Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True! Why on earth did the Queen allow Edward to take James?
His son has virtually no chance of inheriting the throne, so any name would do for him. He didn't need a monarchial name!

Why shouldn't Edward have been allowed to use James? Even if he had used another name, Catherine would still have had a brother who bears the name. Whilst I agree that James would have been a wonderful name for a future king, I'm strongly opposed the whole "not allowing" someone to use a name. Edward and Sophie liked James so they chose it for their son (who looks perfectly like a little James by the way).

Any thoughts on some of the noble families in the UK? William is related to many of the dukes and earls in England and Scotland. They would make nice godparents.

David is one of Harry's names, so I doubt they'd have anything against that name. Though I don't think it'll be the first name of a firstborn boy. I don't think they'll find room for it as a secondary name either, the firstborn boys/girls almost always have their entire name filled with family names.

Oh for Pete's sake, I completely forgot that!!! LOL Yes, of course it's one of Harry's names!! (My Dad's too!!). Since he will be King, I still don't think Baby Cambridge's name will have David in it.

To add to my list...
Louis is a contender as well. William was given the name Louis after Lord Louis Mountbatten (Edward too, I think), the beloved uncle and mentor of Prince Charles. I still remember Charles welling up during the footage of Lord Louis' funeral in his jubilee tribute to HM. It still devastates him, so I think Charles would be absolutely chuffed if Louis was one of B.C.'s names.

From what I gather, he went by Philip II of Spain and was never known as Philip I of England, so any baby Philip would probably be the first.

Besides... That was nearly 500 years ago so I think that Philip's unpopularity no longer matters :)

I just think it would be nice, since Williams's
grandfather has been such an important part of his life and such a hardworking consort. It would be a lovely legacy for him.

I agree - I think Philip is a very real possibiity. What better way to honor a man who was been 1 step behind the throne his entire life and has been such a close grandfather to William. Add to that, they almost lost Philip this year - i think it would be a lovely and sentimental acknowledgment and one that HM would heartily support.

i want a Mary III!!!

for a boy, King Richard!

as the godparents, Harry, Pippa, James (uncles&aunt), possibly W&C's parents (Camilla included).
for other royals, the Greek Royals are the most close european royals to the British royals.

Girl:
Charlotte Frances Elizabeth Mary
Alice Victoria Elizabeth Noelle
Caroline Elizabeth Georgiana Louise

Boy:
Edward Arthur Francis James
Philip Henry Francis Louis
Alexander James Francis Albert

Godfathers:
Prince Harry
James Middleton
Peter Phillips
Hugh van Cutsem

Godmothers:
Pippa Middleton
Zara Phillips
The Countess of Wessex
Laura Lopes

Last edited:
i want a Mary III!!!

for a boy, King Richard!

But Richard is the name of the Duke of Gloucester.

That is the problem, so many of the traditional royal names are already in use. Unless they just decide to repeat.

As for godparents, since Pippa was already bridesmaid, I believe they will choose James Middleton instead.
Another reason it would have been so nice to have a little Prince James!

There's nothing wrong with reusing names. There are, of course, two Edwards (Duke of Kent and Earl of Wessex). The Duke of Gloucester isn't primarily known as Prince Richard, nor is the Earl of Ulster known as Alexander, etc.

I can't see them naming him James, solely because of Viscount Severn but it may be a middle name for use as Monarch later perhaps.

I often wondered why the Queen let Edward and Sophie choose James, but they liked the name so of course it is their choice, but because he is never going to be King, you would think it would have been left for those closer to the throne. Perhaps she preferred James over Alexander...

There is nothing wrong with using two names, and James Viscount Severn is going to drop into obscurity, whereas this baby will become the most famous Royal baby. I just don't see William and Catherine choose James as it is too close to the current little James as he will only be 5 years older than him. (Due to this, I really hope they will be close but it's unlikely.) The Duke of Kent is much older than The Earl of Wessex.

Alice Victoria? Alice is a warm family name (see Princess Alice of Gloucester and Duke of Edinborough's mother) and Victoria is strong regnal name. Alice has not been used recently--I can't think even of European use of Alice for a crown princess. Also Alice would have a Scottish connection through Princess Alice of Gloucester, as she was primarily of Scottish descent with a strong Stewart heredity. We may be just surprised by some unexpected but old traditional name, like Estelle! Right now poor Kate is probably not thinking about names, but everyone else in the family is at work with the process. I think "Maud Angelica" was a lovely choice by the princess of Norway (Martha-Louise) because Maud was the actual founding queen of the modern Norwegian royal family, which was voted into rule by the people of Norway...it would be interesting if the BRF also looked back in history in a similar unusual way. History is full of names.

How about Georgiana for a girl. George is a well used name in the BRF this would be a new spin in it..

Harry as a godfather is a given surely ? But Pippa eww no. This child will be a King or Queen one day. I doubt the Queen would want any of the Spencer cousins involved either and isnt Earl Spencer on his fourth wife IIRC ? He might choose the wicked stepmother Camilla as well.

If it's a girl I think Wills would want Diana's name in there or maybe the name(s) she would have chosen for a girl if she'd had one.

IMO, Catherine has every right to pick a member of her family as one of the godparents, whether that is Pippa or James should be the couples decision.

IMO, Catherine has every right to pick a member of her family as one of the godparents, whether that is Pippa or James should be the couples decision.

I totally agree. In fact I think it very odd if Catherine were not to have a member of her family as one of the godparents, especially since her family see to have been warmly welcomed into Williams family.
I would only give a member of Diana's family an outside chance of being a godparent, but if chosen it likely wont be Charles Spencer but maybe aunt Jane.
I expect Harry, Pippa, maybe Sophie Wessex and then a couple of William and Catherines closest friends.

Catherine Elizabeth Diana francis
William Charles Philip Michael
Queen Catherine or King William

How about a double-barreled name - Prince Philip-Charles or Princess Charlotte-Elizabeth?

:previous:

I guess it's possible but British royals never really went for double-barrelled names. In fact, I don't think there has ever been a British royal (in the immediate family) with such a name. Charlotte-Elizabeth sounds really lovely though.

Girl-
Elizabeth
Diana
Catherine
Boy-
Robert

I would like one godparent to be a Roman Catholic.

For what reason? The family themselves are not RC. Do Catholic royal families usually include a Protestant amongst their childrens godparents?
I think the Van Cutsems are RC so it could happen because they are friends but not simply because of wanting to have an RC godparent.

I've enjoyed putting a bit of thought into this :)
A daughter: Margaret Elizabeth Victoria; other possibilities Mary, Frances, Anne, Alexandra, Rose.
A son: Andrew Charles James; with other possibilities George, William, Albert, Louis, John, David, Richard.
[Edward VIII had seven Christian names, so there's a precedent to use plenty!]

Margaret is a real though one, isn't it? :ermm:
and Richard for a boy... ermmm :D

For what reason? The family themselves are not RC. Do Catholic royal families usually include a Protestant amongst their childrens godparents?
I think the Van Cutsems are RC so it could happen because they are friends but not simply because of wanting to have an RC godparent.

They do sometimes! Like princess Eleonore's godmother is Victoria. Princess Mathilde is godmother of Isabella and Alexia (?) who are both protestant...

Girl-
Victoria Alexandra Mary Elizabeth

Boy-
George Phillip Albert Charles

The couple have RC friends but I'm sure this won't be a factor in the decision and why should it?
Outside a Van Cutsem, I'm sure all the godparents will be of the protestant reformed religion.

Last edited:
I would be a nice msign that an epoch of discrimination of Roman Catholics (as entering to the Royal Family through marriage) has ended definitely.
Other Royal Families choose for their children, apart from godparents from the same church, also godparents from different Christian churches, so why the British Royals shouldn't do that?:ohmy:

:previous:

I guess it's possible but British royals never really went for double-barrelled names. In fact, I don't think there has ever been a British royal (in the immediate family) with such a name. Charlotte-Elizabeth sounds really lovely though.

I like it too,I doubt it will be used but its fun thinking of possible names!

Discrimination of Catholics?? Lest we forget, the Church of England is established by law in England.
What provisions does Belgium, Liechtenstein. or Luxembourg make for Protestants.

Last edited:
Catherine Elizabeth Diana francis
William Charles Philip Michael
Queen Catherine or King William

I like the Catherine Elizabeth. I also like
Catherine Amelia Elizabeth Frances

It would be amazing if Queen Margarthe of Denmark was in the running for Godmother.

Last edited:
I would be a nice msign that an epoch of discrimination of Roman Catholics (as entering to the Royal Family through marriage) has ended definitely.
Other Royal Families choose for their children, apart from godparents from the same church, also godparents from different Christian churches, so why the British Royals shouldn't do that?:ohmy:

Like I said, I can see doing it if a close friend that one wants to be a godparent happens to be RC, but not simply because someone is RC, much the same as King Constantine was chosen as godfather for William because he is relation/friend not because he is Greek Orthodox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom