Baby Cambridge: Musings and Suggestions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mail starts to make assumptions again...
This actually means nothing, when my aunt was pregnant (with a girl and she knew it), she and her husband decided to buy a blue buggy, because its more pretty and girls can use blue (and of course if they brought pink, it would be a problem if she had a boy next).

The way we can be sure about the baby's gender when buying a "certain object" in a specific color, like clothes, buggy, etc...is the pink color, we can be sure its a girl if a women buys a certain clothe or buggy in pink, however with blue, we can't be sure, because girls wear blue a lot, either in clothes or objects.

So this is nonesense from Mail...once again...

The way we can be sure about the baby's gender when buying a "certain object" in a specific color, like clothes, buggy, etc...is the pink color, we can be sure its a girl if a women buys a certain clothe or buggy in pink

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that. Some people just love the colour pink.

But it is unreal to buy a buggy in pink if you're having a boy, no matter how much you love that color.

I agree with the above. Most parents will not buy pink for their son or blue for their daughter. But again I take the story with a grain of salt because of the source.

But it is unreal to buy a buggy in pink if you're having a boy, no matter how much you love that color.

Why? The baby doesn't care what color it is and the buggy functions the same way either way.

I know a lot of people won't do it, but that's changing. People are recognizing that colors do not need to be strictly tied to gender.

The baby isn't the one buying the clothes or carriages, the parents are. And some parents don't care about color=gender but I'm pretty confident William and Kate aren't one of those parents, that's why people are making a big deal out of the color of her baby carriage.

Blue for a carriage is gender neutral, as far as I'm concerned. People tend to buy these items for their functionality and safety ratings, rather than appearance. If she did not want to reveal the gender, she would never have purchased a carriage that she thought was gender specific. In other words, she sees the color of the carriage, as I do, as gender neutral if there is any truth to this story.

I bought a blue and green plaid carriage without knowing the gender, figuring it would look cleaner after serving its purpose of rolling around city streets and it could be used for all children, boys and girls. And pink fabric on an outdoor item is very impractical.

The buggy story seems like nonsense- Kate tells the Irish guards wives on st paddy's day that she ordered a blue buggy. Wasn't it 2 weeks ago that Kate and Carole were spotted at John Lewis dept store browsing the car seats and buggys. She also wore a blue dress last week and William and Harry had on blue ties at the HP events - all baby gender clues

Last edited:
I hate Bugaboo buggies, but if it's her choice then why not. I prefer them to "jogger buggies" (the 3 wheeled buggies). I like the colour light blue and I am in the group who don't think that because it's blue it's a boy as girls can use light blue buggies. Or perhaps it's all mind work from Kate and her PR people to put people "off the scent" and surprise us all when they introduce little HRH Princess "Insert name" of Cambridge swaddled in a pink fluffy blanket in the arms of William.

Ah yes - lucky she didn't buy a green buggy - because then she would expect a baby from Mars ;)

This is unreal. Maybe a genetic cue, because sons run in the family.

Who's family? I'd say its about even in the Windsors these days. And I haven't a clue with the Middletons

EDIT: And girls definitely run in the Spencers

The baby isn't the one buying the clothes or carriages, the parents are. And some parents don't care about color=gender but I'm pretty confident William and Kate aren't one of those parents, that's why people are making a big deal out of the color of her baby carriage.

I was disputing the suggestion that we can be "sure" that a baby is a girl if the expectant mother buys pink. I don't dispute that it's usually the case, but it is not without exception. I have no particular opinion about the Cambridges' colour preferences.

In any case, it seems that spare sets of canopy and apron are available for that buggy, so it's quite possible that she has bought one in another colour too.

This tells me nothing. When my parents had my sister, they had a dark blue buggy. I know that given a choice, I'd get a buggy in a color that is workable for either gender, and any shade of blue falls in that category. DM needs to find other things to focus on.

Ah yes - lucky she didn't buy a green buggy - because then she would expect a baby from Mars ;)

Either that, or our favorite Duchess had some Green Elixir that a traveling salesman from a faraway land offered her while William was off rescuing some poor soul lost on the Welsh coast...

Who's family? I'd say its about even in the Windsors these days. And I haven't a clue with the Middletons

No, I wasn't serious at all. I did read some posts that compared the no. of girls/boys for the Windsors, so someone already said.

I was being sarcastic
Similarly.

Last edited:
Well, they can be like King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, only having daughters. I would like to see that happening again.

Catherine's genetics do nothing in determining the gender of the baby - she only has an X chromosome to give. It's William who's contribution has the deciding factor there - either he gave an X chromosome or a Y. There are 50 male-line descendants of George I of Greece (Prince Philip's grandfather), 25 male and 25 female. Statistically it's a 50/50 chance, and there's no history of one gender happening more or less often in the family.

Why? The baby doesn't care what color it is and the buggy functions the same way either way.

I know a lot of people won't do it, but that's changing. People are recognizing that colors do not need to be strictly tied to gender.

The baby does not care but mosts dads do care what color buggy the little man is put in. You could not have paid my husband to put either of our sons in a pink buggy.

If you wanted to appeal to the baby's tastes you would go black and white with bold swaths of RED and then YELLOW in bold contrasting shapes. Babies see in black and white and then eventually reds, then yellows and blues. Totally unbaby like - but think of the favorite Sesame Street characters, big yellow birds, blue cookie monsters with black and white eyes, a bright green grouch, a bright red Elmo all with black and white eyes that jump out at you. My son loved his tiny little Winnie the Pooh for this reason - he could work out what it was, a face. They are not interested in the pastels because they can't see them and distinguish them. Which means the nurseries are for the parents' pleasure not the babies. We all fall into that.

These outdoor things get really dirty, really quickly. Pink is completely impractical and I think a big pink buggy is really naff looking. I once saw a couple marching along on the streets of New York - the man holding five boys and then came the mother, pushing a huge pink carriage swathed in tulle. It looked like a chariot. I'll bet that little girl had about four princessy names too, but I suppose I'm way off topic here. That's what I think of pink carriages. :flowers:

I think if I had a baby girl, I wouldn't want a pink carriage; a little too cutesy for me, but that's my taste.

Catherine's genetics do nothing in determining the gender of the baby - she only has an X chromosome to give. It's William who's contribution has the deciding factor there - either he gave an X chromosome or a Y. There are 50 male-line descendants of George I of Greece (Prince Philip's grandfather), 25 male and 25 female. Statistically it's a 50/50 chance, and there's no history of one gender happening more or less often in the family.

Actually, it is thought that the woman's secretions determine which type of sperm is more likely to survive the hours or days necessary for conception. I think the X swimmers prefer a more acid like environment and the Y swimmers a more base like environment, and most women have more neutral environments. This is why on occasion there are women with 7 or 8 of one gender - can't really tell if a woman has just two kids - that might just be luck of the draw.

I am not sure if the woman's environment is a genetic factor or not. But I think for the most part, it's all up to chance.

Actually, it is thought that the woman's secretions determine which type of sperm is more likely to survive the hours or days necessary for conception. I think the X swimmers prefer a more acid like environment and the Y swimmers a more base like environment, and most women have more neutral environments. This is why on occasion there are women with 7 or 8 of one gender - can't really tell if a woman has just two kids - that might just be luck of the draw.

I am not sure if the woman's environment is a genetic factor or not. But I think for the most part, it's all up to chance.

According to the Shettles Method, Y swimmers are faster, but don't live as long in the acidic women's environment, so if you want a boy you have to have sex closer to ovulation, in a position that allows for deeper penetration, and preferably involves female orgasm (which lowers the acidicy of the environment). If the sex is had further away from ovulation, and doesn't involve deep penetration or female orgasm then the X swimmers are more likely to survive and hit the egg.

So, really, it could just be that men who have multiple daughters and no sons are just bad lovers.

I think the boy would have it easier than a girl would. Look at the coverage that Suri Cruise and Harper Beckham gets. With girls you have fashion issues, weight issues and hair/make up issues that boys don't have to worry about. Now throw in that baby Cambridge is the future monarch and if a girl will be compared to the queen, Diana, Kate and Pippa.

Of course, if we all remember what we learned in school - the father determines the child's gender.End of story.

When my mom was pregnant with my youngest brother, she found out in August 1995 around the 6 or 7-week mark after missing 1 period (her last one had started June 27th), and told the family in October (other than my dad, whom she told right away) around Thanksgiving weekend. My parents didn't know what they were having but my grandpa (paternal) somehow did. He wrote in his journal around that time that my mom and dad were expecting a BOY the first week of April '96. My brother was born by C-section the third week of January ten weeks early, after a partial placental separation resulting in a 30-hour labour.

Last edited:
Also, a good 30 years ago, a friend of one of my mom's coworkers was told by her doctor that she was having a girl. She decorated the nursery all pink, but when the baby was born, it was a boy! So she had to go out and buy blue wallpaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom