Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like them too!

Eleanor could be called "Ella" or "Nora"... Although I think it stand nicely on its own.

In regards to "Rose" - I agree that it would be a wonderful choice. It does seem to be a nice complement to any name... I can't remember... Is Gabriella Windsor's middle name Rose?
No it isn't:flowers: her name is Gabriella Marina Alexandra Ophelia Windsor

I'm thinking Nicholas because its royal and Nicholas van Cutsem is William's friend (and little Grace's father) Not sure as 1st name but could be there

:ohmy:How about Alexander Lee after the founder of Catherines favourite couture house!:ohmy:

James would be a nod to the Stuarts and William is a scion of the Stuarts through his mum

Gracie Giraffe, "Alice Rose" is very nice but with Princess in front of it you have three monickers ending with "s" or "z". That encourages hissing. Nice on paper but say it out loud. "Margaret Rose", on the other hand, had a euphonious balance. Something like Rose Amelia has the right outloud sound. Or Rose Victoria like Lady Rose Gilman. Rose Catherine would be odd but has that same euphony. Rose Diana would sound great, but most of us here pull back at directly using the name. For me, the name Diana means a Greek goddess and that does not correlate with British queen. I do like Rose Catherine.

I see what you mean. It makes sense to roll the name off the tongue to feel what it sounds like.

Kind of like Princess Penelope Phillippa Priscilla Patricia would sound like giving someone the raspberry. :lol:

Somehow " HM Queen Rose" just misses the mark, maybe more appropriate for a bar maid or an elderly char lady.

Queen Rose sounds like a transvestite showgirl.

I do think it has to be "Name Rose" if they are going to use Rose.

Osipi, are you suggesting a Princess Pee-Pee??????? :D

Rose would be ok if buried in a string of names. Princess Margaret supposedly complained to her mother about only having 2 names and people calling her Margaret Rose and of course as an adult she dropped the Rose forever.

Queen Rose sounds like a transvestite showgirl.

I do think it has to be "Name Rose" if they are going to use Rose.

Osipi, are you suggesting a Princess Pee-Pee??????? :D

Only if we're naming a new doll baby for the future Princess. :)

I see what you mean. It makes sense to roll the name off the tongue to feel what it sounds like.

Kind of like Princess Penelope Phillippa Priscilla Patricia would sound like giving someone the raspberry. :lol:

Patricia Pamela Priscilla Penelope Primrose would be even more like it!!! :ROFLMAO:

For a boy what about

George Charles Michael Daniel

Girl,Elizabeth Diana Francis
Boy, Edward George William Philip

The baby may be named after his or her Godparents, or at least include their name in their line up. Prince Edward (Wessex) is named after is Godparents. Edward Antony (Antony Armstrong-Jones) Richard (Prince Richard of Gloucester, as he was then) Louis (Louis, Prince of Hesse and by Rhine).

Princess Estelle has the name Mary as one of her names and Crown Princess Mary is one of her Godparents. Perhaps this will be the same for the future baby Prince **** of Cambridge.

Last edited:
Girl,Elizabeth Diana Francis

Good Heavens - Giving the child her Grandmothers' full name! Just Diana would be torture enough for any growing girl. I can just see the Daily Mail printing pictures of the child at each stage of her life alongside those of her grandmother!!

Good Heavens - Giving the child her Grandmothers' full name! Just Diana would be torture enough for any growing girl. I can just see the Daily Mail printing pictures of the child at each stage of her life alongside those of her grandmother!!

They're going to do that anyway if it's a girl, this child will probably resemble Diana at some stage in her life it's pretty much genetic fact. Not just the DM, but several magazines have done side by sides with Catherine and Diana, the hair, the walk, the clothes. The ring doesn't help. But whatever name this child gets, it would have been Diana's first grand child and that's not going to go away. They could name it Camilla and people would still compare the baby with Diana.

Even a boy is going get the comparison baby looks.

If Catherine has twin girls, maybe called Margaret Anne and Bridget Rose, some godparents could be as follows: For Margaret, someone from Margaret Rose's family, such as Lord Linley or Sarah Chatto, foreign royals Mary and Frederick, Princess Anne, and from the Middletons, Michael. Bridget's godparents: (now you see my subterranean thinking) Birgitta, Duchess of Gloucester and Richard of Gloucester, Foreign royals Victoria and Daniel, Prince Harry, and from the Middletons, Carole. Bridget is a more British Isles version of Birgitta. An honor for the long service of the Gloucesters. Margaret and Bridget names go together (ending in et). One could add some more godparents but this would be a good group.

I doubt if you will see any foreign royals amongst the godparents, and if we do it is likely to be one of the exiled Greeks.

I think this will be the first sign of how close to tradition William will be in the future. Other royals as one or two of the four godparents will say alot.

The British don't really go in for selecting foreign royals as godparents just because they are royals, usually the godparents have to be close relations or friends of the family.

:previous:
Well, most foreign (European) royals are close relations of William.
Although I would be extremely if they choose royals from other houses as godparents, with the possible exception of the Greeks.

I agree. I don't recall reading articles stating that William is close to any foreign royals, even the Greeks in England. Maybe a polo event now and then, but don't recall one of those either. There was the awards ceremony a week or two ago, but I don't think that counts.

Guess that depends on how you define "close relations". The family relationship becomes more distant with each generation and will continue to do so with royals marrying their own citizens and not into other royal houses. The days of Victoria and Christian IX populating Europes royal thrones are long over.

I agree. I don't recall reading articles stating that William is close to any foreign royals, even the Greeks in England. Maybe a polo event now and then, but don't recall one of those either. There was the awards ceremony a week or two ago, but I don't think that counts.

Well he is godfather to one of Pavlos sons, and Constantine & Anne Marie were pretty regular guests at Sandringham and Highgrove when William was growing up so I am guessing he is more than a passing acquaintance of the Greek royals in London. That is why I suggested that if a foreign royal is selected it would most likely be one of the Greeks, although odds on the godparents will be direct family and friends of William & Catherines.

Guess that depends on how you define "close relations". The family relationship becomes more distant with each generation and will continue to do so with royals marrying their own citizens and not into other royal houses. The days of Victoria and Christian IX populating Europes royal thrones are long over.
I guess I count my second and third cousins as "close relations" so yes, it does depend on ones definition. Mind you, I don't disagree with your opinion; the days of dynastic marriages are over, at least as far as reigning houses are concerned.

Do you think since there is an Edward in the family, they would name if they have a son Edw?

Last edited:
:previous:
If they like the name, what should keep them from doing so? There are a lot of nicknames for Edward they could use to keep them separated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom