Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope they use a lesser known royal name. Both Frederick and Arthur are names that were used by heirs to the throne who never acceded i.e. Frederick (Duke of York) second son of George III (who would have assumed the throne before his brother William IV) and Arthur, elder brother of Henry VIII. There is already both an Arthur and Frederick in the family (Sarah Chatto's son Arthur and Prince Michael of Kent's son Frederick) but I still think it's useable, particularly for the heir to the throne.

For a girl, I would love to see Charlotte used. Again, it's the name borne by an heir to the throne (Princess Charlotte of Wales, only child of George IV). But other names that haven't been widely used could be Matilda, Eleanor and Mary.

Do you think since there is an Edward in the family, they would name if they have a son Edw?

There are two living princes of the United Kingdom named Edward. The Queen did not mind naming one of her sons Edward despite having a royal first cousin and a royal uncle named Edward. The latter was also the extremely unpopular ex-king. Is history trying to tell us that even the names we consider least likely shouldn't be discarded too soon? Who knows, perhaps Camilla's still hoping to see her name perpetuated :lol:

My cousin, Edward, is called "Ward." Always liked that. I also think it is silly to think of names as "bad" luck.

Last edited:
I also think it is silly to think of names as "bad" luck.

Its actually a relatively recent belief in the British royal family. Edward VII's youngest son was Prince John. He died at a few hours old and is buried at Sandringham. George V's youngest child, also Prince John. His life has been well documented as "The Lost Prince". He died at age 13 and is also buried at Sandringham.

Edward VII's son was Alexander John though, so I don't know how much bad luck there really is about the name John afterall. However, all I can think about when hearing 'Prince John' is the lion from Disney's Robin Hood :lol:

John has been one of the most commonly used names in the English speaking world. There's no bad luck associated with the name itself, and the man on the street couldn't tell you anything about the "Johns" of the Royal Family (er, no pun intended there) to save their lives.

I don't believe in luck, anyway. If the next "John" in the BRF has an unfortunate life, it will be through subconscious choice because everyone thinks it's bad luck.

Originally Posted by MrDGLees
Victoria, for a girl. Which it WILL be!
I made a video about it:

So funny, thank you for that. And your first post too; methinks we may hear a little more from Mr David G. Lees...!

And i go for 'Victoria' too.

Team Victoria here! :flowers:

I loved that video - he is a hoot. "William is a father of daughters" :lol::lol::lol:

Can someone please tell me where to place MrDGLees accent on the isle? I'm going to practice it till I get it pair-fect

love your accent, Mr. Lees! A Scot who can be well-understood, that shows you are well-educated. Unlike you and others, Mr. Lees, I have NO idea what gender the baby will be.
None! And I am somewhat psychic, not too much, I try to keep it down.
So many here like Charlotte. The heir who had that name died young before ascending to the throne. So she does not have a record of anything "off". It reminds me of cream puffs, and I would like a more vigorous sounding name, but Charlotte is by FAR not the worst offering.

The bookmakers have the baby being born on July 17th, so why shouldn't William & Kate name their baby girl Camilla. It's their decision and no one elses.

That said.

my original choices: revised
Alexandra Victoria Francesca (Beatrix) Camilla (Beatrix deleted)
Georgina Francesca Victoria Alexandra Camilla
Cecilia Caroline Charlotte Catherine Camilla
Alexandra Alice Angela Anne (no change)

George Francis Edmund Charles Bruce (1st son)
Alexander Frederick William James Bruce (2nd son)
George Edward Charles Phillp (no change)

or new names
Elizabeth Rosemary Frances Anne
Georgina Frances Rosemary Catherine

Since the baby will be born in July lets finally end the war and give the baby the name of both women.

FYI Camilla's niece is Catherine Camilla.

I don't like to think of names in the sense of "bad luck" either. But like The name John, I would have to say that Richard doesn't necessarily have the best track record, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like to think of names in the sense of "bad luck" either. But like The name John, I would have to say that Richard doesn't necessarily have the best track record, either.
No, "King Richard" has not had the best luck in the BRF as all died before their time: Richard I spent only about 9 months of his reign in England and died at 41 in Germany of gangrene; Richard II came to the throne at age 10, and was deposed and probably murdered at 33; and Richard III died at 32 at Bosworth. More recently though, the current Duke of Gloucester is also "Richard" and has led a scandal-free and apparently happy life.

Phillip micheal charles david for a boy.

Anne elizabeth carol phillipa for a girl

No, "King Richard" has not had the best luck in the BRF as all died before their time: Richard I spent only about 9 months of his reign in England and died at 41 in Germany of gangrene; Richard II came to the throne at age 10, and was deposed and probably murdered at 33; and Richard III died at 32 at Bosworth. More recently though, the current Duke of Gloucester is also "Richard" and has led a scandal-free and apparently happy life.

Someone has to break the cycle! Perhaps Richard will be a name.... Only time will tell!

Its actually a relatively recent belief in the British royal family. Edward VII's youngest son was Prince John. He died at a few hours old and is buried at Sandringham. George V's youngest child, also Prince John. His life has been well documented as "The Lost Prince". He died at age 13 and is also buried at Sandringham.
That's the other name I was trying to think of that would be good for the royal baby (if it's a boy). John is a great name, and despite the history of King John, I think this name could make a comeback.

I think not choosing names that have a negative association in one's mind is entirely normal. There are certainly some names I wouldn't use, not because they're awful names, but because they would remind me of unhappy memories, or people I don't particularly like. I suppose the royal family would be no different.

Edward VII's son was Alexander John though, so I don't know how much bad luck there really is about the name John afterall. However, all I can think about when hearing 'Prince John' is the lion from Disney's Robin Hood :lol:
Queen Alexandra referred to her youngest son as "Johnnie" in a letter to Queen Mary ("now our two darling Johnnies lie side by side.").

Agreed! (I regards to breaking the cycle) I mean look at Charles. The last Charles had his head removed! So obviously Elizabeth and Phillip felt it was time for the name to make a comeback.

Poor King John. I really think the whole Magna Carta issue was inevitable, whoever it was who sat on the throne at the time. Same deal with the loss of Normandy. John would be a great name. I don't believe it's currently being used. Prince John died at 13 and Prince Alexander John died soon after birth.

They also might use the name of a friend or family member who has passed away. Prince William himself was named after Prince William of Gloucester, whom Charles was close to growing up.

I'm sensing she will have a girl
But to be certain the further along she gets Ill be able to guess like the rest of us
Alice Elizabeth Diana
Anne Francis Caroline
Victoria Diana
Elizabeth Alice Spencer

I think it's going to be a girl, even though I'd like a boy, but who knows.

I'd like...
Boy: Arthur William Richard James.
Girl: Alice Victoria Margaret Rose.

I'd love Rebecca for a girl, but I really don't see it happening.
I don't really think Diana is a good option. :ermm:

Patricia, I see you have joined the Alice fans. Your name for a girl is excellent.
I had read years ago that the royals wanted to name a boy Arthur but hesitated because it was such a grand gesture to name a son after the legendary king of the mists. Maybe this time?
I was thinking, how nice to name a baby after the godparents who are present, or mostly present. For instance, Alice Anne Birgitta Rose. In such a case, no Alice would be present, but Princess Alice of Gloucester's daughter in law Birgitta and grandaughter Rose could be, as well as the Princess Royal. If a girl has Margaret in her name, there are children and grandchildren of Margaret Rose present who could be godparents.

Your name for a girl is more euphonious than mine, however. Sounds very good. I just don't like the idea of naming a girl for Victoria, whom i find interesting to study but not very inspiring as a person. Not a "bad" person, just a mediocre one whose imperiousness afflicted her family and others. I would like to see baby named after people I admire a lot, those ABOVE average in gentility, wisdom, and strength.

Patricia, I see you have joined the Alice fans. Your name for a girl is excellent.
I had read years ago that the royals wanted to name a boy Arthur but hesitated because it was such a grand gesture to name a son after the legendary king of the mists. Maybe this time?
I was thinking, how nice to name a baby after the godparents who are present, or mostly present. For instance, Alice Anne Birgitta Rose. In such a case, no Alice would be present, but Princess Alice of Gloucester's daughter in law Birgitta and grandaughter Rose could be, as well as the Princess Royal. If a girl has Margaret in her name, there are children and grandchildren of Margaret Rose present who could be godparents.

Your name for a girl is more euphonious than mine, however. Sounds very good. I just don't like the idea of naming a girl for Victoria, whom i find interesting to study but not very inspiring as a person. Not a "bad" person, just a mediocre one whose imperiousness afflicted her family and others. I would like to see baby named after people I admire a lot, those ABOVE average in gentility, wisdom, and strength.

I have! My mother wanted to name me Alice but my father objected. Why thank you!
I'm not a huge fan of Queen Victoria. Yes, she's interesting, but she's not very appealing to me. Gorgeous name though!
I admire Diana, but I don't want the child to be named Diana. It would be a curse, really. The poor thing wouldn't be able to forge her own path without constant comparisons to her late grandmother. They'll be there anyway, surely. But if she's named after Diana, they'd be rife!

I still think Kate is expecting a little girl :)
Her name will be Victoria Elisabeth Diana Mary. I think it's a lovely name!
Her godparents will be Pippa and Harry and some friends of the couple like some members of the Van Cutsem family. Maybe Alice and Nick Van Cutsem?

I think they will be very traditional with this first baby, like Frederik and Mary were with Christian. They will choose names from relatives and traditional names in the British Royal Family. My bets are George Phillip Charles Michael or Albert Phillip Charles Michael for a boy and Victoria Elizabeth Diana (or Frances) Carole for a girl. But if they have other kids, I would like they choose names not normally used in the British Royal Family, like Christopher, Gabriel, Rebecca or Susanna.

I agree that the name will be very traditional.

Patricia is also a name used before in the BRF. Princess Victoria Patricia, who went by Princess Patricia or Patsy. It would be a welcome surprise to see this name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom