Baby Cambridge: Musings and Suggestions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping when the baby is born, we actually get to see him/her or at least pictures.

One of the most famous pictures of William is of his mother carrying him out of the hospital in that blue polka dot dress after she was released. I am sure you will get to see something of that nature.

Never mind. I looked it up. Really nice things for a new baby.

I don't know if you've heard about the Finnish maternity box that expectant mothers receive from the government. But here's interesting news that they have sent the same package to Prince William and Kate. I wonder if, like many kids in Finland, the future heir will sleep in the cardboard box for the first few weeks. Probably not ;)

I find t hard to believe the little one will sleep in the box, however it would be a cute gesture to the Finnish people to take a picture of the little one in the box and send it to the president as a thank you note.

So, what's in the box?

Some of the things that are in the box are: baby clothes, bathroom accessories (eg. a hairbrush, I would imagine that a towel is included too), a cloth nappy set, a picture book and a teething toy. :flowers:

Source: the second paragraph of the article

I think it's a nice idea. A relative of mine recently had a baby and she was given a similar box, but hers contained nappies and cream.

So is it fair to say nothing will happen until Monday 15 July, or thereabouts?

Interestingly, BBC NEWS AND SKY TELEVISION are not sending any TV Crews until at the earliest, next week! Yes, the newspaper reporters are at the hospital now, but no BBC/SKY TV News crews have any plans to attend until next week! Maybe, it is too expensive (equipment wise), or they have insider information?

Last edited:

Attachments

• image-1063844400.jpg
    image-1063844400.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 125
  • image-1462969274.jpg
    image-1462969274.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 152
  • image-408398964.jpg
    image-408398964.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 112
  • image-3725849781.jpg
    image-3725849781.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 117
I don't know if you've heard about the Finnish maternity box that expectant mothers receive from the government. But here's interesting news that they have sent the same package to Prince William and Kate. I wonder if, like many kids in Finland, the future heir will sleep in the cardboard box for the first few weeks. Probably not ;)

Why would anyone put their baby to sleep in a cardboard box if they did not have to?

Why would anyone put their baby to sleep in a cardboard box if they did not have to?

Not all new moms have a crib right away, and I believe that was the idea behind it. I thing it was ingenious actually -for those mothers who don't have crib. Many who receive the box don't have what is in there. Great idea for sure!

It's very common in Finland to use the box of this finnish maternity package as a first bed for the baby, for a month or two. The box is small and the baby feels secure in it, better than in a bigger bed. Many woman puts beautiful cloth to the sides of the box. The box is also easy to carry from one place to another at home.

Hardman’s Theorem on Rotary Wing-Induced Reproductive Sex Ratios. Impressive.

Interesting indeed. If true then any future Cambridge baby would more likely be a girl as well if William remains in the RAF. And Prince Harry would probably have daughters too. Peter Phillips already has 2 daughters. That leaves Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie to provide great grandsons for HM.
I was secretly hoping they would have a boy, but that seems less likely w/ the acute morning sickness + helicopter factors.
The waiting is harder because we don't now the official due date. If the official due date is say 7/21, then C & W and families will know it's not even likely to be born for another week or so. Plus Catherine's doctors will be seeing her quite frequently by now and will have a good idea of where the pregnancy is at.

I find t hard to believe the little one will sleep in the box, however it would be a cute gesture to the Finnish people to take a picture of the little one in the box and send it to the president as a thank you note.

I agree! What a nice gesture this would be. Better hope they don't forget the little one in the box and have the postman pick it up! What a kerfuffle that would be.

Interesting LadyFinn. Well, it makes sense when you think about it.

That's a good idea.

Perhaps something other countries should consider as well.

Not all new moms have a crib right away, and I believe that was the idea behind it. I thing it was ingenious actually -for those mothers who don't have crib. Many who receive the box don't have what is in there. Great idea for sure!
I think it is a brilliant idea. Cribs can take up a lot of space, especially when you want your newborn close for those night time feedings. If you don't have a bassinet, then this provides a safe but compact space for a newborn.

Here's is more info about the finnish maternity box, it's traditions and interviews of users.
BBC News - Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes
If parents believed that they didn't need it then I wonder if the box and its contents could be donated to new mothers in poor countries so they could have a better start? You might not need a snow suit in some parts of the world but a safe, clean place to put your baby down for its nap would be a great help.

Yes she and Daniel received one before Estelle's birth.

Well all I can say is, bravo! I wish there was something like that in the U.S. Considering the amount of poverty level citizens here it would come as a godsend for alot of our low income pregnant women. I think the welfare system here provides some of the necessities needed but wouldnt it be nice to have a box filled with all the things you can think of and a clean, safe place to lay the babys head. I think it is a great idea and it is nice that it does not have to be just for prople with low to no income. What a wonderful gift.

One of the most famous pictures of William is of his mother carrying him out of the hospital in that blue polka dot dress after she was released. I am sure you will get to see something of that nature.

I was glued to the TV the day he came home from the hospital. I am hoping for the video/pictures in this book remember the boys playing in the back yard and Charles down on the floor playing on the piano? Or pictures of the christening. or my favorite picture not the best one I have found, but you get the idea.

Sorry if this had been posted already : http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/usatoday/article/2438247

Palace sheds some light on Kate's baby plans

Jul. 3, 2013
by USA TODAY

LONDON (AP) - With Prince William and Catherine Duchess of Cambridge expecting their first child in mid-July - and much of the world interested in the birth of a future monarch - officials at Clarence House have released some of the couple's plans, although many details are still being kept private. Kate has made several public appearances recently but is expected to keep a low profile in the final weeks of her pregnancy. Here is the latest news about the infant who will, upon entering the world, be third in line for the British throne.

King or queen?

Royal officials can't say - and it's not because they are being coy, it's because Kate and William have not found out - and don't plan to.

"They don't know the sex of the baby and have decided not to find out," said a royal official who spoke on condition of anonymity under Palace guidelines for distributing information to the press.

Pacing the hallway or in the room with his wife?

Officials said William "fully intends to be present at the birth." The birth is expected to take place at the private Lindo Wing of St. Mary's hospital in central London. That is the hospital where William and his younger brother, Prince Harry, were born.

Who's in charge?

A spokesman said the medical team will be led by royal gynecologist Marcus Setchell.

Will the public know when Kate is admitted to the hospital?

Officials said there will be no advance notice. The public will be told once she has settled in her room in the early stages of labor, the spokesman said, anticipating that this would be within an hour of her arrival at the hospital.

How will people find out that an heir to the throne has been born?

This will be a mix of tradition and new social media. Officials said a royal aide will emerge from the hospital with a signed bulletin on foolscap-sized paper carrying the Buckingham Palace letterhead. The bulletin will be given to an official who will be driven to the Palace, where it will be posted on an easel in public view in front of the building. At the same time the bulletin is posted, there will be an announcement on Twitter and the media will be formally notified. The document will give the baby's gender, weight and time of birth.

And the name?

Not so fast. Officials said they don't know how quickly a name will be chosen. When William was born, a week passed before his name was announced.

Visiting hours?

Officials said royals and members of the Middleton family are likely to visit, but Queen Elizabeth II is not expected to visit at the hospital because she will be on her summer vacation at the Balmoral estate in Scotland.

Time off?

William plans to take two weeks paternity leave and then return to his military duties as a search-and-rescue helicopter pilot in Wales.

I was responding to the earlier post that stated both William & Kate have blue eyes, so the baby would also.

Ah i apologize, i did not see that post and anyways i always did picture that if it was a boy to take after Catherine and if a girl to take after William. But i'll guess that we're going to have to wait and see. :flowers:

Guess we wont have a July 4th baby so need for a presidential godparent. Oh well, maybe next time.:flowers:

I hope it's a girl, but if it's a boy I hope it inherits its hair from Michael Middleton and not William's side of the family. Male pattern baldness is a cruel thing.

I think it is a brilliant idea. Cribs can take up a lot of space, especially when you want your newborn close for those night time feedings. If you don't have a bassinet, then this provides a safe but compact space for a newborn.

I had a friend who used a largish rectangular laundry basket - and that worked really well, because it was disinfect-able, also let air flow and had sturdy handles. Better than a Moses basket really!

Plus I think most of us have use three pillows and the headboard on a bed or something similar on the floor. New parents just like to keep the little ones close when then they are new. Then that wears off a bit and you are just happy when they sleep! :lol:

Now July 5th in the U.K. No July 4th Baby.

LIKE! I'm hoping we go to the week of the 13th. No reason, other than I'm feeling it. ;)

Honestly, If I were in Kate's position, I'd take Lupo out for a walk. No matter how sluggish I felt, it would just be a crazy thing to do right now and it would make me laugh. Imagine all the photogs bored to tears outside the hospital seeing tweets that she was out walking the dog. :lol::lol::lol: Kate probably does not have the wicked streak that I do! But that would be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom