Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It also depends on the person's age. You may have a nickname as a little kid but not as you grow older. Also you may have a nickname within your own family but you don't use it outside of it such as the queen's nickname of Lillibet. If Charles wants to call George - Georgie, I don't think W&K will mind especially since Charles is paying the bills :)

Do we live in the same world?:whistling:

North, Apple, Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones, Quincy, Blue Ivy, Maxwell, Kal-el, Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence, Pilot Inspektor, Fifi Trixibelle, Kyd, Sage Moonblood, Memphis, Ocean, Rocket, Blue Angel, Audio Science, Moon Unit, Diva Thin Muffi, Moxie Crimefighter, Tu Morrow, Jermajesty, Little Pixie Frou-Frou Geldof, Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily, Diezel Ky, Racer, Yamma, Speck, Pirate, Alabama Gypsy Rose, Petal Blossom Rainbow, Bamboo, Calico, Lyric Angel, Buddy Bear, Poet, Ace Knute, Zuma Nesta Rock, Bogart Che Peyote, Princess Tiaamii, Banjo, Speck Wildhorse, Rebel, Seven, Camera, Mars Merkaba, Free, Bronx Mowgli, Hero...just to name a few.
:lol::ohmy::eek:

That's one of the reasons I love Royals!

Another unusual celebrity sounding name to add to your list is "Keelan", which I heard of the other day. I think some parents combine names to create a new name for their child, perhaps Keelan is a combination of Keeley (pronounced "Key-Lee", I think I've spelt the name correctly) and Dylan. However I also think that most of these names are made up. :lol:

I haven't heard of some of the names you've listed before, the most unusual name there Jermajetsy. I've heard of Ocean and Camera before; I heard a mother calling for their child in a shop who was called Ocean. Camera I heard in a documentary about tribal families from Africa.

Another unusual celebrity sounding name to add to your list is "Keelan", which I heard of the other day. I think some parents combine names to create a new name for their child, perhaps Keelan is a combination of Keeley (pronounced "Key-Lee", I think I've spelt the name correctly) and Dylan. However I also think that most of these names are made up. :lol:

I haven't heard of some of the names you've listed before, the most unusual name there Jermajetsy. I've heard of Ocean and Camera before; I heard a mother calling for their child in a shop who was called Ocean. Camera I heard in a documentary about tribal families from Africa.

On a plane towards New Jersey, the lady in front of me in the check-in line called her son Al Capone. I think this one beats all Apples and Oceans. :whistling:

On a plane towards New Jersey, the lady in front of me in the check-in line called her son Al Capone. I think this one beats all Apples and Oceans. :whistling:

I agree! :D I often wonder how parents/celebrities come up with these unusual names for their children. Al Capone wouldn't have been the first name I would think of when naming a child.

Keelan is actually an anglicized variation of an old Irish name, Caoilfhionn. Another variation is Caelan.

North, Apple, Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones, Quincy, Blue Ivy, Maxwell, Kal-el, Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence, Pilot Inspektor, Fifi Trixibelle, Kyd, Sage Moonblood, Memphis, Ocean, Rocket, Blue Angel, Audio Science, Moon Unit, Diva Thin Muffi, Moxie Crimefighter, Tu Morrow, Jermajesty, Little Pixie Frou-Frou Geldof, Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily, Diezel Ky, Racer, Yamma, Speck, Pirate, Alabama Gypsy Rose, Petal Blossom Rainbow, Bamboo, Calico, Lyric Angel, Buddy Bear, Poet, Ace Knute, Zuma Nesta Rock, Bogart Che Peyote, Princess Tiaamii, Banjo, Speck Wildhorse, Rebel, Seven, Camera, Mars Merkaba, Free, Bronx Mowgli, Hero...just to name a few.

Firstly, :lol: enjoyed that.

I only have an issue and that is with Hero - a woman who died for love.

Hero and Leander is a myth relating the story of Hero, a priestess of Aphrodite and Leander.

Leander fell in love with Hero and would swim every night across the Hellespont to be with her. Hero would light a lamp at the top of her tower to guide his way.

Succumbing to Leander's soft words, and to his argument that Aphrodite, as goddess of love, would scorn the worship of a virgin, Hero allowed him to make love to her. These trysts lasted through the warm summer. But one stormy winter night, the waves tossed Leander in the sea and the breezes blew out Hero's light, and Leander lost his way, and was drowned. When Hero saw his dead body, she threw herself over the edge of the tower to her death to be with him.

as there is nothing else to talk about ............ :whistling:

OH MY GOD:ohmy::eek:

I heard a name that it's not ugly but it's not usual either, I heard a mother calling her son at an hairstylist shop Maximus (or was it Maximilian?) something like that.

Georgie is cute for a baby and child, George is too strong, it fits well for a grown-up man.

Not all of these are "made up" names.

Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones - Duncan is an old Scottish name, Zowie is rare a variation of Zoe, Haywood is a name-turned-surname, Jones is David Bowie's actual surname. The only "made up" aspect of it is the fact that Zowie is a feminine name, and David Bowie's son is a son.

Quincy - A surname turned given name.

Maxwell - Another surname turned given name (although the gender was switched here as well, but that's more common for boy-names-to-girl-names).

Tu Morrow - Tu is a unisex Chinese name.

Ace Knute - Ace is both an English and a Macedonian name, while Knute is a Norwegian one.

Not all unusual names are made up names. Sometimes they're just names you haven't heard before.

I would bet good money that the parents of Tu Morrow were not thinking about a uni sex Chinese name.

I would bet good money that the parents of Tu Morrow were not thinking about a uni sex Chinese name.

Oh, no. Her mother's name is Debbon Ayer, and so Rob Morrow considers bad-pun names to be a family tradition.

The point is, however, as bad of a pub as it is, Tu is an actual name.

For every oddball "celebrity child name" I can give you 20 "celebrity" names that are ordinary.

Everyone is human.

In the past, royalty was particularly responsible for 1) new names; 2) importing yet unheard of names; 3) inventing names out of local sound sequences that hadn't been used yet.

This is especially true if you look across cultures. Naturally, some Royalty were notably uninventive, but certainly, if you look at - just one example - the early Germanic nobles, they were quite inventive with their naming.

It also depends on the person's age. You may have a nickname as a little kid but not as you grow older. Also you may have a nickname within your own family but you don't use it outside of it such as the queen's nickname of Lillibet. If Charles wants to call George - Georgie, I don't think W&K will mind especially since Charles is paying the bills :)

The trouble is, nicknames have a way of sticking, long after they've outlived their cute factor.

Georgie may seem sweet while the little prince is a baby, but when he's 6'4" and in the military, I'll wager it won't be very appealing.

But by then, many people may find it difficult to change!

Maxwell is the list because it refers a girl not a boy (Jessica Simpson)

Then that needed to be stated as I had never heard of it for a girl and have never heard of Jessica Simpson.

Hands down, these are the two best celebrity baby names in the world :D

There's also a lot of fairly normal celebrity baby names though. Just some of my own favourites: Alice Zenobia and Penelope Athena (Tina Fey); Dashiell John, Roman Robert and Ignatius Martin (Cate Blanchett); Piper, Oscar and Felix (Gillian Anderson); Archibald William Emerson and Abel James (Will Arnett and Amy Poehler); Matilda Rose (Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams); Pearl, Lucille and Jack (Paul Thomas Anderson and Maya Rudolph); Caspar, Clementine and Cosima (Matthew Vaughn and Claudia Schiffer); Leonardo and Luna (Javier Bardem and Penélope Cruz); Marcel (Guillaume Canet and Marion Cotillard) etc. I would go as far as saying that the majority of celebrities name their children something sane.

The trouble is, nicknames have a way of sticking, long after they've outlived their cute factor.

Georgie may seem sweet while the little prince is a baby, but when he's 6'4" and in the military, I'll wager it won't be very appealing.

I am a older American woman with the name Georgiann. My nickname to some people is Georgie. I hated it and ask relatives and friends to call me Georgiann. People that don't know my name call be Georgiana. I do like being called the formal name now IF THEY CAN REMEMBER. Too bad I didn't change it sooner.

BTW, What I really hated being called Georgie with that movie called Georgie Girl came out.:flowers:

Hands down, these are the two best celebrity baby names in the world :D

There's also a lot of fairly normal celebrity baby names though. Just some of my own favourites: Alice Zenobia and Penelope Athena (Tina Fey); Dashiell John, Roman Robert and Ignatius Martin (Cate Blanchett); Piper, Oscar and Felix (Gillian Anderson); Archibald William Emerson and Abel James (Will Arnett and Amy Poehler); Matilda Rose (Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams); Pearl, Lucille and Jack (Paul Thomas Anderson and Maya Rudolph); Caspar, Clementine and Cosima (Matthew Vaughn and Claudia Schiffer); Leonardo and Luna (Javier Bardem and Penélope Cruz); Marcel (Guillaume Canet and Marion Cotillard) etc. I would go as far as saying that the majority of celebrities name their children something sane.

I love Gillian Anderson's children's names, particularly Piper. Her full name is Piper Maru which is quite pretty.

Some celebrities name their children normal names, which is great but a lot of them have themes. Holly Marie Combs (actress from Pretty Little Liar's and Charmed) children all end in "ey". Finley, Riley and Kelley. I hate themes in names, but they are nice names.

Moxie Crimefighter is just a crime against a name, poor child! The actor Jason Lee from My Name is Earl named his child Pilot Inspektor...

Nicknames are something that just happen and are often rather weird. When I was little my nickname was Mollyball, which is longer than my actual name!

Last edited:

This just reminds me of an older cousin back in the late 60s, then a tall, strapping Captain in the US Army who stood up during a family dinner in his honor, called for everyone's attention and said (very politely) "I am 35 years old & have served my country through two tours of combat duty in Viet Nam. Please stop calling me 'Tommy'. My name is Tom." Needless to say, he got his way. My family is still infamous for continuing 'y/ie' nicknames. My remaining aunts/uncles, now in their 80-90s, still call one of my cousins 'Stevie'. He's 60.

I'm sure George will put the 'kibosh' on Georgie when he's ready in a similar fashion. Except for Catherine, mothers are allowed to call our children 'baby names' in private until we die.

I had many Maxwell ancestors, many of them power-mad manipulators who married women for their land, but modern Maxwells have excelled, especially in science. Scotland has produced, along with Israel, a disproportionate number of the world's scientists. Maxwell the surname became Maxwell the first name. The name is supposed to come from 'Maccaeus' Well" but I believe that is a guess. People have guessed about where my family name Pollock came from, but the answer is very simple: they took the name of the area in Scotland which they were granted by Walter Fitzallen, the Gaelic name Pollag, from "little lakes".

Last edited:
Hi folks; Im new to this forum, and almost as new to the internet and computer keyboards. So don't expect me to reply to any responses to my posts on the instant. Enuf with the excuses. Down to business.
My notion of a good system William and Kate might employ in choosing godparents goes as follows.
1. one rep from the Windsors, not a sibling, under 50
2. one rep from the Middletons, not a sibling, under 50 --I noted that when Will and Kate
visited Cambridge, Kate ran into an extended family member, a lecturer/tutor/prof at Cambridge, who might make an excellent and objective advisor on matters educational, re George. Just a thought.
3. one rep from the Spencers, under 50. I would suggest Viscount Louis Spencer who will one day inherit the land containing Diana's remains. William might wish to ensure access. 4. one Kate friend, under 50; someone William can tolerate
5. one William friend, under 50; someone Kate can tolerate
6. finally, throw HMTQ a bone; her choice, but under 50
This strikes me as fair, particularly since the names chosen for the royal baby represent both Spencers and Windsors, but not the Middletons. Yet, IMO, given the disparity in their resources and influence, the Middletons have given William and Kate far, far more than their Windsor counterparts; several nice vacations, wedding expenses above and beyond the royal bridal norm-- far more than the Spencers assumed, and lately, a home.
Of course, no one has ever accused the Windsors of possessing a sense of fair play; hence, i assume that Kate and her wishes will be ignored, as per usual, as per Diana, ad infinitum. Same old, same old.

Hi folks; Im new to this forum, and almost as new to the internet and computer keyboards. So don't expect me to reply to any responses to my posts on the instant. Enuf with the excuses. Down to business.
My notion of a good system William and Kate might employ in choosing godparents goes as follows.
1. one rep from the Windsors, not a sibling, under 50
2. one rep from the Middletons, not a sibling, under 50 --I noted that when Will and Kate
visited Cambridge, Kate ran into an extended family member, a lecturer/tutor/prof at Cambridge, who might make an excellent and objective advisor on matters educational, re George. Just a thought.
3. one rep from the Spencers, under 50. I would suggest Viscount Louis Spencer who will one day inherit the land containing Diana's remains. William might wish to ensure access. 4. one Kate friend, under 50; someone William can tolerate
5. one William friend, under 50; someone Kate can tolerate
6. finally, throw HMTQ a bone; her choice, but under 50
This strikes me as fair, particularly since the names chosen for the royal baby represent both Spencers and Windsors, but not the Middletons. Yet, IMO, given the disparity in their resources and influence, the Middletons have given William and Kate far, far more than their Windsor counterparts; several nice vacations, wedding expenses above and beyond the royal bridal norm-- far more than the Spencers assumed, and lately, a home.
Of course, no one has ever accused the Windsors of possessing a sense of fair play; hence, i assume that Kate and her wishes will be ignored, as per usual, as per Diana, ad infinitum. Same old, same old.

Thanks for this well-thought out post! I do think that some of the Windsors have a sense of fair play - and that tendency has grown since the 90s. Some still show a sense of entitlement as a strong character trait - but all do not.

And given all I have seen of the new Mom and Dad - I have no doubt they have been aware of all the issues that you have raised. This Team Cambridge thinks about all the details and makes their own decisions. They learn from missteps. They seem to have a clear vision of how they want to raise their family and who they want to be/become as they head toward the throne.

Welcome to the forums. :welcome:

@AdmirerUS I expect that I will eventually get over the weirdness of communicating with an unknown entity via the internet. But not yet.
Thanks, nevertheless, for your reply. And for not scaring me off this forum. So which Windsors, of import, do you think exhibit a sense of fair play.... IMO, these consist of minor royals, such as, perhaps, and always subject to revision, Peter and Zara Phillips and Prince Edward--possibly Sophie, altho she has her own agenda, I fear.
I do think that its time for senior royals to stop interfering in the private lives of family members. And that means they should butt out regarding the selection of godparents for little George.
But they won't. I fully expect that Kate, and her wishes, will be ignored.

@AdmirerUS I expect that I will eventually get over the weirdness of communicating

I just have more faith about the BRF (who are generally harmless, if costly) - and do do know they ALL have their own agendas. But then, so do I ;)

I think the Queen has improved with age. So has Charles. Neither is egalitarian - but they have improved. Anne cracks me up and while her nose can rise in the air, she does see through lackeys and has been known to do for herself. Just look at her hair :lol: I find Camilla to be a real person and while she loves to dress up in the jewels, her scuffed heels tell me she does not want a royal boot brusher. She's also happy to run off and be in her (non-royal) home with her non-royal family. Sophie and Edward have made strong non-royal choices for their children. I'd love to sit at a pub with Zara, Mike, Harry and William - and I have convinced myself that they would enjoy my self deprecating but well informed conversation. :ROFLMAO: I know, dream on.

I don't want to argue this - these are just my opinions. My Royal cup is half full these days as I have seen it far meaner in the past.

I save my true despair for war and genocide. If you go and look at my post on the Syria thread you will wonder why I have not already passed through this veil of tears. But then, given the way things are headed in the world, many of us soon may. :whistling:

Last edited:
@AdmirerUS I will search for the Syria thread. Thanks for your opinions, and, like yourself, I have little appetite for argument/nastiness; I prefer friendly, open conversation.
However, I would point out that you appear to be an American, with little vested interest in the BRF, whereas I am a Canadian and, like it or not, HMTQ is my Queen and my Head of State. I pay for her, and for every member of her family, whenever they visit my country, which they frequently do.
Nevertheless, you are quite correct to save your despair for war and genocide. So do I.
In the meantime, I fully expect the BRF to ignore Kate, and her wishes, regarding the choice of godparents. I am into realism, not fantasy, not pessimism. And we shall soon find out if Im right.

In the meantime, I fully expect the BRF to ignore Kate, and her wishes, regarding the choice of godparents. I am into realism, not fantasy, not pessimism. And we shall soon find out if Im right.

I seriously doubt that. I imagine at least one of her close family members will be a godparent. I can't see William allowing anyone to ignore her wishes here, and as we've seen many times, this couple is very determined to make sure her family remains a big part of her life.

@ HRHHermoine, @renauld I sincerely hope that you are both correct. However, I would enter a proviso, re your opinions. I would like Kate to receive one-third representation, re godparents. Not a miserly one out of, for example, six. It pretty much goes without saying--yet, here I am saying it--that Kate will not receive equal representation, a 50/50 split.
But, why argue when all we have to do is wait.

@ HRHHermoine, @renauld I sincerely hope that you are both correct. However, I would enter a proviso, re your opinions. I would like Kate to receive one-third representation, re godparents. Not a miserly one out of, for example, six. It pretty much goes without saying--yet, here I am saying it--that Kate will not receive equal representation, a 50/50 split.
But, why argue when all we have to do is wait.

I think possibly you're looking for tension that isn't there. This couple has been together for over 10 years, and many of the people in their lives matter to both of them.

For example, you'd probably count the Countess of Wessex as coming from the Windsors, but Kate is close to her as well.

I don't think the Queen, Philip or Charles are dictating potential godparents to the Cambridges. We know that when the wedding was being planned William was given a guest list drawn up by BP. When he asked the queen if he had to follow it, the queen said to tear it up and start with their friends.

Kate has a relatively small family 2 siblings and 2 adult cousin and 1 underage cousin. Wills has a sibling, 4 adult cousins and 2 underage cousins plus more adult cousins on his mom's side.

Plus with the length their relationship and them going to the same university, they have a lot of mutual friends. People like Sam Whaley Cohen, Holly Branson or St Andrews housemate Fergus Boyd.

I think they will pick as godparents people that George can go to and get support and help as he grows up. As a previous poster mentioned Sophie Wessex would count if we are counting from Will's side but she is probably closer to Kate then William is since the Windsor wives plus Adm Tim are always put together at events.

i get what Empress Jo is coming from: Even if you take into account their mutual friends, they both have childhood friends that they would want to maybe choose from before mutual friends. So do we see it being they each get to pick two of their childhood friends and then two mutual friends/family members? Like i'm sure will is going to choose from Guy P, James M, or Tom Van S, while Kate's childhood friends are Sophie C, Trini F, and Emilia JP. Are do they go with only mutual friends/family members they are both close to? I don't think its looking for tension to say that based on past examples the mothers side/wishes are sometimes not as represented as the fathers. jmo

My guess is they get to pick whomever they want. It is not like there is an actual job that goes with being a godparent. These people will never be guardians for baby George. At most they will be expected to come up with nice christening gifts and then birthday and Christmas gifts and in return they will be invited to important events in Georges life like major birthdays, confirmation, wedding etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom