Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think, however, that they will let the pregnancy go as far as Camilla's birthday as I suspect that they are planning to induce on the 1st July to have the child on Diana's birthday, especially if it is a girl and then they will name her Diana.

The media release has said that she is due in MID JULY. No Doctor will induce a child ahead of the estimated due date unless mother or child is at risk.
If the child is induced then it will be born in late July or early August.

As for naming a little princess Diana; you really must already be predisposed to ill wish the little one like some sort of Sleeping Beauty witch!! :lol:

Part of me thinks, William and Kate realize this little girl (should they have a little girl) will likely get compared to her grandmother endlessly, much like the media tried to draw similarities b/w Kate and Diana. They may choose to honor Diana in some other way, maybe by using her name for a second daughter, or choosing a name that Diana liked. Could you imagine the Duchess delivers early (assuming mid-July is the due date) and has the baby on Diana's bd???

Part of me thinks, William and Kate realize this little girl (should they have a little girl) will likely get compared to her grandmother endlessly, much like the media tried to draw similarities b/w Kate and Diana. They may choose to honor Diana in some other way, maybe by using her name for a second daughter, or choosing a name that Diana liked. Could you imagine the Duchess delivers early (assuming mid-July is the due date) and has the baby on Diana's bd???

It is within the realm of possibility, certainly. It's also quite possible she will be the image of her grandmother. Then it won't matter what the child is named, they could name her Camilla and she will be Diana II.

I think that the press will carry on about the Second Coming of Diana for a time if there is any remote connection to Diana, but then it will fade. Those of us who lived the Diana days are getting old, I hate to admit. People younger than a certain age don't relate to her and my children have no idea who she is. She's becoming a tougher team trivia question rather than a slam dunk one.

Will and Harry were once in everyone's minds the Golden Sons of Diana. I think as they have grown older, lived their own lives, and developed their own personalities, this is less and less the case. I think the same thing will happen for this child and his/her connections to Diana will fade as its life is lived and personality is developed.

I really hope they stay away from Albert- not because it's too Germanic but because it's too dorky! (And Bertie sounds like a Wodehouse character, complete with monacle and lisp!)

It would be lovely if they named the child after Prince Charles, but perhaps it would be rather confusing to have two Prince Charles' for a few years?
But it wouldn't be insurmountable, and I like Charles much much better than George!

I'm convinced a girl would definitely become Elizabeth ( I don't think anyone would find objections to that).

I myself would LOVE to see some combination of.....

1) John
2) Paul
3) George
and
4) Richard

:whistling:

Hey, it's a very plausible combination.....

I can't shake the strong feeling that a boy would be named George.
I have the same feeling. If they choose a traditional name, I think they will choose George as all the others names (besides John) are currently in use.

My ideas:

George Philip Charles Michael

Alice Elizabeth Diana Caroline

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Albert, Arthur, John, Charlotte and Victoria as middle names.

I myself would LOVE to see some combination of.....

1) John
2) Paul
3) George
and
4) Richard

:whistling:

Hey, it's a very plausible combination.....

Now those are truly Fab Four names! Ob la di Ob la dah..... :D

It is within the realm of possibility, certainly. It's also quite possible she will be the image of her grandmother. Then it won't matter what the child is named, they could name her Camilla and she will be Diana II.

I think that the press will carry on about the Second Coming of Diana for a time if there is any remote connection to Diana, but then it will fade. Those of us who lived the Diana days are getting old, I hate to admit. People younger than a certain age don't relate to her and my children have no idea who she is. She's becoming a tougher team trivia question rather than a slam dunk one.

Will and Harry were once in everyone's minds the Golden Sons of Diana. I think as they have grown older, lived their own lives, and developed their own personalities, this is less and less the case. I think the same thing will happen for this child and his/her connections to Diana will fade as its life is lived and personality is developed.

That makes perfect sense. But somehow logic does not prevail here for me. When I see news of the Monaco Royal family, I think of Princess Grace and look for her features in her grandchildren's faces (they're there). When I see news of Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg's family, I look for Jackie Kennedy Onassis' features in her grandchildren's faces, too (also there). IMO, this child will be known more for being Diana's grandchild than for anything else.

Or Elizabeth's great grand daughter....so perhaps the same line of objection should be posed to her having Elizabeth for one of her names or Victoria for that matter . To me the argument against either Diana or Elizabeth is equally spurrious.

Or Elizabeth's great grand daughter....so perhaps the same line of objection should be posed to her having Elizabeth for one of her names or Victoria for that matter . To me the argument against either Diana or Elizabeth is equally spurrious.

The Elizabeth link will be about - named after 2 great queens; royal heritage; duty; strength; calmness, loyalty to country. But it would fade fairly qucikly because these attributes are obvious over a period of time.

Diana link - well that could go many ways - beauty (or not); stable/unstable personality; desire to "be loved"; and, heaven help us, "the people's princess". On going and relentless.

There is no comparison.

I love the name Alexandra, and it was the name of William's great-great-grandmother so it'd class as "royal" name.

Yes, Princess Patricia of Connaught, who was suggested as a possible wife for Alfonso of Spain before he ended up with her cousin Ena instead :). & it's a Mountbatten name too. I don't think it's one of the favourites because it's never been used for major royals, but you never know!

I like Arthur, which was my grandad's name, and which I suspect was indirectly after Arthur, Duke of Connaught because he (grandad) was named after his uncle and too many of his uncles and aunts shared their names with Queen Victoria's children for it to've been a coincidence, LOL. I think having a "King Arthur" would be a bit much, though, but maybe they'd use it as a middle name.

I'm not able to read through all the pages of this thread, so sorry if this has already been posted, but according to People magazine archives of November 1981 (link here) The Pregnant Princess - Pregnancy, The British Royals, Prince Charles, Princess Diana : People.com

the potential names that Diana and Charles were considering before William was born were:
...for a male...George, Edward, Philip (in honor of Charles' father) and Louis (the name of his favorite great-uncle, the late Lord Mountbatten). For a girl, the top contenders are the names of the parents' mothers, Frances and Elizabeth.

:lol:

I keep reading this thread hoping for some insight,some new name but I keep seeing the same names over and over but I seriously hope most are wrong. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone because we are all just having fun speculating for the next 7 months.LOL:ROFLMAO: I am just glad we don't also have to wait til the christening to find out the name. Quick question, has anytime ever guessed any royal baby name in the last 8years? I'm not talking about Christian, even I got that and I'm ALWAYS wrong. Lol. I mean I don't think anyone would of guessed Vincent or Estelle, or even Leonor but I love names so I am going to keep reading and guessing...I just hope for a healthy happy baby name Alexandra.:lol:

I keep reading this thread hoping for some insight,some new name but I keep seeing the same names over and over but I seriously hope most are wrong. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone because we are all just having fun speculating for the next 7 months.LOL:ROFLMAO: I am just glad we don't also have to wait til the christening to find out the name. Quick question, has anytime ever guessed any royal baby name in the last 8years? I'm not talking about Christian, even I got that and I'm ALWAYS wrong. Lol. I mean I don't think anyone would of guessed Vincent or Estelle, or even Leonor but I love names so I am going to keep reading and guessing...I just hope for a healthy happy baby name Alexandra.:lol:

Oh, I got Athena right.....:lol:

Seriously, I did get Ingrid of Norway right. That was a no brainer.

I would think that "Elizabeth" or "Arthur" are actually pretty good bets to be part of the name. Why? "Albert Frederick ARTHUR George" (George VI); "Charles Philip ARTHUR George"; "William ARTHUR Philip Louis"; and "ELIZABETH Angela Marguerite"; "ELIZABETH Alexandra Mary"; "Carole ELIZABETH" and "Catherine ELIZABETH". Beyond those, who knows? "George" is a good bet, as is "Victoria". I also wouldn't be surprised if "Diana" were a third or fourth name - definitely NOT first and not what she'd be called. We'll all know in about seven months or so.:)

Close family members' names may appear: from the Middleton's, Michael, Peter, James, and from the Wales family, Harry, or rather Henry. We could get something unexpected such as Henry Peter Michael Charles, just to throw out an idea. But probably not. Harry seems so much a part of Catherine and Wills' life that I expect Uncle Henry will appear somewhere in the name. If it's a boy. If a girl, there is Harriet. Henrietta is old-fashioned but one can get used to old things made new. If the princess is Henrietta I think there would be all sorts of surprise giggles and then enthusiastic emulation and applause.

We have had Henrietta-Maria in the past, as a Queen Consort - wife of Charles I.

... Quick question, has anytime ever guessed any royal baby name in the last 8years? ...

Yes. Josephine was one of my guesses for the Danish royal twins and I also guessed that Princess Ingrid of Norway would be called Ingrid (though I didn't see Alexandra coming). Also wasn't there someone who suggested Estelle, or is that just me remembering wrong?

It would be nice to see the BRF include a (non-Greek) royal as a godparent, maybe a Norwegian royal (like Haakon) since they seem to be most-closely related to the BRF of the reigning royal families. I could see them not going with any foreign royalty (Greek or otherwise) at all, though.

Anyway, here's what I would like to see as a *first* name ranked from what I personally like the most to what I like the least, the child's future regnal number I'll also comment on the chances.

Boy:
Richard (I don't see it as too conflicting with the other Prince Richard, their lifespans are unlikely to overlap that much. But it's a longshot. I like it though.)
Charles (could be known as "Charlie" or something)
William (don't know the likelihood of repeating names so closely anymore)
Henry (Don't think it would present too much confusion since the other Henry, as we all know, is Harry :p)
Edward (...but I just don't see it happening with two Prince Edwards)
Philip (The only issue I could see is a numbering issue for the future monarch. Would they count Mary I's husband, since he was "King"?)
Michael (Real longshot but it's not a bad name and pretty traditional, maybe not for the BRF, but royalty in general)
George (Most likely, IMO, but probably my least favorite of the "traditional" names)

Girl:
Elizabeth (Obvious choice, and if the baby is female, my #1 choice)
Anne (second favorite choice, Anne II has a nice ring to it)
Victoria (I don't know if they would "go there", but I don't think QV would have been that opposed, after all, she named her eldest child Victoria, and she could have ended up queen if QV stopped at one :p)
Charlotte (could have negative connotations, but it's a nice name and would be a departure from traditional female British monarch names. Would also honor Charles)
Caroline (another nice name that would honor Carole Middleton as well as Charles)
Catherine (not a "traditional" BRF name, however, it sounds quite royal and would be different enough from "Kate" to work. I believe the child would also be a descendant of Catherine the Great.)
Philippa (nice way to honor both the DoE and Kate's sister, and "Princess Philippa of Cambridge"/"Queen Philippa" has a nice ring to it)
Sophia (Sophia of Hanover is the ancestress to everyone in the line of succession, so why not?)
Alexandra (obvious reasons)
Louise (traditional name)
Margaret (nice name, would honor William's great aunt)
Mary (not a favorite, though "Mary III" wouldn't be the worst)
Alice (a possibility, but not my favorite. Not modern sounding enough.)

I think there's much more room to go "non-traditional" (i.e. something not used by a British monarch) for obvious reasons, since there have been fewer female monarchs therefore fewer female names to choose from. I also don't think "Diana" will be used as a first name but I could see it as a middle name.

Today I read what the name "Irene" means: Peace, calm. That sounds regal. I believe it was in the Greek royal family, but why should that rule it out, Monarchist?

Today I read what the name "Irene" means: Peace, calm. That sounds regal. I believe it was in the Greek royal family, but why should that rule it out, Monarchist?

Irene is not a bad choice! My list were just some ideas/choices, not a definitive list, lol. Unless I'm secretly Will or Kate pretending to be in the US. :whistling:

It would be nice to see the BRF include a (non-Greek) royal as a godparent, maybe a Norwegian royal (like Haakon) since they seem to be most-closely related to the BRF of the reigning royal families. I could see them not going with any foreign royalty (Greek or otherwise) at all, though.

Anyway, here's what I would like to see as a *first* name ranked from what I personally like the most to what I like the least, the child's future regnal number I'll also comment on the chances.

Boy:
Richard (I don't see it as too conflicting with the other Prince Richard, their lifespans are unlikely to overlap that much. But it's a longshot. I like it though.)
Charles (could be known as "Charlie" or something)
William (don't know the likelihood of repeating names so closely anymore)
Henry (Don't think it would present too much confusion since the other Henry, as we all know, is Harry :p)
Edward (...but I just don't see it happening with two Prince Edwards)
Philip (The only issue I could see is a numbering issue for the future monarch. Would they count Mary I's husband, since he was "King"?)
Michael (Real longshot but it's not a bad name and pretty traditional, maybe not for the BRF, but royalty in general)
George (Most likely, IMO, but probably my least favorite of the "traditional" names)

Girl:
Elizabeth (Obvious choice, and if the baby is female, my #1 choice)
Anne (second favorite choice, Anne II has a nice ring to it)
Victoria (I don't know if they would "go there", but I don't think QV would have been that opposed, after all, she named her eldest child Victoria, and she could have ended up queen if QV stopped at one :p)
Charlotte (could have negative connotations, but it's a nice name and would be a departure from traditional female British monarch names. Would also honor Charles)
Caroline (another nice name that would honor Carole Middleton as well as Charles)
Catherine (not a "traditional" BRF name, however, it sounds quite royal and would be different enough from "Kate" to work. I believe the child would also be a descendant of Catherine the Great.)
Philippa (nice way to honor both the DoE and Kate's sister, and "Princess Philippa of Cambridge"/"Queen Philippa" has a nice ring to it)
Sophia (Sophia of Hanover is the ancestress to everyone in the line of succession, so why not?)
Alexandra (obvious reasons)
Louise (traditional name)
Margaret (nice name, would honor William's great aunt)
Mary (not a favorite, though "Mary III" wouldn't be the worst)
Alice (a possibility, but not my favorite. Not modern sounding enough.)

I think there's much more room to go "non-traditional" (i.e. something not used by a British monarch) for obvious reasons, since there have been fewer female monarchs therefore fewer female names to choose from. I also don't think "Diana" will be used as a first name but I could see it as a middle name.

I can't see Edward, Louise or Sophia being used as there are already two Prince Edward's, Lady Louise and The Countess of Wessex. I can see Sophie being a middle name for a girl, particularly if Sophie is used as a Godmother. I really like the idea of Charlotte as it has not been used for such a long time. I had thought Edward and Sophie would have used Charlotte but then they brought out the old-faithful Louise, so Charlotte is up for grabs! I can definitely see Elizabeth in there, as well as Philip or Charles if it is a boy but I cannot see them being used as Christian's name. I imagine it will be a modern, yet traditional Christian name.

Alexander and Arthur are my favourites, but we will probably never guess the name.

What about

Caroline Charlotte Artemis Michaella

:previous:
Well, an Artemis(ia) here certainly likes those choices. :cool:
However, I would be extremely shocked if Diana isn't one of the names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom