Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
David has personal family misery history. Why would William name his son after a man who gave up the job instead of a man who overcame his stammer to lead the nation thru a war to die an early death aka george

David was also, as I believe it's been mentioned before in this thread, the name of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mum's very beloved younger brother. I also believe that I've read in several books that HM was very fond of her paternal uncle David, and furthermore Saint David is the patron saint of Wales, so I'd say that there are several perfectly decent reasons why William would name his son David :)

David is just a fabulous name, period. Underused in both the BRF and the general population

David was also, as I believe it's been mentioned before in this thread, the name of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mum's very beloved younger brother. I also believe that I've read in several books that HM was very fond of her paternal uncle David, and furthermore Saint David is the patron saint of Wales, so I'd say that there are several perfectly decent reasons why William would name his son David :)

Queen Mum was close to David it seems, her brother died at Birkhall, her home on Balmoral. I believe she found him after he died from a heart attack.

I just found out the other say that Queen Elizabeth had a cousin on her mother's side named Diana Cinderella Mildred. But I don't think they'll be going for any of those as first name choices. Sorry if this doesn't have enough to do with the thread I just thought the name was amusing.

I've been thinking more about some possible name combinations for Baby Cambridge, and for a boy, I thought this sounded good:

Albert Charles Philip George

I have more posts per page set up than most people, so for me this thread is 18 pages long, and I haven't read through all 18 pages to see if anyone else has suggested Albert as a first name for a boy, but there you go.

So I've read this whole thread and I love a lot of these names. But... The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge seem to be very traditional people. I think they will give their child a traditional reigning name and a name that isn't currently being used by the immediate royal family as a members Christian name, so Elizabeth, Anne, James, Edward, Charles, William and Henry most likely won't be first names. My speculation on first names are:
Girls: Mary (III), Victoria (II)
Boys: George (VII), Richard (IV), Stephen (II)

However I can see the names going something like this.
Princess Victoria Alexandra Carole Frances of Cambridge
Prince George Arthur Michael Charles of Cambridge

I would love for them to go this route:
Princess Mary Alexandra Margaret Helena.
Prince Stephen Leopold Arthur Henry (I've been dying for a Leopold since the Countess of Wessex was Pregnant with the Viscount Severn)

Godparents: Phillipa Middleton, Prince Harry of Wales, The Princess Royal, Crown Prince Palvos of Greece, The Baroness Fellowes (We need a Spencer lol)

I would really love for them to think outside the box , go older and outside the british royals with the royal names like Matilda, Jane, Lionel, Malcolm, Duncan, Owen would be great. I absolutely loved Princess Estelle's name.

Ladyfizzle, I am glad someone besides me loves Estelle's name. Princess Estelle seems to have been named after a relative by marriage whom Victoria liked, maybe Daniel liked the stories, too, about Estelle Bernadotte. A similar reason is why I nominated Prince David, in honor of way-back personages who were very interesting and mostly admirable. I think you are right that Mary and Victoria are up in front of the pack, being traditional but not used recently, not really recently. Of the two I think Mary is the more likely.

I am not a fan of Estelle's name but it will likely suit the little Princess as she grows up (and she is ADORABLE). I expected an Ingrid or something for Princess Estelle, but it was nice that they chose a name they liked and not something that was predictable.

For baby Cambridge, we can only speculate on the name but we can sort of guess it will be traditional. Louise was unexpected for Lady Louise, but James was sort of predictable for Viscount Severn, though I think had they not been "Royal" they would have perhaps used Alexander or Theo instead. Zara Phillips was VERY unexpected, but it suits Zara and she is a private citizen. I would like the Godparents names to be included, but I can't see that happening unless it's perhaps Sophie or Pippa.

I wonder if the baby will have 4 names like most Royals, or 3 like Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie.

It would be such a lovely tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh if they include Philippa in a daughter's name. I'm actually quite certain that they would have given a daughter Philippa as a first name had Pippa not already been named that.

I hate names that have a non-traditional spelling, because you almost always get them wrong!

Like Bryn for Brian or Jinnafyr for Jennifer; it's confusing.

Bryn is not an alternative spelling of Brian. It is a Welsh name and has no connection with Brian.

Ladies, could you explain me as for "non-english-native-language" person the difference of spelling Catherine and Katherine.

Katherine is from the Greek spelling, and Catherine the Latinised form.

I think if it is a girl the baby will have Diana as a middle name. I also think Elizabeth. I think the Middletons will be represented by the name Charlotte which is Pippa's middle name and also has the same meaning as Carole. This may be really snobby but I don't think the baby will have Carole as a name because it is too downmarket. What about Alexandra Diana Charlotte Elizabeth for a girl. For a boy I think it could have Philip as one of its names and what about Michael - say, for a boy, George Michael Philip Arthur.
Godparents? Pippa and Harry certainly. Also one of the van Cutsems (sp?) What about the guy in charge of William and Kate's household who is just leaving? Maybe James Middleton for a second child? Think the Greek Prince somebody else suggested was good. What about Zara or Peter Philips?

I think if it is a girl the baby will have Diana as a middle name. I also think Elizabeth. I think the Middletons will be represented by the name Charlotte which is Pippa's middle name and also has the same meaning as Carole. This may be really snobby but I don't think the baby will have Carole as a name because it is too downmarket. What about Alexandra Diana Charlotte Elizabeth for a girl. For a boy I think it could have Philip as one of its names and what about Michael - say, for a boy, George Michael Philip Arthur.
Godparents? Pippa and Harry certainly. Also one of the van Cutsems (sp?) What about the guy in charge of William and Kate's household who is just leaving? Maybe James Middleton for a second child? Think the Greek Prince somebody else suggested was good. What about Zara or Peter Philips?

It's been said many times many ways but - Diana NO. If you read right back to the begining of this thread you will find lots of fors & againsts.

For a little Prince I like the individual names you have selected but the combination sounds like an 80's pop singer with no class. :ROFLMAO:

I still think most likely the First Name will be Elizabeth. One of the reasons is it Honors William Grandmother and Great Grandmother as well as it being Catherine middle name (and her mother middle name also) Catherine great Grandmother is also named Elizabeth. I think Victoria will be in there as a first (which is my second Prediction for first name) or as a middle name. I could also see Caroline or Catherine in there along with either Diana , Mary or Alexandra.

Elizabeth Victoria Catherine Mary sound Good.

I could see Sophie and Edward as Godparents same with either Zara or Philip. Sometime it good to pick people's who already has or is easing kids.

Last edited:
It's been said many times many ways but - Diana NO. If you read right back to the begining of this thread you will find lots of fors & againsts.

For a little Prince I like the individual names you have selected but the combination sounds like an 80's pop singer with no class. :ROFLMAO:

I think you are going to be doomed to disappointment. Just as certain people were having a fit that W gave K The Ring, the sky will not fall when the new princess is named after her late grandmother. W has made a point of wanting to include his mother spiritually at the wedding. I would bet the ranch that Diana or Frances is in the name if its a girl.

^^^^^
I hope it is a boy for that very reason.

^^^^^
I hope it is a boy for that very reason.

In a way I feel the same way also! If it a Girl I don't think it will be named Diana (again I am going with Elizabeth as I mentioned above, Lot of history with that name) Maybe if they have another girl (if the first one is a Girl) Or Kate and William may not have Diana in the names of any of their kids and let Harry name one of his kids Diana if he has a Girl. Kate and Will have honored his mother already with arming and wedding like you mention. You have to let Harry do something to honor his mother like Will and Kate have (Harry gave his mother wedding ring to give to Kate which Diana gave to Harry for his future bride) It only fair in my opinion that in return William let Harry have the name Diana for one of his future kids. I could see William doing that. It would be a nice gesture in return. Harry let his older brother give Diana wedding ring to Kate so as a older brother let Harry have the name Diana. Of course there some people's who will want Harry and William to name every child Diana! So don't be disappointed and make a big deal out of it when Diana is not one of the names of their kids. I am sure one of her Descendants will have The name Diana as a first or middle name somewhere along the way.

I honestly do not think they would give the child the Christian name of Diana. It would likely feature as a middle name.

I think it's a little boy as well, only because all the media coverage of her shopping. It could just be to put the press off though. If it's a boy I am hoping for a Prince Arthur. :)

If it's a girl I think either Diana or Frances will be one of the middle names.

LaRae

A Girl HRH Victoria Elizabeth Diana Charlotte, Princess of X Duchess of Y

She won't be. Baby Cambridge is Hrh prince/princess of Cambridge. The of place will change as his/her parents title change.

Why would she be a Duchess?

When William succeeds, as heiress, I would assume a royal 'dukedom' would be in order. Perhaps they will adjust the Duchy of Cornwall to be for the heir/ess, not just the monarch's eldest son.

When William succeeds, as heiress, I would assume a royal 'dukedom' would be in order. Perhaps they will adjust the Duchy of Cornwall to be for the heir/ess, not just the monarch's eldest son.

If POW and DOC titles haven't been re-written to allow for female heirs, if Baby Cambridge is a girl she will not get a royal dukedom upon her fathers accesion. Doesn't work like that.

I agree that once the equal primogeniture passes, all of the other titles, etc, down the line will be given equally to boys and girls.

But my tarot cards have indicated boy for quite some time now. :cool:

Before I had a hysterectomy, I could guess right the gender of children in the womb.
Then the ability totally departed--no womb to womb any more? This applied to famous people as well as people I personally had contact with. I saw that my friend D's wife was pregnant with a girl, after they had tried unsuccessfully to have a child for 13 years. And I was right. The girl grew up and is a antagonistic to her widowed father. I do not advise having children because they may bring things you had not anticipated. Anyway I have NO guess what the Cambridge baby's gender will be, with a slight tilt toward male in case they did use in vitro for the purpose of having a male and avoiding legal change difficulties at this time. But I have no guess that they did use in vitro. Just would say that the situation leans slightly toward a male in case this happened.

Last edited:
I agree that once the equal primogeniture passes, all of the other titles, etc, down the line will be given equally to boys and girls.

But my tarot cards have indicated boy for quite some time now. :cool:

Actually I don't think that's what's going to happen. The equal primogeniture is applied only in the line of succession to the Crown. It has no bearing whatsoever on peerage titles.

The charter of the duchy of Cornwall says the eldest living son and heir to the throne is the duke. So if baby c is a girl she not the duke of Cornwall. If Charles dies tomorrow, William isn't the duke of Cornwall because he isn't the son of the monarch. The Cambridge dukedom will merge into the crown upon William becoming king. The Cambridge Children won't get a peerage until they marry and if baby c is a girl her husband would get the peerage like they did with prince Phillip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom