Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William and Catherine seem to do things with a minimum of fuss. I would guess just two sponsors. Harry and Pippa.

Van der Post however died when William was 14 so I don't know how much of a mentor he was to William . That seemed like a pick more for Charles than William.

Picking a cousin like Zara, Peter, David Linley or Sarah Chatto is a good way to honor the family without picking an immediate family member.

No one knew that at the time! ;)

He was pretty old in 1982. So the odds weren't with him.

If, and its a bit of a stretch, William, and hopefully Kate, were to decide to go with two older individuals that they know/like/trust, and two younger they know/like/trust, then I would think that Lady Sarah McCorquodale and Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton might be the elder of the two. Kate has known Jamie for years, and it was Sarah who accompanied Kate to one of Williams airforce ceremonies. Almost certainly Tom Van Straubenzee will be one of the younger; no doubt his recent marriage to Lady Melissa Percy sat well with HMTQ. The other younger would hopefully be a Kate nominee, someone clearly Her friend, primarily, just as Tom is clearly Williams friend, primarily.

Jamie is 53 and Sarah is 58 so it isn't like they are 70 + like Van der Post was.

@Skippyboo. Are we arguing? or are we agreeing? True, I am less than keen on the over fifty crowd, as godparents, but these two, especially Jamie, may be the exception to the rule.

I am agreeing that if WK want an older person Jamie and Sarah would be good because they aren't too old. Van der Post, William's godfather was 76 when named. Charles has Queen Mary and George VI as godparents if I remember.

I don't see a point of naming a really old person as a godparent to a baby if the person isn't likely to live long enough to see the baby become an adult.

I think Sarah is a good choice, but I think William and Kate will shock us with their choices. I could, however, be wrong and they go with very "ordinary" choices such as siblings and cousins. I do think a lot of thought will have gone into it though, and the people who have been chosen will see it as a huge honour to be selected. It's not every day you get chosen as a godparent to a future Monarch.

Care to back this statement up with fact? Usually when one makes a statement on a member of the royal family, its not unusual to be asked to provide a source.

If this is just your fabricated opinion, as you are new here, I'd suggest reading the rules we all agree to abide by here. This part in particular is very relevant here.

"Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated."

I agree with this.

You say Princess me, that Edward and Sophie wouldn't be chosen because in many years to come they will not be as important. That is not a particularly true fact when it comes to godparent selection. Perhaps you should look at William's godparents and Charles' godparents. William's godparents consist of Princess Alexandra (a distant relative, which is what Edward and Sophie would be in the future to George), who is well loved by the Queen and has worked very hard for the monarch. She may not be the most well known of Royals, but at the time of William's birth she was a bit more "famous".

I agree with this.

You say Princess me, that Edward and Sophie wouldn't be chosen because in many years to come they will not be as important. That is not a particularly true fact when it comes to godparent selection. Perhaps you should look at William's godparents and Charles' godparents. William's godparents consist of Princess Alexandra (a distant relative, which is what Edward and Sophie would be in the future to George), who is well loved by the Queen and has worked very hard for the monarch. She may not be the most well known of Royals, but at the time of William's birth she was a bit more "famous".

Very off-topic, but I agree.

Also, the Earl of Wessex is a great-uncle of Prince George, Princess Alexandra was "just" a first cousin twice-removed of Prince William.

In my opinion, members of the British Royal Family are much more close to each other than some people here on the forums supposes.

And I can't understand why the Earl and Countess of Wessex (or the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh, the titles they'll have by then) would stop with their duties at the reign of King Charles III.

His Majesty will need people to work for "The Firm", and, as he doesn't have a bunch of children to do that, he'll need help from his siblings and sister-in-law.

This is a thread about who might be godparents to George. As Edward is William's blood uncle and Sophie is his aunt by marriage it is reasonable to discuss the possibility of one or both of them being a godparent to George. Louise was a bridesmaid at her cousin's wedding so it is possible.

Threads don't just stay with one royal - if so then this thread is impossible as there is no way that any royal could be discussed as the other royals all have their own threads but this is potential godparents for George and there is the possibility that he will have at least one royal godparent and possibly even more.

:previous: I cant wait to see how people will react to the above "post".. The last two days about William vs Harry and now this..:bang:

I've seen some pretty odd posts in my time - heaven knows I've written some of 'em - but that one does take the biscuit!

-------------
Am interested in all the royals and enjoy reading the threads and posts in the forums, but don’t understand why Prince Edward, Sophie Countess of Wessex and their PR people constantly inject themselves into other people’s threads

:lol: thanks, i needed a laugh after a long day of work

glad to know that there are not just Camilla-haters around :ROFLMAO: sort of balances thimgs out a bit

I also notice this happens mostly with people starting to post here for the first time. A lot of this may be also because there are places out there where its the norm to trash and flame persons and ideas and opinions. Rather than starting a flame war here, most quickly notice that our moderators delete such posts and the general populace here tend to put them on the "ignore" function very quickly.

Makes me realize how hard our moderators work to keep this forum one of integrity.

Anyways... we now return you to our regularly scheduled topic.... :D

I enjoyed the various points of view with regards to familymembers as godparents, but i'm sticking with my first thought: that P.Harry is a 'sure thing'.
Other than him imo no royal family members and certainly no foreign royals, and my bet would be 4 godparents

Can't wait to find out what their choice will be :) also really hoping for a 4 generation photo

Will Prince Philip be in the four generation photo?
One might not feel him necessary since his equivalent is not present in the previous photo..
But I cannot imagine the photo without him..IMO The Queen is never complete, in anything, without him..
What do you guys think?

Maybe they will have a photo of the four men: the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and Prince George.

It would be awesome.

I also found this photo of Queen Victoria, and the futures Queens Alexandra and Mary, taken at the christening of the future King Edward VIII.

http://www.gogmsite.net/_Media/mary_alexandra_and_victoria.jpg

Maybe we'll also see a photo of the Queen, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that in the photo representing four generations of monarch and future monarchs, it would just be the Queen, Charles, William and George.

I'm sure there'll be a photo taken with both the Queen and Philip in it with George. This is going to be a milestone occasion and there will be several different combinations taken but I imagine only a select few will be released to the public.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose Harry and Pippa will be strong contenders because of their closeness as family. But then, I think they should have a couple more younger royals who have been known for good behavior. The younger Kents or Gloucesters come to mind. I have no idea who is "close" to W and K among this group. I'd suggest Lady Helen Taylor for the under-fifty crowd. Zara. Peter. The Gloucester trio, Rose, Davina, Alexander. I guess Princess Margaret's children are over fifty, although otherwise good candidates. I agree that choosing godparents who will be still "in the swim" when George becomes a teenager would be wise.
But I don't know these people, just read about them here on the forums. Zara or Peter would seem like the most likely to me.

Helen Taylor is 49 born in 1964. The same year as Edward, James Ogilivy and Sarah Chatto. Who are all godparents to each others kids.

William seems closest to Zara and Peter and is always it seems to be bumming a ride to the BP family Christmas lunch with David Linley.

When you think about it, Harry, Pippa and the parents of their younger bridal attendants (Linley, Wessex, Van Cutsem, Lopes, Lowther-Pinkerton, and Legge-Bourke) top a lot of the suggested lists. It would be funny if it turned out to be that simple OR will they choose from a completely different pool. I think they will have less than six godparents only because they like to make their own mark on things.

My order of preference

Of potential HOT-god-FATHERS..

Hugh van Cutsem
Peter Phillips
Lord Frederik Windsor
Lord Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster
Thomas von Straubenzee
Crown Prince Pavlos
..Did I miss anyone else..

And complete the pic with a cool dad and two hot uncles.. Can drool over it forever:lol:. To hell with women..

James Meade, Mark Tomlinson, the 3 Other Van Custems Brothers, Sam Whaley Cohen ( for the shorter ladies) , Mike Tindall (for some muscles), David Beckham For Hot godfathers

When you think about it, Harry, Pippa and the parents of their younger bridal attendants (Linley, Wessex, Van Cutsem, Lopes, Lowther-Pinkerton, and Legge-Bourke) top a lot of the suggested lists. It would be funny if it turned out to be that simple OR will they choose from a completely different pool. I think they will have less than six godparents only because they like to make their own mark on things.

I was thinking the same thing earlier on; perhaps the Linleys and one of the Wessexes are possibilities, because their children Margarita Armstrong-Jones and Lady Louise Windsor were bridesmaids at William and Catherine's wedding; and usually the bridesmaids are often children of the bride and or groom's friends or relatives (if you weren't friendly with someone, then you wouldn't normally choose their child as your bridesmaid/page boy). So I'm amending my previous godparents suggestions to:

1. The Countess of Wessex
2. Vicount/ess Linley
3. Prince Harry
4. Tom van Straubenzee/Hugh van Cutsem/another one of William's friends (apart from Guy Pelly because he has said that he won't be a godparent)
5. CP Pavlos of Greece
6. One of Catherine's friends

I doubt that any other foreign royals will be chosen as godparents, apart from Prince Pavlos because he seems to be the closest to William and Catherine. William is a godfather to Pavlos's son, Constantine-Alexios. Some members earlier on were thinking of Frederik and Mary of Denmark, but I don't see that happening as they've only met each other once or twice. HM seems to be friendly with the Dutch Royals, but I'm not sure if William and Catherine are. However I'm just judging by photos, articles and reports, so this could be inaccurate.

Last edited:
James Meade, Mark Tomlinson, the 3 Other Van Custems Brothers, Sam Whaley Cohen ( for the shorter ladies) , Mike Tindall (for some muscles), David Beckham For Hot godfathers

Nice additions, Skippyboo..
Though I dont think Beckham is close enough to be a godparent.
And Mike is not exactly hot..
I d take in James Meade. I knew of all van Cutsem brothers, and expecting them all will be too much. So after thorough consideration I went for Hugh..:lol:

I was focusing more on the hot than a realistic chance for godfather. Zara thinks Mike is hot :) He like a muscly teddy bear.

I hope that, whoever is chosen, they will carry out their duties as Godparents with a sense of the solemn responsibility implicit in the position.

Last edited:
If it comes down to a 'battle between the Diana faction and the Camilla faction', it will be no contest. I'm glad Charles is happy and Camilla is relatively accepted but the last poll conducted 3 months ago on whether Camilla should be queen, only 16 percent were in favour. There are literally millions of Diana fans and maybe thousands of Camilla fans. Face the facts, Camilla will never be accepted as Princess of Wales or queen consort.

This is not the place to reopen the debate on whether or not Camilla should or will become Queen when Charles is King. One of several such threads dedicated to the topic is here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...of-queen-when-charles-becomes-king-32105.html

However, as you'll notice, it and pretty much all the other threads on the matter have been closed.

Moving back to the topic of godparents for George, I wouldn't mind seeing Tom or Laura being included, although I think I would favour Tom a bit over Laura. I think we're going to see similar representation among their friends and family as we saw in the bridal party; a sibling, a M-W, someone from the extended family (a Linley, one of Camilla's kids, a Windsor, a Greek), someone older who's had an impact on William's life, and a friend or two.

I don't believe that we should hold a recreational drug use from more than 10 years ago against him.

Weren't we discussing the possibility of Guy Pelly being a godfather just a few weeks ago? Somehow, I think William's step-brother, despite his past drug use, isn't the worst they could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom