Baby Cambridge: Musings and Suggestions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be surprised if the baptism isn't in the music room at Buckingham Palace.

BP is open to the public until 29 September, so I would expect a christening in early October - which would be about 3 months - which seems to be about the norm. If they wanted it earlier, they could do St Georges Chapel at Windsor.

William born June 21 Christening August 4th BP
Harry born Sept 15th Christening Dec 21 at Windsor

Not sure how they can really prepare for a world gone mad for info about them and now their baby, other than increased security and perhaps locking themselves away at Balmoral. Between the paps and the general public their lives and the life of the baby could be made pretty miserable with everyone wanting pics besides those which might be officially released. People will be going to even greater lengths to intrude in their lives to get a pic of Catherine and the baby. It could get dangerous for all concerned.

:previous: that is a worrying observation, because you are correct. They need that country estate where Catherine can be with her child, go for walks, etc., and lead some kind of normal life. Taking the baby for a walk around Kensington Gardens might happen once or twice but then it will be staked out. BP Gardens are out as well because of garden parties and opening to the public, never mind the fact that it is overlooked by the Hilton Hotel.

I agree that the frenzy around this baby will be frightening and dangerous. The media now pretty well leaves them be in Wales, apart from the odd sighting at the grocery But even that might not be the case now.

I still think that regular photos ops with select press and perhaps even an online blog about the baby would help with what I can only characterize as hysteria. I know that this has been shot down, but I think that such information, which can be controlled by Will and Kate, would go a long way in ensuring that any photo of this baby is NOT a money shot. Take photos of the baby in the grocery cart and post it, or on a swing in the park, or some video and post it. If this satisfied public curiosity to the point where there is no longer a demand for their image, it would be a good thing.

I agree that the frenzy around this baby will be frightening and dangerous. The media now pretty well leaves them be in Wales, apart from the odd sighting at the grocery But even that might not be the case now.

I still think that regular photos ops with select press and perhaps even an online blog about the baby would help with what I can only characterize as hysteria. I know that this has been shot down, but I think that such information, which can be controlled by Will and Kate, would go a long way in ensuring that any photo of this baby is NOT a money shot. Take photos of the baby in the grocery cart and post it, or on a swing in the park, or some video and post it. If this satisfied public curiosity to the point where there is no longer a demand for their image, it would be a good thing.

Yup, I think regular official photos the way Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel have done with Princess Estelle would probably help a lot.

Well, Victoria & Daniel has been pretty smart with handling the media with baby Estelle.

I also suggested this and got shot down. But there is going to be a media frenzy. I think formal pix, inviting photographers and then distributing will help to a certain extent. But that will mean that everyone has the same pictures so where is the exclusive???

It would be cheaper for papers to use the offical route but "celebrity" magazines, vying for an edge against each other - and these are mainly overseas in US, Australia, Germany, France, ITaly etc - they will still push the boundaries and the price will be so so high.

It is awful that the death of Diana has not stopped this pressure.

Using other royals as an example is not a true comparison. I just had a quick look on Getty images. on average European royals get anywhere between 20-40 images per event. BRF - well it is crazy:

Charle and Camilla on tour 523
Catherine on the London Underground (2 hours?) with the Queen 182
William and Catherine - Irish Guards ceremony 235

Its Bonkers! But the BRF sells.

We will have increased security, increasingly sulky prince and "unhappy campers".

I read what Jenny Bond wrote earlier - I'm sorry but this is way beyond the price of privilege.

I think that this is a great idea, and would indeed cool the ardor for all things Cambridge baby, but I doubt that William and Catherine would go for it. They love and cherish their privacy, and would do all in their power to keep their child as far from the media as possible.

I agree. I realize this couple values their privacy, but perhaps some compromise might be in order once the baby comes. Perhaps if they do regulary trickle out baby pictures to the market and have regulated photo ops, there might be a likelihood that the frenzy would lessen if they don't set up a scenario where the paps will fight over who gets that first money photo of the baby. I really think they should try to take a page from Victoria and Daniel. I think anything is worth a try if they don't want another media circus on their hands once the baby is born.

Why do something when it hasn't work in the past (with the BRF). Posed photos won't stop the Paparazzi. It's all about the "candid", caught of guard moment. That's what sell in the tabloid.

I don't see why they should take note from Victoria and Daniel. They don't deal with the same level of media attention that the BRF deal with. And British (and American) media culture is not the same as the Swedes

Look, I'm just saying anything is worth a try; whether or not they do this, it's up to them. There's certainly no harm in approaching something different and trying a page from what the other royals do with their families. They can always go back within their secured walls if this doesn't work out.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they tried that when William and Harry were kids, and it didn't work. So from their point of view why would they try something that has already fail? It's not like the media has gotten any better

I'm pretty sure they tried that when William and Harry were kids, and it didn't work. So from their point of view why would they try something that has already fail? It's not like the media has gotten any better

Did it really not work? Were the boys ever hounded by papparazzi as children? I'm not old enough to remember, but I do believe that at least when they were in school they went unhounded.

Look, I'm just saying anything is worth a try; whether or not they do this, it's up to them. There's certainly no harm in approaching something different and trying a page from what the other royals do with their families.

Yes, they will have to try something, because if we think that the mass hysteria surrounding Kate, and her belly, and her weekend in France, and her belly, and her decline of alcohol (Gasp!), and her belly, and The Announcement (Sing seraphim, cherubim and media dressed up as seraphim and cherubim), and the HG, and the nurse, and the DJ's, and the belly, and the portrait (ewwww) and Mustique, and the belly on the beach, and Hillary Mantel, and the belly, and the maternity wear is mass psychosis, wait till this bald, screaming, incontinent little fellow (or gal) gives its first hearty belch. :ermm:

Did it really not work? Were the boys ever hounded by papparazzi as children? I'm not old enough to remember, but I do believe that at least when they were in school they went unhounded.

Hard to say, they were photographed as children but that was due in part to their mother tipping off the press when she took them on outings (think Thorpe Park) during the War of the Wales.

Why do you all suppose there is such a fuss about this baby? It's only a baby. Millions of them are born every day. They pretty much look the same at first and very few of them are attractive when young.

Why is there so much interest in this family, compared with the RFs of the other European countries, and why so much in this particular baby? Why do people want to see its mother's increasing girth as it grows inside her? Why will they want to see photographs of the child the moment it's born? Why will the media be in a frenzy about it?

I really don't get it. I'm not talking about a reasonable, ordinary level of curiosity, I'm talking about "media frenzy".

Yes, it will be monarch one day, many, many years in the future. But why are so many people interested it now? Are people really interested in it or is just the media creating interest?

Is the Diana factor at work here? Is it because the child is Diana's little boy's child? Can it be traced back to Diana mania? I think it can. I think Diana's unhealthy relationship with the press caused some long-term damage.

If a cause can be identified, can a solution be developed? Or do the Royals secretly like attracting this level of attention and aren't really looking for a solution?

I think that saturating the market with weekly photos of the child and its mother might be a good idea. Many people will tire of the sight of them. Oversupply will lead to significantly reduced demand.

Last edited:
I think that saturating the market with weekly photos of the child and its mother might be a good idea. Many people will tire of the sight of them. Oversupply will lead to significantly reduced demand.

We see photos of the Queen every day in the papers.

After 61 years, there's isn't much people tire of her.

Its a lot of things. 24 hr news cycles. More and more celebrity magazines around the globe that need pictures every week. Everyone is now a paparazzi with their phones and can make money selling pics. The internet/twitterverse. Its also cultural because the Empire covered 1/4 of the world so a lot of countries maintain historic/cultural/linguistic links to the BRF. There is I suppose a bit of the Diana link but I would say the BRF always sold copy even before she came along and then it just expanded. This baby will be the heir the most famous, most photographed family in the world and yes the paps and the general public will be looking for that exclusive photo to make their fortune with. I don;t see it getting any better. Diana's death changed absolutely nothing when it comes to the paps and now the general public are in the same business.

Why do you all suppose there is such a fuss about this baby? It's only a baby. Millions of them are born every day. They pretty much look the same at first and very few of them are attractive when young.

Why is there so much interest in this family, compared with the RFs of the other European countries, and why so much in this particular baby? Why do people want to see its mother's increasing girth as it grows inside her? Why will they want to see photographs of the child the moment it's born? Why will the media be in a frenzy about it?

I really don't get it. I'm not talking about a reasonable, ordinary level of curiosity, I'm talking about "media frenzy".

Yes, it will be monarch one day, many, many years in the future. But why are so many people interested it now? Are people really interested in it or is just the media creating interest?

Is the Diana factor at work here? Is it because the child is Diana's little boy's child? Can it be traced back to Diana mania? I think it can. I think Diana's unhealthy relationship with the press caused some long-term damage.

If a cause can be identified, can a solution be developed? Or do the Royals secretly like attracting this level of attention and aren't really looking for a solution?

I think you are right on the Diana effect. But I disagree that it was all Diana and the press; it was the public as well. Princess, press and public created an unholy alliance.

Although there was a media frenzy surrounding "Baby Betty" in the late 20's and then the two princesses of the 30's; but this was a more staid, dignified British frenzy. When Margaret Rose had a yellow raincoat, suddenly every little girl had one. So it was not simply Diana-generated, but for some reason the phenomenon involving her brought it all so over the top. When you think about it, Diana was the first "Cinderella" of the British family as media-driven myth; she was the first young woman to marry the heir. When the Queen Mother married in 1923, the whole idea of royal as celebrity had not yet been born - that came with the birth of her daughter, as I mentioned above.

So here we have Kate, only the second women since this phenomenon was created to be the Cinderella. And here we have the hysteria.

So while I first said, yes, it's the Diana effect, while typing, I realized there were far greater elements in play here.

Concerning how many kids they will have, no more than two. Have you forgotten the struggle with HG? Everything we have read here indicates that those who have it once usually have it again. Catherine might even decide one is enough and leave it to others to produce babies for the family. How quickly we forget the major problem HG was. I had it myself and I still wanted another child, but now, seeing how often it repeats, I see that would have been another misery. It isn't just the physical misery, it's the stress caused to everyone around you, such as William and the first child. There seems to be no way to prevent HG. No one has suggested a way to do so simply because no one seems to know what causes it, that I know of.

I remember fairly orderly photo shoots with the young William and Harry before the public started getting whipped up in the "everything you had to know about the royals" mindset. Granted, now in the age of state-of-the-art devices and the internet, blogs, Tumblr, Twitter, Flickr, Wickr, Whathaveyou, the public as well as the media is in a tither over being the first to get "the shot" and yes, saturating the market might very well lessen the frenzy. Why not? What do the royals have to lose other than actually having to call somewhat of a truce with the media and with the public? If they manage to lessen the demand somewhat by a flow of photos, life might be more manageable for them. I'm not saying it will work, but I can't see why it shouldn't be given a try. Anything at this point is worth a shot because once the royal grape is born, all bets are off.

Last edited:
I think that this is a great idea, and would indeed cool the ardor for all things Cambridge baby, but I doubt that William and Catherine would go for it. They love and cherish their privacy, and would do all in their power to keep their child as far from the media as possible.

You'd think William would realize by now that he is never to get his wish and be treated as Will Middleton by the media. :argh:

I think you are right on the Diana effect. But I disagree that it was all Diana and the press; it was the public as well. Princess, press and public created an unholy alliance.

Although there was a media frenzy surrounding "Baby Betty" in the late 20's and then the two princesses of the 30's; but this was a more staid, dignified British frenzy. When Margaret Rose had a yellow raincoat, suddenly every little girl had one. So it was not simply Diana-generated, but for some reason the phenomenon involving her brought it all so over the top. When you think about it, Diana was the first "Cinderella" of the British family as media-driven myth; she was the first young woman to marry the heir. When the Queen Mother married in 1923, the whole idea of royal as celebrity had not yet been born - that came with the birth of her daughter, as I mentioned above.

So here we have Kate, only the second women since this phenomenon was created to be the Cinderella. And here we have the hysteria.

So while I first said, yes, it's the Diana effect, while typing, I realized there were far greater elements in play here.

Of course you're right about my omission of the essential component "the public" from the Diana Effect. I am again recalling that woman who was calling out to poor, bereaved, William that day outside KP when he and his brother were forced to undergo that hideous walkabout when they got back from Scotland. The public seemed to want those poor boys to comfort them. I'll never understand the mass hysteria we saw after Diana's death.

Diana was only a factor, but without her I don't think the phenomenon of Royalty as Celebrity, with its associated public demands, would have reached the heights, or depths, we now see.

I still don't understand it, mind you, because I just don't think they're that interesting.

Some people just don"t seem to have a lot to do in their own lives. Too bad they live through the media. If they would develope a hobby and life for themselves it would help. Read a book, learn to play a musical intrument. Do charity work. knit or chrochet for charity. Make comforters for the poor. Work in soup kitchen.

I think putting out ocassional photos would be a good idea, but I don't think saturating the media with staged photos would work. We live in an age where anyone can be a photographer, so while the press may back off, it wouldn't stop the twitter and tumblr users from taking/posting photos of Kate, William and their child (during a private day out).

Plus, I can already hear all the complaints about William and Kate using their child to generate good press.

I still don't understand it, mind you, because I just don't think they're that interesting.

I don't think there is much to understand. People find different things interesting. There are tons of celebs, sports stars, politicians, movies, etc. that I'm not interested in, but others find fascinating. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Of course you're right about my omission of the essential component "the public" from the Diana Effect. I am again recalling that woman who was calling out to poor, bereaved, William that day outside KP when he and his brother were forced to undergo that hideous walkabout when they got back from Scotland. The public seemed to want those poor boys to comfort them. I'll never understand the mass hysteria we saw after Diana's death.

Diana was only a factor, but without her I don't think the phenomenon of Royalty as Celebrity, with its associated public demands, would have reached the heights, or depths, we now see.

No, none of them are that interesting, they are all rather ordinary. All Wizards of Oz.

As for William and Harry who were forced to be on parade by the public, including Mr. Blair it seems, yes, I agree. They are not seen as human beings. Someone out there likened modern royals to "circus animals," they exist for us to admire and to be entertained.

No, I'm NOT suggesting that they should be treated by circus animals, or circus performers if you find that analogy less offensive. But I prefer to state "circus animals" because the shock is necessary to force people to acknowledge what we have done to royalty in the modern age. We as the public at large think we own them, they are glorified pets who have no rights. Instead of the reverence afforded to them in years past (also misplaced) now we treat them as performers who come out, entertain us, and then go back to their cage. And the most appealing of the circus animals are the very young and the very old, and the ones who do the most tricks (Harry in Vegas, Fergie in general , Bea and Eugenie with their wardrobes).

What does this have to do with this baby and media?
Not only do we think, as a group in general, that this fetus is a newly anticipated addition to the circus act, and that we have a right to gawk at the right to gawk and laugh and cheer for it and boo and it moves across to the center ring, but on top of it, there are those who want to give it top billing at this circus as soon as it arrives, because of course it will sell more tickets.

Is the baby a human or a commodity? Are we all not a hybrid, and just projection such frustrations onto those we see as the highest echelons, the most privileged?

What kind of life will this baby have as such? As I recall the Dionnes quints were treated much the same as children, and I believe those still alive are recluses.

So while I don't think this baby's parents are all that, I do feel enormous sympathy for this baby, and some concern. Yes, I feel less sorry for it because unlike many children, it will never miss a meal and will receive medical care. But its childhood is a troubling prospect nevertheless.

Long time since I last posted here. Really happy for the couple and I'm on #TeamGirl

What's superstition got to do with having a party for your baby? It's an American thing.

What's superstition got to do with having a party for your baby? It's an American thing.

People who don't celebrate the birth of a child prior to the birth do so (sometimes) because of a superstition that something bad will happen.

It's the whole don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom