Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen the name Eleanor pop up a few times in this thread.
I like it too, but I like the version that was used in Jane Austen's Sense & Sensibility better: Elinor.

Princess Elinor of Cambridge, yes, that sounds and looks good.

I like that particular name (and spelling) too. The spelling is simple, and makes the name less cluttered, while still allowing it to sound how it was intended. It would be lovely to see them use this name.

I've seen the name Eleanor pop up a few times in this thread.
I like it too, but I like the version that was used in Jane Austen's Sense & Sensibility better: Elinor.

Princess Elinor of Cambridge, yes, that sounds and looks good.

ooooooh, I like it! elegant, and VERY stately! and that will the other names be??? :)

Given the DoE's illness, I'm thinking Phillip is looking more and more likely for a boy. Perhaps Phillipa or Alice (his mother) for a girl.

I would like the Cambridge's daughter to be given FIVE names actually, each with significance:

Alice Elizabeth Philippa Caroline Diana

Alice - Prince Philip's mother (child's g-g-gma)
Elizabeth - after g-gma HM
Philippa - to honour g-gpa Prince Philip and Kate's sister Pippa
Caroline - Kate's mother Carole (child's gma)
Diana - William's mother (child's gma)

You can do the same type of thing if baby c is a boy

Phillip Peter Michael Charles

2 great grandfathers and 2 grandfathers

Prince Phillip and Peter Middleton had a connection. Mike 's dad was a pilot with Prince Phillip on one Phillips tours in the 60s. Plus they both were WW2 vets. Funny to think that their yet to be grandchildren would marry and produce a future king/queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S
Isn´t that what every CP couple should do? We´d have avoided some dissapoints!:whistling::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I certainly wish a certain CP had done that ;):whistling:

It wouldn't matter as the monarch may elect to use a different name--Queen Elizabeth elected her own name but had the option to use Alexandra, Mary, or any other name she would have liked. Her father elected to become George VI instead of using King Albert.

A curiosity: How many names will the children have? 4 seems to be the rule, but it really a rule or just tradition (or even just coincidence)? Could he/she have more (like 5) or less (6)?

I think 4 names is just a tradition as Queen Elizabeth only has 3 names. She gave all her children 4 name, and some of them have given their children 4 names, but there is not written rule on the number of names they should have.

I imagine that this child will have 4 names, but you never know!

the monarch may elect to use a different name--Queen Elizabeth elected her own name but had the option to use Alexandra, Mary, or any other name she would have liked. Her father elected to become George VI instead of using King Albert.

Anyone can choose to be called whatever they like. It is unusual for a British monarch not to use his/her own first name though. Only three have done so, including Victoria who dropped her first name when she was very young.

Anyone can choose to be called whatever they like. It is unusual for a British monarch not to use his/her own first name though. Only three have done so, including Victoria who dropped her first name when she was very young.

While Victoria's first name wasn't Victoria, she had been known previously and publicly as Princess Victoria. Similarly, Edward VII had been known publicly as Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, so he only dropped part of his first name.

Really, only George VI chose to go by something that wasn't his first name or what given name he had been known as by the public (not his family) at least in part. And even then, he went with one of his names, and one that was well known as a monarch's name.

I think the baby is probably a boy and I'd predict George as the likeliest first name, since it has a Greek as well as a Windsor connection and hasn't been used recently. My newest prediction: George Philip Charles Michael. Alternately, George William Charles Michael. Arthur would be my other choice, but it may be too old fashioned and Victorian.

For a girl, my best guess is still Alice, though I think Victoria or Elizabeth are also good possibilities. Elizabeth is a family name on both sides and Victoria is supposedly a favorite name. My guess: Alice Elizabeth Diana Carole or Victoria Elizabeth Diana Carole. The names of both grandmothers will definitely be included.

Princess of Cambridge=Catherine Elizabeth Alexandra Francis
Prince of Cambridge=Arthur Phillip Charles Francis

Diana and Michael Middleton's middle name is Francis.

I think a reminder of these days when this child is Monarch would be nice, so I honor it's great grandparents in both names and in a way that is not to explosive I honor Diana with Francis but with a nod to Michael as well.

To honor the Queen Mother I think it would be nice when baby Catherine is Queen to call her mother Queen Catherine, Queen Mother and I say in the same way she could be King Mother when Arthur is King.

I think the baby is probably a boy and I'd predict George as the likeliest first name, since it has a Greek as well as a Windsor connection and hasn't been used recently. My newest prediction: George Philip Charles Michael. Alternately, George William Charles Michael. Arthur would be my other choice, but it may be too old fashioned and Victorian.

For a girl, my best guess is still Alice, though I think Victoria or Elizabeth are also good possibilities. Elizabeth is a family name on both sides and Victoria is supposedly a favorite name. My guess: Alice Elizabeth Diana Carole or Victoria Elizabeth Diana Carole. The names of both grandmothers will definitely be included.

See now I think they WILL choose Arthur in the child's name as both Charles and William both have the name in their names. It would be continuing tradition.

Prince George Philip Arthur Francis

Princess Alexandra Mary Elizabeth Caroline

To honor the Queen Mother I think it would be nice when baby Catherine is Queen to call her mother Queen Catherine, Queen Mother and I say in the same way she could be King Mother when Arthur is King.

She would be Queen Mother anyway.

Queen mother means "Queen who is mother to the current Monarch", not "mother of the Queen"

See now I think they WILL choose Arthur in the child's name as both Charles and William both have the name in their names. It would be continuing tradition.
I also think Arthur will be in the mix: George VI was Albert Frederick Arthur George, so there's already three generations going.

A Queen Mother is a former Queen Consort who is the mother of the next monarch regardless of that monarchs gender. While she may become a King's mother she would still be Queen Mother. There is no such title as King Mother.

I too think that Arthur will be in the name, with George VI, Charles and William all having it somewhere in there, I'll be almost disappointed if Baby Cambridge is a boy and he wont receive the name. I think it's a lovely tradition.

I still have my hopes up for either Alexander or Arthur, or Matilda or Eleanor as a first name for Baby Cambridge. I'm certain that a boy will have Philip in the name and I think it would be lovely if a girl had Philippa as one of her names. Alternatively, they could also pay tribute to Philip's side of the family by putting Alice in there for his mother, but I still hope for Philippa to be used.

Last edited:
A Queen Mother is a former Queen Consort who is the mother of the next monarch regardless of that monarchs gender. While she may become a King's mother she would still be Queen Mother. There is no such title as King Mother.

I don't know why but 'Queen Mother' has a better ring to it then 'King Mother' for some reason. Alexandra after Edward VII death was called Queen Mother however Mary did not want to be known as Quern Mother when George V died because she thought it implied Advancing Years instead she was simply called Queen Mary. She still held the title but she never went by it.

However Alexandra is usually still called Queen Alexandra today.

Princess Diana said in a interview once that she wanted to be called King Mother when William became king.

Last edited:
Whatever Diana may or may not have said it was just as irrelevent then as it is now. There is no such title as King Mother. If the monarchs mother was Queen Consort she becomes Queen Mother during her childs reign, even if she does not use the designation.
Had she lived Diana may well have become the Kings mother, but she would never have been Queen Mother and certainly not King Mother.

With this baby being born in the midst of all of the jubilee celebrations along with Philip being in the hospital. The legacy and mortality of Williams grandparents are everywhere. I truly expect a girl to be named Elizabeth and a boy to be Philip. With all of the various and appropriate family names to follow.

Whatever Diana may or may not have said it was just as irrelevent then as it is now. There is no such title as King Mother. If the monarchs mother was Queen Consort she becomes Queen Mother during her childs reign, even if she does not use the designation.
Had she lived Diana may well have become the Kings mother, but she would never have been Queen Mother and certainly not King Mother.

There has been a King Mother before, in a manner.

During the reign of Henry VII his mother, Margaret Beaufort, was styled My Lady The King's Mother. Had she lived Diana may have been granted some title or style to denote her status as William's mother during his reign.

Regardless, though, if Catherine one day becomes Queen Consort and then her child one day reigns, she will be the Queen Mother.

If a girl I hope for: Princess Victoria Elizabeth Diana Caroline
If a boy I hope for: Prince Alexander Philip Charles Michael

Princess of Cambridge=Catherine Elizabeth Alexandra Francis
Prince of Cambridge=Arthur Phillip Charles Francis

I think a reminder of these days when this child is Monarch would be nice, so I honor it's great grandparents in both names and in a way that is not to explosive I honor Diana with Francis but with a nod to Michael as well.

I still say I like these names.

I too think Francis would very likely appear in a string of boys' names for the reason it honors both Diana and Michael Middleton, but not the first name.

I love Alexander as the first name for a boy.

I too think Francis would very likely appear in a string of boys' names for the reason it honors both Diana and Michael Middleton, but not the first name.

I like the name Alexander too, and Alexander and Francis go well together IMO. How about Alexander Francis Philip Michael? For a girl, I'm hoping for a Princess Victoria. I still think George is a likely choice for a boy, but you never know. I like Alexander's female variant, Alexandra. Alexandra Elizabeth Catherine Mary sounds nice. I think that Sophia Charlotte Beatrice Elizabeth is also a nice combination for a Princess of Cambridge. :)

Names that I would like to see in Baby Cambridge's "name combination" are:

Girl

Victoria (as a first name)
Sophia
Amelia
Helena
Catherine
Elizabeth (as a first name)
Alexandra
Mary
Alice
Rose
Georgiana
Charlotte
Caroline
Diana
Alberta (female version of Albert)
Adelaide

Boy

George (as a first name)
Philip
Arthur (as a first name)
Michael
Charles
Albert
Alexander

Last edited:

I like Francis/Frances for the same reasons you do.

Alexander would be a good nod to the Scottish. If they don't chose to separate, then he would one day rule as Alexander IV, the first British monarch to use the Scottish numbering since Mary II.

I like Francis/Frances for the same reasons you do.

Alexander would be a good nod to the Scottish. If they don't chose to separate, then he would one day rule as Alexander IV, the first British monarch to use the Scottish numbering since Mary II.

What I like about Francis/Frances is the nod to the American ancestors from the Spencer side. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom