Baby Cambridge: Musings and Suggestions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When it was first suggested that Phillip marry Elizabeth, whenever that was, was that in poor taste?

There are several Boudreaux and Thibodeaux joke books in South Louisiana, all poking fun of them, and the South Louisianians love the jokes. But to veer the topic away from jokes about Southerners, no one suggested that Elizabeth and Philip get married. Elizabeth, herself, at a very early age (13) fell in love with Philip and declared that this was the man she would marry, no ifs ands or buts. They are second cousins, once removed, through Christian IX of Denmark ... and third cousins through Queen Victoria.

Last edited:
This is probably all total rubbish, but I figured I'd share anyway since this is a speculation thread:

Kate Middleton and Prince William's special name for Royal Baby: 'Our little grape' | Mail Online

I'd love to know how this 'newspaper' comes to have this type of information. Of course there's always a possibility of someone seeing Catherine eat something, and then go and blab it to the tabloids, but the fact that this kind of stuff is now out and about is a bit unnerving. She should be able to enjoy her pregnancy, and not have her food preferences and what have you be a topic of discussion. And just an aside, if she's indeed craving pastries, she's lucky to be burning them off and looking so great. She looks healthy and happy, and I'm glad that things have become a bit more pleasant.

I'd love to know how this 'newspaper' comes to have this type of information. Of course there's always a possibility of someone seeing Catherine eat something, and then go and blab it to the tabloids, but the fact that this kind of stuff is now out and about is a bit unnerving. She should be able to enjoy her pregnancy, and not have her food preferences and what have you be a topic of discussion. And just an aside, if she's indeed craving pastries, she's lucky to be burning them off and looking so great. She looks healthy and happy, and I'm glad that things have become a bit more pleasant.

Yea, the pastry craving could probably be found out just by workers or other people observing what she buys at Starbucks, but the nickname and her fitness routine would have to be divulged by someone close to her, and I just don't see that happening.

Yea, the pastry craving could probably be found out just by workers or other people observing what she buys at Starbucks, but the nickname and her fitness routine would have to be divulged by someone close to her, and I just don't see that happening.

Absolutely. And I'd imagine that is someone who is trusted did do something like that, that person would lose the privilege of being friends with the couple.

There are several Boudreaux and Thibodeaux joke books in South Louisiana, all poking fun of them, and the South Louisianians love the jokes. But to veer the topic away from jokes about Southerners, no one suggested that Elizabeth and Philip get married. Elizabeth, herself, at a very early age (13) fell in love with Philip and declared that this was the man she would marry, no ifs ands or buts. They are second cousins, once removed, through Christian IX of Denmark ... and third cousins through Queen Victoria.

It really amazes me that one little joke could cause such uproar.....

In any event, I'm going to suggest that Will and Kate do what we Americans do and give the baby a name which combines the names of both mom, er, mum, and dad;

Wate (favored 10 to 1 in a Daily Mail poll)

or

Kill (a name which would only really work it it were a guy who looked like Jan Claude Van Dam. Don't ask me why, but it's true).

I admit when the southern/cousin words came up i started hearing a banjo.

Kate Middleton: Duchess of Cambridge reveals she wants a son but says Prince William would prefer a daughter | Mail Online

"The Duchess of Cambridge said today that she hopes her baby is a boy.
But Kate, who is five months pregnant, said Prince William would prefer to have a girl.
The Duchess made the revelations while speaking to a soldier during the couple's visit to Mons Barracks in Aldershot, Hampshire, for a St Patrick's Day parade."

And I'm with the Duke of Cambridge. I really hope it's a girl.

The Duchess can have the boy she wants on her next pregnancy. After Her Majesty, we'll have two Kings in a whole, it will be good to have a Queen as the next one.

And a girl will be the perfect way to put the new succession rules in practice.

Yes, but everything indicates that the new rules will be in place soon or later (most likely soon).

Actually The House of Lords Constitution Committee denied the governments plan to fast track to bill citing that the bill was of constitutional significance and could have unintended consequence. So everything indicates the baby will be born before new laws are put into place.

Whether the baby comes first or the succession laws come first is a bit irrelevant as they're designed to be retroactive. Regardless of gender, this baby will be his/her father's heir.

I would imagine, though, that if the Cambridge baby is a boy it'll slow down some of the rush to change the succession laws.

Actually The House of Lords Constitution Committee denied the governments plan to fast track to bill citing that the bill was of constitutional significance and could have unintended consequence. So everything indicates the baby will be born before new laws are put into place.

And I have to say that you gave me great news. I'm very worried about the loopholes that can let Catholicism reach heirs to the Throne.

Anyway, I can't see the new rules take so long to be passed that the Duchess had already had another child.

I would imagine, though, that if the Cambridge baby is a boy it'll slow down some of the rush to change the succession laws.

The legislation will probably be forgotten until this child has children, if it's a boy. I personaly hope for a boy like Catherine.

As I understand it the Canadian Senate also decided they wanted more time to review the Act since it had been rushed through the House of Commons without debate. I haven't seen anything in the press saying they have passed it yet.

And I have to say that you gave me great news. I'm very worried about the loopholes that can let Catholicism reach heirs to the Throne.

There are no loopholes. Royals could marry Catholics and not be barred from the line of succession. Currently the nearest a Catholic is going to get to the throne would be marrying Prince Henry. If a the heir wishes to marry a Catholic, they can but they must remain Anglican themselves and raise the heir accordingly.

Last edited:
The legislation will probably be forgotten until this child has children, if it's a boy. I personaly hope for a boy like Catherine.

I kind of hope it's a boy in part so that the hoopla surrounding the legislation dies down. I do think the rules need to be changed, but the rush to do it is going to end up having unexpected consequences. Far better to review it at a more careful pace. If this child is a girl, then the succession doesn't come into play until the next child is born, and if this child is a boy then it comes into play if a girl is born next followed by a son. The issue shouldn't be tabled simply because a boy is born, but it shouldn't be rushed simply because a girl is (or, as is the case, might be) born.

Anyway, I can't see the new rules take so long to be passed that the Duchess had already had another child.

I don't think the legislation is designed to allow Catholicism to reach the heirs. It's simply designed to allow heirs to marry Catholics and remain in the line of succession, so long as their heirs are raised Anglican. This isn't all that different from how things are now - now if an heir marries a Catholic he/she loses their place in the succession, but their children are able to be in the line so long as they're raised Anglican (as seen with the children of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent).

As I understand it the Canadian Senate also decided they wanted more time to review the Act since it had been rushed through the House of Commons without debate. I haven't seen anything in the press saying they have passed it yet.

The last discussion I saw of it in the Canadian press was that there was a debate as to whether or not changing the succession changes the constitution. If the senate rushes it without consulting the provinces there can be a constitutional crisis.

The rush to push the new law thru seems unneccesary.If baby is boy - same old procedure. If it is a girl, it doesn't come into play until a second child is born which probably doesn't happen til 2015 (unless Kate pulls a Jessica Simpson). Nick Clegg who is the big pusher for the law probably thinks he will be out of office by then so he is pushing it now.

The conflict with the marrying a Catholic if you are in direct line for the throne is the papal law would require your kids to be Catholic. If you were super strict Catholic this would be a big deal if you are marrying the future head of the CoE. If you are not super strict, you would probably covert like Autumn did.

Skippyboo, your last point is the one which has worried any, me included, since this proposal was put forward. As the deputy PMis married to a Catholic you would think he'd understand this but no, he says it's not a problem.

He also has,it seems to me,have completely forgotten the 15realms and the risk of different rules applying to individual commonwealth countries at any moment in time - if agreement is ever reached.

Time is needed to consider this and what should happen is just 1st born is monarch regardless of gender should be agreed ASAP and the religious element given more time as it is not a matter of urgency.

Kate Middleton: Duchess of Cambridge reveals she wants a son but says Prince William would prefer a daughter | Mail Online

"The Duchess of Cambridge said today that she hopes her baby is a boy.
But Kate, who is five months pregnant, said Prince William would prefer to have a girl.
The Duchess made the revelations while speaking to a soldier during the couple's visit to Mons Barracks in Aldershot, Hampshire, for a St Patrick's Day parade."
Part of me wonders if Catherine actually said that. I guess I have a hard time believing anything from the Daily Mail without proof (e.g. video footage).

What she said was that she would like a boy and William wanted a girl which is very different. And there is no problem IMo in her saying that. Next week it might be the other way round!

I think she is trying to draw a line under the mistake made a week ago when it was thought that she said she was definitely expecting a girl. The fact that is was proven that she didn't say that did not make all of the papers. This way she is making it clear that public ally they do not know. Anything she said will have been agreed with William.

The point regarding Catholics is very valid, and most Catholics would likely either convert or wish to raise their children Catholic, in which case they wouldn't be eligible for a place in the succession.

However, we have seen cases where Catholics who haven't converted have raised their children as Anglicans - the Princess Michael being such a person. Her children are in the line of succession because they're not Catholic, but her husband isn't because he's married to a Catholic. It seems to me that this attempt at reforming the law isn't necessarily about putting a Catholic on the throne as it is about addressing issues like that. What makes Prince Michael less eligible for the throne than the Duke of Kent (whose wife converted) or Lord Frederick (whose mother is Catholic)?

Honestly I dont believe a word he said. I think Kate wouldn't confide that info after what happened with all the 'd' thing IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom