Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LADBROKES betting odds at present:

Alexandra (favorite)
5/1

Elizabeth
6/1

Diana
6/1

Victoria
7/1

Frances
8/1

George
10/1

Mary
10/1

Charles
12/1

Anne
12/1

Alice
12/1

It's been said many times many ways but - Diana NO. If you read right back to the begining of this thread you will find lots of fors & againsts.

For a little Prince I like the individual names you have selected but the combination sounds like an 80's pop singer with no class. :ROFLMAO:

'george michael' haha that is just what I thought too.:ROFLMAO:

If POW and DOC titles haven't been re-written to allow for female heirs, if Baby Cambridge is a girl she will not get a royal dukedom upon her fathers accesion. Doesn't work like that.

Which is why I said 'perhaps they would adjust'

Actually I don't think that's what's going to happen. The equal primogeniture is applied only in the line of succession to the Crown. It has no bearing whatsoever on peerage titles.

That's what they say now, but once equal primogeniture is enacted, I believe it will apply to everyone.

I can just see the lawsuits lining up!

The changes to the law of succession do not change or set a precedent for the changes to the peerage. It is already possible, through variations in the wording of LP to enable females to inherit a title. Good example is Countess Mountbatten

Arguments of the distribution of inheritance wealth (ie the Lambton sisters) are a completely different matter.

The charter of the duchy of Cornwall says the eldest living son and heir to the throne is the duke. So if baby c is a girl she not the duke of Cornwall. If Charles dies tomorrow, William isn't the duke of Cornwall because he isn't the son of the monarch. The Cambridge dukedom will merge into the crown upon William becoming king. The Cambridge Children won't get a peerage until they marry and if baby c is a girl her husband would get the peerage like they did with prince Phillip.

Times are changing. Every peerage has its own laws, on who can inherit the title. Some allow for female inheritance. These letter patents are written at the time of creation. With the throne allowing equal primogeniture, I see Charles creating his granddaughter a Duchess in her own right on marriage, and allowing for females to inherit the titles. They wont rock the boat like the Spaniards and change existing inheritance, unless perhaps the family requested it (like earl mountbattan did when he only had daughters), but with new titles IMHO, I see the change being made.

I think the only way to "psych out" boy or girl is psychic. As I said, I used to have this psychic ability but it departed when I had a hysterectomy. My only present observation is that Kate looks huge for seven months, at least in her garden party coat. This may mean a very large baby, but girls have been known to be large. So no way to really tell from that.

Times are changing. Every peerage has its own laws, on who can inherit the title. Some allow for female inheritance. These letter patents are written at the time of creation. With the throne allowing equal primogeniture, I see Charles creating his granddaughter a Duchess in her own right on marriage, and allowing for females to inherit the titles. They wont rock the boat like the Spaniards and change existing inheritance, unless perhaps the family requested it (like earl mountbattan did when he only had daughters), but with new titles IMHO, I see the change being made.

Charles may not be alive by the time baby c weds. There is no need to make baby c a duchess in her on right upon marriage. You make her husband a duke or a prince/duke like they did for Phillip and Daniel. She becomes the duchess of place then queen and husband stays as royal duke. Unless they alter the charter from 1337, the duchy of Cornwall doesn't allow for female "dukes" so that title isn't automatic when William becomes King.

That's what they say now, but once equal primogeniture is enacted, I believe it will apply to everyone.

I can just see the lawsuits lining up!
JWell it has aleardy been announced that the legislation will not apply to the hereditary peers.
Just which political party do you imagine will want to align itself with the hereditary aristocracy? Why would a political party want to do anything that might keep the hereditary peerages from eventually becoming extinct? The hereditary peers are no longer automatic members of the House of Lords so preserving them is of no special benefit to the nation.

Charles may not be alive by the time baby c weds. There is no need to make baby c a duchess in her on right upon marriage. You make her husband a duke or a prince/duke like they did for Phillip and Daniel. She becomes the duchess of place then queen and husband stays as royal duke. Unless they alter the charter from 1337, the duchy of Cornwall doesn't allow for female "dukes" so that title isn't automatic when William becomes King.
Daniel wasn't made a Duke in his own right. Victoria has been Duchess since birth, like her daughter is a Duchess from birth. Victoria's husband was given her title, when they wed. And Sweden and the UK are two very different countries, with two very different ways of doing things.

The same thing would happen if baby c was made Duchess of Oxford lets say. Her husband would be Duke, and when she became queen, he would remain Duke and prince consort. It is completely out dated that only men are granted titles and not women. And we're not only talking about the heir. The second child or both could be girls. The second child would never be queen, bar tragedy. Then there would be no title to merge with the throne. It seems fitting if we are bringing the throne into the 21st century, out dated policies of giving husbands the title, and only allowing sons to inherit, are cast aside. If baby c 2 is a girl, IMO she will be made the Duchess in her own right, and both her and baby c 1's titles, will be written with letters patent allowing for female inheritance.

I am not talking about Cornwall or Wales, but the individual titles granted on marriage. It stands to be seen if the letters patent on those will be re-written as well. I have a feeling the POW at least will be. If the heir can be female, it is an educated guess to believe the POW will be changed to allow for female inheritance. Elizabeth was never POW, but she was also never the heir apparent to the throne. Will's daughter if born first will be heir apparent, and therefore should be Princess of Wales IMO.

JWell it has aleardy been announced that the legislation will not apply to the hereditary peers.
Just which political party do you imagine will want to align itself with the hereditary aristocracy? Why would a political party want to do anything that might keep the hereditary peerages from eventually becoming extinct? The hereditary peers are no longer automatic members of the House of Lords so preserving them is of no special benefit to the nation.

Yes, it will not apply to existing titles. But very likely will apply to future titles. Peerages are not an act of parliament, their inheritance is governed by the monarch. If the queen wanted, she could write letters patent and change every peerage right now. I believe in the future, any royal duchies made, will be made allowing for equal inheritance. I think even Prince Harry's will be, allowing for if he has daughters, they will inherit, unlike Bea and Eug.

I think the only way to "psych out" boy or girl is psychic. As I said, I used to have this psychic ability but it departed when I had a hysterectomy. My only present observation is that Kate looks huge for seven months, at least in her garden party coat. This may mean a very large baby, but girls have been known to be large. So no way to really tell from that.

Is it that you are consistently wrong? If so what do you think Kate's having.

Yes, it will not apply to existing titles. But very likely will apply to future titles. Peerages are not an act of parliament, their inheritance is governed by the monarch. If the queen wanted, she could write letters patent and change every peerage right now. I believe in the future, any royal duchies made, will be made allowing for equal inheritance. I think even Prince Harry's will be, allowing for if he has daughters, they will inherit, unlike Bea and Eug.

Actually changes to existing peerages would require an act of Parliament to amend the hundreds of current letters patent. While in theory the Queen could issues new letters patent for all the current hereditary peers she would basically be creating new peerages resulting in their possibly being a Countess of X under one letters patent and an Earl of X under a different letters patent.
The bottom line is that it is not in anyones best political interest to do anything to preserve the hereditary peerage which is why outside of the BRF they are no longer created. I can evenn imagine new royal perages being only for life and that Harrys children will only be Lord or Lady X Windsor.

I think you're right here. As hereditary peerages are no longer created (outside of Royal peerages), and as the Queen at least has continued to use the typical "heirs male" when creating peerages for her own children and grandchildren, not altering the way that existing peerages are inherited seems like an attempt to slowly reduce the number of hereditary peers over time. You can see this in the dukedoms - there are only something like 31 current dukedoms, 7 of which belong to royals (and 2 belong to Charles).

The same thing would happen if baby c was made Duchess of Oxford lets say. Her husband would be Duke, and when she became queen, he would remain Duke and prince consort. It is completely out dated that only men are granted titles and not women. And we're not only talking about the heir. The second child or both could be girls. The second child would never be queen, bar tragedy. Then there would be no title to merge with the throne. It seems fitting if we are bringing the throne into the 21st century, out dated policies of giving husbands the title, and only allowing sons to inherit, are cast aside. If baby c 2 is a girl, IMO she will be made the Duchess in her own right, and both her and baby c 1's titles, will be written with letters patent allowing for female inheritance.

You're right it is an outdated concept that only men are created titles, it's also wrong. Women are bestowed life peerages under QEII. Life peerages.

There is absolutely no need to bestow any titles on a daughter of William's upon her marriage. Either she will marry someone who has titles - and will become the whatever as such - or she will marry someone who doesn't, and he'll be offered one, and she'll become the whatever of whatever as a result. Either way she'll also remain a princess.

Consider - the then Princess Elizabeth became Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh on her marriage. Princess Margaret became Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon. Had the titles been bestowed upon then instead of their husbands they would have had the same titles, but their husbands would have remained Mr. Philip Mountbatten and Mr. Anthony Armstrong-Jones.

William's titles didn't allow for female inheritance, and I doubt we should expect future titles to do so either. Simply put this ensures that titles do not go on forever. The hereditary peerage is slowly being shrunk because it's seen as outdated. Enabling women to inherit counters this.

I am not talking about Cornwall or Wales, but the individual titles granted on marriage. It stands to be seen if the letters patent on those will be re-written as well. I have a feeling the POW at least will be. If the heir can be female, it is an educated guess to believe the POW will be changed to allow for female inheritance. Elizabeth was never POW, but she was also never the heir apparent to the throne. Will's daughter if born first will be heir apparent, and therefore should be Princess of Wales IMO.

PoW doesn't have restrictions regarding gender. If William has a daughter she can be PoW - although it's my opinion that she would be Prince of Wales, not Princess, as the title Prince is for the heir apparent and Princess for the (female) consort.

The Queen does not have the power to change already existing peerages. She can only set the inheritance rules when she creates a peerage - sure she could recreate every peerage to allow for female inheritance, but that would counter a distancing from the peerage that we've see during her reign.

If HM is still Queen when Harry marries she'll not be allowing for female inheritance. She didn't do so with William, why would she do so with Harry?

I can evenn imagine new royal perages being only for life and that Harrys children will only be Lord or Lady X Windsor.

I think given as other royal titles have been hereditary then we can expect Harry's to be so as well. There's a distancing for creating hereditary peerages for the general public, but I don't think that's going to extend to the actual royal family.

Harry's children will, at least once his father's king, be Prince or Princess of X.

No, Gracie, I am not consistently wrong, because I draw a complete blank when if I try to discern what a baby's gender will be. After I lost the gift when I had the hysterectomy, I think I tried a couple of times to discern this, but I just drew a blank, not a wrong answer. Like blank paper. So I don't have any idea about Baby C's gender except that little tweak that just possibly an invitro scenario was done in order to push the odds toward a boy, which would give more time to change succession laws. My neighbors some years ago tried to have a boy after 3 girls and had some "spinning" thing done at a fertility center and it failed. 4th boy showed up even after nursery decorated in blue. Maybe there are more precise techniques now. This was a tragedy for the neighbors, as he was XYZ VI (yes Americans also have their dynasties among certain families), and they wanted XYZ VII. I didn't realize they were an "old American family" until later.

I think given as other royal titles have been hereditary then we can expect Harry's to be so as well. There's a distancing for creating hereditary peerages for the general public, but I don't think that's going to extend to the actual royal family.

Harry's children will, at least once his father's king, be Prince or Princess of X.

I predict that new Letters Patent will be issued around the time Harry is engaged, and the HRH will be limited to children of the sovereign or those in direct line, making Harry's kids lords and ladies, along the same lines as the Wessex kids. This will clarify the titles of the Wessex children, and there will be a grandfather clause for all existing HRH's (i.e., Beatrice, Eugenie - and Harry if the Queen is still living).

I predict that hereditary peerages will be changed to also reflect equal primogeniture. Not a matter of "if" but of "when".

And that concludes the day's predictions from the Giraffe. :p

I predict that hereditary peerages will be changed to also reflect equal primogeniture. Not a matter of "if" but of "when".

That would indicate that you think that the Duke of York title will be amended so that Princess Beatrice will become Duchess of York in her own right.

I predict that new Letters Patent will be issued around the time Harry is engaged, and the HRH will be limited to children of the sovereign or those in direct line, making Harry's kids lords and ladies, along the same lines as the Wessex kids. This will clarify the titles of the Wessex children, and there will be a grandfather clause for all existing HRH's (i.e., Beatrice, Eugenie - and Harry if the Queen is still living).

I do think Letters Patent will be released by Charles to limit the HRH to children of the eldest child, but I don't think his LP would affect the Wessex children unless it was made retrospective. Is it possible to make it retrospective? Louise and James ARE a Princess and Prince legally, their parents just CHOSE to not use the styles. Legally they are a HRH's, and can choose to use the style when they turn 18 (which I doubt they will.) Unless Charles makes his LP retrospective from 2003 (Louise's birth), they can choose to use the style when they are 18.

Depending on how many kids the Cambridges have, Harry kids may have to do some part time royal work. If you limit the hrh to only William's kids by the time William is on the throne, it just his kids, Harry, non working royals Yorkies and dead/old Anne, Andrew, Ed & Sophie.

I do think Letters Patent will be released by Charles to limit the HRH to children of the eldest child, but I don't think his LP would affect the Wessex children unless it was made retrospective. Is it possible to make it retrospective? Louise and James ARE a Princess and Prince legally, their parents just CHOSE to not use the styles. Legally they are a HRH's, and can choose to use the style when they turn 18 (which I doubt they will.) Unless Charles makes his LP retrospective from 2003 (Louise's birth), they can choose to use the style when they are 18.
Well when George V issued his 1917 Letters Patent it caused Alistair of Connaught to cease to be a prince and become instead Lord MacDuff. I think all that is required is for the monarch to express their wish how a member of their family is to be styled and titled since we are not talking about peerages.

I think you're right here. As hereditary peerages are no longer created (outside of Royal peerages), and as the Queen at least has continued to use the typical "heirs male" when creating peerages for her own children and grandchildren, not altering the way that existing peerages are inherited seems like an attempt to slowly reduce the number of hereditary peers over time. You can see this in the dukedoms - there are only something like 31 current dukedoms, 7 of which belong to royals (and 2 belong to Charles).

You're right it is an outdated concept that only men are created titles, it's also wrong. Women are bestowed life peerages under QEII. Life peerages.

There is absolutely no need to bestow any titles on a daughter of William's upon her marriage. Either she will marry someone who has titles - and will become the whatever as such - or she will marry someone who doesn't, and he'll be offered one, and she'll become the whatever of whatever as a result. Either way she'll also remain a princess.

Consider - the then Princess Elizabeth became Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh on her marriage. Princess Margaret became Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon. Had the titles been bestowed upon then instead of their husbands they would have had the same titles, but their husbands would have remained Mr. Philip Mountbatten and Mr. Anthony Armstrong-Jones.

William's titles didn't allow for female inheritance, and I doubt we should expect future titles to do so either. Simply put this ensures that titles do not go on forever. The hereditary peerage is slowly being shrunk because it's seen as outdated. Enabling women to inherit counters this.

PoW doesn't have restrictions regarding gender. If William has a daughter she can be PoW - although it's my opinion that she would be Prince of Wales, not Princess, as the title Prince is for the heir apparent and Princess for the (female) consort.

The Queen does not have the power to change already existing peerages. She can only set the inheritance rules when she creates a peerage - sure she could recreate every peerage to allow for female inheritance, but that would counter a distancing from the peerage that we've see during her reign.

If HM is still Queen when Harry marries she'll not be allowing for female inheritance. She didn't do so with William, why would she do so with Harry?

We don't actually know what the letters patent on Cambridge say. But since the title will merge with the throne, it is a different matter than Harry's. Harry's title will not merge, so if he is like Andrew and only has daughters, the title would end. How do you know for a fact, you state 'she won't' do you have a source we don't?

What distancing from the peerage? The queen has great respect for it, and has made no move to slim it down. The royal family yes, in the sense those who are paid for by the tax payers, but the peerage is another matter all together. All we have to do is look at Louis Mountbattan, whose title was made to allow females to inherit, to know there isn't an opposition to such change. And her full hearted acceptance of equal primogeniture, shows she seems open to even more.

It would be quite easy when any title goes extinct because of lack of male heir, be recreated for the female heir, and at that time the letter patents be changed. It would cost the royal family nothing, as the peerage receives no money, and since the change in house of lords, no extra rights either.

All we have to do is look at Louis Mountbattan, whose title was made to allow females to inherit, to know there isn't an opposition to such change. And her full hearted acceptance of equal primogeniture, shows she seems open to even more.

It would be quite easy when any title goes extinct because of lack of male heir, be recreated for the female heir, and at that time the letter patents be changed. It would cost the royal family nothing, as the peerage receives no money, and since the change in house of lords, no extra rights either.

Mountbatten is not the best example to use for your arguement. Female succession to that title was limited to Patricia and Pamela and the heirs male of their body. They are the only 2 women who could ever inherit that title.
What possible reason could the Queen use to issue new LPs to daughters of extinct peerages? Why would she want to do something that runs contrary to how the government and society is moving? What possible benefit would their be to the UK? You certainly would be very unlikely to have a political party lining up to support a move which would be quite controversial and receive a lot of criticism and make HM look very out of date and out of touch with society in the 21st century.

Last edited:
She cannot do anything to slim the peerage down personally, however the fact that Government has removed the creation of hereditary peerages means that fewer will continue over time.

I though that changes to letters patent meant government intervention and was not within her personal gift - is that right?

Mountbatten is not the best example to use for your arguement. Female succession to that title was limited to Patricia and Pamela and the heirs male of their body. They are the only 2 women who could ever inherit that title.
What possible reason could the Queen use to issue new LPs to daughters of extinct peerages? Why would she want to do something that runs contrary to how the government and society is moving? What possible benefit would their be to the UK? You certainly would be very unlikely to have a political party lining up to support a move which would be quite controversial and receive a lot of criticism and make HM look very out of date and out of touch with society in the 21st century.

How would it be showing her as being out dated? Peerages exist, and until they all die out, they will. By saying, okay there are dukes, but there can also be duchesses, it would prove that they are modernizing. By allowing women to inherit titles and not just the throne, how is that archaic?

And what purpose? Does it matter? Last I looked, aristocracy doesn't hold any government position. They don't tax the serfs any more. The only ones affected by a title, are the family themselves. Its not like when the title goes extinct, that the money and land reverts back to the common people. The daughters inherit the estate and money, just not the title.

How exactly is it controvercial to allow equal inheritance? Love to here how that is controvercial.

How would it be showing her as being out dated? Peerages exist, and until they all die out, they will. By saying, okay there are dukes, but there can also be duchesses, it would prove that they are modernizing. By allowing women to inherit titles and not just the throne, how is that archaic?

And what purpose? Does it matter? Last I looked, aristocracy doesn't hold any government position. They don't tax the serfs any more. The only ones affected by a title, are the family themselves. Its not like when the title goes extinct, that the money and land reverts back to the common people. The daughters inherit the estate and money, just not the title.

How exactly is it controvercial to allow equal inheritance? Love to here how that is controvercial.

Controversial and out of touch because it would be perpetuating a hereditary aristocracy in a country that no longer creates hereditary peers and slowly moves to meritocracy. If these women are so desperate to become peers let them do something to be rewarded with a life peerage. As you said the daughters already inherit the land and the wealth so there is no need for them to also inherit a title which is meaningless and will benefit no one, not even themselves but certainly not society.

At any rate HM would still need government advice to create these hereditary peers and I cannot see any government or political party giving such advice. You are more likely to see a future government pass legislation to abolish hereditary peers. The time of the hereditary peers has passed.

I can imagine future royal peerages also being lifetime peerages as well.

Interestingly, the Duke of Devonshire's heir, Lord Burlington, has two children. The eldest is a girl, Lady Maud Cavendish.

We don't actually know what the letters patent on Cambridge say. But since the title will merge with the throne, it is a different matter than Harry's. Harry's title will not merge, so if he is like Andrew and only has daughters, the title would end. How do you know for a fact, you state 'she won't' do you have a source we don't?

I have no such magic source - I read elsewhere here that William's titles were created with the typical heirs male.

What distancing from the peerage? The queen has great respect for it, and has made no move to slim it down. The royal family yes, in the sense those who are paid for by the tax payers, but the peerage is another matter all together. All we have to do is look at Louis Mountbattan, whose title was made to allow females to inherit, to know there isn't an opposition to such change. And her full hearted acceptance of equal primogeniture, shows she seems open to even more.

The distancing from the peerage may not be HM's choice, but there is a sliming down by natural means in occurrence here. Since 1965 all peerages created have either been royal or life. With the "heirs male" requirement attached to the existing hereditary peerages then it means that with time there is going to be a natural slimming of the peerage as the hereditary peers become extinct due to a lacking of male heirs. In the future, if the only hereditary peerages created continue to be royal dukedoms, this means that eventually the only hereditary peers will be ones descended from royals.

As for Louis Mountbatten, he is the exception to a rule, not a rule in itself. Other peerages have gone extinct during HM's rule, or threatened to do so, and she has not acted to save them in favour of female inheritance.

I really don't see this happening. HM no longer creates non-royal hereditary peers. It's that simple.

I though that changes to letters patent meant government intervention and was not within her personal gift - is that right?

That's right. HM cannot alter LPs, parliament has to do so. She could, theoretically, issue new LPs creating new titles to allow for the prevention of the extinction of endangered titles, as was done with Louis Mountbatten. However, as no non-royal hereditary peerage has been created since 1965 and HM hasn't taken measures to ensure the preservation of Andrew's titles, I doubt this is going to happen.

1. Creating non-royal hereditary peerages is seen as outdated. Therefore preserving hereditary peerages can also be seen as outdated.
2. There are duchesses (and female equivalents of other titles). There are women who have been created peers. There are also some peerages which allow for female inheritance, just not the vast majority.
3. Altering peerages in order to allow for female inheritance, however, is altering a system that is seen as archaic - not for its inherent sexism but for its inherent classism. That the Queen no longer creates non-royal hereditary peers means that any steps she takes to allow for female inheritance (not that she really can take any without creating hereditary peerages, which she doesn't do anymore) is seen as preserving an archaic system.

Daughters inherit money and estates with or without titles. Therefore the only thing being preserved here is the title - which in itself is seen as a part of an archaic system.

I can imagine future royal peerages also being lifetime peerages as well.

I can see this happening in the future, but I hope it happens in the distant future.

Interestingly, the Duke of Devonshire's heir, Lord Burlington, has two children. The eldest is a girl, Lady Maud Cavendish.

This happens in a lot of families. The Duke of Devonshire's heir apparent is his eldest son, the Earl of Burlington, whose heir apparent is his eldest son, Lord Cavendish.

I still believe that, as equal primogeniture affects royal succession, the end will be a rash of lawsuits if the peerage continues to use male primogeniture.

It is already happening in some instances:

Lambton inheritance: 'Selfish Ned is damaging our family’ - Telegraph

And, it may be true that titles are outmoded, but people still want them; witness the existence of websites purporting to sell (clearly fraudulent) titles to interested buyers. (The Duke of Bedford has been fighting this for years, and, every time he denounces them, he still gets enquiries as to where interested parties might then obtain a genuine title!)

I still believe that, as equal primogeniture affects royal succession, the end will be a rash of lawsuits if the peerage continues to use male primogeniture.

It is already happening in some instances:

Lambton inheritance: 'Selfish Ned is damaging our family’ - Telegraph

And, it may be true that titles are outmoded, but people still want them; witness the existence of websites purporting to sell (clearly fraudulent) titles to interested buyers. (The Duke of Bedford has been fighting this for years, and, every time he denounces them, he still gets enquiries as to where interested parties might then obtain a genuine title!)

The Lambton women don't want the title - they are after the money. That's nothing to do with primogeniture, its greed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom