Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right; Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark was Prince Philip's sister. She was married to Hereditary Grand Duke Georg Donatus of Hesse.

She died in plane crash in 1937 along with her husband and three children. Her fourth child, Princess Johanna, was adopted by Prince Ludwig (Georg Donatus' brother) and his wife, Princess Margaret. Tragically, she died two years later fro meningitis.

The name of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon's mother was indeed Cecilia Nina Cavendish-Bentinck.

Wow, so it does have links to William's family history. Maybe W&K will take the suggestion. (a girl can dream)

When it comes to boys, I can only think of either George or Arthur (yes, I'm aware of the relatives with the same names), but those are the only two boys names I'm fond of.

Cecilia Alexandra Elizabeth has a lovely ring to it. It would definitely be something different, but still have a link to the family. 'Alexandra' would be a nice choice for a first name as well. I don't think there has ever been a Queen Alexandra besides the Queen Consort of Edward VII.

I like Cecilia, too. It's only problem is trying to pronounce it with "Princess". You know, getting tongue tied with the "s"s. It is an old Roman name, and St. Cecelia is the patroness of Music. That is why some musical organizations take the name of Cecelia. You could make it pronouncable by saying something like Anne-Cecelia. I guess it's the Swedes, or someone, who say "Prinzen" rather than "Princess", so Prinzen Cecelia would be easier to pronounce. However, no Prinzens in England.

The only way you can make the sibilants work is to pause slightly between Princess and Cecelia. That would bring us back to a slower more gracious time? One would eventually drop the final sibilant in Princess and it would run together and sound well, Prince-Cecelia. So it could work well.

For some reason I am not as fond of Alexandra. And there are quite a few Alexandras around, in Luxembourg, in Norway--you remember Ingrid-Alexandra. And there is, on the male side, Willem-Alexander. I think the list goes on but I can't remember them all. There is of course Princess Alexandra of Kent, but she is of a much older generation. And Alexander, the son of the Gloucesters. And Xan, the son of Alexander of the Gloucesters (forget his title, Earl of Ulster?)

Last edited:
I like Alice Cecilia.

Alice Cecilia Elizabeth Mary.

I suppose Princess Alice Cecilia sounds really tongue twisty, but I like it.

Cecilia Adelaide Elizabeth Mary

I like the tie of Cecilia to the Queen Mother. She was, of course, Scottish and William and Catherine could honor their Scottish meeting place.

I like the tie of Cecilia to the Queen Mother. She was, of course, Scottish and William and Catherine could honor their Scottish meeting place.

I'm really starting to like Cecilia a lot. Princess Cecilia of Cambridge does have such a nice ring to it. Its got meaning behind it yet its still a name that for the most part would be unique to a baby daughter. :flowers:

Ooh, I like that. Adelaide is another one of the names I really like that's a less obvious choice but would be really nice and does have enough history and tradition behind it to be acceptable as part of the name of a future monarch.

I like Amelia too. I just enjoy discussing possibilities that aren't dominated by Elizabeth, Victoria, and Mary.

How about Victoria Elizabeth Frances Rose ? Or Victoria Elizabeth Frances Charlotte ?

George Philip Charles Michael or Michael Charles Philip George ?

How about Victoria Elizabeth Frances Rose ? Or Victoria Elizabeth Frances Charlotte ?

George Philip Charles Michael or Michael Charles Philip George ?

did you read my mind? George Philip Charles Michael is exactly the one I suggested on Tumblr!
Anyways, I think it's nice to honor the child's family, but as a first name I would prefer something other than his great/grandparents names.

Last edited:
I like Cecilia too. Edward IV had a daughter named Cecily which is another form of the name so there is some precedent for it's use. Edward IV's mother had also been named Cecily.

Last edited:
Leo makes me think of the Blair's youngest child. There is a royal link there with Cherie Blair very generously telling us all that Leo was conceived at Balmoral during the traditional Prime Minister's summer visit to the Castle. Apparently, Cherie was so embarrassed at the thought of the Balmoral staff coming across her contraception (staff in the royal residences always unpack for visiting guests), that she decided not to take it with her. Nine months later, Leo Blair was born.

Quite why Cherie Blair thought the world needed to know that is not clear.
Too embarassed to take her contraception BUT not embarassed to let everyone know she had physical relations with her husband under HM roof!! Eeew and Egad!

I think Philippa would have been a great guess, had it not been the name of Catherine's sister. Queen Philippa has a nice, regal ring to it and it would be a lovely tribute to the DoE.

It really would not surprise me that, if the child is a boy, his name being Prince Richard. The Prince of Wales is an ardent historian and the current news around Richard III might promote the name.

Richard is just one of those names that's pretty out of fashion these days. Most of the royal boys' names are very much 'in' (Harry, William, George etc.), but Richard is one of the few which is not.

Cecilia is ok, although I suppose the child would probably be nicknamed CeCe. If she is Cecilia, she'd already have her own theme song:

Simon & Garfunkel - Cecilia - YouTube

did you read my mind? George Philip Charles Michael is exactly the one I suggested on Tumblr!
Anyways, I think it's nice to honor the child's family, but as a first name I would prefer something other than his great/grandparents names.

Two thumbs up!

Cecilia Underwood, 1st Duchess of Inverness (c. 1785-1873), was the second wife of Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex, sixth son of King George III and the favorite uncle of Queen Victoria.

Even though it has been the name of the Duke of Edinburgh's sister, "Cecilia" has no tradition within the British Royal Family.

In my opinion, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will name their daughter with the name of a previous Queen reignant (but I'm ruling out Mathilda, Mary and Jane) or the name of a very succesful Queen consort, like Alexandra and Charlotte.

Gracie, Alice Cecilia would work out in pronunciation, as the "ce" of Alice and the "Ce" of Cecelia elided. Ali-Cecelia in pronunciation, although not in writing. Alice-Cecelia in writing.

In my opinion, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will name their daughter with the name of a previous Queen reignant (but I'm ruling out Mathilda, Mary and Jane) or the name of a very succesful Queen consort, like Alexandra and Charlotte.

I can understand ruling out Jane and even Matilda, but why Mary? It's the name of two English reignants, and one Scottish, and is the name of the Queen's grandmother (plus one of the Queen's names).

I can understand ruling out Jane and even Matilda, but why Mary? It's the name of two English reignants, and one Scottish, and is the name of the Queen's grandmother (plus one of the Queen's names).

Just personal taste, I don't like the name Mary for a little girl. And will remind me of Bloody Mary.

In fact, if they chose to name her after a Queen regnant, Elizabeth, in my opinion, has great chances, followed by Victoria.

Queen Elizabeth III is good prospect for the future.

Cecilia Underwood, 1st Duchess of Inverness (c. 1785-1873), was the second wife of Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex, sixth son of King George III and the favorite uncle of Queen Victoria.

Even though it has been the name of the Duke of Edinburgh's sister, "Cecilia" has no tradition within the British Royal Family.

I dont see Cecilia as a first name, but it can be found throughout the family. Could be used as a honor of both grandparents, Philip through his sister and the queen through her grandmother. William the conqueror's eldest daughter had the name, and Cecily is a form (mother and daughter of Edward IV).

I'd love to see, not as a first name, but a middle, one of the older more traditional names.

Constance perhaps. Kate's paternal great grandmother's name, and royal.

Constance of Normandy: daughter of william the conqueror
Constance of Castile: first wife of John of Gaunt
Constance of York: daughter of Edward III's son Edmund, ancestress of Queen Anne Neville

Could be honor of Kate being he 'constant' girlfriend for ten years.

I also like the name Amelia, also a name found both for Kate and royal tree.

Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Constance Diana

According to this American magazine, the baby's name will be Elizabeth Diana Carole.

Kate Middleton Picks Baby Name — Prince William & Duchess Honor Queen - Hollywood Life

In my opinion, it's a good bet, but I prefer Elizabeth Victoria Diana Carole.

Rule #1 - Never believe ANYTHING you read in the press, especially a gossip column or tabloid magazine. You'd be wise to completely disregard whatever you read in that article, because there's about as much truth to it as the news that I'm really an alien from the planet Romulan V.

They're just gonna go on and on like this until the baby's born, aren't they? :bang:
I've seen that rumour before and it's not like they've been extremely creative here. Chances that those three names are gonna be in a daughters name are pretty high. Personally, I still think they're gonna use four names no matter if it's a girl or a boy; and that they're gonna use Frances instead of Diana.

I almost hope that the baby is a boy now - just because every magazine now automatically assumes that it's a girl (presumably because of "I'll take that for my d-"-gate).

Rule #1 - Never believe ANYTHING you read in the press, especially a gossip column or tabloid magazine. You'd be wise to completely disregard whatever you read in that article, because there's about as much truth to it as the news that I'm really an alien from the planet Romulan V.

I don't believe in the article.

But Elizabeth, Diana and Carole are really good bets for this baby's name, and I wouldn't be surprised if the magazine is right.

Personaly, I believe we'll see a Princess Elizabeth Victoria Diana Carole of Cambridge.

Son
Robert is a strong favorite of Kate's not regal enough for William
Alexander
Fredrick
Charles
James

Daughter
Alexandra
Charlotte
Sophia
Diana
Elizabeth

The child will have several middle names, Kate's and Wills parents names most likely in the mix.
We will just have to wait

Richard is just one of those names that's pretty out of fashion these days. Most of the royal boys' names are very much 'in' (Harry, William, George etc.), but Richard is one of the few which is not.
So now its the time for the name to be in Fashion again...only if William and Catherine choose it though:D

There are three names which HAVE to go into the princess's name, that is, Elizabeth, Diana (or Frances or Rose) and Carole (or Caroline) ....
.... They could honor Diana by calling the child Rose, after "English Rose", the song made famous at Diana's funeral.

Speaking for myself, I would not perceive any connection to Diana in the name Rose, but this isn't the first time I've seen people here associating the name "Rose" with Diana. Is it just because of that awful recycled song? I thought that was in very poor taste. Disrespectful to Diana because it was not original, and disrespectful to the person for whom the song was first written. The original version of the song was already very well-known.

I also don't agree that any of those names "HAVE" to be part of the child's name.

This future sovereign will not be "HM ___ ___ the First".

Not until there's "HM ___ the Second", no. :)

Pre-conquest names: Athelstan, Edmund, Easred, Eadwig, Edward, Athelred, Sweyn, Cnut, Harald, Harthacnut, Edgar. Of these, I would think only Edmund or Harald would be possible.

They definitely won't choose Cnut. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom