Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, troops, it can't be long! Go, Cambridge Baby!

I think they should at least use Caroline somewhere in the name. There was a Queen Caroline once me thinks. It would be a nice tribute to her mum and a nice change for this modern monarchy. Dont you all agree? How about Caroline Elizabeth Victoria Francis?

I think they should at least use Caroline somewhere in the name. There was a Queen Caroline once me thinks. It would be a nice tribute to her mum and a nice change for this modern monarchy. Dont you all agree? How about Caroline Elizabeth Victoria Francis?

I wholeheartedly disagree. Not only because I personally dislike the name Caroline, it just doesn't have a regal ring to it bit like Queen Charlene but more polished.

Queen Caroline of Brunswick was married to George IV and gave birth to Princess Charlotte of Wales.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Not only because I personally dislike the name Caroline, it just doesn't have a regal ring to it bit like Queen Charlene but more polished.

Queen Caroline of Brunswick was married to George IV and gave birth to Princess Charlotte of Wales.

I wonder what names suggestions William Catherine family and friends have given them? Or if they have like any family when someone is expecting a baby and give their opinions on names and suggestions

I wonder what names suggestions William Catherine family and friends have given them? Or if they have like any family when someone is expecting a baby and give their opinions on names and suggestions

This reminds me of the friends episode when Monica tells Rachel the names she's picked for her children when she has them and Rachel steals them!

I definitely believe in name fitting the baby, not giving the baby a name and then seeing it and thinking that's not a .... :)

Sorry if this question has appeared before - but this is a very long thread- does the Queen have the right to be consulted about the name of the first born?

I know that some do not want the name Diana because the girl may never be her own person but I actually think it would be great if they include it in the middle. It's a really great way to honor Diana.

U agree Christy I would love Victoria Diana to remember Diana by and have it as a middle name and Victoria as the first name because a Victoria II would be incredible

In my opinion for whatever its worth (and that's not much! Especially in this economy LOL), I think the baby should be named with some modern PANACHE as they say. I like the idea of incorporating some old names but with modern flair.

Catherine and Willem are a very modern couple and the baby should reflect that!

I've always liked the named Marcel and Julyin (with a y) for boys, and Stanza or Pastel for a girl. Those would be excellent names for the baby.

On the other hand, Victoria could be modern, and it would be a gesture to their good friend Ms. Beckham, as well as harken to the olden days! What a posh baby it would be LOL.

As for what I more realistically think they should name it, for a girl, I think Diana Camilla would be nice and really mend fences.

For a boy, Phillip would be great! But so boring!

Can't wait for this baby.

If we are going a bit hypothetical, the name that I always joke to my family that they should use is Nebuchadnezzar! I really don't think that they would go for that though, and I'm sure that is a good thing. I don't think we want a King Nebbie!

Sorry if this question has appeared before - but this is a very long thread- does the Queen have the right to be consulted about the name of the first born?

Yes, the queen gets a say in the name.

I think they should go for either Charming (Prince Charming is very handsome, though I somehow doubt that the transition to King Charming will work just as great) or Rapunzel (demands that they keep her hair long though).

Crazy names like Pastel or Stanza, go right up there with North, as OK for celebrity or common Joe and Jane's children but a royal? Or an 'american' spelling of a traditional name, like Julyin.

Pastel like Princess Pastel Rose of Cambridge? Queen Pastel? So regal:ohmy:

Camilla is just as unlikely. Will would not use the name, in Diana's first grandchild. He'd be worried his mother would haunt him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the queen gets a say in the name.

Why would queen have a say? She can offer suggestions like any other family member or friend but if Will and Kate want to name their kid Prince Aston Villa Andy Murray of Cambridge the Queen can't stop them.

Why would queen have a say? She can offer suggestions like any other family member or friend but if Will and Kate want to name their kid Prince Aston Villa Andy Murray of Cambridge the Queen can't stop them.

As William said when HM says No, it means No. Sometimes it is good to be Queen.

Last edited:

Actually The Queen can stop them if she wants, She had a say In the naming of the Baby, It has to be a traditional Royal Name. I read once that there was a different name that Diana had in mind for William (I think it was John) but The Queen told Diana that she could not name her chin John because of it history. So yes The Queen has in the naming of the child and child godparents just like she has a say in her kids and Grandkids marry and they to get her consent first. They have to get The Queen Consent and approval on names

Last edited:

HM is the head of the family, the head of the country, and so on.

When Victoria was born her parents wanted to name her Georgina, Charlotte, or Augusta, all of which were mixed by the Prince Regent (and future George IV). Victoria in turn pushed to have her grandchildren all be named after either herself or her husband. Other common names among her grandchildren show Victoria's influence.

It's been said that several names were considered for William, including John which the Queen nixed. When HM herself was born, it was her grandfather, George V, who said it wasn't important that she be a Victoria.

I never heard anything about John as a name for William. The story I always hear that Charles wanted Arthur and William was Diana's choice.

William and Kate can always go to David Cameron and the PM can tell the Queen what to name the baby since the queen can't disobey her government :)

HM is the head of the family, the head of the country, and so on.

When Victoria was born her parents wanted to name her Georgina, Charlotte, or Augusta, all of which were mixed by the Prince Regent (and future George IV). Victoria in turn pushed to have her grandchildren all be named after either herself or her husband. Other common names among her grandchildren show Victoria's influence.

It's been said that several names were considered for William, including John which the Queen nixed. When HM herself was born, it was her grandfather, George V, who said it wasn't important that she be a Victoria.

I think that the BRF became pretty darned tired of Victoria and her constant demands and whims. I don't think there's been a Victoria or Albert since as a first name within the BRF.

Worse than her demands regarding names was her demands regarding continual mourning for Albert and her departed children... but that is off topic.

I never heard anything about John as a name for William. The story I always hear that Charles wanted Arthur and William was Diana's choice.

William and Kate can always go to David Cameron and the PM can tell the Queen what to name the baby since the queen can't disobey her government :)

It Still doesn't matter! The PM/Cameron will still side with Queen. The Queen get the final say and give consent and Will and Catherine knows it and The PM knows he can't do anything about it.

Last edited:
I think that the BRF became pretty darned tired of Victoria and her constant demands and whims. I don't think there's been a Victoria or Albert since as a first name within the BRF.

Worse than her demands regarding names was her demands regarding continual mourning for Albert and her departed children... but that is off topic.

Princess Eugenie middle name is Victoria.

George VI was named Albert.

As far as name approval - I realize they won't just do what they want without the queen's approval but technically can't William and Catherine put any name on the birth certificate like any other parents in the country?

George VI was born in 1895, when Victoria still reigned supreme over the BRF.

I agree that Cameron would never get involved in the naming (and would never fail to side with the Queen), nor would the BRF ever get him involved as a way of getting around the Queen. I tend to think Cameron has a whole lot more on his plate than whether this baby is named John, Diana, or North West.

IF Will and Kate wanted to get around the Queen's approval they would merely announce the name before presenting it to her. Don't flip out; that was a hypothetical. In the States, the mother fills out and signs the birth certificate in her hospital bed and can put whatever name she chooses on it - I'm betting in Britain it's the same. So legally, I'm almost positive they don't need the Queen's approval nor do they need the PM's.

I think the Queen will be fine no matter what name they choose. The baby will have 3 or 4 names and can choose any of those when they become Queen or King so the first name can be more modern. I think that would be fine too and it opens up the name pool. It's funny how excited I am by all this. LOL I come here and check first thing when I wake up because I know we will have it on here pretty fast. I'm glad Diana won with William and Harry can't really imagine them as anything else. LOL I won't be surprised if Victoria is one of the names simply because it's a name Prince Charles is said to always have wanted. Guess we have to wait and see....

Victoria wished her descendents to carry the name, not necessarily as a first. Her children and grandchildren almost all carried some form. And to this day, a form of their name can be found in every generation.

Victoria was Alexandra Victoria and Albert was Frances Albert Augustus Charles Edward.

-Victoria
-Alexandra (though recent generations more likely a link to Queen Alex)
-Victor
-Alexander
-Albert
-Augustus
-Alberta
-could add Charles and Edward technically

Queen Elizabeth's generation was the first real decline in the names, or a close variation. Elizabeth has Alexandra, but more for her own great-grantmother than Victoria. Her son Andrew, and her grandson Harry both have Albert. Her granddaughter Eugenie has Victoria. Eug and Bea are both named for Vic's daughters. James has Alexander, a form of Alexandra. Richard of Gloucester has Alexander as a middle name, and his heir is Alexander. There is Princess Alexandra of Kent. Lord Nicholas' younger son is Albert.

George VI was named Albert.

As far as name approval - I realize they won't just do what they want without the queen's approval but technically can't William and Catherine put any name on the birth certificate like any other parents in the country?

George VI was born during Victoria's lifetime.

Everyone of Edward VII's children had either a Victoria, Albert, or Alexander (or one of the opposite-gender equivalents) in their name. Of George VI's children, the first 5, born during Victoria's lifetime, have either "Albert" or "Victoria," the 5th, born the year after Victoria's death, has "Alexander," and the last one, born 4 years after Victoria's death, has none of the typical names. Of Edward VII's grandchildren, only one has one of those 3 names. They moved on really quickly.

Actually, HM Queen Victoria's name was Alexandrina Victoria, not Alexandra Victoria.

Didn't someone here say that it was rumored that Diana wanted Eleanor if she and Charles had a girl? I think that would be a really good name. Ella or Ellie for short when she's young. I also love Alice.

Though I think it's more likely to be Victoria, Alexandra, or Charlotte if it's a girl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom