Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What great-grandparent is Mary honoring? Queen Mary was Elizabeth's great-grandmother. This baby's great grandparents are Elizabeth, Philip, Frances, John, Peter, Valerie, Ronald and Dorthy.

Queen Mary was Elizabeth's grandmother, not great-grandmother.

HM's full name is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary; she bears the names of the three Queen Consorts who came before her (although, her mother of course wasn't Queen consort at the time): her mother, Elizabeth, wife of George VI, her grandmother, Mary, wife of George V, and her great-grandmother, Alexandra, wife of Edward VII.

I think it's pretty much a given that if the child is a boy, he will have four names. All of the male descendants of HM in the family have that number.

If Baby Cambridge is a girl do you think they'll go with three or four?

I thought that maybe three names would be given to the royal babies who didn't really have a shot at the throne, but at the time each of these ladies were born, none were thought to be real contenders for the throne. Yes, the Queen was third in line at her birth, but it was generally thought that David would marry and have legitimate issue, so in 1926 it wasn't forgone that she'd ascend the throne.

However, both the Princess Royal and Lady Louise were christened with four names, so "throne distance" isn't a factor. Do you think there is a reason (outside of preference of the parents) that three Mountbatten-Windsor girls have three names, and two have four names?

NOTE: I didn't include the children of the Princess Royal in this tally.

Still pulling for a Charlotte, despite the Spencer connection, as I just don't think it matters due to the literal and figurative distance between these potential 1st cousins-once-removed. Or, for a boy, Philip.

I hope Catherine is getting some good rest in these last days of pregnancy! It won't be long, now!

Having some trouble with your math. You said you were not including Anne's kids, so who is the fifth? You have 3 with 3 names, and 2 with 4 names, that is 5. Anne and Louise, Bea and Eug are only four.

Anne was second in line when she was born. So unlike Louise, she was pretty close to the throne.

Patricia was a middle name. She was Victoria Patricia Helena Elizabeth, and got the name Patricia as she was born on St. Patrick's day.

She was known as Princess Patricia though. Hence the regiment named after her : Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

She was known as Princess Patricia though. Hence the regiment named after her : Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

While that is true (I live about 5 miles from the base where the light infantry calls home), her name was Victoria. And the likelihood of Patricia being used as a first name is really slim to none. Her grandmother was alive when she was growing up, likely the reason she went by Patsy, and not Victoria as a child. A number of royals have gone by a middle name as a child. Princess Mary, the last Princess Royal, was Victoria Alexandra Alice Mary.

And yes, I apologize, Queen Mary is the queen's grandmother. But using Mary as an honor to the queen? If we are already using Elizabeth, why would Mary be an honor to her as well? If they were going to honor the great-granparents, it would seem more likely they'd not honor the same one twice IMO.

Princess Alexandria of Kent has 5 names and wasn't close to the throne. I tend to think like a previous poster about girls names being longer so may that is why there is 3 names sometimes.

there is no foregin royals as godparents for william besides king C of greek but he is as friend to the famiky guess

Patricia was a middle name. She was Victoria Patricia Helena Elizabeth, and got the name Patricia as she was born on St. Patrick's day.

While that is true (I live about 5 miles from the base where the light infantry calls home), her name was Victoria. And the likelihood of Patricia being used as a first name is really slim to none. Her grandmother was alive when she was growing up, likely the reason she went by Patsy, and not Victoria as a child. A number of royals have gone by a middle name as a child. Princess Mary, the last Princess Royal, was Victoria Alexandra Alice Mary.

While I am not suggesting that Patricia is a likely choice of name, I don't understand your point.

If the Cambridges wish to use a name that has previously been used in the BRF, why should they restrict themselves to first names? The Yorks chose the name Eugenie, inspired by Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg. I should say that was just as unexpected a choice as Patricia would be.

Last edited:
While I am not suggesting that Patricia is a likely choice of name, I don't understand your point.

If the Cambridges wish to use a name that has previously been used in the BRF, why should they restrict themselves to first names? The Yorks chose the name Eugenie, inspired by Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg. I should say that was just as unexpected a choice as Patricia would be.

The difference being Victoria Eugenie is a double barell first name like Juan Carlos or Anne Marie. Eugenie was not a middle name or nickname.It also has a royal history. Patricia is based souly on the birthday of Princess Victoria of Connaught. Its like Princess Alexandra having Christobel, due to her Christmas birth.

The further difference, at the time of her birth, Eugenie was already sixth in line for the throne, and never likely to be queen. A more uncommon royal name was not out of place. This baby may be third in line at birth, but will be heir after his/her grandfather and father.

Carolyn Harris, David is the name not only of Wales' patron saint but also of a foremost king of Scotland in medieval history, David I. Although most people on the RF think a Scots name will not be chosen, I would like to say that David I was a fair and moral king, and any fights he had with England were not of the standard brutality; in addition, he was of the Norman culture, although he had other ethnicities in his makeup, and was raised most of his youth in England.
I also second your thoughts about Peter...good name for the Prince.

The difference being Victoria Eugenie is a double barell first name like Juan Carlos or Anne Marie. Eugenie was not a middle name or nickname.It also has a royal history. Patricia is based souly on the birthday of Princess Victoria of Connaught. Its like Princess Alexandra having Christobel, due to her Christmas birth.

The further difference, at the time of her birth, Eugenie was already sixth in line for the throne, and never likely to be queen. A more uncommon royal name was not out of place. This baby may be third in line at birth, but will be heir after his/her grandfather and father.

None of that means that the Cambridges cannot choose any of those names. Unlike some royal families, the British RF does not have naming traditions that are set in stone.

The point is the BRf tends to choose pretty traditional names, at least for those expected to inherit. The Cambridges can't chose just any name, the queen does have some say (think Diana wanting John, Andrew and Fergie wanting Arabella, Princess Margrat's original name was vetoed by her grandfather)

Princess Frances Catherine Elizabeth Mary
Princess Diana Elizabeth Carole Mary
Or

Prince James Phillip William Henry
Prince George Phillip Charles William

Godparents I would like to see crown prince Pavlos as one of them plus prince Harry

The point is the BRf tends to choose pretty traditional names, at least for those expected to inherit. The Cambridges can't chose just any name, the queen does have some say (think Diana wanting John, Andrew and Fergie wanting Arabella, Princess Margrat's original name was vetoed by her grandfather)

Undoubtedly the Queen is consulted, and she offers advice. Her knowledge, experience, and wisdom will inform the final choice of name. I doubt it is anything as draconian as a veto. George V may have vetoed a name for Princess Margaret (not Margrat), but that was a long time ago and things have changed a lot in the BRF since then.

I daresay that the Yorks agreed that their first choice of Annabel (not Arabella) might carry some unfortunate connotations, once HM had reminded them of the eponymous nightclub.

As for John being an unlucky name, I rather doubt that HM would worry about that since she gave her own son the name Charles. Perhaps it was someone else who put Diana off using the name.

Well HM is the legal guiardian of minor royals so I guess if she says no it means no. Royal parents cannot even take their children on holiday outside of the country without HMs permission. I doubt she would ever refuse, but still it remains within her legal powers.

Well HM is the legal guiardian of minor royals so I guess if she says no it means no. Royal parents cannot even take their children on holiday outside of the country without HMs permission. I doubt she would ever refuse, but still it remains within her legal powers.

Interesting. I never knew that.

Eugenie's name was actually inspired by Empress Eugenie, widow of the former Emperor of France, Napoleon III. Sarah, Duchess of York, spoke about a painting of the Empress Eugenie which intriqued her. Princess Victoria Eugenie, later Queen of Spain, was also named after Empress Eugenie.

If it's a girl: Mary Elizabeth Charlotte Anne
If it's a boy: Phillip Charles Francis William

I can't wait! :)

Edited to add: I will be stunned if they choose Carole or Diana.

As a first name I agree, stunned if they don't include Carole as a middle name. Kate will want a nod to her own family, and Carole is more likely than Philippa IMO. Perhaps Caroline, as a more regal sounding form of Carole, even as a first name.

There are a lot of people that they will most likely want to honor by including in the child's name. They are fortunate that they can use the Frances/Francis name to honor both Diana and Michael Middleton, as well as Caroline/Charlotte/Charles to honor Charles and Carol Middleton. Even Elizabeth is a nod to both Kate and Carol as it is their middle names.

There are a lot of people that they will most likely want to honor by including in the child's name. They are fortunate that they can use the Frances/Francis name to honor both Diana and Michael Middleton, as well as Caroline/Charlotte/Charles to honor Charles and Carol Middleton. Even Elizabeth is a nod to both Kate and Carol as it is their middle names.

Clever way to avoid upsetting a relative and keep everyone happy, too. My middle name was given to me to honour a good friend of my mother's but my aunt of the same name always thought it was for her. :D

Eugenie's name was actually inspired by Empress Eugenie, widow of the former Emperor of France, Napoleon III. Sarah, Duchess of York, spoke about a painting of the Empress Eugenie which intriqued her. Princess Victoria Eugenie, later Queen of Spain, was also named after Empress Eugenie.

My first thought at the time was Empress Eugenie, but I clearly remember an interview with Sarah in which she talked about Princess Victoria Eugenie. I had never heard of her until then.

Eugenie was named after Princess Victoria Eugenie not Empress Eugenie, it's been confirmed many times.

Last edited:
Catherine and her mother Carole's name both start with a C so if a girl maybe the 1st name will start with a C. So I'll go back to my original one.

Cecilia Caroline Charlotte Catherine

Charlotte or Cecila Dagmar or Daphne or Davina Elizabeth Francesca

Or may Grape is the initals of the baby;
George Robert Albert Peter (Phillip) Edward
Georgina Rosemary Alice (Alexandra) Phillipa Elizabeth
Genevieve Rosemary Alexandra Phillipa Elizabeth

(or some other names that make up grape)

Has anyone here actually placed any bets on names?

I've just had a little flutter or two :whistling:

Just thought of something...

W/Princess Alexandra both being one of William's Godmothers and also in such poor health sadly, i would not be shocked in the slightest if it is a little Princess, for her to have Alexandra be used as one of her names. I was firmly in the Charlotte camp for a little Princess, and still am, but now I'm split between the two after realizing that a few minutes ago.

Catherine and her mother Carole's name both start with a C so if a girl maybe the 1st name will start with a C. So I'll go back to my original one.

Cecilia Caroline Charlotte Catherine

Charlotte or Cecila Dagmar or Daphne or Davina Elizabeth Francesca

Or may Grape is the initals of the baby;
George Robert Albert Peter (Phillip) Edward
Georgina Rosemary Alice (Alexandra) Phillipa Elizabeth
Genevieve Rosemary Alexandra Phillipa Elizabeth

(or some other names that make up grape)

Rosemary? I highly doubt they would include Camilla and her mother, and even less, that they would do so and not include an honor to Diana. Will is mommy whipped, he could never dishonor her like that.

Dagmar? Daphne? Davina? Dagmar for a British princess. Danes don't even go that traditional any more. George V's sister Louise may have had the name, but their mother was also a Danish princess, and her sister was Dagmar. Davina may be a Windsor name, but not for a future heiress IMO, and Daphne seems out of left field. Francesca? Why would they go French and not simply Francis/es for Diana and Michael? And for a British princess?

George Richard Arthur Philip Edward- if you want Grape

If it is a princess born on the 17th - where do you think Camilla will be in the list of names?

If it is a princess born on the 17th - where do you think Camilla will be in the list of names?

If the baby's born on Camilla's birthday and is a girl they should totally go with _(given name)_ Diana Camilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom