in the NL we will have a Queen Amalia in a few years :lol:
Okay, maybe i shouldn't have used the 'plus' in that reply, but pardon me for not being a native english speaker..

I like the name Alexandra, but it doesn't seem truly British.
Wasn't Queen Alexandra from the Danish RF?

Yes she was, though I would think that name would be more English then Danish. Well according the the wiki her father Prince Christian succeeded distant cousin Frederick VII in 1863. She married Edward VII in 1863.

Last edited:
Before her, the only other was Alexandrina, better known to us as Victoria. Victoria was named in honor of her godfather, Emperor Alexander of Russia.

When royals used to marry other royals, foreign names would often enter the family, and many would take root. Victoria was named for her godfather, because her grandfather didn't believe naming a possible heir to the throne for her German mother, was appropriate. Odd that a German name was not good for a future queen of GB, but a Russian one was.

Alexandra/er/ina has featured in several royal houses including German, Russian, British and Danish. The name is technically a Latin version of a Greek name.

Before her, the only other was Alexandrina, better known to us as Victoria. Victoria was named in honor of her godfather, Emperor Alexander of Russia.

When royals used to marry other royals, foreign names would often enter the family, and many would take root. Victoria was named for her godfather, because her grandfather didn't believe naming a possible heir to the throne for her German mother, was appropriate. Odd that a German name was not good for a future queen of GB, but a Russian one was.

In fact, Princess Alexandrina Victoria's uncle, the Prince Regent was the one who forbade the Duke and Duchess of Kent to name their daughter with names like Georgiana, Augusta and Charlote, so they came up with Alexandrinha Victoria.

The grandfather, King George III, wasn't able to take nothing in consideration by the time his granddaughter was born. The King was completly mad.

Some good choices, HereditaryPrincess!

I don't think it's a given that Baby Cambridge has a distinctly Spencer/Middleton name. (though it's likely)

Here are some that I like. I like Helena in particular.

Anne Victoria Frances Elizabeth
Elizabeth Philippa Frances Mary (nice nod to both great-grandparents and aunt)
Elizabeth Catherine Beatrice Rose
Margaret Elizabeth Catherine Frances
Mary Alexandra Catherine Elizabeth (could go by "Mary Alexandra")
Mary Alice Elizabeth Carole
Patricia Elizabeth Mary Louise (kind of a longshot but it's been used in the family before)

Charles Henry Philip George
Edward William Henry Michael
Henry Philip Michael Charles
Richard Albert Philip David

I like Helena too. It's a very pretty name. I like all of your suggestions, but my favourite ones are: Elizabeth Catherine Beatrice Rose, Mary Alexandra Catherine Elizabeth (Princess Mary Alexandra of Cambridge sounds lovely IMO), Charles Henry Philip George and Richard Albert Philip David. :flowers:

Now I'm thinking Alexandra could also be likely for a girl. These could be possible Alexandra combinations:

Alexandra Victoria Mary Elizabeth
Alexandra Louise Elizabeth Rose
Alexandra Elizabeth Catherine Diana
Alexandra Helena Caroline Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom